[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, looks like the Akira and Robotech films are probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 51

File: 1491457523782[1].jpg (86KB, 440x769px) Image search: [Google]
1491457523782[1].jpg
86KB, 440x769px
Well, looks like the Akira and Robotech films are probably not gonna happen.
>>
>>15404980
Anybody who thinks white washing is why is a complete retard.
>>
>>15404980
I feel bad because this movie wasn't so terrible it deserved to flop this hard, however anything to discourage the live action Akira movie from happening is a god send. Fuck you Leo, you aren't going to ruin my favorite manga of all time.
>>
>>15404980
Robotech was never going to happen
>>
>>15405008
>this movie wasn't so terrible it deserved to flop this hard
Every Hollywood movie deserves to flop, you are right.
>>
>>15405030
I mean I hate the Hollywood system just pumping out by the numbers garbage, hopefully that bubble bursts soon. This movie though doesn't look like anything egregious, it didn't deserve to bomb this hard. If I had to pick one to do mediocre and one to bomb, Power Rangers deserved to bomb more.
>>
>>15404980
>based on animu movie
>mass appeal

Pick one. Pretentious anime fans don't populate this planet. And they will always bitch and moan.
>>
File: genkitoko.jpg (115KB, 163x297px) Image search: [Google]
genkitoko.jpg
115KB, 163x297px
>>15404980
Hurray!
>>
>>15405008
Akira is shit
>>
>>15404980
I think Robotech is dumb, but there's nothing I want more than a Robotech/Macross movie starring Tom Cruise
>>
Only the most die-hard Robofag would actually believe a Robotech live-action is going to be made. Sony fucked up big time by buying the "rights" because they can't adapt anything from Macross which is by far the most popular element in the compilation Frankenstein. Sorry New Gen fans, it's true and you know it.

As for Akira, they're going to change everything about it. It won't be set in Japan because Hollywood isn't going to properly adapt the original storyline's themes. It'll be New York and some kid named Steve the Psychowonder.
>>
>>15404980
>White washing
>implying Japanese actually care about this

https://youtu.be/ZU8Ingn8w24?t=1s

why are Americans such dumb cunts?
>>
>>15405273
Because white people are always re-appropriating other people's cultures. They literally can't help themselves from getting offended FOR minorities.
Yeah, there's that californian asian society that always makes a stink because they want attention because they feel ignored, but it's whites that storm social media.
>>
History has taught us that these movies are always shit. The leap from one format to another has never gone well and the audiences are very different.
>>
Gits was an awesome movie.
>>
>>15405332
>The leap from one format to another has never gone well
You're right. That's why Hollywood never adapts books or comics.
>>
They ignored the source material and cast ScarJew.

I would have used Rinko and just done a direct adaption of a Manga story not used for the original anime movie.
>>
>>15405332
Edge of tomorrow
>>
>>15404980
Let's face it, anime is not as mainstream as hollywood thinks. It's still just a niche market and I see this as a good thing. If it were to be mainstreamed by hollywood they'd ruin it with political correctness because hollywood SJW can't help themselves.

So at best we will never see a live action Robotech, and maybe hollywood and SJW will leave anime alone.
>>
>>15405344
The minor few exceptions don't outweigh the high budget flops pedo-wood is trying force feed the masses, but you are right edge of tomorrow wasn't a bad effort.
>>
>>15405350
The happy ending is the only thing bad with the movie
>>
>>15405343
>They ignored the source material
Did you watch the movie? It seemed like they took bits from the Oshii movie and a story from SAC
>>
>>15404980
The problem with adaptations is either that the higher ups/director think they know better than the source material, they want to leave their own mark on the film, or they think the audience is full of idiots.
>>
>>15405340
Comics are made for stupid people, Hollywood makes movies for stupid people, of course they work out better than trying to make a franchise started by Shirow Fucking Masamune appeal to the average moron.
>>
>>15405315
The whole concept of cultural disappropriation/reappropriationis bloody stupid. People are considering cultures as they are stone solid unchangeable, immune to external factors and that they are like what they are today since always. But cultures are things in constant change, mutating through exchange with other different cultures in a constant cycle. Hell, even the manga and anime medium is a proof of that; their base was formed by many inspirations on western media and pop culture, which molded stuff like narrative and presentation aspects of those works, who in turn influenced the next generation of national and foreign authors, and so on.

But now, westerns got a young generation of middle-class self-ashamed white faggits, who get pissed by people who fantasize as indians or samurais in hollowing, claiming this to be cultural disappropriation. Is so fucking stupid as when musicians in my country made a march against the electric guitar in the 60's, to defend the "national musical culture".
>>
>>15404980

Robotech was never going to happen; what's left of the fanbase is too old at this point, and the most popular Mecha, Characters, Ships, etc. are all off-limits unless Big West was involved (and this will never happen).

At best, we'd get a reboot with all-new western designs or Mospeada mecha.
>>
>>15405315

Japan is fucking magical as a tourist precisely because of their shameless appropriation (and perversion) of other cultures, and nobody makes a big stink about it.

Straight up, I don't want to live in a world without Japanese cowboys.
>>
>>15404980
I honestly haven't heard anything about live-action Akira in years and years.

I feel like I've heard a larger quantity of things about live-action Battle Angel, and more recently, but that's also few years ago now.

Whatever problems the Akira movie is having, GitS flopping is not the main factor.
>>
>>15405675
>Whatever problems the Akira movie is having, GitS flopping is not the main factor.

I don't think Akira movie has gotten out of development hell.

Gits failing could mean that Execs would axe all the upcoming Anime-to-live action films.
>>
>>15405362
they took a lot of stuff from the oshii movie and the anime. yet the story is fucking garbage and they changed the major.
>>
>>15405343
>They ignored the source material

Every shot is full of shit from the source material even the weird helicopters
>>
>>15405332
>>15405350
Speed Racer was a great film it only did bad in box offices cause it was set against Iron Man 2
>>
>>15407196
He literally said:
>and just done a direct adaption of a Manga story not used for the original anime movie.
So I don't know why you're pushing that he meant the '95 movie as the "source material".
>>
File: a4111408979_10.jpg (353KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a4111408979_10.jpg
353KB, 1200x1200px
>>15404980
>Well, looks like the Akira and Robotech films are probably not gonna happen.

WE DID IT.

OUR COLLECTIVE HATE WON THE GAME.

JAPAN-TOONS ARE SAVED FROM HOLLYWOOD!
>>
>>15404980
Neither of those movies were ever going to happen.
>>
>>15405343
Fans of the anime have literally never read the Manga.
>>
>>15405367
>of course they work out better than trying to make a franchise started by Shirow Fucking Masamune appeal to the average moron.
Shirow's GitS is a goofy ecchi manga.

It was Oshii who turned it super serious high-concept cerebral.
>>
>>15407262
>It was Oshii who mixed it super serious high-concept cerebral Blade Runner.
FTFY
>>
>>15407253
From what everyone is always telling me, the manga is the worst entry in the series.
>>
>>15407356
Which manga? There's 2 or 3 depending on how you see it.
>>
>>15404980
Akira will still attempt to get made however that movie is cursed so nothing will come of it.
>>
>>15405315
It's just 1 giant shit test that white men are failing. Everything that can be done to fuck with white men is being done. People with no context for anything have found a platform to make noise on that other soulless faggots will promote to the main stream for agenda pushing.
>>
>>15404980
>Akira and Robotech films are probably not gonna happen
>Robotech films
>Robotech
Good. The last thing we need is Harmony Gold making more goddamn money so they can spend it on stopping the actually good franchise from getting a release here.
>>
>>15407356
No, the original manga is the best entry in the series. Most people are either mixing up the original with it's sequel or don't like the fact that the manga isn't as serious as the '95 movie. Personally, I think the manga's less serious tone works well with the deep, philisophical themes
>>
File: gits.jpg (46KB, 456x257px) Image search: [Google]
gits.jpg
46KB, 456x257px
>>
>>15405315
>>15405663
>It's not that people can only relate to their own race, but that it is very helpful in making you feel included and represented. Japan is 90% Yamato Japanese; their duties in terms of representation are different. America is AT BEST 70% white, but if you break that whiteness down and remove Jewish people, Hispanics, etc, who often identify as those first, America is a ridiculously multiracial country by any standard. But then you go and look at our media and it's white face after white face on TV, on movie posters, on video game covers. And not just white, but very specific kinds of white. This wouldn't be so bad, but THE SAME WHITE PEOPLE are always moaning about hyphenated Americans and why can't people just be American why do we have to be multicultural blah blah blah. Well, it's because any rational person would look at the things Americans put out to represent Americaness and conclude that white people really don't consider everyone else American. It fucks with minority buy-in to American institutions, goals, initiatives, values, w/e. In the back of their minds is the thought that if they're not included and aren't really considered American, why should they care? They're here for the paycheck.
>You help to solve a lot of problems by promoting diversity in media. Both sides calm down a little in the end because some of the pressure and anxious undercurrent of whether or not people belong is taken care of.
>>
>>15405431
That's not the problem with cultural appropriation. The problem is taking parts of a culture and using it to make oodles of cash that the original, un-whitewashed versions couldn't because white Americans are racist as shit. Most non-white Americans are in this country because their ancestors were economically useful but they never get the chance to make shit for themselves because the market won't accept their work without a white face on it (or, blackface, when going back to minstrel shows).
>>
GitS 2017 made me finally renounce Rottentomatoes and other review-aggregates. Was it bad? Yeah, kinda. Was it worse than Bayformers and Thor: The Dark World? Fuck no.
>>
I wish people would think about how many things were done in the movie to try and get people into the franchise.
>>
>>15404980
>shit director
>shit actor
>shit plot
>movie bombs
wow, how can this be?
>>
>>15405332
Mortal Kombat was good desu
>>
>>15408676
No it wasn't. It was just Lambert mumbling and that deet de deet deet music constantly.
>>
>>15408709
fuck you, I liked it
>>
>>15408709
Yes it was.

YOUR SOUL IS MINE
>>
>>15408676
I'm too biased, in middle school, I biked w/ my buddy Lars to see it. Of course I'd think it's bad-ass.
>>
Was she ever asian ot begin with? I even remember the manga and she didn't look asian at all
>>
>>15404991
Wait my head is about EXPLODE.

Someone please explain: am I a racist for not caring about the movie or the opposite?

Americ always going on about race. I wonder if they ever get tired of themselves. Weird country.
>>
>>15405367
People should be permabanned for proving themselves this much of a newfag.
>>
>>15407253
Yeah, so what? There are many examples of movie adaptation being just better than the source material. I didnt read the manga myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case here, considering that pretty much everybody who ever mentions GitS talks about 1995 version and "oh, that was based on some manga too".
>>
>>15404980
It flopped because:
>everyone knows Scarjo is a talentless hack
>amnesia plot seemed too generic for anyone to care
>much of what made GitS interesting was stripped away so it just came off as robocop with tits
Here's something else: GitS isn't that obscure. Even if normal young folk haven't seen or read it, they most likely know someone who had some firsthand exposure. In such a case, this friend of theirs probably said that the manga/anime is cool but the movie is going to suck because it changed so much.
>>
>>15409146
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the people who watched "the anime" sans subtitles on toonami/adult swim.
You know, the bigger part of the series' US fanbase that probably would never have watched it if it wasn't dubbed.
>>
>>15408709
Those were $500 sunglasses asshole.
>>
>>15405354
No, it got the main theme of self-improvement wrong too. Also ditching the armor early on most loops was stupid. As was having the Mimics not learn from loops as well as Cage like they did in the books. And there was no scavenging of batteries, ammo, and filters. And the axe was a fucking joke.
>>
>>15408650
>won't accept their work without a white face on it
Lel
>>
>>15404991
I think it does factor in but not to the degree others think. There's a charm lost when you swap their races.

Personally if I want to see a Death Note movie or a Ghost in the Shell movie I want to see Light Yagami, or Motoko Kusanagi, and so on and so forth. Making them random white people with different names defeats a lot of the purpose of watching a movie based on a franchise. I know Scarjo was Motoko in the end but who the fuck wanted to watch a GITS movie starring "Mira Killian"?

That's the difference too in adapting an established anime and remaking a random movie or show with a white cast. In a way those characters are just as much part of the draw in a live action anime film.
>>
File: 1458313580961.png (3KB, 243x190px) Image search: [Google]
1458313580961.png
3KB, 243x190px
>>15404980
Wtf ban assault ethnic miscasts!
>>
>>15404980

Let's be honest here. First, japs in general are fugly as shit. Second, people want someone they can relate to in toys and media. It wouldn't make sense not to whitewash the movie.
>>
>>15408945
I think you're racist for not caring, and racist for caring but for the wrong reasons
yes, everyone who doesn't give a shit is exhausted by the small percent who won't shut the fuck up about it and has been driving everything into the ground
>>
>>15410842

I believe we've reached a point where "racist" is becoming a badge of decency, because the ones who keep throwing it around are obnoxious and deranged. Wtf is wrong with it anyway? Being a social animal means looking after your own pack and protecting it from external threats. Throwing away your group identity for the sake of people who retain theirs and dislike you is unnatural and a group suicide.
>>
>ITT: the white perspective
>>
>>15410875

Well, the recent posts sure as shit don't represent the american perspective, just a fraction of it.
>>
My views:
- Batou's casting and portrayal was great
- Dat Gabriel
- CGI/Practical effects were pretty good
- Scene homages to the anime
- Kuze was pretty charismatic
- ScarJo's portrayal was serviceable but bogged down by bad writing
- The other members of Section 9 didn't really play much of a role (Saitou literally appeared only at the end for less than 1 minute)
- Hamfistedly trying to explain that Mira Killian's really actually Motoko Kusanagi (feels like they were attempting to justify the whitewashing controversry, but really stupidly)
- Plot felt excessively like Robocop 2014: Corporation places human in robotic body, tries to kill them when they rediscover their original identities, evil corporate honcho's the final boss, yada yada
- Music's pretty forgettable
>>
>>15411090
Holy shit. Mind = blown, it just clicked that both have essentially the same plot as Robocop.
>>
>>15410875
Give the non-white perspective.
>>
>>15408650
>white Americans are racist as shit.
/leftypol/ here
Stop making us look bad with your IdPol, Librul. Some Hollywood execs opinions doesn't speak for the audience whatsoever. People in America are more willing to look past someone's race in entertainment than anywhere else on the planet due to sheer cultural osmosis. Euros just virtue signal but their non-white populations are minimal and confined to the largest cities.
Now stop pretending like there should be any other concerns than the class war, your Identity Politics shit just divides people, and it's the very same IdPol that fuels the Aut-Right but on the other side of the coin
Oh and uhh robots and stuff. Polite sage.
>>
>>15411119
Robocop has his team of cop colleagues helping him out, along with Dr. Norton, who was previously working with the evil corporate honcho. Robocop unravels a conspiracy behind the corporation's involvement with missing confiscated weaponry. Robocop then gets wrecked up by the honcho's tank mechs (ED-209). Evil honcho gets shot dead, Robocop gets his body restored and back to duty.

Major has her team of Sec 9 colleagues helping her out, along with Dr. Ouelete, who was previously working with the evil corporate honcho. Major unravels a conspiracy behind the corporation's involvement with missing runaways. Major then gets wrecked up by the honcho's tank mech (Spider-Tank). Evil honcho gets shot dead, Major gets her body restored and back to duty.
>>
>>15411163
Yo, /pol/ here.

Stop virtue signaling, hipster liberal.

Yep, you heard me, modern commies are just hipster liberals.
>>
File: 1491247300392.png (25KB, 743x382px) Image search: [Google]
1491247300392.png
25KB, 743x382px
>>15404980
>white washing
>she's jewish
>>
>>15411257
The media sees jews as white
>>
File: 1491247300392.png (23KB, 743x382px) Image search: [Google]
1491247300392.png
23KB, 743x382px
>>15411260
>>
>>15411260
Or the jewish media wants jews to be white, unless it's da holocoaster.
>>
File: manga comics lol.gif (25KB, 979x568px) Image search: [Google]
manga comics lol.gif
25KB, 979x568px
>>15404980
>Capeshit fans all get excited for Hollywood adaptations of their favorite franchises and hipster normies go along with it

>Weebs all dread Hollywood butcherings of their favorite franchises and normies don't even know what shit even is.
>>
>>15407356
No, it's fine.
I don't think it's the best version of the universe in many ways (I personally think SAC is my favorite, it hits a good middle ground between the manga and the 95 movie in tone and style), but I do like the manga a lot.
>>
>>15411495
Dayum, you've got shitrow taste.
>>
>>15413595
Cute. Also, that's you.
>>
>>15405008
Chronicle was a great homage to Akira
>>
>>15413628
Is that GWEEN GOBWIN?!
>>
>>15413682
Isn't that the question of the day
>>
File: 1399637651735.jpg (314KB, 1000x542px) Image search: [Google]
1399637651735.jpg
314KB, 1000x542px
>>15413689
OUT, AM I?
>>
>>15413702
>You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us, you filthy kike!
I don't think I liked that part. Seemed out of place.
>>
File: 1397195661921.jpg (1MB, 2017x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1397195661921.jpg
1MB, 2017x3000px
>>15413723
>Lord of The Spider: The Twin Towers
>>
File: CW.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
CW.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
Anybody hyped for Homecoming?
>>
I've still got high hopes for the Alita movie, since it's got Cameron and Rodriguez.
>>
>>15413785
>Cameron
Cameron booted his ass outta the project.
>>
>>15413820
?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alita:_Battle_Angel

>The film is produced by James Cameron and Jon Landau, and Robert Rodriguez has signed on to direct the film based on a script written by Laeta Kalogridis.

Apparently shooting finished back in February and it's in post-production.
>>
>>15404980
Why would someone want to watch a live action version of Akira?
>>
>>15413867
>Production and release were repeatedly delayed due to former producer Cameron's work on Avatar and its sequels.
>>
>>15404991
The real reason is wasting money on hack famous actors.
>>
>>15411346
>>Capeshit fans all get excited for Hollywood adaptations of their favorite franchises and hipster normies go along with it

Marvel movies, maybe. Nobody is exciting for DC's movies unless they're fucking stupid.
>>
>>15413915
BUT BUT BUT JUSTICE LEAGUE WILL BE FUN
SO FUN
FUN MUCH
WOWE FUN
>>
>>15408652
This. You shouldve known better in the first place though. It's like the whole GG thing that /v/ went thru. The entire time I was thinking "don't you people understand that this is how all journalism has worked for over a century?" People act like entertainment product reviews mean jackshit other than "buy this thing" or "they didn't pay me enough to make you buy this thing"
GitS wasn't good but it wasn't that bad
>>
>>15408945
My friend acts like the anime in your pic is the greatest shit ever but everytime I try to watch it I get bored to death and I've watched fucking LOGH
>>
>>15411236
Meet me at the flagpole after school
>>
File: FergusBreakstheRules23.jpg (58KB, 622x472px) Image search: [Google]
FergusBreakstheRules23.jpg
58KB, 622x472px
The whole "White Washing" idea is stupid. If an anime is to be adapted to another country, the characters are going to be in that country.

However, I don't know if something like AKIRA can work for an American movie because the premise is based too much on Japan. I think the Japanese should just do it themselves, or better yet, LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE
>>
>>15414421
Akira will be changed to Arthur or some shit
>>
>>15410812
Yeah lets make a movie where lincoln is black!
>>
>>15413775
I'm actually very hype for homecoming. I wasn't sure how I felt about that kid playing spiderman at first, but in Civil War he showed that he's the only one of the actors that have played Peter Parker so far that successfully captured Parker's punkass attitude. I'm not saying the first two movies weren't good, I'm just saying that this feels like the proper approach to the material given the comic.

>>15404980
Critics actually didn't hate it which is a little surprising, but in all seriousness I don't think that it's the end of the line for adaptations considering Death Note is getting an adaptation on Netflix.

and if we want to talk about white washing. let's not talk about light TURNER, but instead a black L.
Everyone is racist, just varies on what degree of racism they are on.
>>
>>15410812
This is a terrible argument. Jackie chan and bruce lee were fucking huge. San andreas is one of the most popular games of all time and you could only play as a black guy.

What gives people the shits is meddlers who think they can improve or politically correct something by changing a characters race.
>>
>>15404980
How do I become a scholar of gits?
>>
File: 1491605874883.gif (698KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1491605874883.gif
698KB, 480x270px
>>15404980
Why do they put Scarjo in movies?
She has the acting range of a brick wall.
>>
>>15415267
>watch all the anime
>read the manga

Congratulations you know more than 90% of /m/
>>
>>15415291
because she is a member of the (((tribe))) and used to be hot before the pregnancy and breast reduction.
>>
>>15410213
The average moviegoer (aka the average person who will spend money on a movie) does not give two flying fucks about:
>Anime
>Ghost in the Shell
>the race of characters from anime, Ghost in the Shell, or anything involving those two things

The only thing that will make them see a movie like GitS is...if it looks cool. Ghost in the Shell has a weird ass title, that's a detriment right there, and it's got an obscure premise that most people won't want to wrap their heads around during the course of a two minute trailer.
>>
>>15404980
Macross movie would have bayformers.
>>
>>15404980
Not as good as the manga but I thought it was decent.....

it brought some cool stuff in but did have a dumb ass love story angle......

Shirow is so good....
>>
>Alita moving coming out.
>Some people whine about her being whitewashed and how important it is that she be played by an Asian.
>Her being azn plays zero role in the story.
>Meanwhile, her Martian origins are important.
>In fact, she's a fully-formed brain created by a deadly tumor that was removed from a regional leader on Mars that is a tremendous bitch.
>>
>>15415141
>This is a terrible argument. Jackie chan and bruce lee were fucking huge.
Yeah as comical Chinamen. Nobody wants to be an Asian except for deluded weabs.
>>
>>15421212
It's like you don't even know the '70s ever existed.
>>
>>15415132
>he's the only one of the actors that have played Peter Parker so far that successfully captured Parker's punkass attitude
Naaaah he really didn't. Garfield did a better job at that. I think all three did well in different areas of the character.
>>
File: Huge Jackman.png (965KB, 889x456px) Image search: [Google]
Huge Jackman.png
965KB, 889x456px
>>15415141
>San andreas is one of the most popular games of all time and you could only play as a black guy.

>not playing as HUGE JACKMAN
>>
File: Ork_warboss_only_war_jubjubjedi.jpg (176KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Ork_warboss_only_war_jubjubjedi.jpg
176KB, 800x1143px
>>15415267
>How do I become a scholar of gits?

READ A ZOGGIN' BOOK
>>
>>15414421
>>15414855

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI
>>
>>15405675
Latest rumor is that Peele of Key and Peele (writer of Get Out) wants to write Akira. At this point, they probably just need to leave it alone. Live action anime movies have had a pretty bad track record.

>>15408676
First Mortal Kombat was pretty good, it was basically Bloodsport with a kickass soundtrack. Seriously, that CD, and the MMPR Movie soundtrack were incredible. It wasn't just the techno.
>>
The problem was they catered to the wrong audience.

People who liked the original Ghost in the Shell:
>What the fuck is this shit they made the story so generic.

People who don't like anime:
>What the fuck it's based off an anime? I'm not going to associate myself with a bunch of weebs.

People who don't know anything about GiS or it being anime:
>Oh... so it's a sci-fi movie. I guess it looks pretty- oh nevermind it seems these two vocal groups of people are shitting on it so it must be a bad film.

It's better to try and please old fans and hope word of mouth makes your movie a hit than try to bring new ones in. GitS isn't everybody's cup of tea, so pissing off its own fanbase is a death wish.
>>
>>15422459
It takes two to shitfest. If there weren't people screaming "all lives matters" back at people screaming "black lives matter", it would've been just a minor footnote in the history of 2016.
>>
>>15404980
>robotech

thank god.

fuck harmony gold. I want srw games, fucking kikes.
>>
>>15422483
Nobody really gives a shit about Johansan being white. Most complaints were about her in general being casted because she's an irrelevant actor.

As for the article and other claims of why it failed, the producers don't want to admit they made a shit film so they're using every excuse to try and justify their losses (see: new Ghostbusters).
>>
>Hollywood goes "maybe we should make movies out of games/anime while they're not milked dry yet"
>what gets made fails, everything else goes into dev hell and is forgotten
>time passes
>Hollywood goes "maybe we should make movies out of games/anime while they're not milked dry yet"
And the cycle goes on.
I don't even know how can you guys get so worked up about that.
>>
>>15405254
>nothing I want more than a Robotech/Macross movie starring Tom Cruise

He's already in talks to make a live-action adaptation of Yukikaze.
>>
>>15422495
Because we don't want to see our favorite franchises get butchered to the point that either everybody who wasn't a fan previously think it's a shit pile or the movie bombs so bad any hopes of having the franchise prosper in the future dies then and there.
>>
>>15422492
Yeah. Pretty much everyone I saw across all social media sites were talking about either that she was not athletic enough, not an action star enough, or that it seemed off that someone would design a robot to look like a 40 year old; past her prime bot.
"SJW" people are annoying, but the "anti-SJW" were worse with how they were obsessed with forcing every discussion into being about white-washing.
Probably because that's literally the only defensible argument they thought they had.
>>
>>15408945
I assure you, we do
>>
File: pixy.jpg (181KB, 714x1011px) Image search: [Google]
pixy.jpg
181KB, 714x1011px
>>15422495
I see this as opportunity cost. All the money and resources wasted on a bad adaptation that could have been used on a good original story or a sequel to a good film.It makes me rage.

Instead of something like Dredd 2 we're gonna get Death Note by the same hack who did the new Blair Witch.
>>
>>15422667
Not sure why the pic there.
"This twisted Hollywood needs to be reset?"
Illustrating the topic of resource wasting with one of Belka's resource wasting superweapons?
I've been playing almost solely Zero for a week now, Zero the BGM will never get out of my head.
>>
File: ACAH-N_WP02_1920x1080.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ACAH-N_WP02_1920x1080.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>15422676
Is a great game and a great BGM.Enjoy them.
>>
>>15422684
Of course.
Only one ace's head remaining to complete the wall.
>>
>>15404980
But Anon, Robotech is an original creation by the HG Company, not a japanese cartoon.
>>
>>15411163
>People in America are more willing to look past someone's race in entertainment than anywhere else on the planet

In reality, Hollywood has a stable of white women with non-WASP names and stupidly pale African-American ladies to play all of their women of colour roles.
>>
>>15411346
We know from experience.
>>
>(((Hollywood)))
>Whitewashing
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 744x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 744x552px
>>15422853
pretty ridiculous, righ?
>>
>>15411163
>People in America are more willing to look past someone's race in entertainment than anywhere else on the planet
That's funny because when asked about a white person being cast as the major the Japanese thought it was awesome, and when asked about Hollywood "whitewashing" they didn't even know it was a thing and thought roles always just went to the best actors for them.
>>
I watched the film subbed last week and dubbed in Japanese today. Aside from Aramaki/Beat Takeshi it's the anime cast (the correct one, not Arise's). The results are pretty good, and I can confidently say that live action GitS dubbed is a better entry in the series than fucking Arise.

I thought the film was okay. The controversy REALLY seems manufactured, and the arrogant bullshit I've seen from yanks saying that Japanese staff (Oshii included) and fans don't mind the casting becausethey "worship white people" or of "internalised racism" seems far more racist than anything this film did. That being said it's visually inferior to the first Oshii movie and the plot is mediocre. Why the fuck is it an origin story? Motoko never needed an origin story.

Would have looked forward to sequels free of origin story shit but given how it bombed in the US I guess that won't be happening.

>>15422915
Ironically, the most common complaint about the casting coming from Japanese fans is about Aramaki/Beat Takeshi. Besides being way more out of character than anyone else, all of his lines are delivered via barely-audible mumbling and people are saying that he should have been dubbed/subbed over (only English subtitles for his lines in the subbed version).
>>
File: image.jpg (277KB, 450x564px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
277KB, 450x564px
>>15422915
totally, bro. when someone told the entirety of the japanese race about it, they were like "sweet. that's awesome sauce!".
>>
>>15422923
>>15422915

Glorious Nippon doesn't have the racial politics of America.
>>
>>15405347

I'd love to see SJWs take on anime. The Japanese give precisely zero fucks and would politely shame them into the ground.
>>
>>15425461
Japanese wouldn't even shame them, they'd give them the "you don't exist" ignoring.
>>
>>15425472
>they'd give them the "you don't exist" ignoring.
Truly a fate worse than death for the greater North-American SJW, which sustains itself on a steady diet of tumblr follows and attention whoring.
>>
>>15425670
the more I think about it I want to see an SJW get the Japanese no-sell
>>
>>15404980
Good but this might salt the fields for any cyberpunk themed movies. That is what saddens me.
>>
>>15425719
Dude, if not for people knowing that Blade Runner "2" went into production in early 2015, we wouldn't even be having Westworld, Humans, and GitS. So let's not act like any of those were/are the trendsetter in this situation.
>>
>>15425772
I know that its in production and I know that the GitS was not the trend setter but it really only takes one movie failure for Hollywood to burn any script for a cyberpunk movie.
>>
>>15425779
it's a chink in the armor but it's not the death yet
>>
>>15425779
That's like saying one of those shitty space operas trying to capitalize on the hype of an upcoming Star Wars movie could tank the genre.
Not to diminish your point, I get that something like Westworld boosted the cyberpunk hype, and GitS may or may not have tanked some of that hype, but Blade Runner 2049 is too big to be affected, like Star Wars.
>>
Fuck GitS, Blade Runner and whatever, where's my Johnny Mnemonic sequel?
>>
>>15425840
now he has almost 2 terabytes of storage
>>
>>15425840
Dude, I don't wanna spoil it for you, but no, man. There is no "sequel" for Johnny.
>>
>>15425846
Oh did you find a japanese copy? I was gonna say it probably wasn't worth the trouble, but the thread died overnight.
>>
>>15425852
I got one labeled "Extended Cut" one labeled "Japanese Cut".
I haven't bothered to check the two against each other but I figure it's a good start.
>>
>>15425853
Download a "Japanese Cut" myself, but it died on me like 86% in.
Where's the anime?
>>
>>15425855
there's always Goddamn Fucking Cyber Cunt City Shit Oedo Ass 80 Piss 8

Also I can throw the various JMs I've got up on Mega if you want.
>>
>>15425862
I meant, where's the scene in the movie where they're watching some anime.
>>
>>15425864
oh I see
It's near the start when Johnny gets the cyberdata
>>
>>15404991
They look white in the anime to me

guess they love us
>>
>>15425862
That would be sweet. Tho I don't wanna impose, man.
>>
>>15425869
Alright, that's definitely Demon City Shinjuku.
https://youtu.be/Y_91QsS-nNU?t=107
Besides, it's never a bad idea to fucking rewatch Cyber City goshdarnnit Oedo, cunt.
>>
>>15425895
cool, thanks
>>15425891
I've got them both cyberuploading to a hypermega right onlinenow, but I don't know if the megacorps' black ice might get in the way, guess I'll see if I wake up in the morning
>>
>>15425920
Hah!
>>
>>15410868
You could compete in the olympics with the mental gymnastics you're doing.
>>
i ironically liked the plot twist that she was asian all along
>>
>>15405343
Anime depicts her as caucasoid as well though.

Plus the whole identity of the bidy being different to your original identity is kinda a thing the setting is about exploring. Scar jo was a good casting choice.
>>
>>15422522
Its probably different in different circles. All the stuff i saw on my Facebook and shit was people calling gits and great wall(bizarrely) often in the same sentence, with whitewashed as their only issue.
>>
>>15425954
Kindly explain?
>>
The merits of the whole whitewashing controversy aside, it is difficult to think that was related to the disappointing returns on the film. It is hard to think of a different set of cast that would have turned the $20 million domestic opening weekend into the $40-50 million domestic opening weekend they needed, especially with the director and scriptwriters who put together this film.

I just hope that it is the final nail in the Akira idea, which has seemed like a bad idea since it first came to light with little hope of being a film worth watching. Regardless of the casting decisions, changes to the plot, and even the quality of the film, you aren't going to have promising returns at least from the North American market on a film called Akira.
>>
File: le katana face.png (8KB, 243x309px) Image search: [Google]
le katana face.png
8KB, 243x309px
>>15404980
>me mum goes to the movies
>"whatever you pick don't watch Ghost in the Shell, it's awful"
>"ok honey"
>fast forward
>"had fun at the theater?"
>"no, the movie was awful"
>"what did you watched"
>"Ghost in the Shell"
>>
>>15426553
I'm talking about actual people, not trending clickbait articles. You know, it's become over the last year the number 1 way that "fake news" gets disseminated, I wonder if this shitfest would've existed without facebook and the reposts on other social media platforms.
>>
>>15421714
Why the FUCK would Peele write that? Are they gonna turn it into a parody starring a black cast?
>>
>>15426542
Not really. She's always depicted with asian-like eyes, which would mean something if all they didn't do that for pretty much all women.
Unlike men, they give every women small anime noses, high asian-like cheekbones, and somewhat big eyes in comparison (mostly to the anime noses). It's odd that people keep trying to force assumed feelz on her "race" when it's moot, she's neutral in the scheme of things.
>>
>>15425920
link please. looked in the beep beep folder, didn't see it. thank you.
>>
>>15427146
oh sorry, I forgot to up the link before I headed to work
it's whatever the most recent mega I started is, I think it's got the last couple of Mazinger HK isos before I wandered off when disc 12 was hard to rip

I'll up the direct link later when I'm out of the office. I try to not use piracy stuff on company tubes too much.
>>
>>15427138
>She's always depicted with asian-like eyes,
nah. we get some good detailed close up shots and there's a distinct lack of epicanthic folds.
Plus there are other scenes in SAC where they draw other explictly asian woman with narrow eyes compared to majors.
>>
>>15411346
Who's the guy between Atom and Tetsujin?
>>
>>15427202
Nice strawman, epicantic folds are a feature most asians have, but the most defining feature of asian eyes is the almond shape. Besides the fact that there are many types of epicantic folds and anime almost never depicts them, if ever.
>>
well she is white anime, as with most of the cast
>>
>>15427202
>epicanthic folds = asian eyes
Yeah right sure, that's why whites have called them "slant-eyes" for over a century, because of the inside corner of their eyes... moron.
>>
>>15404980
The funny thing is that they could have made some kind of GiTS SAC summary movie. It may have missed the point entirely, but a futuristic cop drama would have been a lot better than what we got.

Either that or Hollywood can just nut the fuck up and finally make a S.N.A.T.C.H.E.R. movie.

>>15404991
>being this retarded
Whether or not the white-washing is legit, racism controversy always hurts sales. The movie was obviously going to be shit from the get-go, but the shitshow that opened up over ScarJo's casting probably impacted its numbers.
>>
>>15427389
Sad thing is there probably wouldn't have been such an outcry if they didn't have to settle for ScarJo and got Robbie Margot.
Besides the people who basically just wack-off to her action flicks, her physicality in the avengers movies was lacking.
>>
>>15427399
Or if they had just given it to an actually competent director and female lead. I know it's tumblr as fuck, but a GiTS movie could have been good with Del Toro directing and Rinko Kikuchi as Kusanagi.
>>
File: Capture.png (29KB, 738x255px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
29KB, 738x255px
""""Asian""""-american """actresses""" and dumb weeaboos BTFO
>>
>>15427441
I didn't mean that's my dream movie, that's definitely not my dream team. Just if Margot didn't turn down the role before doing that DC flick.
Ideally, I'd have had the lead wear some sorta facial prosthetics, not just for appearances, but for incorporation with practical effects (plus you could outfit stunt doubles w/ them). Not really a big deal who I'd pick as long as she could act and physically preform, I'd actually have spent more time casting the other Section 9 members, those would've been the A-list actors, not the other way around.
>>
>>15427459
Why does she think japanese aren't asians or capable of being asian-american? And then there's that bad paraphrasing "better off being white than the japanese it was intended" next to a quote saying "it'd be worse if an asian or asian-american pretended to be japanese, better off white". These aren't the same thing.
Basically, she doesn't want a non-japanese asian or a japanese-american playing a japanese person, and would rather have a white instead (of having a non-japanese ethic from japan play her). It's like she was lead to say "I want white" with how bad that paraphrasing because she clearly wanted a japan born japanese play the part.
>>
>>15427484
Do you remember Memoirs of a Geisha? Hollywood doesn't care about Asian ethnicity. They consider it job done that they got an Asian. So I understand why she would prefer them to just go white, since they wouldn't do it properly the other way.
>>
>>15427598
See, there it is again. She doesn't say she prefers white casting, she says she'd rather have a white cast than have a non-japanese asian play the role of a japanese person, context being that she'd have no problem having an actual japanese cast.
It's literally like paraphrasing a doctor who says "I'd prefer to do abortions only in cases of rape" into "I prefer to do abortions". They're dumping all the context to fit their political message.
I guarantee she was "lead" into that question because their touting her "second best option" as her "preferred option".
>>
>>15413775
>We want a Miles movie but it has to star Peter because contractual obligations literally stipulate Spider-Man has to be white (and straight).
>>
>>15427277
the epicanthic fold is why they have almond shaped eyes. They're essentially synomous
>>
>>15427692
>Spider-Man has to be white (and straight)
isn't he always that in the comics though?
>>
>>15422492
>Nobody really gives a shit about Johansan being white.
Plenty of people do. If not that, plenty of people cared about being branded as bigoted for not caring that she's white.
>>
>>15427030
>Pacific Rim summary of box office results, charts and release information and related links. ... Opening Weekend: $37,285,325. (#3 rank, 3,275 theaters, $11,385

Close enough. Also, it wouldn't have needed to make that much if it had had a lower-priced cast.
>>
>>15427693
Epicantic fold removal surgery never results in non-almond shaped eyes. Try again, make up more shit. A flap of skin overlapping the inner most corner of an eye doesn't dictate the overall shape of the eye.
>>
>>15427696
Not in the Ultimate series that the MCU is most heavily based on (hence Samuel L. Jackson playing Nick Fury instead of... I dunno, Harrison Ford).
>>
>>15427698
Far more people cared enough to spam-reply to white-washing claims. Face it, both extremes to the situation made it a "big deal" on social media.
This shit happens every single time theres any movie with any ethnic characters, only difference now is the "alt-right" or the "all lives matters" or whatever also making a big deal over it and giving the claims an extreme amount of attention.
>>
File: img047.jpg (562KB, 789x976px) Image search: [Google]
img047.jpg
562KB, 789x976px
>>15427165
following up it's over in https://mega.nz/#F!bMQ13DRJ!KQxCdsUPTJVAYFVbWtW0aA
>>
>>15404980
Major never appeared asian to me. She looked like a white female.

A lot of anime films, the characters look white to me with round eyes and different colored hair as well as eyes.

The only one I can call off the top of my head that resembles some asianic features would be Parasyte the maxim. Even then, some of the characters look cauasian to me
>>
>>15428685
>She looked like a white female.
>...different colored hair
Wait, since when has full-on black hair been associated with white people and definitely not asian ancestry?
ScarJo dyed her hair black to match that, and looked like a mongoloid due to it.
>>
>>15428685
In Oshii's films she doesn't look Asian but in SAC she looks a little Asian and in Arise she looks the most Asian. Might be because her features got softened and rounded out.
>>
>>15427693
The almond eyes is a meme.

The "beautiful" asians have a strongly positive canthal tilt. It's why they look exotic. Basically it's evil anime eyes, where the outer corner of the eye is high but the inner corner is low.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 1366x768px
>>15428759
To be fair, Oshii isn't the original version, and his was a mixture of the manga version plus another character from another IP.
>>
>>15428563
Grabbed all the components. Thanks brother, you're a king.
>>
>>15429605
no problem
I still haven't gone through the two versions I got, so I just uploaded both. No clue what the differences are beyond the obvious file structure differences.
>>
>>15430014
I checked the first handful of additional scenes, they both have them. I hope I didn't waste your time if the extended was what you had already seen. If you remember Kitano looking at a holograph of his daughter early on, then I def wasted your time. Sorry.
>>
so what do you guys think of the toei spiderman?
i never watched, but i seems oddly interesting
is it any good?
>>
>>15430123
"oddly interesting" is a pretty good description
it's can be kinda clunky at times, but there's enough entertainment to make it worth a look
>>
>>15427719
>Harrison Ford
Fuck you for making me want something I never knew I wanted
>>
>>15427724
>Vocal minority
Also internet arguments are always skewed to the straight white dude demo. If it looks anything close to even, it means public opinion is waaaay against it.
>>
>>15427724
Is it really that terrifying to think that the conversation is being steered by not-white-people? Because you're doing a lot of work to pretend that it isn't.
>>
>>15430224
Sorry anon. But let's be real, HF would have fucked the release schedule getting injured.
>>
>>15430684
>says that I'm scared
>says that I'm a try-hard
If I were dumber, I wouldn't have been able to see pass the inflammatory language. Counter productive to the dialogue you're trying to have.
Anyway, everyone and their brother knows there's been "white-washing claims" everytime any movie/show comes out with any sort of ethnic characters for at least the last decade. That's undeniable, it's the same now as it's always been.
Your problem is you took one part of my post and seperated it from the context of the rest of it.
"Far more peope" is in conjunction with "difference now", meaning there's "far more" "spam-replies" "now", not more repliers than claimers, which is truely impossible to discern.
The difference, culturally, is the emergence of anti-protest protesters. People who spam-replies to boycott starbucks and hamilton yet make them more popular/successful, people who involuntarily made a mediocre film like beauty n the beast the most successful movie of the year, and then managed to help tank GitS.
It's insane to think about, because it seems staged, but they've been "judo'd" and used as publicity at every turn by companies and media that want to boost revenue.
The only success thing they've done to date is defend that chicken joint that's closed on sundays.
>>
>>15404991
This.
It was just a shitty film.
People wouldn't have even given it the time of day if it weren't for the controversy; which in the actual actually turned out to be a commentary on racial identity, which would be ironic to both the morons complaining about the nonissue and those supporting the film in order to stick it to the former. Should be obvious to anyone with half a brain, but this is the modern moviegoing audience we're talking about.
Maybe they just don't want to admit they're wrong and prefer to double down, but I think that gives them too much credit.
>>
>>15430684
asian americans are white people in yellow skin.
actual asians don't give a shit
>>
>>15432641
>>15430684
Speaking as an actual asian: To us, your "asian Americans" are pretty much the stereotype of the arrogant overbearing obnoxious American. They are openly racist towards all non-American asians, claim that we should support them unconditionally in everything, and calling us uneducated or saying we worship white people or that we have "internalized racism" whatever the fuck that means when we don't because they're fucking psychos.

Look up the Boston MFA kimono fiasco and note that while the thing was held at the MFA, it was organised by the NHK and sponsored by the Cool Japan Fund, that is to say the JAPANESE GOVERNMENT ITSELF.
>>
>>15432847
Also: Asian Americans frequently talk shit about cultures they know nothing about claiming to be experts solely because of race. They also sometimes do this even though they're not even the same race as the culture (see: Chinese protesters shutting down a Japanese exhibition ORGANISED BY JAPAN at the Boston MFA). This is ACTUAL cultural appropriation.

Their constant bullshit about how Hollywood should cast any random chinaman asian into Japanese roles in films is considered far more racist than whitewashing by the rest of the world.
>>
>>15432847
As an asian and an american, you seem to be over-generalizing drastically different groups of asian americans as one thing.

Almost everything you said specifically lines up with San francisco asian-americans and whatever that organization is called there that pretty much spearheads any/all protests that come out. Their lineage spawned from the fusion of asian immigrants and the hippy subculture of the 70's.
And the "racism" you're mentioning, sounds specifically aimed towards another group of asian/asian americans that I guess I'll cover next. These guys like to think they represent all of us, they don't.

Then there's self-loathing asian immigrants that are so desperate to fit in that they buy into the whole anti-immigrant/pro-white thing, these are the ones the SanFran asian-americans detest.
Being raised in the south, my parents unfortunately are in this category. Hey, gotta do what you have to do to survive.

Then there's asian immigrants who don't attempt to emulate/be assimulated into american culture, but have zero issue enjoying the culture otherwise.
There's guys are usually very cool people. Seen/lived through worse, aren't swayed by "internal politics" if that means politics specific to within the US.

Next are non-first generation asian americans who were raised white, and just see traditional/conservative american life as the norm.
Typically made to feel like "uncle toms" by SanFran asian-americans. My early life falls in this category.

Lastly, non-first generation asian americans who grew up heavily influenced by both white/asian/etc cultures. These guys either end up SanFran-lite or indifferent to the bullshit protests. My teen years and on was in this category, so it makes up only some of the influence I've had.
Even this is a gross over-generalization/over-simplication.
>>
>>15432904
>Almost everything you said specifically lines up with San francisco asian-americans and whatever that organization is called there that pretty much spearheads any/all protests that come out. Their lineage spawned from the fusion of asian immigrants and the hippy subculture of the 70's.

Who the fuck cares where they're from, they're the only ones we see from the rest of the world because they're obnoxious cunts screaming all the time.

Maybe you should round them up and gas them.
>>
>>15433057
>Who the fuck cares where they're from
Because what you said is essentially 1:1 to saying all black-americans are drug-addicted career criminals. Except in this case, you're talking about an even smaller percentage, saying "who cares" is just as bad as the narrow-mindedness you're claiming on them, which is substantially narrow-viewed.
>they're the only ones we see from the rest of the world
That's like saying all blacks are rich rappers because that's "the only ones we see from the rest of the world".
Just ignore the click-bait articles, it's apparently informing your world-view.... wait, do they do "human interest" pieces on americans like we do with other countries... perhaps it's not your fault.
>>
>>15433099
>Just ignore the click-bait articles
This shit is on fucking CNN
>>
>>15407262
No...not really. Shirow's manga was light hearted yes but it also had many high sci fi themes. The guy was a huge fanatic for military hardware and futuristic science fiction. He wrote a manga where he could explore those ideas. But yes, Oshii's movie is vastly different in tone and presentation. The serial anime is a more faithful adaptation of the source material.
>>
>>15433105
yeah, CNN has been the same level of shit as clickbait for a long time
at least since Dead Baby Festival a few years back
>>
>>15422667
Wait, really?
>get the director of Snow White & the Huntsman to direct GitS
>get the director of mediocre or so I've heard Blair Witch remake to direct Death Note
How do either of these sound like good ideas to anyone? What the fuck are these execs on?
>>
>>15430224
Have you seen anything with Harrison Ford lately? With the exception of Star Wars, he's been phoning it in pretty heavily.
>>
>>15411236
your step dad is black
>>
File: SunQuan1.gif (93KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
SunQuan1.gif
93KB, 150x150px
>>15411257

>White Jews aren't White
>>
>>15422915

So someones going around asking Japs that live in Japan ,who btw have their own media that represents them , about colorism and racial disparities in Holly Weird
>>
>>15425461

Normal Japanese think anime is for children and grown up Otakus are geeks

Now return to your body pillow harem
>>
File: j2sz6abnw4rr3ka8.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
j2sz6abnw4rr3ka8.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>15428747
>In Oshii's films she doesn't look Asian

yes she does , does she have to be a big eyed loli so you cringey weabos can accept her as an asian character ?
>>
>>15436678
Funny how people forget that and think Anime is the most precious thing over there
fucking NEETs and otakus I tell ya
>>
>>15432861
>see: Chinese protesters shutting down a Japanese exhibition ORGANISED BY JAPAN at the Boston MFA
I feel like you're leaving something out. Like that the exhibition was of photos of the Nanjing Massacre edited to look like pin-ups for some post-modernist reason or something.

Usually when people want to downplay a protest they'll leave out something crucial like that to make it seem petty.
>>
>>15434437
Hollywood isn't colorblind so much as it's sometimes just straight-up blind.
>>
>>15439195

The guy you responded to seems to be a bigot with using racial slurs like "chinaman"
>>
>>15439195
https://hyperallergic.com/223047/the-confused-thinking-behind-the-kimono-protests-at-the-boston-museum-of-fine-arts/
>>
>>15439195
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2015/07/18/counter-protesters-join-kimono-fray-mfa/ZgVWiT3yIZSlQgxCghAOFM/story.html

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2015/08/04/commentary/japan-commentary/kimono-cultural-appropriation/
>>
>>15439322
retard
>>
>>15439769
>>15439770
Thanks for proving yourself wrong. Just because your racist ass thinks all non-japanese asians are chinese doesn't make it so. No one article you posted ever made the gross assumption you did that they were "chinese" protestors.
There are whites, etc protesting, and the most common thread is a women who looks indian.
Some of the "chinese" women seem to be viet or south asian, the only thing they have in common is being asian-american.
>>
File: image.jpg (572KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
572KB, 1280x1707px
>>15439769
>>15439770
>>
File: kimonowednesday_02.jpg (85KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
kimonowednesday_02.jpg
85KB, 960x640px
>>15439810
>>15439812
>>
>>15439810
and a ching chong ding dong ping pong to you too old chap
>>
>>15439812
>>15439827
Jesus christ, SJW really come in all sizes and colors.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 547x327px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 547x327px
>>15439827
Nice. I love when morons lose their own arguments. Nice selective pic showing 1 protestor, but wait a minute, that sign that's strategically cut off... looks exactly live this one.
>>
>>15439827
>dumb fuck tries to prove they were "chinese protesters" by posting pic
>still manages to post a white one
TOP KEK LMFAO
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 544x400px
>>15439769
>>15439770
These are people from the Mikado protests that still go on. Ironically, you posted an article by the Globe, they did a non-offensive version of the Mikado only a few months before this. But yeah, you're trying to drain all the context out of the situation to make your /pol/ argument.
>>
>>15436674
>white jews
>WHITE JEWS
Fuck off jews.
>>
>>15439831
When people on /m/ say SJWs do not exist, do they even take a look at reality?

WHO BITCH IS DIS?
>>
>>15439862
>When people on /m/ say SJWs do not exist
citation needed.
>>
>>15439883
You can search it on the archive.
>>
>>15439850
>>15439831
>>15439827
>>15439812
>>
File: tumblr_nubqsqpw6f1ucugvgo10_1280.jpg (450KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nubqsqpw6f1ucugvgo10_1280.jpg
450KB, 1280x960px
>>15440038
>>15439850
>>15439831
>>15439827
>>15439812
>>
>>15440038
>>15440039
Jesus christ, ugly people for ugly ideologies.
>>
File: IMG_0931.jpg (175KB, 1600x1133px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0931.jpg
175KB, 1600x1133px
>>15440046
>>15440039
>>15440038
>>15439892
>>15439883
>>15439862
>>15439850
>>15439835
>>15439831
>>15439830
>>15439828
>>15439827
https://pastebin.com/juZjb4fj
>>
>>15440046
https://web.archive.org/web/20150714032341/http://mfabostonyellowface.tumblr.com/
>>
>>15440081
retard
>>
>>15440092
Says the dumbfuck too stupid to read posts before replying to a random handful of them. Dumb bitch, your shit is so random nobody even knows what you're trying to say with pics you posted.
>>
>>15440097

He's the retard that got pwn'd hard over lying that the protesters were chinese. Ignore him.
>>
どんな偉大な監督でもやる気と理解が無ければ駄作のゴミ、日本や海外で嫌と言うほど見せられた、ゴミを見せられるなら、むしろ見たくないし作るなと怒鳴りつける、お前こそ何様だ、1流の遊びは散々見て来た、作れない癖に間違った事をデカイ口で言う奴は信じるとロクな物を作らない、ガンダムなんかその見本みたいな物だ自社製品もマトモに作れないんだぞ、駐車場に停めた車ぐらい馬鹿でも壊せる
>>
>>15440109
>>15440097
wow
>>
>>15440097
>>15440109
see
>>15440112
>>
File: 1492301710030.png (224KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1492301710030.png
224KB, 500x340px
>>15440109
>>
>>15411090
this

It maybe pretty but the story is just mediocre hollywood scifi action. Same old same old.
>>
>>15428685
She looked like an anime character to me.
>>
>White people tell actual Asian he's being racist for not shitting on what they tell him to shit on.

This thread has gone places.
>>
>>15434437
These people know people and have reputations for doing what studios want.

Once you realise that is what decides your career in Hollywood, it all makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>15440054
So, this is interesting. At first I thought it was off-topic, but it's right at the confluence of many of the same issues as GitS is. You have an American institution trying to capitalize on a foreign cultural property; Japanese enablers who aren't concerned about the trivial American brouhaha because they have a specific thing they want to broadcast to the world, and as long as that gets over intact, they don't care about how the context is warped; and an American grassroots protest that is unconcerned with or unaware of the Japanese position, who are themselves largely concerned with the tokenization that the specific form the project takes.

Phew.

But it's also weird because I think the protestors are right in the case of GitS but wrong when it comes to the kimono thing. I think the difference is the power balance in terms of who's behind each individual thing. With GitS, it's very clearly an American-led project that should be putting American sentiment at the forefront; whereas the art exhibition hinges on the Japanese contribution and their goals with helping to put it on.

The issue of appropriation is more nuanced than people give it credit for though. And it also involves the aforementioned power balances, which both sides often don't agree on the nature of.
>>
>>15440802
All the fuss about cultural appropriation is just an attempt to force society to adhere to social democratic behavioural norms and belief systems and rejecting attempts to move cultural diversity out of their realm of control, in addition to always keeping tension and distrust amongst the various parts of a diverse society to exploit.
>>
>>15440802
appropriation salt is for racist faggots who think only one people can use elements of a culture
everybody's culture is everybody's and neosegregationists should just fucking die already
>>
Guess they'll be ALL LAUGHIN in the movie theater, the 50 or so of them.
>>
>>15440802

>a foreign cultural property

Which in turn is a shameless capitalization on cyberpunk stuff coined by the West earlier.
>>
>>15440817
Your post is what I mean by
>And it also involves the aforementioned power balances, which both sides often don't agree on the nature of.
The people who have an issue with appopriation would say that they're the ones fighting a larger and more powerful structure. Which is true in a lot of cases. When N'Sync takes a formula that black groups have been using for years and makes bank because they're more palatable to the American mainstream (not just the audience, but also the promoters who hype them), that goes against the ideas of a meritocratic market and that you can make it big if you just execute on a good idea. And if you go and read about them, the groups they based their act on are erased from the history. So they don't get money or credit.

Or you have the case of people dressing up as Indians at concerts while ignoring the social issues they face. It's not really reasonable to expect people to be okay with being ignored unless they have something worth taking.
>>
>>15441058
If you ignore that cyberpunk was an extrapolation of the social and technological circumstances taking place not only in America, but also in... Japan.
>>
>>15441097
From an American perspective.
>>
File: K8e1Eo0.gif (904KB, 340x257px) Image search: [Google]
K8e1Eo0.gif
904KB, 340x257px
>>15439780
>retard

do you poke fun at the mentally disabled as well ?
>>
>>15439857

And Netanyahu stays winning
>>
What are you whites arguing about ?
>>
>>15441158
Whether or not chinks and injuns are being faggot retards when some cyberpunk dresses up in a wrestling mask I think
>>
File: David-Hasselhoff-as-Nick-Fury.jpg (79KB, 790x467px) Image search: [Google]
David-Hasselhoff-as-Nick-Fury.jpg
79KB, 790x467px
>>15427719
Are you just going to leave out David Hasselhoff?
>>
>>15441113
Of actual developments in Japan. And based in part on earlier Japanese fiction, actually.
>>
>>15441267
I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>15407356
>From what everyone is always telling me
How about seeing it for yourself?
>>
Just saw.

The jew is literally the worst part of the movie.

All the life and interest in the movie is sucked out when she is the focus.
>>
>>15408669
but they spent all that money on special F/X
>>
>>15442329
definitely not on most of the "future guns" the prop department made.

Jesus

Shirow draws such beautiful future guns.

or they could have just used uncommon modern guns. SAR21, FN F2000, Styer M-A1, etc
>>
here is what I would have done, if I was producer.

>cast rinko as the major
>anyone else, excepting batou, that wasn't asian, gets replaced by an asian actor from 47 ronin or last samurai.
>direct faithful adaptation of the manga story, Dumb Barter.
>prologe is the scene where you see the major in dress uniform, in her boyfriend's apartment, and gets attacked.
>roll opening credits and during this we see the major's body being repaired. While this is happening we can see her thoughts and its is sort of a introductory highlight reel of who the major is.
>sprinkle some puppet master, laughing man, or kuze easter eggs through out the movie. to set up story for any sequels.

this is a nice way to ease normies into GitS. Dumb Barter is not a "muh philosphy" story. Just Section 9 being goofy and violent against some Narcos and narcotics police.
>>
>>15442357
Rinko can't even speak english all that well, plus she has no box office draw, even Japan hates her for some reason. Probably because she married some 19 year old kid who's half her age.
>>
>>15442375
japan doesn't like Rinko because she doesn't participate in the exploitative media idol culture of japan, and they feel like she cheats her way to stardom by doing foreign films.

Beat Takeshi spoke Japanese the entire movie with subs. I am sure we can put up with Rinko's english. even if she has to memorize her lines phonetically.
>>
File: Lockon_with_gun.jpg (128KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Lockon_with_gun.jpg
128KB, 640x360px
>>15442349
I loved Gundam 00's future guns. I wanna see more of those.
>>
>>15442357
I would cast an Asian-American dancer. Someone who knows how to move and contort her body in interesting but controlled ways, so you get the feeling of inhuman grace punctuated with robotic pauses as she segues between movement macros. Actually, cast Johansson too, except that body is an infiltration unit that dies 30 minutes in. Bam, a twist that also drives home the "ghost in the shell" bit.
>>
>>15442645
that and the scarjew movie major, misses the point of the Major.

yes, her body is bleeding edge state of the art and super human. yet she can still be overpowered by large male cyborgs and androids, because her body is too small to be strong. the major's real strength lays in her human mind and how she can hack and think through problems instead of brute force.
>>
>>15440802
The whole cultural appropriation thing is kind of disturbing in general. I mean, there's a certain point where use of cultural elements can be disrespectful, but it honestly scares me to see these people who apparently believe that every culture should be locked in a box that only native members of said culture are allowed to access - and they genuinely believe that their attitude isn't racist; that they're somehow encouraging racial tolerance.
>>
>>15441181

why are you so triggered ? the movie was awful anyways , white washing was the least of it's problems
>>
>>15404980
anime/video games to movies is always going to be bad
>>
File: Gundamep20c.jpg (65KB, 888x662px) Image search: [Google]
Gundamep20c.jpg
65KB, 888x662px
>>15442611

Ramba Ral's unit would kill this faggot
>>
>>15442955

manga to real life adaptions will always be superior , but the average 4 chan weabo has shit taste in cinema anyways
>>
File: love of my life.jpg (72KB, 507x737px) Image search: [Google]
love of my life.jpg
72KB, 507x737px
>>15404980
Good. I'd hope for GUNNM not happening either, but we can't have the nice things all the time.
>>
>>15442955
edge of tomorrow

street fighter(mmm cheese)
>>
>>15442955
Silent hill was alright.
>>
File: 110811_phoenixwright.jpg (55KB, 602x375px) Image search: [Google]
110811_phoenixwright.jpg
55KB, 602x375px
>>15442955

I call your pleb ass to the stand
>>
>>15443101
Unrelated to adaptations, Zebraman was excellent.
>>
>>15442938
You're misinterpreting the situation. It's not that no one should borrow ideas, it's that no one should rip off ideas for personal gain while shamelessly fucking over the people who are being ripped off. You notice that black people don't give a shit about Asian hip-hop; the way they borrow ideas doesn't hurt black people. You notice that black people MOSTLY don't give a shit about Eminem; he respected the existing structure and then added to it. But Iggy Azalea and (to a degree, before he bowed out) Vanilla Ice basically just copied what black people were doing, and the industry promoted them because white faces sell better to a racist consumer base. And then Iggy says some pretty racist shit on top of that. That's appropriation; that's what pisses people off.

Hell, there's some controversy occasionally when black artists use tokenized Asian elements in their work, because black people have proportionately greater exposure and power in the entertainment industry. In those cases, it feels like it could be appropriation because 1) they're not consulting with actual Asians/Asian-Americans, 2) they're doing it for personal gain, and 3) the way they do it might help solidify harmfuk stereotypes. And all this even though the people who are doing it aren't white.

I guess the whole point is to consider the context and effects of what you're doing instead of just seeing money signs. It's really easy if you don't have a warped sense of the social/historical circumstances of certain groups or regions, and really hard if you do.
>>
>>15444094
Vanilla Ice pissed people off because he sucked ass, dummy
>>
>>15404980
It was a remake of a cult classic in a time when remakes of cult classics are all shit, as far as the average cinema-goer is concerned, it was always going to flop, .
>>
>>15404980
They are already doing death note.
>>
>>15444322
>People can't be angry at things for more than one reason
>>
>>15444347
If they actually did a remake instead of an adaption, that would've been better.
They should've open up the scope of the adaption to the whole franchise desu.
>>
>>15444446
Why the fuck did desu get corrected to desu...
Anyway, the film needed tachikomas.
>>
>>15444450
Did not realize there was a filter for the abbrv for "to be honest".
>>
>>15444454
first day here, eh?
>>
>>15444455
I've seen the filtered term in posts before, dude.
It's not like the wapanese filter that's famous, though I don't know if it's because I saw the filtered word on another board.
>>
>>15444094
I think you're just taking it too seriously and framing it in the usual context of 'But we just want to be niiiiiiiiiice.'
>>
>>15444615
Did you enjoy your ban? Keep it on topic, or go to /pol/ and make your own thread.
>>
>>15444614
>I think you're just taking it too seriously and framing it in the usual context of 'But we just want to be niiiiiiiiiice.'
That's a defense mechanism. I'm not.
>>
>>15445465
A defense against what?
>>
>>15443107

Yatterman was enjoyable
>>
>>15445837
Saw Zebraman, but not Yatterman. Which is weird cuz I like Miike, odd that I watched one but not the other.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.