[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think of escaflowne? In light of Nobuteru Yuk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

File: vlcsnap-2016-04-09-15h39m02s69.png (667KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-04-09-15h39m02s69.png
667KB, 720x540px
What does /m/ think of escaflowne?

In light of Nobuteru Yuki dying I picked up the show since I haven't seen it before.
I'm on episode 14 atm
Is the movie any good?

Also, favorite track from the OST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBBMDSCNlbQ
>>
File: 1488760237322.gif (2MB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1488760237322.gif
2MB, 500x283px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyBcX_gUNQ
>>
>>15435608
I watched this back in the day on fox kids
it was really the series that got me into mecha anime

what an amazing time. the music and story are amazing and something like this WILL NEVER BE MADE AGAIN

it is a gem and I cannot wait to get the hd version coming out thanks to kickstarter
>>
File: 1490160591615.gif (635KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
1490160591615.gif
635KB, 500x410px
>>15435643
>hd version

really?
>>
>>15435608
escaflowne is awesome
the movie is decent but bears only some resemblance to the series
>>
>>15435608
>In light of Nobuteru Yuki dying I picked up the show since I haven't seen it before.
No, Norio Shioyama died, Nobuteru announced it.
>>15430122
>>
>>15435744
Also,
>the banner pic on Nobuteru's twitter is Merle
Best girl confirmed
>>
File: 20170415_000855[1].jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_000855[1].jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Esca
Flowne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

One of the first mecha related items I ever bought was this shitty unposable PVC figure of Escaflowne.
>>
File: 1390526986068.jpg (233KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1390526986068.jpg
233KB, 1440x1080px
>>15435744
Well shit
>>15429212

Being Nobuteru Yuuki really is suffering.
>>
File: 80678563464596.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
80678563464596.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>15435608
>Is the movie any good?
I used to hate it because it was totally different from the TV show. I came around to it by accepting it as its own thing. There are many elements that are different from the TV show. It's the same basic premise, but almost a completely different story. The show is still superior because of its story telling, but the movie is still intriguing because it isn't just some truncated version of the show. It's also pretty to look at.
>>
>>15435608
I think it's incredible right until you watched, more or less. I always felt that it rambles way too much in the second half.
The movie is completely forgettable, you don't miss anything if you don't watch it.
>>
>>15435608
Escaflowne is one of the best anime in existence until the last third where it starts to feel incredibly rushed. I also really disliked the whole concept of jumping worlds so often. Going full isekai once is fine but going back and forth annoyed the living hell out of me for some reason. Parts of the animation really didnt age well, though. Thats probably one of the bigger flaws but you cant really criticize it for that. I mean, the show is more than 20 years old by now.

The movie is dog shit and doesnt do the tv show any justice. Characters are completely misrepresented.
>>
Sucks they get seperated forever because japs love that biitersweet shit
>>
>>15439244
Or more likely, so their waifu is not soiled by a relationship so they can imagine meeting her on earth, ect
>>
>>15439244
Bittersweet is best, to be fair. Got to give them props when it's deserved.
>>
>>15435608
The Movie has better artwork and character designs then the show but the show has an overall better story and character development.

That being said, I hate Hitomi in both versions.
>>
>>15439244
>>15441671
>>15441719
Bittersweet only works if the ending makes sense, but to this day, not a single person can agree why Hitomi decided to never seen Van again. All indications point to Van being able to go to Earth and see her whenever he wants but that whole "I'll never forget you even when I'm old" suggests that either she, or both of them, are not forced apart but simply decide not to see eachother physically again.

Also, the fact that they can both see eachother and talk to eachother in their minds means that they'll also eventually have to witness one of them cucking the other. Which is probably what happened to her grandma and Allen's (father/grandfather?)

The ending also really deprecated whatever opinion I had of Hitomi before. I already didn't really care for her since she was highly unattractive, incredibly insecure with herself, and kind of shallow (having a crush on a guy because they look like another guy you have a crush on)

Hell, I could have lived with all of the above if they didn't make her a semi wish fulfillment character for girls. Meaning that both the hot guys she travels with just so happen happen to end up falling for her when she doesn't have much - looks or personality wise - for them to be falling for. They're both princes from highly respected kingdoms, they could have any woman they want, and I'm supposed to realistically believe that they would both pic Hitomi over all of them? Even as a kid I realized that this was low key pandering to girls.

It would have been better had they all just been friends or Hitomi had gained some qualities worthy of the attention of a prince (besides the wing goddes shit) I wouldn't have cared.

To sum it up, I know because it's a Shoujo their had to be romantic elements in the show but they were done and implemented poorly on the part of the main heroine.
>>
I loved it when I first watched it, but that was years ago, so I couldn't give you an accurate opinion anymore. The movie is alright, cool fights and stuff, not really connected to anything from the show.
>>
Hitomi is really grating on the nerves
>>
>>15435608
When I think escaflowne, I think nose.
I loved the ending, but it was 15 years ago or so, probably wouldn't think much of it if I ever rewatched it.
>>
>>15444511
Ending to the main plot was great. the ending between Van and Hitomi was garbage.
>>
>>15444124
Perhaps they prefer phone sex over the pendant than physical sex
>>
I love that Isaac Newton is the main bad guy. What other show has done that.
>>
>>15435608
>What does /m/ think of escaflowne?

One of the best mecha shows ever made.
>>
>>15445806
>Isaac Newton is the main bad guy

It's not Isaac Newton.
>>
File: Vision_d%27Escaflowne_08_001.jpg (722KB, 1936x1255px) Image search: [Google]
Vision_d%27Escaflowne_08_001.jpg
722KB, 1936x1255px
>>15445742
>Perhaps they prefer phone sex over the pendant than physical sex
Not if her grandmother is any indication. They'll both move on, get married to other people, and have children.

On that though, I've come to the realization that Fuu Hououji from Magic Knight Rayearth was basically Hitomi but done better.

She's the quiet insecure one of the group and even has to fight her own insecurities to finally obtain her rune god. Her rune god is the Sky God Windam and she's always seen with wings whenever she uses her powers. She falls in love with Feiro, a young rugged prince from the land that they're protecting. And both of their character designs are almost identical to early designs for Van and Hitomi that ended up being used for the Shounon manga.
>>
File: fuu-and-ferio-1.png (367KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
fuu-and-ferio-1.png
367KB, 720x480px
>>15446719
Comparison image
>>
>>15446719
Just finished watching it. It actually reminds me a lot of Shinzo.
>>
File: 1418754997073.jpg (132KB, 649x429px) Image search: [Google]
1418754997073.jpg
132KB, 649x429px
>>15435608
>What does /m/ think of escaflowne?
The same exact way everyone else should.

>one of the best mech animes ever made
>one of the most original themed animes ever made
>has one of the best soundtracks in anime
>Has probably the best mix of shojo and shonen without either feeling tacked on
>The english dub was easily one of bandais best
>the fox kids version was an instant "this is what NOT to do ever" and should be mocked along side 4kids one piece
>the movie was probably the best "remake of an anime show into a movie"
>the first manga was seriously all over the fucking place
>the second manga was so god damn focused on the shojo that it confused the shit out of me
>fuck eva/wing fanboys in japan for damning it over there
>>
>>15446719
I dunno, Hitomi was one of my favourite female sidekicks in a show like this.

Generally, the whole "Fated Girl" character is just a whiney "Why does this keep happening to me, I wanna go home, SAVE ME, MC!!!!" Annoying bitch.

Hi Toni had a positive influence on the plot, saved the MC and others on multiple occasions, helped Vaan grow as a character and was, all in all, a believable character.

She felt like a character that belonged in the story, rather than just a character they tacked on to be a driving force for the plot.
>>
>>15444124
To be fair, Alan only falls in love with her, because the bad guys fatefucked him into doing it. I love that that bad guys plan to tear the group apart was to try and force a love-triangle.
>>
File: 4669.jpg (72KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
4669.jpg
72KB, 350x263px
>>15447070
>Shinzo
My nigger
>>
>>15447107
>Generally, the whole "Fated Girl" character is just a whiney "Why does this keep happening to me, I wanna go home, SAVE ME, MC!!!!" Annoying bitch.
You mean like Fushigi Yƻgi for example? Sure, Hitomi isn't nearly that bad as Miaka but then, a story like Fuishigi Yugi was no where near as good as Escaflowne nor did it have shounon elements in it.

You can like her if you want and I can admit - objectively - that Hitomi isn't that bad of a character in her own right, but stacked up against a show as awesome as Escaflowne and having her end up with the hot prince who just so happens to have angel wings just seems like a typical shoujo plot device from the 90's. Had Hitomi been in something like Fuishigi Yugi, she would have been a benefit instead of an obstruction.

It was a common problem in shoujo of the 90's and it's still sometimes a problem now. They either have these girls who are going after the shitty guy or they have a girl who is leagues beneath the dude who's totally in love with her.

I heard Yona and Hak from Akatsuki no Yona are really liked because they compliment eachother so well. Never saw it though.

Also, I hate to be 'that guy' but, excluding her personality, she's got to be one of the ugliest female anime characters I've ever seen. Even to this day. What bothers me is that I know it's not the length of her hair, because I love Noa Izumi from Patlabor and Hitomie's grandmother (who had long hair) wasn't that much better looking either. And even with the noses, everyone else seems to be alright except for her.
>>
Are there any other High-Fantasy Mecha anime?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.