[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the dialogue in Zeta so weird sometimes? 0079 had goofy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: vlcsnap-2017-04-20-20h21m04s240.png (535KB, 984x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-20-20h21m04s240.png
535KB, 984x720px
Why is the dialogue in Zeta so weird sometimes? 0079 had goofy stuff but every single episode someone says something completely out-of-character.

Take pic related for example, Emma is a pretty grounded character and then she says something like this to Bright.

I am enjoying Zeta but happened to Tomino between series that he included the very strange dialogue? Not even mentioning the fact that the AEUG is apparently motivated by saving Earth's environment?
>>
What exactly bothers you about those particular examples?
>>
>>15453907
Mostly because it doesn't really sound natural at all.

'Not wanting to promote a mother complex' is something that you find in a review,perhaps, or character analysis not straight-up dialogue.

So, I guess it's mostly because there's no subtlety to it. If it was said in a more roundabout 'human' way I wouldn't have much of a problem with it.
>>
>>15453919
I agree it a kind of blunt way of putting it.
Tomino kind of does that: trying really hard to push the themes forward so people complain that he is ham-handed but it seems to me those people just accept uncritically anything any character says without further analyzing it and fail to register how this expresses the way the characters actually feel and it's overall significance to the story and the themes.
>>
Isn't that just a matter of wording?
It might be the translation then, what does the voice track say? Perhaps the translation is a little less literal in that one.

Though I have to agree that especially the females hvae serious WTF moments. Especially Emma and Reccoa. One of them defects to the enemy because Char doesn't want her dick? Even most women aren't that cock hungry, although it might be the age. Biological clock's ticking!
>>
>>15454035
>because Char doesn't want her dick
>>
>>15454035
Reccoa has been a soldier almost her whole life, and has always been treated as such. She wants to be treated like women, and joins the Titans because Scirocco actually treats her like one. This causes her to come into conflict with Emma who says that her emotions can wait until after the war.
>>
>>15454060
>treats her like a woman
Like a toy.

I mean you're right that's the reason she does it but shit, why were so many people duped by the psychic psychopath?
>>
>>15454144

because he's a charismatic
>>
>>15453900
Its mostly Tomino having good ideas but being absolute SHIT at writing dioloag desu. It makes sense for Emma who rejects love in the line of duty to push the job of "loveing" Kamille of to Fa.
>>
>>15454060
>I'm tired of being a soldier
>should I leave the military and settle down somewhere?
>no, I'll continue being a soldier and now a fucking traitor

Rest in pieces you dumb whore.
>>
>>15454060
Just soldier doesn't describe her character.

She had to become a teenage guerilla fighter after Zeon killed all of her friends and family, and then as a guerilla fighter all of her brothers in arms died too. And AEUG sends her on suicide spy missions and she doesn't mind because she knows there's no attachment between her and her allies, something the show demonstrates after she gets shot during the entire infiltrating Haman's ship arc.

>>15454144
If Sarah is any indication he doesn't consider them just disposable. Even if he controls them he seems to show emotion towards them.
>>
>>15454892
>If Sarah is any indication he doesn't consider them just disposable. Even if he controls them he seems to show emotion towards them.
A kid can be kind to his toys, and in a way that's sweet. But they're still just toys to him.
>>
>>15454898
>they're still toys to him

you better not say that over at /toy/
>>
>>15454035
I would agree it's the wording.

Something along the lines of "Simply put, I don't want to encourage Kamille's mother issues" would likely be a bit better, though still incredibly blunt.
>>
>>15453900
I liked Bright's reaction
>Kamille is attracted to me
>uhh okay
>I won't encourage his mother complex
>oh that makes sense
>>
>>15454845
This. UC fags seem absolutely blind to the atrocious dialogue Tomino writes. Yes, the directing is good. Yes, the art is nice. Yes, the setting is smartly designed. Yes, the overall plot is good. BUT the dialogue always fucking sucks.
>>
>>15455335
>Yes, the directing is good.
nope
>>
>>15455335
>he had to become a teenage guerilla fighter after Zeon killed all of her friends and family, and then as a guerilla fighter all of her brothers in arms died too. And AEUG sends her on suicide spy missions and she doesn't mind because she knows there's no attachment between her and her allies, something the show demonstrates after she gets shot during the entire infiltrating Haman's ship arc.

Tomino writes good dialog, it's just that you won't find that in the Gundam shows that he has worked on. I don't why but his best works are all not gundam related. Maybe after the Gundam movie trilogy he simply didn't give a shit about Gundam anymore.
>>
>>15453900

Someone should bring out that Wings of Rean interview where Tomino brings out his explanation of how he does dialogue.

His dialogue is a bit eccentric at times, but when it get's incoherent that is just subbers sucking.

>>15455381
Like what? Be Invoked maybe ? Ideon TV and L-Gaim are both worse than any of his Gundam series. Dunbine is basically a prototype of Zeta writing wise ( especially the dialogue). And Zambot 3 is bad. Is it Daitarn 3 and Xabungle you are thinking of ? Because all of his post-Victory stuff is like Zeta styled writing taken to the extreme. If you like that style like I do then those shows are great, but I can't imagine someone complaining about Zeta's dialogue but not Brain Powerd's.
>>
File: 1490551837953.jpg (32KB, 485x434px) Image search: [Google]
1490551837953.jpg
32KB, 485x434px
>>15453900
I mean what else are you supposed to say when some effiminate autist is trying to get you to play mommy for him?
>>
>>15455381
I am genuinely intrigued. Mind giving any examples?
>>
>>15455493
Garzey's Wing obviously
>>
>>15455499
HUMANS
>>
>>15453919
Perhaps it's because you're reading a translation that can't exactly capture the intent of the original japanese?
>>
>>15454886
She's an adrenaline junkie, she's lived most of her youth and her entire adult life on the battlefield and now she can't live without it

She hates herself for it, but she's also honest to herself that she's not fighting for any ideal but just because she needs the thrill of battle. Hence how she can defect, she never believed in AEUG's cause but fought alongside them because she was allowed into combat and held a position of respect while doing so.
>>
>people still pushing the "Tomino is good at dialogue" meme

His dialogue is not subtle.
It's not natural.
It's not clever.
It's not intentionally funny.

Tomino characters blurt out Tomino's thoughts in extremely blunt and awkward ways at arbitrary moments.

He fucking sucks but no one can just admit it. It's always >translators >jap nuance >u just don't get it
>>
>>15456872
Prove it. Give evidence that it is none of those 3 things.
>>
>>15456879

Name a single clever line or good joke Tomino has written.
>>
>>15456872
You just lack analytical skill.

The nuance of any literary work would clearly be lost on you, not just Tomino's.
>>
File: nobell understands women.jpg (196KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nobell understands women.jpg
196KB, 1920x1080px
>>15456882
>>
>>15456885

>u just don't get it
>>
>>15455335
I actually enjoy his strange way of writing. He slams some themes flat out and others, he nuances between sections of conversations where you need to connect the dots. Not saying it's great or anything, but at least it keeps me interested rather than just flat out spelling out everything or hiding everything. He writes really strangely, but that's what the best gundam has been about for me. I love all the ova gundams, but tomino just gives me something that they don't.
>>
>>15456895

But he actually does just blatantly spell out everything. Like in the last episode of G-Reco when Raraiya randomly starts screaming about evil adults.
>>
>>15456892
Yeah, and there's nothing I nor anyone else could ever say to make you get it, because you're CHOOSING not to get it. You've decided in advance what your opinion is and will just ignore anything to the contrary.

I could try giving you an analysis of one of Tomino's characters and their dialogue and development, which are obviously tightly linked, but doing so would cost considerably more effort than the immediate dismissal it would receive.

You've set yourself up in a position that consists of "I don't like this thing and no one else should, and I can't be convinced otherwise" which is completely unassailable by any method, be it rational discussion or violent ad hominem-laden ranting - so there's no point in bothering, when I could just discuss analyses of Tomino's work with people who can understand them. The only problem with this arrangement is that people like you can just wander in and, like a wailing child in a coffee shop, start a tirade about how we're all wrong and it's actually terrible and instead we should all - well, your plan doesn't stretch that far ahead, but never mind.

How about, if you so badly cannot stand Tomino's dialogue, you instead just never talk or think about it again, and leave the people who want to discuss it in peace?
>>
>>15456932

>u just don't get it

You have no argument. Just "you don't get it and don't want to, pls go." Stop pretending you are smart.
>>
>>15456938
Whatever bro
>>
>>15456952

Sorry buddy, you don't get to play it off like that.
In response to a simple assertion that Tomino is shit at dialogue you proceeded to write a page long rant filled with insults and ironic accusations of throwing a "tirade." You made yourself look like a big autistic clown.

If you were as smart and cool as you now want to portray yourself as, you'd have just ignored the original post. Keep this in mind for next time.
>>
>>15453900
I feel like this is probably a translation/localization thing.
But I have realized that Tomino's works usually have weird dialog at times.
>>
>>15453900
to be fair the kid did just lose her mom
>>
>>15456882

" Lalah Sune was a woman who could have been a mother to me"

That line really unveils Char's deep seeded issues and the way his inability to get over his personal demons lead to his downfall. It is also highlights the way UC Gundam emphasizes parental-child relationships and the fallout from their failures. Char does'nt feel like he could ever become the person he could have been because he lost his parents, Lalah could have filled that role for him, hence why it was so devastating to lose her and why he could never really get over it.
>>
>>15453900
A.) General Tomino weirdness.
B.) There's probably a shit ton of weird syntax unique to Japanese that the translator didn't feel like localizing.

It's also because Kamille has the mother complex of the fucking century.
>>
>>15453900
EMMA IS CUTE.

CUUUUUUUUUUUTE!
>>
>>15456841
She clearly says 'hahau' or however you spell the word for mother.
>>
>>15457417

>He wanted to fuck his mom
>>
>>15453900
>Why is the dialogue in Zeta so weird sometimes?
Tomino. Watch G-Reco and see.
>>
File: q.png (655KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
655KB, 1920x1080px
>>15457558
>>
>>15459080
>Didn't let the good doctor fondle her tits to see if there are ahy weird bumps

Dumb bitch.
>>
>>15454035
Reccoa is only 21. She's younger than Emma.
>>
File: tomino dialog.jpg (176KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
tomino dialog.jpg
176KB, 720x540px
Take this screenshot, it surely will be liked in the thread
>>
>>15453919
She's a straightforward soldier, it's not surprising that she is blunt
>>
>>15453900
You dont understand context.
She sees Reccoa hurting Kamille heart and believes it is because he likes older women, not because RECCOA IS A FUCKING HOT REDHEAD. So she keeps this mindset trying to be a valorous woman for not letting a boy be touched by her seduction.
>>
>>15455335
you're just too dumb to understand it. the world is not square.
>>
>>15456952
>the best part about being unhittable isn't dodging all your shots, it's showing everyone online!
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.