[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>code geass is the only mecha i like because it's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: anta baka.jpg (89KB, 613x693px) Image search: [Google]
anta baka.jpg
89KB, 613x693px
>code geass is the only mecha i like because it's not just about the giant robots
Why do i keep seeing non mechafags say this bullshit over and over?
>>
>>15478988
Well I can give you the version that's accurate, or the version that's mostly accurate but goes out of its way to make you feel superior. Which one would you prefer to hear?
>>
>>15478993
I don't think anyone wants your kind of input period.
>>
Newfags and normies have weird ways of trying to justify their tastes. Have you ever heard a fan of Rwby try to defend themselves?
>>
>>15479004
No what do they say?
>>
>>15478988
They're right, it's also about fetishistic character designs and interactions, retarded politics and mind magicks.
>>
>>15479127
Code Geass is not any less about giant robots than any other Sunrise mecha made in the same decade
>>
I think IBO actually had less Mecha fanfare.
And that isn't a good thing.
>>
>>15479004
>>15479107
An acquaintance of mine, discussing Gundam:
>Amuro is a shittier version of Kira.
>Destiny sucked, except for the last 10 episodes where Kira is the main character again.
>What Kira did in Destiny was 100% justified, and not terrorism. What CB did in 00 S1 was terrorism.
>Char is justified in backstabbing people, because his family were killed by the Zabis.
>Shinn's family dying is no justification for him killing anyone, even if Kira actually did kill them.
>Mika is a very relatable character.
>IBO is the best Gundam series to date (this was back when S1 had finished).
>IBO's bad animation is acceptable, because Sunrise are on a tight budget.
>I've watched every single Gundam series. What's ZZ? Did you mean the second half of Zeta? Who's Judau?
>>
>>15479133
>>Destiny sucked, except for the last 10 episodes where Kira is the main character again.
I used to hear this shit all the time around anime club circles back when Destiny was fairly new.
>>
File: brain problems.jpg (44KB, 289x299px) Image search: [Google]
brain problems.jpg
44KB, 289x299px
>Valvrave is shit but Code Geass isn't
>>
>>15479140
Geass had better music, character designs and a far more satisfying ending.
It also had more than three mecha designs.
>>
>>15479147
You're right, they're both shit.
>>
>>15478988
They said that same thing about Evangelion, Asuka, so no need to complain about Code Geass for picking up your gimmick.
>>
>>15479140
It's simple. I don't like any characters in Valvrave but I do like a few in Code Geass and the mecha designs aren't so neon colored. most of the time.
>>
>>15478993
Somehow manged to peak my interest. Do tell both the accurate version and the superior version
>>
>>15479133
>What's ZZ? Did you mean the second half of Zeta? Who's Judau?
keke
>>
>>15479147
Just because one type of shit smells a little less doesn't mean it's not still a pile of shit.
>>
>>15478988
>>15479891
Well the accurate version is that it has a heavy character focus, but while it doesn't actually have less mecha or be "not about the giant robots" any more than any other mecha show, it's just accessible/popular enough that the general audience is willing to make an exception.

But they don't want to say they like mecha for whatever reason so they make up a reason to say that it "doesn't count". They try to present it as the exception that proves the rule. Or, they just genuinely don't like mecha as a whole but like this show anyway, and have concluded that this is the reason why.

The version that makes you sound superior is that they're a bunch of dumbasses who are obsessed with feeling mature over their taste in Japanese cartoons, and consider mecha as childish so they refuse to say they like them or go out of their way to not like them, and you the mecha fan are in fact the more mature one because you don't discriminate between shows and will enjoy anything.

I suppose the main difference between "accurate' and "superior" is that one gives at least part of the audience the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes people just like a show in a genre they don't usually otherwise enjoy and feel a need to rationalise it to their pre-existing standards. "i hate all moeshit, but k-on isn't moeshit because i like it". That sort of thing.
>>
>>15478988
Because they like the non mecha aspects of it.

>but there's this other mecha show where the mecha isnt the focus
Yes but people who arent into mecha probably wont know much about mecha and reasonably assume mecha is an important thing on shows labeled mecha anime.
>>
>>15479147
>and a far more satisfying ending
About to be ruined come November of 2017.
>>
>>15479926
But everyone on this board is obsessed about feeling mature over their taste in Etruscan vase etchings
>>
>>15479956
Not really. Lelouch's survival was always a popular interpretation. What matters is the lie, not whether he's alive or not.
>>
>i liked evangelion a lot but mecha as a genre is stupid
The worst. I cut contact after they started talking shit about 0080.
>>
>>15479133
>Char is justified in backstabbing people, because his family were killed by the Zabis.
He's right, nice shitpost tho.
>>
>>15480292
>What Kira did in Destiny was 100% justified, and not terrorism. What CB did in 00 S1 was terrorism.
>Shinn's family dying is no justification for him killing anyone, even if Kira actually did kill them.

Read more than one line of the post. the point isn't that Char wasn't justified, but that Shinn somehow isn't justified altough it's the same situation.
>>
>>15478988

By definition, non mechafags don't watch a lot of mecha. I hope that's not a difficult point to understand.

But they are also right. Code Geass isn't about the robots in the same way that a lot of shows are.

Code Geass has mechs, yes. But, if we are being honest, with the exception of enabling Suzaku's importance they don't really add much to the story. Replace them with generic modern day fighter planes and nothing changes. This wouldn't work for a lot of mecha shows, for instance the original 0079 Gundam with generic modern day planes would absolutely fall apart because you'd have to introduce like 20 different 'super prototype planes' just to keep the plot following anything like the original progression. Gundam shows are largely about the mobilesuits, there is a reason why the show is named what it is. And any super-robot show hinges on the robot, because of course it does.

Code Geass has Knightmare Frames, but their importance to the plot pales in comparison to the Geass power(s), and Lelouch's own character arc. You could swap out the knightmare frames without much trouble, but removing the geass powers would totally break the show.

We focus on the mecha, so thats how we define the show. But to a lot of people, Code Geass is a Paul Atreides story with supernatural elements if Paul's favorite book was V for Vendetta. The fact that it also has robots in it is just a coincidence.
>>
>>15480286

Have you considered that they liked Eva for the character focus, rather than the mechs? Like half the episodes of the show don't even have giant robot fights.
>>
File: gundam black guy MS Igloo.png (247KB, 436x460px) Image search: [Google]
gundam black guy MS Igloo.png
247KB, 436x460px
>/m/ used to be my main board
>haven't visited due to other forms of autism
>come back for the first time in months
>first thread I see is /m/ elitism/superiority complex thread
I'm home
>>
>>15481012
I never understood this line of reasoning, because the best mecha anime will make the characters and mecha go hand in hand. Like, it doesn't matter how cool your mechas are if we don't give a shit about who is piloting them and why.

Like, Gundam 0079 isn't JUST a show with robots, it's a show about inexperienced teenagers and civvies learning how to run a warship and work together. It's a show about how war effects these characters in various ways. The robots are a vehicle that drives this. The gundam isn't just a robot, it's a vehicle that drives Amuro into a position of responsibility, which forces him to learn and grow as a character.
>>
>>15481188

Thats true. The best shows make good use of both. Evangelion's strength is its characters, but their situation is shaped by the specific trauma of the Evangelions so much that the show doesn't work without their inclusion.

But not all shows have the mecha as foundational. You can tell the story of Code Geass without once mentioning a knightmare frame and casting it as just a political story. You can tell the story of SDF Macross without mentioning VFs.

You can't tell the story of Gundam without mobile suits. You can't tell the story of Mazinger without Mazinger, or Getter without Getter. If the show can't survive the exclusion of its mecha, the mecha is foundational.

This, in itself, IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF THE QUALITY OF THE SHOW, FOR OR AGAINST. But it does help explain why people who typically don't enjoy mecha shows might enjoy a show where the mecha are not foundational to the story.
>>
>>15481217
Eh, you could replace the Evas with Personas or something mystical like that where the dead souls of someone's moms can be put.

Gundam can be told with tanks, place and space ships. It doesn't strictly need robots.

Even Mazinger could be told as a magical boy show, to be honest, like magical armors come flying and they give the main character powers.
>>
>>15481469
*planes
>>
>>15479956
>November of 2017.
Oh did they announce the release date?
>>
>>15481217
I'd argue that you could at least come close to telling Gundam without mobile suits - Amuro as a French farmboy in WWI taking to the skies against the Red Baron could be the same story with slightly different ESP mysticism. (Hell, you could do the Hundred Years' War and have him ride a unicorn into jousts with the Red Knight Karl.) It's a middle-ground prototype of reals where the exact nature of his steed doesn't matter as long as there is one and it's special enough to carry him through his first couple battles; this is very far from Mazinger or Getter or even Eva, even though it's also very far from Geass where the Mirage could easily have been Lelouch's presidential limo as long as it could tank machine gun fire while operating as a mobile situation room.
>>
>>15479140

People actually say this?

But I thought Valvrave's appeal was that it was a steaming trainwreck of shit that mastered the art of the cliffhanger?
>>
>>15481469
>Gundam can be told with tanks, place and space ships. It doesn't strictly need robots.

No you can't because the original show specifically goes out out of its way to show the robots mopping the floor against tanks and ships and how this one motherfucking white devil robot is used on land, sea, air, and space.
>>
>>15478988
Kind of a weird question, but is there any art of Asuka or Rei displaying as their respective Eva units? Or any pilot gals doing so for that matter?
>>
>>15481568
>displaying
bent over for fucking displaying or just like, being shown displaying
>>
>>15481604
Cosplaying. I meant cosplaying.
>>
>>15481555
A Metal Slug!
>>
File: 1414880583799.jpg (26KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1414880583799.jpg
26KB, 720x480px
>>15478988
> I am interested in the mecha anime genre and keep browsing /m/ threads waiting for the discovery of something I may actually like.
>maybe next year something good will come
>waiting since 1999
>I may not actually like it
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.