[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where'd the meme of Loran Cehak being a bad pilot start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 12

File: 1464642049556.jpg (286KB, 980x1042px) Image search: [Google]
1464642049556.jpg
286KB, 980x1042px
Where'd the meme of Loran Cehak being a bad pilot start? I just finished Turn A, and given how he's deliberately trying to: 1) Avoid killing anyone, 2) Avoid letting anyone on either side kill anyone, and 3)Keep the Nukes in the Turn A from going off , he actually comes off as a really decent to actually really skilled pilot.

Picture related by not related.
>>
File: Crouching FLAT, Hidden Gundam.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Crouching FLAT, Hidden Gundam.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>15439568

I think part of the problem is that the animation in Turn-A doesn't call attention to a lot of the cool moments. They just happen with little to no comment or focus and the show moves on to focus on characters. The animation is not particularly flashy either, which probably contributes. Personally I've always thought Loran is at least middle of the pack when it comes to protagonist piloting skill. He's not Uso levels of inventive, but he's still pulls off quite a few tricks and improvises a good bit, he's a good marksmen and he's got good situational awareness to use the environment and other suits in combat.
>>
File: Hammer Time.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Hammer Time.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>15442263
>>
>>15442270
>>
File: Poe lends Loran a hand.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Poe lends Loran a hand.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>15442277
>>
File: Turn-A Saber in to a Buzzsaw.webm (3MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Turn-A Saber in to a Buzzsaw.webm
3MB, 1440x1080px
>>15442284
>>
File: Turn-A uses it's SUMO gun.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Turn-A uses it's SUMO gun.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>15442288
>>
File: Turn-Anvsible.webm (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Turn-Anvsible.webm
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>15442294
>>
>>15442284
Besides the intro, is this actually the only time in the series where the Turn A strikes the famous pose?
>>
>>15439568
That's a meme?
I've never seen anyone say that
>>
Where'd the meme that an Over Flag couldn't beat Tallgeese start?
>>
File: 1410837779-gundam1-o.jpg (50KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1410837779-gundam1-o.jpg
50KB, 460x345px
>>15442556

I think so, though now I'm wondering if any other Gundams have signature poses. The Turn-A has two really (pic related) and the RX-78-2 has at least Last Standing.
>>
>>15439568
Tallflag or Flageese?

I think Loran is really quite skilled. It was fun seeing him fight off enemy suits in the early episodes using only the Turn-A's fists.
>>
File: Untitled-48[1].jpg (193KB, 797x802px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-48[1].jpg
193KB, 797x802px
>>15442682
There's Tallgeese II
>>
>>15439568
They do also make it a point of showing that learning how to operate a mobile suit by reading the manual on the fly is extremely difficult. Simply manipulating the hands correctly is a task on its own, as well as keeping balanced while moving. Loran keeps up pretty well and has to figure out basic combat stuff like using a beam saber or thrust vanes, and when he does he puts other experienced pilots to shame
>>
Loran was actually quite skilled (he was doing gundam kung fu for crying out loud), it's just that Tomino isn't the sort of director who will portray his characters as unstoppable killing machines.
>>
>>15439568
what meme?
laura a best.
>>
>>15442600
>>15443296
You get some fags saying shit like that, usually in pilot powerlevel circlejerk threads or equally shit places.

A large part of that is probably due to them being conditioned to think that you can't be a good pilot if you're not a Newtype/Coordinator/Innovator/X-Rounder/some other variety of space mutant.
>>
>>15443322
We don't know if Loran isn't a newtype though
Tomino stopped with the flashy magic shit after CCA
>>
>>15443342

We do. Putting aside that there's no reference to newtype in the show Tomino has stated in interview that there are no newtypes in Turn-A. Everyone in the show will become one eventually according to him if I recall, but none of them are.

The closest thing to a newtype moment is between Loran and the Adeskan King and is lacking the signature newtype signals like the flash or sound, as well as being explainable as simple dramatic convention. There were also newtypes in G-Reco. They weren't super important, but they were there.
>>
File: best pacifist.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
best pacifist.webm
2MB, 720x480px
How many people have confirmed MS kills in a Core Fighter without assistance?
>>
>>15443571
To be fair, how many other core fighters have missiles and not just shitty vulcans?
>>
>>15443486
It definitely feels like tomino was trying to downplay all the newtype stuff. Especially with greco and the whole mashner thing where she says she can hear rockpie calling her but its played in a way where its more likely she's just gone nuts out of grief
>>
>>15443899

The Impulse Gundam's Core Splendor and ZZ Gundam's Neo Core Fighter had missiles, though I'd say the V2 Core Fighter and AGE-FX's Core Fighter are at least as well of, because the V2 Core Fighter houses the Wings of Light while the AGE-FX's can, and normally is equipped with a couple of funnels.
>>
Loran is a "bad" pilot because he barely uses any of the capabilities of the MS. Look at the difference between Gym and Loran, as soon as Gym gets in the Turn X he's already using a lot of the capacity of the suit effectively, getting to grips with the weapons and features quickly. If he didn't have the raw power of the Turn A behind him and spent the first half of the show in an equivalent unit to the enemies he was fighting, he'd likely have his shit pushed in.
>>
>>15444171

He did spend the first half of the show in an equivalent unit. The Turn-A when it first activates has no thrusters and it's weapon melts the first time it's fired. Loran spends the majority of the first ten episodes with no weapos of any kind, the thrusters only become operational during the climax of episode 13, he only gets a rifle and shield about episode 15 and those are his main weapons for most of the show. The Turn-A cannot fly until Merrybell brings it back to Earth, and the Moonlight Butterfly isn't found/used until episode 45 or something like that. Josef also indicates that Gym's engineers tuned up the unit a lot while they had it, making it easier to operate and presumably making it capable of flight as well as adding the cannons he uses.

The Turn-A was operating on and held to a level equivalent to his enemies for the duration of the show. When the show starts and Loran is only facing WaDs and WaDoms he has no weapons, when Corin shows up with his Eagal the beam sabers are found, when he comes in to conflict with the Royal Guard's SUMOs and the Moonrace start digging up more suits he gets a shield/rifle and when the Turn-X turns up he starts using the Moonlight Butterfly.

It's also worth bearing in mind that Loran didn't want those weapons. He wasn't using them, so not looking for or finding them is probably at least partially a deliberate decision on his part. Gym took full advantage because he's a much more martially motivated character. When Sochie confronts him about the Turn-A's theft and how he's acting very chipper about it late in the show Dianna and Kihel explain to her that it's loss is like lifting a burden to him, because he never wanted that responsibility in the first place.
>>
>>15444190
This. If anything, early on Turn A was worse off than a lot of the Moonrace units (like the WaDoms).

How well would most gendum protagonists do with a suit with practically no weapons, clogged thrusters and generally poor performance for even one ep, let alone 8 or 9?
>>
>>15443571
Uso has done it before.
>>
>>15442682
>Seed has the all fire pose and the resused animation
>Wing has the wing pose, dual buster Cannons and heavyarms full fire
>>
>>15439568
It started because people want Turn A to be insanely powerful, and what it actually does in the show doesn't live up to that. So therefore Loran must be incredibly bad at using it.
>>
>>15449365
i thought Turn A being "insanely powerful" was the combo of it having the usual gundam ups (gundanium, super maneuverable, ect ect) also moonlight butterfly, and nukes
>>
>>15449365
>>15449876
Most of its really insane bullshit is from the novels or model kits or thousands of years ago in the backstory, which a lot of people who haven't watched it yet (if they bother watching it at all instead of spouting forum memes) go in expecting to see for some reason.

It's basically the Gundam equivalent of the Demonbane copypasta.
>>
>>15450056
It still ended all technology on earth in the show
>>
>>15450104
>or thousands of years ago in the backstory
Yes I do believe I mentioned that.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.