[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else enjoying the new MST3K? I've got minor gripes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 41

File: 1341248803963.jpg (369KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1341248803963.jpg
369KB, 1920x1200px
Anyone else enjoying the new MST3K? I've got minor gripes but I'm six episodes in and they're really finding their groove. Really feels like classic Joel episodes with a bigger budget and slightly less dated references.
>>
I seriously need to catch up, I backed the damn thing.
>>
File: 1385626300971.jpg (631KB, 900x640px) Image search: [Google]
1385626300971.jpg
631KB, 900x640px
A lack of japanese cheese so far, but the crop of movies so far has been... pretty! Prettier than This Island Earth, even. Beast of Hollow Mountain was downright gorgeous.
>>
>>15436697
I'm in the middle of downloading the first one from a shady video stream site
I watched the first couple of minutes, seems cute so far.

I should check if I've used my cc for a netflix trial, really.
>>
https://youtu.be/FXyMuIFgxnM for those that haven't seen it.

I could use some more fanart.
>>
File: 微信截图_20170415095623.png (59KB, 616x378px) Image search: [Google]
微信截图_20170415095623.png
59KB, 616x378px
>>
File: ugmKPSr.jpg (215KB, 1014x780px) Image search: [Google]
ugmKPSr.jpg
215KB, 1014x780px
Biggest complaint right now is all the riffing is done in ADR whereas in the old show they were mic'd up in the "theater", so now it's like listening to a rifftrax while some people do pantomime in front of the movie. I need to hear them shifting in their seats, I need to hear plastic clacking against plastic. Tom Servo just floats around now, completely silently!

Something to fix for next season.
>>
shitgrade download of MST3k s11e1 from some crap stream site.mp4238.9 MBhttps://mega.nz/#!zUwQnIDS!w9u4rk288AAywsJE06AmfACDtWmrbpe2hL2YNjuczX8
>>
File: what's going on here.webm (142KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
what's going on here.webm
142KB, 1280x720px
>>15436724
>filename
wot
>>
>>15436749

I have friends that refuse to use anything other than wechat so I just use it for screengrabbing. Works quicker than sharex anyway.
>>
>>15436703
>paying for Netflix/Crunchyroll/Hulu instead of bumming your friends account
Do you even 21st century
>>
>>15436705
Is that Felicia Day? Eew.
>>
File: 1255934701770.jpg (32KB, 347x387px) Image search: [Google]
1255934701770.jpg
32KB, 347x387px
Also their arms work now
>>
And Gypsy is voice by an actual woman now which is gonna take a LONG time to get used to...
>>
File: what.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>15436784

Legs too
>>
File: 微信截图_20170415103756.png (2MB, 1442x724px) Image search: [Google]
微信截图_20170415103756.png
2MB, 1442x724px
...Starcrash is fucking gorgeous! Or have years of black and white kaiju films made me set the bar too low
>>
File: 微信截图_20170415104411.png (2MB, 1506x695px) Image search: [Google]
微信截图_20170415104411.png
2MB, 1506x695px
What fresh hell is this movie
>>
>>15436785
Yeah, really the voices are the toughest thing to warm up to. I think the riffs are actually pretty funny, it's just that the robots don't sound like they used to and it really throws me off.
>>
File: 微信截图_20170415110404.png (3MB, 1778x737px) Image search: [Google]
微信截图_20170415110404.png
3MB, 1778x737px
best

movie

ever
>>
Watched the first episode last night. Felicia Day standing next to Patton Oswalt and saying, "the new show isn't about inventions or ideas, it's about star power!" really jangled my nerves. I know they meant it as a joke, but it hit too close to home after that long, cheesy intro with Will Wheaton, and Oswalt looking like a pathetic Comicon cosplay, and Felicia Day even being there at all (famous for being a "nerd girl")

Gypsy's redesign is cool, but the voice and personality change is wrong.

Too many jokes are crammed in, and their delivery is too fast, and their timing is sketchy.

I like the new tunnel entrance.

The model animations are fantastic.

I liked the song number, that felt real. The rest of the live segments did not.

Crow's working arms were cool, the silhouette gimmicks during the movie felt pointless.

Hope it gets better as they settle in and get to work.
>>
>>15436901

The riffing gets more naturally paced later. And they do several invention exchanges. I think they're hitting the right amount of cheese relative to how much money they're putting into the production. But yeah flying Servo is pointless.
>>
>>15436901

It felt a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uilr9SZnHXA
>>
File: 微信截图_20170415121914.png (2MB, 1425x479px) Image search: [Google]
微信截图_20170415121914.png
2MB, 1425x479px
btw this happens. Kinga refers to her as grandma so I guess Clayton had sex at some point.
>>
>>15437054
iirc Trace said his headcanon is that she's the daughter of Dr F and TV's Frank
>>15436819
Oh shit I remember that movie sorta.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1FyplOl0XU&index=100&list=PL40847C47E99D785B
Can someone explain how can people like or be nostalgic for this boring piece of shit?
>>
>>15437105
>>
File: 1407381911736.jpg (38KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
1407381911736.jpg
38KB, 467x700px
>>15437105
>Can someone explain how can people like or be nostalgic for this boring piece of shit?
Ohhhh shiiiiiit I didn't realize this show I've been watching for 25 years was boring! Misties BTFO!
>>
Tbh I found the first episode to be really unfunny and boring. But then I skipped to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom and it was one of the funniest MST3K episodes I've seen. I guess they just need a good movie.
>>
About 4 episodes in and Crow's arms working is still probably the thing that's throwing me off the most.

The riff timing are getting better every episode.

It's missing some...camaraderie with Jonah and The Bots, I guess? Getting little better, though.

It's a fine "settling in" season.
>>
>>15437064

But that would make Max's affections for Kinga....dirty
>>
File: gforrestal.jpg (47KB, 514x646px) Image search: [Google]
gforrestal.jpg
47KB, 514x646px
>>15437148

Consider how long it took Joel to find a groove. What was the first Great episode? Catalina Caper? In season 2?
>>
File: kuva_1247668191[1].gif (875KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
kuva_1247668191[1].gif
875KB, 200x150px
Found the sauce for this ancient gif in the reptillicus riff, worth that alone.
>>
>>15436697
Watched first two episodes last night.
My Gripes with it:
In my view the introduction scene in the first episode was unnecessary. It wasn't all that good and you could tell it was a classic case of having a budget and getting carried away at pretending you have zero budget.
Felecia Day has yet to impress me as a mad and the cameo by Perl felt forced.
It will take me some time to get used to the voices. The change in Gypsy's especially.

That said once aboard the Satellite of Love almost everything feels like classic MST3k again. Host segments can be hit or miss but they were always that way and the riffing is usually on point even if they get carried away playing with their shadows.

Overall I think it's pretty good for a reboot and I'm sure it'll get better with time once Jonah gets settled into the role.
>>
>>15437262
All this time i thought that was Rodney Dangerfield in some old movie

all this time...
>>
>>15436697
>Anyone else enjoying the new MST3K?

Not with Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt attached
>>
>>15436705

Why do people like Felicia Day again? Its not like she is particularly pretty or funny.
>>
>>15437539

Timing. She was able to get in on the "geek chic" fad as it was boomiing thanks to shit cunts like bioware
>>
>>15437506
s'wrong with Oswalt
>>
>>15437581

What isn't.
>>
File: 17rlqaqiv54hypng.png (248KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
17rlqaqiv54hypng.png
248KB, 800x440px
>>15436785
>Gypsy voiced by woman
>Not the guy who gypped Mike and Joel of the rights for years.
The retrospective irony never ceases to amuse me.

>>15437506
This and the fact that it was Joel going solo and not contacting anyone from the old crew when he started it. I could see why he wouldn't do get in touch with Mike, Kevin and Trace since they spun off to do riff traxs. But everyone else who worked with Joel on Cinematic Titanic? Dick move.

>>15437548
It's not that people like her, it's a combination of >>15437548 and the fact she was apart of that movement to have women in gaming and she effectively became a sacred cow you could not even question without being called 'misogynist'. Pic related is where a guy who worked for a gaming blog and made legitimate questions about Day's contributions to gaming. Cue backlash from SJWs and them parading his scalp around after he was immediately fired from his blogging site.
>>
>>15437628
i mean she was part of several cult web shows when those things were big
and to be honest that guy isnt "asking legitimate questions" hes picking a fight
you can probably have a good conversation as to the relevance of "geek personalities" like Day and their actual contribution to the medium but that dude is baiting an argument for attention.
>>
>>15437628
>Cinematic Titanic
didn't someone just post a pic of Phel in a guest spot on the new season?
and were they cheated out of something or are you just salty?
>>
>>15437692
Joel offered everyone cameos.They're the only ones that have taken him up so far. I've also heard talk of some of the old crew getting a cut from the profits but I have no idea whether or not that's true or how much it would be and who would get it.

That said the entirety of the reboot has been controlled by him and the other former cast haven't been offered any involvement on the project besides the chance for a cameo.
>>
>>15437720
iirc they were offered the cameos after the production was announced, which ruffled a feather or two that they weren't thought of during the preannounce process

I want to say Josh was among the ruffled? But I might be getting it mixed up with something else as he seems to usually be at at least half-ruff over MST matters. Somewhat understandably so.
>>
>>15437720
didnt Joel really helm the revival though? and i think he remained on the original the longest as a producer.
like im not saying the original cast didnt do anything but i was under the impression that the revival was very much a Jeol project
>>
>>15437628

To be fair, he does seem pointlessly hostile and more than a little dickish.

>WHAT DO YOU EVEN DO

Is not a criticism and she doesn't owe him an explanation
>>
>>15437734
>didnt Joel really helm the revival though?
yeah as far as I know this was mostly his baby

Jim Mallon decided to finally sell his share to Joel online rumors I read say one of Jim's kids died or some massively grim life-rethinking event and then that got this going.
>>
>>15437732
didnt he leave the show once it got national airing cause it "sold out" or some shit?
>>
>>15437744

Mike was the real driving force behind the show
>>
>>15437751
not that I've heard

as far as I understand he was viewed as difficult to work with being only 18 at the time of the first national season
I know I've read that one aspect he disagreed with was regarding adlibbing in the theater.
>>15437752
that's an odd way to spell Trace
>>
>>15437692
>>15437737
And this is one of the big problems, you'd rather look at intent than merit. The question still stands on did she contribute anything outside of the cop out non answer that is 'personality'. And would she be as popular as she was if she didn't look attractive and jumped in at the right time? What would happen if you discount everything else and judged her work solely off her wit and work in the industry, or she's just of similar vain of the Kardashian of being famous for being famous. Or worse be like Oliva Mumm.

>>15437692
The fact that Joel didn't ask any of them if they were interested in working on the reboot until after it was announced would cheese them off? I get that Joel wants to be a control freak this time around because his vision of MST3K got lost, but at least he could still ask them but lay down the law as to how things would run and let them decide if they want to get on board. The fact he only offered them cameo roles is downright in insulting.
>>
>>15437775
as comparison, is there record of how and when decisions regarding Bones in the TNG opener happened?

I recall that the S1 TNG with that old guy who gets younger was in an earlier draft Old Kirk dealing with the consequences of that time those aliens got guns from the Klingons so he gave the other aliens guns too, but they decided that Kirk would overshadow the TNG gang as they were trying to establish the new show's identity.

Not trying to argue what Joel's reasoning was, but I wonder how they handled contacting TOS people for Encounter at Farpoint, if it was an afterthought of "Dear Star Trek Cast Member" like lolSaban
>>
>>15437804
I'm pretty sure McCoy's cameo was strictly done as a means of visually passing the torch from the original show to the new one and it was nothing beyond that.
>>
>>15437834
yeah I get that, I'm talking more about if it was a planned out thing, or halfway through adapting a bunch of Phase II debris and snorting cocaine somebody went "oh shit we film in two weeks better hurry up, hey we should put one of the old guys in, too" and then the old gang was like "wtf you guys had cocaine and didn't share and you just told us about a cameo shot now"

I'm just trying to establish some baselines of "Franchise Generational Sequel: Did They Invite The Old Gang Back Enough?"
>>
>>15437775
>you'd rather look at intent than merit
well yeah, i even said there might be a discussion to be had on that subject geek chic stars and their vernal impact on works vs their contributions therein but the dude was a cunt about it and was really just looking to be a cunt to someone popular on twitter
Felicia Day is just an actress with a niche and fans within that niche,. and she isnt doing anything in this part aside from being an actress.
>>
It's not bad, but I don't know, it's just wierd hearing Servo have any voice but Kevin's

>inb4 Josh

Yeah that was wierd too
>>
>>15437843
Almost all of the first season's episodes were scripts from Phase II. Also I think it's a poor comparison to ask for the old crew to come back even for cameos because they were still in process of filming ToS movies with 5 coming out in 1989 Feel old yet? So it would create overlap and potential time paradoxes. See Relics and Scotty's comment about Kirk getting the Enterprise back in service to rescue him when he later was on the Enterprise-B when Kirk was MIA

But MST3K doesn't really hit with any of that and it would be more to ask if the old crew wants to come back as writers, since yes, everyone was a writer first. I'm to lazy to look up how many writers from the original series were brought over. That would be the key to any bridge.

>>15437854
Just because a guy is a dick, doesn't mean you can dismiss his questions as invalid. He's perfectly right in question what she has contributed when she was being propped up by gaming media at the time.
>>
>>15437865
Tom's been the 2nd hardest to get used to (Gypsy's 1st). Kevin Tom's voice and zipping around drives the biased deep to the more stiff Revival Tom.

Crow's got the benefit of sounding close enough to Trace Crow's voice. Wish they moves his eyes more, though.
>>
>>15437894
>But MST3K doesn't really hit with any of that and it would be more to ask if the old crew wants to come back as writers, since yes, everyone was a writer first. I'm to lazy to look up how many writers from the original series were brought over. That would be the key to any bridge.
I think DC Fontana was involved off the top of my head, but she's pretty much easymode for guessing writing in Trek.

>>15437910
>Wish they moves his eyes more, though.
it's crazy the amount of emoting Trace got out of Crow
>>
File: here let me get that for you.webm (511KB, 558x304px) Image search: [Google]
here let me get that for you.webm
511KB, 558x304px
Holy shit, I had no clue the new season dropped. I've just started Reptilicus. The riffing isn't anything special so far, but maybe it'll get better. I hope the silhouette jokes are done well, and sparingly.

The fuck is up with Servo though? Is it impossible to find someone who sounds remotely at all like The old Servo? I'm miffed about Gypsy, but I can get used to it.

Also, how old is Felicia Day? She looks like she's in her late 30's.
>>
>>15437967
>She looks like she's in her late 30's.
that seems accurate
>>
>>15437957
Bill got good with Crow's eyes in the last season as well and I hope that follows with Revival Crow.

Trace will always be top tier Crow, though.
>>
I like their combat mooks
>>
>>15438026
I'm not sure how I feel about them. I sort of find them distracting.
>>
>>15437737
>other than "personality"
She's been in TV shows and made a webseries that apparently a lot of people enjoyed. Is that not enough? I don't give a shit what you think of Felicia Day, but she's done things.
>>
>>15437894
>Just because a guy is a dick, doesn't mean you can dismiss his questions as invalid.
no but you can sure as fuck not dignify his dickishness with an answer.
and her contributions were about as much as any critic or journalist who talks about video games for a living. like em or not shes not "in" the business so your safe to ignore her and not start shit like that guy did
>>
>>15438103
>Dignify with a response
That's what you say when you can't give one that is not damaging to yourself. If Day did have a history of repute, she and her defenders could have easily went 'Here's a full list of her contributions" and then make a smart ass comment saying this is jut the resume of a 'gloried booth babe'.
>>
>>15438118
no its what you say when a guy is just trying to start shit on twitter.
you sure are buttmad about a cunt on twitter who got fired for being rude to an actress who had opinions. an actress i might add, whos completely inoffensive in the role shes in here
>>
>>15438118
>of repute
That's the thing, isn't it? You're leaving yourself room to dismiss anything you don't personally like as "not counting." The Guild has an 8.3 on IMDB, so evidently people liked it. And she's been in a number of TV shows. The fact that you don't personally enjoy the work she's done, doesn't have any effect on whether, overall, it "counts."

Besides, what do you even mean by "contributions?" I'm genuinely asking. What does she have that she shouldn't have without making a contribution, and to whom or to what does she owe said contribution in order to get it?
>>
>>15437628
>legitimate questions
Are you fucking kidding me? I always knew you were retarded but I didn't think your reading comprehension was this dismal.
>>
>>15437775

Well what the fuck does the guy asking do? You're not proving anything but what an ass you are when you post crap like that. It's a moronic sperg out. Really a video game journalist has no busy throwing shit at everyone least of all anyone from fucking destructoid.

Day may not be anything special but neither is a retard on a blog.
>>
2/3 of the way through the first episode. It's MST3k.
The new voices don't bother me, but the way Crow's jaw just hangs open instead of flapping more bugs the shit out of me.
Also somebody needed to get Felicia a cup of coffee or something she's the most subdued mad scientist ever.

I really like that they're reading letters.
>>
>>15436812
They did Starcrash? Fuck yeah. The Hasselhoff returns!
>>
>>15439414
>cup of coffee
more like cup of 2 week notice, why do people keep hiring her?
>>
File: 1262647069223.jpg (71KB, 304x588px) Image search: [Google]
1262647069223.jpg
71KB, 304x588px
Geez a lot of people getting upset on behalf of people they don't know.

I had no idea who felicia day is and she's... well she's the worst Mad so far but Pearl and Clayton set a a high standard. And poor Paton's trying to fill the shoes of a living meme.
>>
>>15439629
>And poor Paton's trying to fill the shoes of a living meme.
and to be fair that seems to be the character, a downtrodden decedent of a second banana
>>
>>15439662

desu the best Mad skits so far are ripoffs from Paton's standup and isn't that a depressing thought.

I mean it's not like the original's writers weren't above that but still
>>
>>15439629

Honestly that's part of the problem. It very much feels like Joel saw his own shit wasn't going as hot as Rifftrax and is basically just trying to bank on nostalgia without a clear understanding about what the actual fans who grew up with the old show liked about it.
>>
>>15439673
i mean the original exchanges were prop comedy with Joel Hodgson the prop comic so its hardly new ground
and i love Patton's stand up so i cant really complain
>>
>>15439684

idk man I think this is pretty strong for a first season.
>>
>>15439697

Prop comedy doesn't always lend itself to sarcastic quipping. Mike was always the better writer
>>
>>15439698

It's dreadful and the weakest the franchise has ever been since KTMA
>>
>>15439701
which is why he was chosen to star after Joel moved on, and why they moved away from prop comedy
speaking of, i like this new guy so far, he's not Mike or Joel but hes also not really trying to be which is good
>>
>>15439706

IT'S THE PINNACLE OF TELEVISION

do you see where this gets us
>>
>>15437692
>or are you just salty?

Consider who you're asking.
>>
>>15439766
i dont know who this dude is. ive mostly been in toku threads and the occasional gundam game thread.
though given he insists on using a trip i assume he thinks his opinion matter more than the average anons, is there a story i should know?
is he the equivalent of /co/s Boco?
>>
>>15439796

Im gonna be honest more than half the time I barely even notice
>>
>>15439796

oh god is Boco still around

next you'll tell me old /co/ldier came back
>>
>>15439825
not that ive seen
but yeah Boco is still around and thinking people care that hes around
i kinda wish someone would take away hi ability to tripcode
>>
>>15436697
I find the jokes during the movies funny but the voices are terrible
I can't tell anyone apart they all sound the exact same
>>
>>15440668
Yeah there's a lot of samevoice. Oddly they remind me of Cinematic Titanic Josh.
>>
>>15438026
>>15438082

I don't like that they're ripped off from Super Inframan.
>>
>>15440668
I think with the voices we just need to give ourselves time to get used to them. It doesn't help that every voice was replaced at once rather than the rolling cast changes over the original run.
>>
>>15441248
meh, Jerry and Silvia were from The Mole People, so it's not like the faceless minions being lifted isn't without precedent
>>
>>15440668

I've never watched MST3K before, and this is exactly how I felt

I was cracking up through pretty much the whole movie but I couldn't actually tell who was who.
>>
>>15441252

It doesn't help that the voices lack defined character, they lack personality. It's like they said Okay Im Tom Servo now and everyone already knows his quirks so Im in the clear
>>
Wait, so they actually did the reboot?

Fuck me, I've been out of the loop.
>>
>>15441336
I'm on episode 4 and I'm still having trouble telling Jonah and Tom apart. Yount's Crow is similar enough to Trace's Crow from the original run that you can tell him apart.
>>
On the second episode so far. I'm not sure what the complaints are about the segments between film viewings are; they were always pretty naff.

The riffing seems of decent quality so far.
>>
>Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt's awful acting
Besides that's it's alright so far, nothing special but I expected far worse.
>>
>>15441248
>Super Inframan

Holy shit, you're not wrong.

They should do this movie.
>>
>>15441780
there's a dub and a widescreen, so it's possible
>>
File: Are you fucking kidding me.jpg (49KB, 520x423px) Image search: [Google]
Are you fucking kidding me.jpg
49KB, 520x423px
>>15438730
>Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>15436697
>Really feels like classic Joel episodes with a bigger budget and slightly less dated references.

Huh. I'm only one episode in and I was just thinking about how much it surprised me that Jonah feels more like Mike than Joel, given that Joel is still on staff but Mike isn't. New guy has the more animated style of delivery and the seemingly friendlier relationship with the bots that Mike had.

Also the references are still dated, we're just old now.

Also, like many others, I can't tell Jonah and Tom's voices apart and I thought they did too much of having characters move around in the theater, especially since they didn't even seem to have a gag half the time. Did they really need Gypsy to drop off a box and pick it up again later just to remind us that she exists? Was there a gag to that and I just missed it?
>>
TV's Son of TV's Frank is a beautiful name
>>
>>15437628
>gypped Mike and Joel of the rights for years

?
>>
>>15438530
>>15438325
>>15439401
If you can't point to anything of substance she's done, you might as well just say the writer was right to call Day out.
>>
>>15443225
Jim Mallon who was the producer also voiced Gypsy, and ended up being in control of MST3K and is one of the reasons why it' was in limbo for so many years because he and Joel couldn't agree on anything. Then >>15437744 happened and this is where we are today.
>>
>>15443297

Has Joel done anything outside of Cinema Titanic?
>>
File: 微信截图_20170417024952.png (45KB, 588x464px) Image search: [Google]
微信截图_20170417024952.png
45KB, 588x464px
>>
>>15443383

If I had to guess I'd say they saw this movie while hunting for material to riff on and fell in love with the designs. Someone should tell him about Shocker.
>>
>“When I first started thinking of Kinga I basically grabbed an image of the Dragon Queen from Infra-Man and Lucille Ball’s head, and put Lucille Ball’s head on the Dragon Queen from Infra-Man and I said, ‘This is Kinga,'” Joel Hodgson says. “And if you think about it, it’s kinda true. Felicia is, in a way, that.”

>“And then along the way I go, man, I always loved those henchmen from Infra-Man. I’d love to do something with them. And then I got to the Bonehead thing, just a visual blur on that idea, just to alter it. The henchmen are so fun in Infra-Man though because they’re kind of nymphlike, and they run around really fast and they’ve very manic-looking. So I wanted that, and then I kind of engineered that off of there.”

>“Then the idea was that they were the band, too. The Skeleton Crew Band. So they’re kind of like her failed attempted at creating a race of atomic supermen. It just didn’t work out.”

Well damn apparently he said all this in an interview already.
>>
>>15443289
You genuinely aren't making any sense. Call her out for what? For being well-known despite not making anything you personally enjoy? Do you lose your shit over Regis Philbin's fame too, since all he's ever really done is host talk shows and game shows?

>of substance
This is 100% arbitrary.
>>
>>15444227
Don't look at Black Knight. He's got brain problems.
>>
>>15443338
he's had a few projects that never really got off the ground, like The TV Wheel, UPN had Untitled Joel Hodgeson Project penciled in for a little while, he did a test reel of this weird thing of overlaying a bunch of cartoon stuff over movies as a sort of visual successor to audio riffing that ended up too expensive to do stuff with. There was Statical Planets, I think that actually got made, the GIzmonics Antsite, and he was "Magic Consultant" on the old Sabrina tv series, I think he handled effects?.
>>15444227
>Do you lose your shit over Regis Philbin's fame too, since all he's ever really done is host talk shows and game shows?
I'd been thinking of Regis too, since he was in KTMA episode SST Death Flight

>>15443399
wow she's even more of a disappointment if she's supposed to be like Princess Dragon Mom
>>
>>15437628
>made loaded questions

FTFY. Seriously, he really didn't do himself any favors in the way he chose to word the questions.
>>
>>15439422

>why do people keep hiring her?

Because she's a ebin nerd just like us XD

Seriously, I wish her and Wil Wheaton would fuck right off from existence.
>>
>>15445609
They hire her because she comes with a fan-base and her inclusion in a project means that at least some people will definitely give it a shot.

I don't know why they hire Wheaton. Not that he doesn't have a fanbase, but he also has way more ravenous haters than Day does, which seems like setting a hard cap on your fanbase too.
>>
>>15445780
>Wheaton
Can anyone tell me what the fuck has this man done since TNG that has kept him relevant? Besides riding the "I played the most annoying TNG character" train I can't think of anything else he's done.
>>
>>15445950

do you do background checks on all actors in the things you watch
>>
There's a better copy up on pirate bay
>>
So I'm surprisingly okay with this eXCEPT: I don't think Gypsy has said or done anything that would not be funnier if it was screeched out by a guy doing a falsetto.
>>
>>15445959
To be fair he is known to most as "that little shit in TNG".
>>
>>15441282
Look for movement; that's usually a good indicator when it's one of the bots.
>>
>>15437628
Bill's on Rifftrax. He was Season 8910 Crow.
>>
>>15437506
>The Mad scientist segments take up to 5 minutes or less an episode. In a 2 hour fucking show.

Cry some more, won't you?
>>
>>15446647

and yet despite being less than 5 minutes per episode Dr Forester and Pearl managed to be funny and memorable characters who helped make the show what it was.

Fuck you. If all you care about is riffs then go watch rifftrax, it's funnier anyways. Don't sit there and pretend the whole surrounding segments don't matter
>>
Am I the only one that hates the fucking cameos that happen almost every fucking episode where random celebrity shows up to talk to Oswalt and Day about shit that has nothing to do with the film. I mean it was fine when it was Per as a callback to the origanal run l but I can't be the only one who got annoyed when Jerry Seinfeld showed up. I mean I don't exactly hate the guy but he does not fit into mst3k at all.
>>
>>15436697
the station looks like dick and n' balls.
>>
>>15446729
I've been a MSTie since fucking KTMA, I will fucking fight you, you no good mother fucker.
>>
>>15446928

Then don't say stupid shit.
>>
>>15447025
Mother. Fucker. KTMA had NO mads, so shut the fuck up.
>>
>>15447131

You mean the one weakest season out of 11
>>
File: Brain takes a trip to krg.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Brain takes a trip to krg.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>15447165
>>15447131
>>15447025
>>15446928
>>15446729
>>15446647
>>15437506
>>
>>15447131
>KTMA had NO mads,
lolwat
https://youtu.be/WSz8FsRn1cU?t=1m24s
>>
>>15446853
>he does not fit into mst3k at all.

I think it was from one of Joel's interviews circa the kickstarter, but iirc just as Joel was almost Philo in UHF, apparently Joel had wanted to have his comedy business friend Jerry Seinfeld to host, but Seinfeld was busy with the pilot for what would go on to be his NBS series so Joel stepped in

also the second ep is up on piratebay
>>
>>15447564
>NBS
NBC
derp
sage for 2x
>>
>>15447564
Wait, what?
>>
>>15446628
but the lady who is doin it aint bad
>>
>>15449475

She ain't good either. And having a girl do the voice just misses the joke completely
>>
>>15445950

He's got a popular web series about board games and RPGs. Most of my gaming friends like it, but I couldn't see what they saw in it.
>>
File: クルウウウウウ.png (255KB, 628x948px) Image search: [Google]
クルウウウウウ.png
255KB, 628x948px
>>15449422
okay I dug up an interview covering it, this version says
>He was a big influence on me; he was like a mentor to me. And I really admire his work, but he was also not really a cynical person, and he really loved doing what he did and he was happy. And I thought that was really great and he kind of inspired me to want to get back into it. I started writing an idea for a movie for him, a sci-fi movie, and I pitched it to him and he was very graceful, but he just said something like “Listen I’m going to change the world in about 5 yrs by creating Seinfeld I can’t do this” Now he didn’t really say that.
>
>(Both laugh)
>
>But he was very graceful saying, “I can’t do that show, but I think YOU should do that show”. And it kind of got me thinking. I was definitely trying to transpose him onto my idea. He’s not a science fiction guy in the least….And within a year I’d figured out MST3K and figured out I wanted to do it.
So I was a little off, I was mixing it up with the scheduling conflicts that may have been a thing for Joel in UHF.

On the commentary track for the Weird Al movie UHF they mention how Philo was written with Joel in mind. Some text versions cite scheduling, there's a bit from Joel saying it was because he wasn't sure of himself as an actor as this was very early into MST's production.

And pirate bay is now up to three episodes
>>
>>15449716

oh wow how the hell would half the jokes in mst3k translate to asian scribbles
>>
>>15449798
I imagine well more than half of them wouldn't.
>>
>>15449494
She'll make a better Magic Voice then Gypsy, that's for sure.
>>
>>15449798
>>15451931
iirc when the movie was translated for Germany they just wrote new jokes for a German audience
there's somebody on youtube translating the old show into some type of Spanish
not sure if Japan's taken a swung at translating or any MST-inspired projects like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNI8rLHtTZ8
>>
So, my favorite parts are when they feed lines to characters in between their actual lines, and when the three of them make a joke at the same time (example: when a character in the movie says "I have a reservation" and they all respond "so do we!").

But Gypsy gets exactly one joke per movie, and as of episode four, none of them has been good. Why don't they give her some decent fucking lines?
>>
>>15452064
Gypsy was not built for riffing. During the original run Gypsy went in the theater once, maybe twice during the entire run. I'm baffled as to why she's showed up in the theater every fucking episode and placing/removing a box.
>>
>>15452172
I always figured it was going to be revealed to be part of helping Jonah escape or something.

And either way, they can write a funny joke for her to say. I mean, come on.
>>
Anybody else hoping the next season is "MST3K The Escape" and we get to see another season of the evil scientist chasing the crew across the universe?
>>
>>15443399
Ah shit, I knew those henchmen reminded me of Infra-Man.
>>
>>15452064

I don't know, "Ho ho ho, Merry Bigfoot!" got me pretty good.
>>
>>15454470
Ah, shit. I forgot that. Yeah, that was pretty good.
>>
>>15436697
That "Monsters Around the World" song was more than enough to lay any doubts to rest.
>>
>>15437610
The fact that he's a good comedian and actor, that's what.
>>
>>15454950
>DERP A DERP A DOO IM TELLING A JOKE! IM A FAT MAN! NERD REFERENCE DERPA DO!
>>
>>15454992
He makes jokes about being fat and about comics and shit he likes, but you've probably never heard his stuff if you think that's all he does.

>If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins.

>In the obituaries, no one ever dies of cancer. People always give in after a valiant battle with cancer, or they throw in the towel after a courageous fight, which, statistically, can't be possible. There had to have been a couple of cowardly ordeals in there. 'Bob Smith died today after a craven cowardly ordeal with cancer, during which he wished the disease on his family and friends.'

He also used to rip apart religion, which is a pretty mainstream pursuit among comedians, though he's become less hostile toward religion over the years (even though he's still an atheist).

The dude doesn't just talk about "nerdy" things and being chubby. He just makes jokes about those things as well as other things, because they're part of his experience.

That said, holy shit I wish we could have Maria Bamford on in some role.
>>
Hey! Those robots that Jonah builds in The Time Travelers are the Imaginext Megazord!
>>
>>15446645
Got the name's mixed up. Bill does a pretty good Crow.

>>15437663
She was part of a show, that doesn't mean her reputation was earned, the guy brought up a valid point even if you question the style he did it in.

>>15444227
You can call Regis Philbin a Talk Show host. But you don't hear people call him a pioneer of of the television. Day got propped up as this major figure of gaming. Truly ponderous
>>
Alright, I'm up to the Hercules riff now and the new crew is definitely growing on me. Is it just me or is the volume of singing JOnah and the bots do much higher than in the old show?

>>15457568
I knew that chest area looked familiar!
>>
>>15457632
>the guy brought up a valid point even if you question the style he did it in.

No he didn't. Her resume is easy to google. He was just flat being a dick.
>>
>>15436697
It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>15457632
>Day got propped up as this major figure of gaming.
Sure. But she doesn't seem to have an ego about it. Why should she have to justify the opinion that others seem to have of her?
>>
>>15436870
what is it?
>>
>>15458096
Birds of a feather.
>>
>>15463738
That's from Starcrash.
>>
>>15456696
The problem with Patton is he's always been a bleeding heart liberal but he's gone very extreme recently. He used to be willing to poke fun at himself and call himself out for being a faggot but lately he is very "think the way I do or you're an uncivilized mentally challenged redneck." Honestly it has to do with him losing his mind after his wife dying in her sleep last year, so I don't really blame him for going a bit crazy.
>>
>>15465309
from what I've heard Frank is mostly the same, except the dead wife thing

Time Travelers was pretty cool.
I hadn't watched it in ages.
I was getting it mixed up with some other time travel movie, though. I thought the ending for Time Travelers was that they end up back at the part where the movie goes blurry, then they accidentally the thing and a time paradox happens. Then they recap the movie in like a minute, then back to the paradox happening, then recap the movie a shorter period, and repeat it until it's a jumbled mess and then it say "NEVER END" or something like that.

So what the hell movie am I thinking of?

I'm looking forward to Starcrash. I remember it being a glorious pile of shit.
>>
>>15465348
you may have simply dreamed a slightly more interesting ending.
>>
>>15437054
Why is Brianna Wu in this show
>>
>>15465348
But seriously, though, how did they do that shot? That movie didn't seem like it had the expertise to pull of a hidden cut that well if there was one.
>>
>>15465391
beyond a guess of "some stage magic type stuff" I don't have a clue
>>
I presume the guy sank into the table and then schlorped back up.
>>
>>15436705
I was going to watch it but not if Felicia Day is in it. Fuck that.
>>
>>15465370
okay apparently what I remembered was the ending to Time Travelers more or less
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-YLczxeyGU
now I'm even more confused
>>
>>15436901

I liked the show but this guy's got it.

The riffing is and movies are great, but about half way through they start really shitting it up with a stupid romance subplot and forcing the focus entirely on felicia day. That shit kind of irritated me.

The pace is also a lot faster than i remember the old shows to be.
>>
>>15471976
Jonah sounds like he's trying to imitate Mike.
>Joel Red
>Mike Blue
>Jonah Yellow
MYSTERY SENTAI GIZMONGER
>>
File: laughing_draper.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_draper.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>15472058
>GIZMONGER
>>
it's like the CT Breast Blimp
or
VANGUARD 1s, AH NYUU YUUD CUUM
>>
>>15473486
>CT

?
>>
>>15475277
Cinematic Titanic. Joel and the rest of the nonRifftrax brains did touring live shows for a while. In the early studio releases they did Joel played with shadow stuff a lot like the new season of MST3k, including a blimp that flew through to cover nudity like the bots' drones
>>
>>15472058
>Jonah sounds like he's trying to imitate Mike.

He sounds almost exactly like Tim Heidecker.
>>
>>15472058
>Mstery Sentai Gizmonger
>Not Special Riffteam Mystspector.
>>
File: 1486230115848.jpg (12KB, 213x214px) Image search: [Google]
1486230115848.jpg
12KB, 213x214px
>The Land That Time Forgot
>dinosaurs start fighting each other
>Jonah and the robots start chanting "WORLD STAR"

The inbetween parts are still naff but the riffing is getting better
>>
>>15478010
>The inbetween parts are still naff but the riffing is getting better

According to the Wikipedia entry, the new series pre-records the riffs, and the theater shots are just Jonah and the puppeteers acting out movements to a soundtrack. I think this is why the riffs are so fast paced and sometimes the timing is a little off. Not a fan of this approach.

I finished the season last night. I didn't like the idea of the non-theater segments going from movie themed gag skits to the show itself having a narrative. It doesn't need one, and it took time away from the riffing, which is why people watch it in the first place. I actually ended up fast forwarding through most of the narrative stuff, because I give no fucks about anything to do with Kinga and Max that's not the preshow invention exchange.

It's kind of interesting to finally have a scale for the SoL, thanks to the final shot in the series during the end credits.
>>
>>15478787

Yeah, any of the narrative stuff or the segments that are "here famous person" are lame. I don't mind the "here are person from the film" bits, like the future party people from the Time Traveler episode, those are doofy but fun.

And I agree the riffs can be a bit on the fast side as well, like they're afraid to have dead air. But the quality remains alright, I'm not finished on the series but I hope they make more.
>>
>>15478787
>I didn't like the idea of the non-theater segments going from movie themed gag skits to the show itself having a narrative. It doesn't need one, and it took time away from the riffing, which is why people watch it in the first place.
season 11 isn't the first to do this
there was a lot of narrative to the seasons where pearl was the main villain, from episode to episode they'd travel through time and space and stuff.

of course I didn't like that either, really, but you can't blame season 11 for it. in fact, season 11 kind of abandons all the continuity cruft from those seasons, which is just as well.
>>
>>15480462
>season 11 isn't the first to do this
>there was a lot of narrative to the seasons where pearl was the main villain, from episode to episode they'd travel through time and space and stuff.

I was never keen on Pearl, Bobo, & Brain Guy, but if I'm remembering it right their traveling from planet to planet wasn't so much a narrative arc as a conceit that allowed them to change sets to tie their gags in with whatever movie they were screening.

Kinga having a plan to marry Jonah as a ratings stunt isn't itself a bad thing. What I don't like is the segments themselves developing an ongoing plot that is not related to the movies being riffed. The show is about riffing bad movies. The host being trapped in an experiment is just thin premise for the riffing. My main gripe is that screen time gets increasingly devoted to this developing story, and since the revival is 90 minutes instead of 120 minutes we're already having to edit down the movies to fit, so anything that isn't directly related to the movie being riffed feels to me like squandered screen time.
>>
>>15481934
>I was never keen on Pearl, Bobo, & Brain Guy, but if I'm remembering it right their traveling from planet to planet wasn't so much a narrative arc as a conceit that allowed them to change sets to tie their gags in with whatever movie they were screening.
I'm pretty sure it was just something the network told them to do until the last season.But yeah they weren't so hot.

Also the actual runtime per episode isn't quite as dramatic a decrease in length. They usually ran 1:35ish without the ads.
>>
>>15481934
>I was never keen on Pearl, Bobo, & Brain Guy

:(
>>
Mads power levels
Dr E and Dr F = Dr F and Frank > Dr F solo = Pearl Bobo and Brain Guy > Dr F and Pearl = Kinga and Max
>>
>>15437628
>she was apart of that movement to have women in gaming and she effectively became a sacred cow you could not even question without being called 'misogynist'.

Quite a versatile template you got there. Let's see what happens when we change out a few select words.

>he was a part of that movement to have our first black president and he effectively became a sacred cow you could not even question without being called 'racist'.

How fitting.

>>15437775
>you'd rather look at intent than merit

That's the only reason anyone ever votes jackass, though the joke's on them for believing their intentions are at all good or even in their better interests.
>>
>>15483806
>Dr E

Literally who?
>>
File: 1262646976387.jpg (62KB, 336x597px) Image search: [Google]
1262646976387.jpg
62KB, 336x597px
>>15486000

You know, Dr. E!
>>
>>15486015
Oh him.
>>
An elderly Harrison Ford on a beautiful afternoon holding up a piece of printer paper with "HELLO REっDIT" written in permanent marker.
>>
>>15490487
Is that supposed to be a non-sequitur?
>>
>>15490487
What's that got to do with anything?
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.