[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Hollywood ever does a live action Gundam (and assuming they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

File: Gundamep41b.jpg (68KB, 800x595px) Image search: [Google]
Gundamep41b.jpg
68KB, 800x595px
If Hollywood ever does a live action Gundam (and assuming they settle on UC and not Wing), is there any chance at all that they won't erase the late 70s/early 80s aesthetics? I thought they did a commendable job of transferring A New Hope's to Rogue One, and it would be nice to see a sci-fi movie that made a concerted effort to dress the actors and set in a unique, purposeful way.
>>
>>15442567
G-Saviour
>>
>>15442652
>Hollywood
>>
>>15442659
It's the same shit unless you're suggesting Hollywood is good.
>I thought they did a commendable job of transferring A New Hope's to Rogue One
Making ANH clones is actually rather pathetic
>>
>>15442671
G-Saviour wasn't made by America though.

and Rogue One wasn't an ANH clone at all. It had a lot of flaws sure but TFA was the clone.
>>
>>15442683
There's barely any difference between Canada and America
>>
>>15442689
You clearly haven't watched Canadian produced television and cinema then.
>>
>>15442695
I'm Canadian though
>>
>>15442671
>Making ANH clones is actually rather pathetic
RO wasn't a clone, they just transferred the 70s scifi fashion/tech aesthetic, which must have been really difficult.

>It's the same shit unless you're suggesting Hollywood is good.
They're two different entities, and one hasn't made a Gundam yet.
>>
>>15442763
So start watching your native television and cinema.
>>
>>15442763
Do you see the shit your nation produces by itself? Somehow it's worse than the crap we US Americans push out.
>>
File: e0d794b88fa674e4abe429c8a56132ce.jpg (449KB, 1600x797px) Image search: [Google]
e0d794b88fa674e4abe429c8a56132ce.jpg
449KB, 1600x797px
>>15442567

What do you think?
>>
>>15442797
>>15442773
I guess I'll go look for Canadian shit.
>>
>>15442858
Is there a lower low in animation history than Canadian hits Johnny Test and My Life Me?
>>
>>15442838
Supposedly part of the reason the new TV series has been stuck in limbo is because some higher ups wanted it to look more like the JJverse rather than like TOS.
>>
>>15442871

Ewww.
>>
>>15442838
>>15442871
>>15442980
When will "the future looks like an apple store" meme end?
>>
File: 1477181050484.jpg (29KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
1477181050484.jpg
29KB, 648x648px
>>15442567
If Hollywood ever does a live action Gundam
and if they go with UC, they'll probably dumbed it down
Like making Federation the heroes and all of Zeon are demented space nazis.
I'm a Fed fag but I like the several shades of grey the series has, Feds are not clear-cut good guys and theres several Zeon soliders that can be sympathetic and you can even root for them
>>
>>15443136
That's because Gundam, and most post-war war media that comes out of japan, separates soldiers and warmakers in a way completely unfamiliar to Americans and American media.

If Hollywood ever made a UC Gundam movie they'd, as you said, just make the Feds cartoonishly good guy America and Zeon cartoonishly evil nazis, because the average murrican cant wrap their heads around that level of complexity.

I mean fuck half of /m/ can't even wrap their heads around the concept, just look at any thread about the depiction of Feds or Zeon.

Also they'd completely redesign all the ships and mobile suits in the worst ways possible, because Hollywood can't into mechanical design. They'd be completely unrecognizable.

God just trying to imagine a bayformers style Gundam or Zaku almost made me throw up on my keyboard.
>>
>>15443136
Imagine how they'd butcher 00 now
>>
>>15443191
Japan already did that in 00 season 2.
>>
>>15443191
They'd never touch Wing or 00 because the terrorists are the protagonists
>>
>>15443201
Heroes, freedom fighters and cool vigilantes who stand up and fight for the right thing just like Batman and the founding fathers which is all as American as momma's apple pie and fireworks on the Fourth of July and the star spangled banner and bald eagles.

They could totally do them.
>Young american patriot Seth F Smith has a secret he hasn't even told to his loving parents. In secret he pilots a giant robot in a mission to keep peace overseas, intervening in international conflicts
etc

I'm too tired right now to lay it on properly thick but it could be done.
>>
>>15442567
>If Hollywood ever does a live action Gundam (and assuming they settle on UC and not Wing)
They would do UC, and "fans" would be "vindicated" in all the fake news articles - "Finally, the west gets a proper Universal Century movie!" would be parroted. Even though actual fans are satisfied with the original cartoon and novel.

>is there any chance at all that they won't erase the late 70s/early 80s aesthetics?
There is 0 chance. It would all become Apple-esque white/silver iPod looking shit.

>I thought they did a commendable job of transferring A New Hope's to Rogue One
That's because Star Wars is BIG, like super big, and they know everyone is watching every little aspect of everything in every film. They can afford to have experts cover everything and they know it pays off unlike many other studios.

>it would be nice to see a sci-fi movie that made a concerted effort to dress the actors and set in a unique, purposeful way.
Have you ever seen any Hollywood """adaptations"""", like, ever?
>>
File: 1462614905667.jpg (93KB, 848x839px) Image search: [Google]
1462614905667.jpg
93KB, 848x839px
>>15442567
If Hollywood ever does live action Gundam I want to see a Char-centric 0079.

I don't have much faith they'd do it, though, because Hollywood seems to be completely allergic to good characters like Thrawn.
>>
>>15443597
This being said I would also enjoy Gundam 00 with Setsuna as the protagonist.
>>
Let's play a game /m/.
Hollywood UC Gundam movie, based on the original 0079 series.

Pick a character

Who would you cast for the role, and why.

Who do you just know Hollywood would end up casting for the role instead, and why would they be shit.
>>
>>15443612
Amuro: (((Eisenberg)))
>>
>>15442838
And how the fuck are they going to redesign the uniforms, so we take them seriously walking on that bridge?
>>
>>15442797
I thought that was just because Canadian TV stations shit out canadian TV shows because they get tax breaks for it. G Savior didn't air on TV so it shouldn't of had any thing different from Hollywood at the time, other than worse CGI
>>
>>15443655
>so we take them seriously walking on that bridge?
That's not happening.
>>
File: 46d61c15a6ce5aa71c51daf7bc32578d.jpg (272KB, 1100x588px) Image search: [Google]
46d61c15a6ce5aa71c51daf7bc32578d.jpg
272KB, 1100x588px
>>15442838
This was a pretty comfy bridge though. Though more modern aesthetics with a touch of retro.
>>
>>15443012
>>15442838

Massive irony is that this look is now incredibly dated as well.
>>
>>15443768
As a generic starship bridge it's pretty nice.

As a Trek bridge I just don't buy it. Trek managed to keep a strong degree of function over form while still having a distinct style, this is all form with little care for function.
>>
>>15443612
>Pick a character
Amuro

>Who would you cast for the role, and why.
Tom Holland. Despite being in his early 20s he's shown he can play an up-and-coming young hero well, and he's proven so far to have a decent range of acting ability. Plus he's no stranger to the "young adult tech genius turned hero" role. And he could very easily pull off the look.
AND he's got the star power now that would draw in the "normies" so studio execs might actually let you greenlight him for the role.

>Who do you just know Hollywood would end up casting for the role instead, and why would they be shit.
>>15443636
Jesse Eisenberg is basically a Nega-Holland, in all the worst ways possible.
>>
>>15442567
They might go the route similar to what Thunderbolt did. Not too different from the template designs, but with just enough extra detail to stand out and pop on a big cinema screen.

Or it'll be another design by committee mess and you end up with a concept art.com future aesthetic with useless glowing lights and yet another hollywood not-ironman space suit design.
>>
unrelated to ops question, but on the subject of the viability of a live-action Hollywood UC Gundam adaptation,the average joe probably wouldn't have the slightest idea of what Gundam is, and even less when it comes to UC, Toonami fans might remember, but that's about it.

Hollywood wants money, and niche franchises don't really rake in that much.

A live-action movie of this kind would only work in Japan due to the cultural significance of Gundam in Japan and the fact that pretty much everyone there knows about it, that's really the only place I see this kinda thing happening.
>>
>>15443768
Looks like a cheap Dr Who set.
>>
>>15442671
>It's the same shit

Not even close. G-Savior was a Canadian production made for Japanese audiences. "Hollywood" wasn't involved at all.
>>
>>15443453
I want HiroSnow to wordfilter "fake" to "best" with a random neon font color, like they did with "penis" on /b/ years ago.
>>
>>15443612
If it were being done a few years ago, I'd get Shia Labeouf for Amuro. Not joking. He has the jewfro and he can play headstrong angst perfectly. He's too old now, though.

I don't really have any strong feelings about anyone else. Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Bright? An Actual Japanese Woman for Mirai?
>>
>>15443678
It was made for Japanese television.
>>
>>15443778
What's dysfunctional?
>>
>>15443796
>Tom Holland
I would like less mediocre white dudes getting propped up by big roles they don't really deserve thanks.
>>
>>15443913
This.
>>
>>15443886
Wing would probably be the choice for adaptation, as it's the series Americans are MOST familiar with. It's practically the American Gundam, as I hear tell that the Japanese don't care for it much. Anyway, we all know how that'll go down.
>>
>>15444058
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>15445843
That was made in Canada on a low budget.
>>
>>15442567
Think of it this way: how exactly are they trying to sell Gundam when they make the movie?

The thing is that most Americans don't know what Mobile Suit Gundam is (which is part of why this would never happen).
They wouldn't get a nostalgic kick out of the people being in retro costumes, because they have no nostalgia for the series. If Japan did a live action movie, sure, you could use the old costumes.

The other problem is that people doing fantasy shit live-action need a lot of smoothing out. The more stupid they look, the more fucked up your suspension of disbelief gets.

Hollywood remade Star Trek (genuinely popular in the US) and while there are some callbacks, they still clearly wanted to modernize the aesthetic because I think that just hits all the markets at once.
>>
>>15442567
Oh, they would shit over Gundam all over and care about nothing. The old school aesthetics will be totally gone. See, the difference with Star Wars and Gundam is that there's a huge amount of moviegoers in USA that cares about Lucas' creation. They can't screw it up because they'll get a huge backlash in their own country. Gundam? Only a meaningless percentage of the population in USA cares so much as to complain about the adaptation. Worst case scenario people don't watch it, as it happens with GiTS.
>>
>>15446722
>The thing is that most Americans don't know what Mobile Suit Gundam is
Most Americans didn't know what "All You Need Is Kill" was either.
>>
>>15442567
>White base bridge and mobile suit cockpits are like something out of apple store
>Amuro is 21
>So is every other teenager
>The three little kids have no lines and only cameo as fan bait
>Haro is a program buddy instead of a robot buddy
>The whole series is compressed into a single movie where the entire Zabi family mount some sorta megazord mobile suit
>Get killed by Amuro and Char
>Ramba Ral plot remains same for the most part
>Black tri stars are there in the final battle against the mega-zabi-zord as regular mooks who get blasted in split second

Need i go on?
>>
>>15442567
well they might make the mobile suit and the gundam not as important and make the tanks and jets practical to appeal the main audience since giant robots are stupid
>>
>>15446908
I'll go one worse:

>they make the mobile suits into power armor
>film gets critically panned for "copying iron man"
>>
>Inb4 Black Amuro and feminist Frau
>>
>>15446955
>>Inb4 Black Amuro
I was literally about to make a joke that they'd probably cast Jaden Smith or some shit for the progressive points.
>>
>>15446959
>>15446955

They'll probably rename "White Base".
>>
>>15446964
They'll probably drop the "white base" part and just call it "The Pegasus," and then overemphasize the horselike appearance to the point it looks even more cartoonish and silly.
>>
>>15446955
Oh boy, don't start this circlejerk without me.
>>
I always thought a Hollywood Gundam could be one of the more faithful attempts. A lot of characters are way more easy to translate into film. Just make a war movie, but with mechs and space.
Just gonna worry about people calling it a "Star Wars ripoff" cause it's got laser weapons and a guy that wears a mask.
>>
>>15447024
>I always thought a Hollywood Gundam could be one of the more faithful attempts.
I want to live in whatever world it is you live in.
>>
>>15446834
Char's revenge story is good enough.
>>
>>15446952
but wasn't MSG originally going to be about power armor
>>
>>15447390
Yes, that's half the joke.
>>
>Sieg john
>>
>>15446659
>>>/pol/
>>
File: Comb18042017113340.jpg (125KB, 891x768px) Image search: [Google]
Comb18042017113340.jpg
125KB, 891x768px
Y'all think I'm joking about this Amuro Labeouf thing.
>>
>>15447808
I would be ok with this
>>
>>15447808
>They faithfully cast Amuro with a Canadian/Hispanic bi-racial ginger actor
>Everyone complains and ignores the fact that he's not Japanese in the original anime.
>>
>>15448531
Amuro is a canadian Japanese. His mom was Canadian and Tem was a nip
>>
>>15447808
I think modern LeBouf could pull off a good Char.

Or Bright.
>>
>>15447808

>Shia Leblownthefuckout
>Acting ever again

top kek
>>
>>15448531
You'd be surprised the number of idiots who think that every character in anime is 100% ethnically Japanese without exception.
>>
>>15442567

they only bother in Star Wars because it's the biggest franchise in film history practically (besides a few like James Bond) and the last time they didn't recreate the original trilogy properly fans shit on Lucas so hard he didn't wanna bother making more, so now they make stale by the number imitations of the original trilogy and unsurprisingly, it sells like hotcakes

Americans don't give a shit about Gundam or any other old japanese things they pretend to give a shit about (Godzilla, Power Rangers, Voltron, all of the things that are memes that people pretend to love because nerdy is cool now)
>>
>>15447808

he's too old now
>>
>>15447390
Yes, but power armor i=back in the late 70s and 80s was not popular, and Fallout 3 and iron Man MCU movies made power armors mainstream popular, and lets be honest giant mechas will appeal to a few japanese fans, weebs and children, the Guntank, jetfighter and space jetsfighters, tanks, ifvs, powerarmors will make more sence and if the put zakus as mech they might make them the size of a Votoms tropper
>>
>>15449680
If they're going to fuck up the scale they're more likely to make the too big than too small.
>>
>>15449700
they'll do like FlareTrek and make it about the right size, but then JJ will be a retard and want a scene of the Core Fighter flying around inside the Gundam
>>
>movie is 180 minutes
>only 10 minutes of any actual mecha action, 8 of them being the climax of Char vs Amuro where they fight in MSs for a little bit before ejecting and fighting hand to hand for seemingly no reason.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
I want to drop a colony on Hollywood. There's not a snowball's chance in hell that a big-budget Hollywood MSG adaptation would be anything but name-recognition casual-bait, where one side is good and the other is bad. I could only imagine how frustratingly ugly the mobile suits would look to appear "gritty and realistic".
>>
>>15449680
>and Fallout 3 and iron Man MCU movies made power armors mainstream popular

Are you joking?
>>
Mirai, Frau, and Sayla will be played by Scarlett Johanson.

Tom Cruise will be Amuro

Matthew McConnahey will be char.
>>
>>15452130
*southern accent*

"Now hamahn....I ain't nevah...betrayed anyone."
>>
File: vlcsnap-00310[1].png (364KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00310[1].png
364KB, 640x360px
>>15452151
>grew up in texas colony.
>>
>>15452114
>implying Feds in 0079 weren't the good guys, plus a few bad apples
>implying Zeeks weren't fucking wrong about being lead by madmen ordering colony drops
>>
>>15452185
Spotted the feddie.
>>
>>15443182
>because the average murrican cant wrap their heads around that level of complexity.

3rd worlders really need to let this meme died. When American cinema was directed only at Americans it was very deep and complex. It was only when Hollywood had to target an international audience that things became as dumb down as they are.

Here is the TL;DR since I know you 3rd world peasants are incapable of reading more than a single sentence.

YOU
ARE
THE
PROBLEM.
>>
>>15443201
>Red Dawn remake
>Fast & Furious franchise
>The new starwars films

Stop talking out of your ass. You manage to be even dumber than the hollywood morons you complain about.
>>
>>15443605
>This being said I would also enjoy Gundam 00 with Setsuna as the protagonist.

In that case you would be satisfied with anything Hollywood shat out since you have garbage taste to begin with.
>>
>>15452468
I don't even watch movies because I hate them.
>>
File: jion-02.jpg (1MB, 2873x1826px) Image search: [Google]
jion-02.jpg
1MB, 2873x1826px
>>15442769
>RO wasn't a clone, they just transferred the 70s scifi fashion/tech aesthetic, which must have been really difficult.
Not really, considering the original designs were done in live action, only with practical effects instead of CGI.

Mobile suit gundam is a LOT harder due to the fact that the older models had to be cleaned up to work in animation, to the point where they can't work in live action without looking like plastic toys.

If they want it to look acceptable while maintaining a 70's/80's scifi vibe, they should take visual inspiration from the vast majority of technical manuals with accompanying art. Also, take visual cues from IgLoo. One thing it did well was take Gundam's space combat choreography and apply it to a 3D environent really competently
>>
File: Iron+Man_wallpapers_219.jpg (124KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Iron+Man_wallpapers_219.jpg
124KB, 1280x960px
>>15452122
Not him, but power armors were never a "niche" thing. They've always been seen as "cool." Iron Man (film) just took the concept and applied real life aviation concepts like thrust vectoring and control surfaces to a superhero (the comics weren't always good at that) which gave it an illusion of realism that normies can relate to.
>>
>>15452445
Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>15442797
Red green show is great though, and I'm an American.
>>
>>15442567
Hilariously, the novel has lots of material that'd be great for the current 3D-cinema trend AND it's a lot more compact than the series.

It's just that Hollywood doesn't read.
>>
File: CxoOUC0UUAELOWK.jpg (103KB, 800x933px) Image search: [Google]
CxoOUC0UUAELOWK.jpg
103KB, 800x933px
>>15452507
>they can't work in live action without looking like plastic toys

Thankfully we have Origin mobile suit designs that are properly detailed.
>>
>>15452809
And it's not like they built a 1:1 scale Gundam or anything...
>>
>>15452732
>It's just that Hollywood doesn't read.
Most Gundam "fans" in the west have never even heard of the novel. You could make a perfect adaptation of the book (honestly that's what I'd do) and 90% of the internet would still be in tears bitching about how it wasn't accurate to the series.
>>
>>15452732
>>15452815
Personally, I'll sprinkle in some of The Origin through out the film and, assuming I get to do a trilogy, add more and more to the next movies, because I have a feeling higher ups and Sunrise won't let Amuro die.

But the G3 will finally physically debut, so what ever.
>>
>>15452815
>You could make a perfect adaptation of the book

Everybody on White Base would die because women don't have pubic hair in Hollywood.
>>
>>15452853
Nixed the trilogy thing. I had a brainfart on the size of the novel.
>>
>>15444067
Isn't Mobile Fighter G Gundam also pretty popular in the US? It had runs on Toonami and has a fairly simpler premise compared to a lot of other Gundam series, while still being good.
>>
Who would make a good Char?
>>
>>15443612
Ramba ral: nick offerman
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.