[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4 m7bX9NfM So it's a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4m7bX9NfM

So it's actually happening. They dropped a date.

August 2017
>>
>>15401668
inb4 its delayed.
>>
>>15401668
This was originally announced over 5 years ago. Why have they taken so long?
>>
>>15401683
>over 5
I thought it was 2014.
>>
>>15401686
It's been so long Idk anymore
I know for a fact it was supposed to have been done already
>>
File: images_1.png (10KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images_1.png
10KB, 205x246px
>>15401683
>tfw 1989 was 400 years ago
>>
>>15401668
N O T R E A L I S D I C K
>>
>>15401683
America needs the time to catch up.

Also to build up hype so that they can do a kickstarter, start a youtube channel, and make merch for $$$
>>
>>15401848
American robot is a piece of junk.
>>
>tfw your multi-billion dollar mech gets taken out by a goat farmer with an AK-47
>>
>>15401875
>Mutli billion dollar mech get taken out by janitor extreme waxing.
>>
>>15401881
>multi trillion dolar mech get taken out by its own hideous control system complexity

seriously have you seen the backwards idiotic control setting for their mech?!
they cant even get to play mechwarrior
>>
>>15401899
Compare that to this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZ0WuNvHr8
>>
>>15401908
i know , right?
now check their shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB5P72CjGt8
>>
>>15401668
What's with the nationalistic angle? This is way more cringe than the silly national gundam designs in G Gundam
>>
>>15401899
They can't even aim melee weapons.
>>
>>15402159
We all know G Gundam is a cartoon featuring martial arts robot Olympics, the designs are silly to the point you really shouldn't take them seriously. You see a wind mill with a gundam head you just laugh at it.

Megabot however is not a work of fiction, they are real and take themselves very seriously. Mix that with the over the top, parody-like presentation, this is when the laughter stops.
>mfw when they announced they will accept the challenge of melee combat, they were literally posing with katanas, THE Japanese melee weapon, while going full 'MURICA with shades and flag capes and stuff
>>
>>15401668
Is it just me or did that saw get really close to that guys leg at 0:31?
>>
>>15401683
>>15401686
>Jun 30, 2015
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

More than the "one year from now" timeline that they laid out originally, but come on. That took like one second to check.
>>
>>15402393
That's a dummy. It's from the video where they were testing their weapons against a mockup Kuratas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVxNSu6DoKY&t=1m
>>
>>15401668
PREPARE TO BE UNDERWHELMED.
>>
>>15401668
Delayed
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12687719
>>
>>15402990
My expectations are low enough already. I just want to be whelmed.
>>
>>15401668
Holy shit those guys are cocksuckers. The delay and the obnoxious bullshit from Megabots has almost completely killed my interest in this. Just have a fight between two Kuratases instead.
>>
>>15404225
My question is what they have even been doing on the Suidobashi side of things.
>>
Reminder that if you are an American that supports Megabots, you are an enemy of justice. This is not a case of nation vs. nation, it is the human spirit against deceitful enemies. Kuratas fights for mankind. I wouldn't be surprised if the Megabots clowns are dinosaurs or Jovians or something. In fact:

>Megabots
>Mega
>Meganoid

Wait till their next video where they'll leave the camera on too long and Don Zauther will walk into frame.
>>
>>15404241
I appreciate the warning, but how are you posting across time, Banjo?
>>
File: 68 (Portrait).png (59KB, 696x544px) Image search: [Google]
68 (Portrait).png
59KB, 696x544px
>>15404241
Banjo posting on /m/ is a new one.
>>
>>15404241
>Partially Crowdfunded by American citizens
>Supported by NASA, H&H, Autodesk, Battlebots, and Mythbusters
>Backed by corporate sponsors
>Built by a diverse team with a dream

Megabot is made of condensed AMERICAN SPIRIT.
>>
>>15404284
>Backed by corporate sponsors
Sounds pretty evil there.
>>
>>15404228
they must have been folding an I beam 36789 time on itself in order to forge a nihon pride blade for kuratas to use in CQC
>>
>>15404228
>>15404418
Wasn't there some video of them testing out what looked like a bootleg plasma caster?
>>
File: votoms Sunsa battle.webm (3MB, 716x480px) Image search: [Google]
votoms Sunsa battle.webm
3MB, 716x480px
>>15401908
They're just going to replace the toy weapons with conventional weapons aren't they.
>>
any updates on Kuratas modifications?
>>
>>15404284
This statement reeks of evil. Only brainwashed americans fail to see this
>>
>>15402990
The only thing I ever wanted out of this match was a pile bunker, but I knew that wasn't going to happen from the get-go.

I swear the original Kuratas was made to promote something. I mean as in it was a fake product.
Because even though it's on sale, there has never been a single word about anyone purchasing one, much less riding it around, outside of the promotional events.
>>
>>15404388
Doesn't discount the fact that it's very American.
>>
File: 1484033084687.jpg (281KB, 1000x611px) Image search: [Google]
1484033084687.jpg
281KB, 1000x611px
>>15404468
>>
>>15404481
I do not understand the implications behind this image.
>>
>>15404503
what is there to understand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKhqPwbxCg
>>
>>15404512
The Kuratas team better blast something as good as this when the combat begins
>>
File: poordaryl.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
poordaryl.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
The /m/ dream is finally happening, and all we can do is be disappointed...

maybe it'll be successful and other countries will follow?
>>
>>15404440
kuratas or megabots?
megabots mostly seem to be foresting equipment, kuratas i haven seen anything new since ever
>>
>>15404598
It was some Japanese company. It probably wasn't associated with Kuratas, but I could hope.
>>
>>15404598
>inb4 it's 1:1 gundam now
>>
>no ones developing a railgun/coilgun for it
>>
>>15404612
Wasn't it melee only?
Which would be a problem for the Kuratas given its legs stretch out in front of its arms, limiting its range of attack.
>>
File: image.png (290KB, 820x1518px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
290KB, 820x1518px
>>15404852
>limiting its range of attack
>Implying it won't have a glorious nippon steel sword to give it more reach than Megabutt MK III
>>
>>15404894
>When the Kuratas is revealed, it's shown to have been converted into a single giant arm on wheels, wielding an oversized Katana.
>>
File: lupin2.png (87KB, 300x259px) Image search: [Google]
lupin2.png
87KB, 300x259px
>>15401683
get bandai involved
>>
>Giant Robot Duel

More like

>Moderately sized Japanese mecha VS Barely articulated American tank that has no business calling itself a robot
>>
>>15402138
To be fair it was an early test of their control system working off of a game that's going to be nothing like the actual robot fight. That being said was their any reason they had to build it to require 2 pilots?
>>
>>15401859
don't be unpatriotic mate.
>>
>>15405193
so goose can die and promp maverick to clean up his act and be a teamplayer?
>>
>>15402359
There is no American melee weapon, outside of maybe a bat, it's all guns or tanks.
>>
>kuratas has precise articulated arms with low weight threshold that's essentially a pretty segway
>megabot is an upright tank with thick arms carrying death
>>
>>15405589
>bring a tank to a mech fight when people expected mech fights
the tank would probably win but not many would cheer for it.
>>
>>15405589
>implying superior dex isn't a thing
>>
they dont even walk its just oddly shaped cars and tractors at this point

the american one looks fucking garbage though so i guess japan should win
>>
>>15405726
>"But ten little cuts-"
>"All I need is one to cut you in half."
>>
Dex vs Str finally some answers.
>>
I still think Team Trump is going to win.
>>
File: brian-cage-wrestling.jpg (162KB, 1431x996px) Image search: [Google]
brian-cage-wrestling.jpg
162KB, 1431x996px
>>15405754
I would be okay with them adding them in as a third team.
>>
>>15405763
Oh, I forgot he was involved in wrestling. Just called Americans "Team Trump".
>>
>>15405747
Try to catch him if you can.
>>
>>15405193
Because the Mk. 1's controls were so shit that they were literally opening and closing hydraulic vales in the cockpit, so it was too complex for one person to control. Since the first public showings had the driver/gunner setup, they've just kept it ever since.
>>
>>15405807
Considering how Kuratas run on 4 wide-based stilts, Megabot just needs to clip one leg with a low swing, then go in for the kill.
>>
>>15402159
>cringe
Fuck off back to le reddit.
>>
>>15405575
How about a cavalry sabre? That's pretty American.
>>
>>15405909
>Megabot just needs to clip one leg with a low swing
You're assuming megabot has anywhere near the articulation or maneuverability to do such a thing. If it ever happened, it would be accidental.
>>
>>15405193
>was their any reason they had to build it to require 2 pilots?

Because it's a fucking tank.
>>
>>15401668
I think Megabots will slaughter Kuratas

The thing is practically a tank, and while the Kuratas is neat, it is just too fragile for this world
>>
>>15405237
It not unpatriotic,that is an Obama robot clearly not the greatest an American robot can be. We need a MAGA robot to show those nips thier place
>>
I want America to win simply because
>Japan wins, America gives up forever
>America wins, Japan is more heated up to surpass them and America will have to protect its ego on a regular basis
>>
>>15406112
>Japan wins, America reminds them who won WW2
>America wins, Japan gets reminded who won WW2
fixed that for ya
I am not even joking, the general reaction of the average joe toward something like this is gonna be so fucking embarrasing no matter the results.
>>
>>15404228
The guy in charge said something like "You may have Western Kickstarter funding but we have pure Japanese engineering spirit" IIRC
>>
>>15404569
Considering how both robots reflect their countries' respective mech designs (Kuratas being stylish and mobile and Megabot being bulky and covered with ammunition), I wonder how other countries would design their robot?
>>
File: kuratas.jpg (97KB, 890x501px) Image search: [Google]
kuratas.jpg
97KB, 890x501px
>Who does this blue Earth belong to?
>This world is for all of us!
>He is the machine that defends our peace
>Stand up! KURATAS!

>No matter how strong or how many
>Demons will not take our world
>He will crush everything with just your smile
>Shoot them down! TWIN GATLING!

>Don't let them take our love
>Believe in him, our invincible robot
>His engine beats with all our hearts!
>STRONGEST STEEL MAN KURATAS
>>
File: 0002608.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0002608.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>Kuratas cannot defeat The Megabot
>Its armor is too thick
>its weaponry too devastating
>In desperation, Kuratas switches to its untested alt mode
ridersintheskies.mp3
>>
>>15406077
Megabot is literally just riced out construction equipment. Calling it a tank is being generous.

As for slaughtering Kuratas, how fragile the machines are will not be a major factor in the "fight". The contest is probably just going to be a bunch of simple challenges and shooting at dummy targets. Both sides put too much money into their project to want to see it seriously damaged not to mention mai pilot safety.
>>
The fight's going to be this in a nutshell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS1zh45Fts
>>
>>15406983
Kek.
>>
Assuming it's an actual fight, which is doubtful, it'll be 2-6 miles per hour movement bots taking turns smashing the other one while its pneumatic/hydraulic systems get enough pressure to counter the attack.

The Kuratas we know about move 4 mph faster than Megabot, however, Megabot boasts a significant height and weight advantage over the standard Kurata. There is likely no way for the Kurata to topple the heavier tank tread supported Megabot.

Of course, we don't know what changes have been made, but MK.3 can crush a car while Kuratas are airsoft toys for rich people. So it's very likely it's as >>15406945 said
>>
File: ぼとむず by アガハリ.jpg (283KB, 700x908px) Image search: [Google]
ぼとむず by アガハリ.jpg
283KB, 700x908px
>>15406682
It's alt mode is just the cockpit opening, revealing the pilot to be Chirico, who promptly shoots the Megabot pilot.
>>
>>15406159
Germany enters a gigantic brick-shaped thing, eight by six by ten meters in size. Its surface is featureless save for the thin gaps separating its silvery-gray armor plates, little more than hairline cracks from this distance, and the name "Maschinenmensch Siebzehn" stenciled on the glacis in clean, readable lettering.
You hear the distinctive clinking of track plates against the hard road surface, but its ground clearance is so low that they are not visible beneath the enormous schürzen that flank both sides of the machine.
The engine runs astoundingly quiet, a purr next to the deliberately fierce roar of Megabot's propulsion. As it approaches, however, its rumbling reverberates past your eardrums and permeates your whole body, and you stand now in awe of its terrifying power, of a presence which is not seen or heard, but *felt*.
It comes smoothly to a halt, and the referee looks concerned for a moment. "Herr Lehman, are you sure this is--", he starts.
The operator throws one of the toggles on his control panel, and one of the metallic panels swings open on magnetic hinges.
The assembly that emerges from within resembles a half-size Flakzielgerät with a massive steel fist where the warhead ought to be.
The hand goes limp for a moment with the tell-tale slackening of a man-amplifier switching to 1:1 mode, then reconfigures into a thumbs-up, and the referee nods in understanding and approval.
>>
>>15407890
An indistinct shape streaks across the clouds above. Its shape is roughly humanoid, suggesting an arriving contestant, but you have a hard time discerning it from the clouds thanks to its blue-on-white color scheme. You have barely a moment to speculate on who it might be before the realization - and the double sonic boom - hits you. The Israeli team has arrived.
Their transportation of choice, an APC which you are certain is not available for civilian use, rolls onto the field and parks alongside the other teams. The robot's pit crew disembarks in an orderly fashion and assumes stances that look oddly like standing at attention. The robot engages its airbrakes and skillfully pulls into a dive like a Levant sparrowhawk. It descends gracefully onto its perch atop the APC, buffeting its ground crew with the wash from its leg turbines, but they remain unfazed.
You take a moment to admire the designers' aesthetic sense: the robot's proportions and silhouette just scream "Armored Module", and the Sidewinder missiles along its shoulder-wings evoke memories of...
Yeah, it's just an F-15 with a mostly cosmetic robot body attached to it. You discreetly call security, because you have a suspicion that the missiles aren't just for show.
>>
>>15407892
The UK team arrives not in a flatbed truck or crawler-transporter as the other teams did, but in a bright blue Mini Hatch (right-hand drive). They pull up right in front of the viewing area, interposing themselves between the onlookers and the growing lineup of battle machines, and pretend not to have noticed.
The two middle-aged women in the front seats disembark, paying their peers no mind as they continue the murmured conversation that they were already having, raising their volume to "outside voice" only to erupt in occasional fits of raucous laughter.
They are followed by their pit crew, three rather handsome young men in gray coveralls, who open the trunk and retrieve a sealed cardboard box from within. They carry it to the central viewing platform upon their shoulders, with the rehearsed reverence deserved by an emperor's palanquin, lay it gently upon the ground in front of their bemused audience, and bow out.
After a moment of silence just long enough for everyone to start looking at one another in confusion, the box suddenly begins to bend and buckle with the force of something inside trying to escape. Just as the Canadian operator extends her hand in assistance, the packaging tape sealing the box bursts open and the thing trapped inside emerges.
He is a man in a turquoise shell suit, and he turns to "look" at the audience, his head covered by the head of a Dalek costume, through which he cannot see. A large sticker, not unlike a marathon runner's name tag, is affixed to his chest, reading: "MECHY McMECHFACE".
A car door slams, and your eyes snap back to the Mini. It drives off into the sunset, front passenger flipping the bird as the security drones give chase.
>>
>>15407893
Once he's sure they're out of visual range, the Australian operator turns to his chief engineer with a wink.
He pulls a lever on the wall behind him, and the vertical hangar doors open to admit the Australian robot, a repainted Megabot Mk II.
He then offers a beer to Matt Oehrlein, who accepts it with a high-five, and all the European Union teams give a wry chuckle.

The laughter abruptly stops, however, when a colossal steel likeness of Vladimir Putin hurtles down from the upper atmosphere, right leg extended in its best Rider Kick impression, striking the Crimean marshaling area with a deadly impact that shatters robot and crew alike.
>>
>>15406945
> The contest is probably just going to be a bunch of simple challenges and shooting at dummy targets. Both sides put too much money into their project to want to see it seriously damaged not to mention mai pilot safety.

People keep saying this, but it can't be what MegaBot is pushing for. The robot isn't the product that they're trying to sell, the fight is. They've said from the very beginning that they wanted to start a league and sell tickets to the fights. If there's no fight then their company is fucking done as they have no product to sell. They need this to be a fight, not another staged demonstration. They've reached the end of the fundraising rope from staged demonstrations. Even if the fight is staged as fuck, they has to be a fight for MegaBots to even keep operating as a company and they have to know that.

>>15406983
Why did the big guy even bother chasing him around the ring? Is not allowed to just stand (or even lean against the ropes) in the corner and wait for the other guy to come to him?
>>
>>15407921
>>15407893
>>15407892
>>15407890
I'd watch this if this was made into a live action show. Nice writing by the way.

>The operator throws one of the toggles on his control panel, and one of the metallic panels swings open on magnetic hinges.

I really like the way this sentence is structured. The symmetry and cause and effect is so deliciously simple and immediate.
>>
>>15407941
>Why did the big guy even bother chasing him around the ring?

Sportsmanship, maybe? I don't know much about sports, but I think you have to be actively trying to engage during a fight.
>>
>>15407941
There's literally no other way to do it without risking harm to the robots and the pilots. Nobody actually wants to see their multi-million dollar investment destroyed completely and nobody wants to send anyone to the hospital.
>>
>>15408668
You say that, and yet NASCAR exists.

I'm not saying the fight will be real. It will probably be more WWE than MMA, but if it's literally just another stage show where all they do is roll both robots out onto the floor and have them shoot at targets then MegaBots is dead as a company and there's nothing left for them to do except apologize to their investors and start looking for new jobs.
>>
>>15408687
The object of a NASCAR race isn't to wreck the other cars though. It's just something that can happen. Stuff like demolition derby exists, but those are junk cars.
>>
Why don't we get any additional info from Suidobashi about their improvements?
Actually, if Megabot uses dangerous chainsaw, why don't Suidobashi introduce some kind of a projectile weapon with proper projectiles? A couple of HE rockets can damage the tracks and american team is done
>>15406652
10/10
>>
>>15408696
first of all, Suidobashi were the ones who asked for melee only. Why the hell would they "introduce some kind of a projectile weapon with proper projectiles"? Fucking rockets? m8 this ain't no video game just some public competition, people die when they are killed.
>>
File: RobotCombatLeaguesparks.jpg (114KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
RobotCombatLeaguesparks.jpg
114KB, 600x400px
>>15408690
NASCAR destroys cars pretty quickly even without crashes, just the wear on them requires the whole car to be replaced regularly. That's just the cost of doing business to them.

If they do actually fight I think it'll be close to what Robot Combat League did, where most of the damage was actually superficial and the sparks and smoke were actually special effects. Some of the robots did take real damage in that show, but it was pretty clear that the parts that were exposed were standard, easily-replaced industrial equipment. All of the stuff that would have actually been expensive to replace was pretty well protected, I would guess to the point that they had at least some insurance on the important parts of the robots. This is actually pretty close to what MegaBots was talking about doing originally, with the robot's weapons being loaded with painballs and the "damage" being impact-triggered effects. Team Kuratas asked for melee, but right now there's no real proof either way if that response was staged in coordination with MegaBots or not.

I think this fight will be even more staged than those were, likely the point where it will be pre-choreographed like a wrestling match. None of the hits will be real, they'll just be triggering special effects build into the robots' "armor" shooting sparks and smoke, eventually ending in a dramatic tie. That's still underwhelming, but I think it's the minimum that MegaBots can deliver and still have a prayer of doing anything else ever again.
>>
>>15408708
>not risking their lives for the sake of a real robo fight
Guess they're not going to gundam valhalla then.
>>
>>15408708
>Suidobashi were the ones who asked for melee only.
Suckers.
> Fucking rockets?
You don't fight roaches with toothpicks. You fight roaches with poison.

Are there any other options? Like 12,7 mm rifle to damage vital details? Damn, that's a boring world we live in.
>>
>people want to see them use guns and despise the idea of melee
I don't think two turrets shooting each other is gonna be very fun to watch
>people want to see them use actual destructive weapons to destroy each other
I do think that might be fun to watch but it's unlikely from a moral stand point because the nature of this event isn't some kind of drill but a show, a death match with casualties and loss of equipment is probably not what neither side signed up for.
>>
File: 1412095793232.jpg (24KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1412095793232.jpg
24KB, 720x480px
>>15408798
>I don't think two turrets shooting each other is gonna be very fun to watch
Mobile turrets, man.
>but it's unlikely from a moral stand point
>>
They should just cover the cockpits of each mech in thick armor and then give them pile bunkers to fight with until one machine just stops being able to fight, or for ranged combat give them .50 cal machine guns that'll destroy the less armored bits while not penetrating the armored cockpits.
>>
>>15408305
That's what happens when you spend 6 hours a day reading schlocky sci-fi novels
>>
>>15408890
>>15408305
Stop replying to yourself, Michael Stackpole.
>>
I really want this to be good but it'll probably be two oversized tin cans ramming against each other
I can see them just getting stuck together and the match being paused to separate the two robots
>>
File: (you).png (440KB, 1768x942px) Image search: [Google]
(you).png
440KB, 1768x942px
>>15408890
Praytell, what are these sci-fi schlock of which you speak? Any recommendations? Anything that heavily feature mecha, or even piloted vehicles?

>>15408896
Here's your (You)
>>
>>15408696
>Why don't we get any additional info from Suidobashi about their improvements?
Probably because they prefer to just focus on their work as opposed to wasting some time making some videos and posting updates?

That said, Suidabashi asking for melee-only probably was a handicap on their part and to allow them to actually do some new shit.
Kuratas already has a targetting system that can track moving targets, that's already more than what Megabot has in the beginning. Making the Kuratas capable of melee would have been quite the challenge for them anyway and a melee fight is more entertaining, so why the fuck not?
>>
>>15402159
white people and their shitposting
>>
I love these threads for the overly-trusting nerds who believe in the statements of salesmen and their heavily edited videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo
>>
>>15406652
SAVED
>>
>The fights ends in a draw
>>
>>15401908
>Just a button to open the cockpit
>No locks anywhere
Have they never seen Gundam?
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
>>15412842
>>
>>15412872
Man this fight would be super entertaining if it turned into some Stardust Memories shit.
>Us team decides to make a nuke launcher just in case they Japs bring out something crazy
>Japs hear about it through leeks
>Send a test pilot over to steal it so they can use it against the Us team
>>
>>15401668
Why are we not comparing this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_lvEWFwjg) against those two? I personally think that, after a few tweaks here and there, it would wreck both of them.
>>
>>15412892
this how WWII starts
>>
>>15412940
>shoot the legs, it's donezo
>shoot the arms, it's donezo
>shoot the cockpit, it's donezo
>also you just lost $8 million in a boring giant robot fight

That thing is too fragile for any sort of combat.
>>
>>15412989
>That thing is too fragile for any sort of combat.

Same goes for previous contestants. They are not built for battle but for testing concepts of actually making a functional mech if I'm right. Besides, carbon nanotubes as an armor would do well enough probably.
>>
>>15413014
Yeah, but respectfully, this one is also way more complex than the other two. The arms and legs would have to go regardless, and at that point it's basically just going to be the megabot once you attach new stuff to it. The only thing that could be interesting is having the more industrial limbs still be controlled by their neat limb tracking system.
>>
>>15413014
From a military perspective a mech offers absolutely no advantages over a tracked vehicle or infantry.
>>
>>15413046
People thought of tanks in the same way in the past.
>>
>>15412940
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_lvEWFwjg
>the thumbnail is fake CG shit to bait views
how to make people hate you and your robot in one easy step.html
>>
>>15413058
people thought of many other things in the same way in the past and it turned out they were right most of the time. Anyone using this argument to support "muh practical battle mecha" should just give up arguing anything ever.
>>
>>15413058
Yeah no. Only in a few isolated incidents such as officers like Semyon Budyonny, otherwise the various military powers immediately saw the potential of a tracked armored vehicle that could carry a howitzer.
>>
File: le'ts go boys.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
le'ts go boys.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
>>15401668
FINALLY

WE'RE GOING TO GET A REAL MECH FIGHT.
>>
>>15413088
>"muh practical battle mecha"

-Cramped cockpit only large enough to seat one pilot, even a bit smaller than Kuratas

-Cockpit is armored similar to an MBT using lightweight, modern composite armor, but drastically more lightweight than an MBT due to being such a small object

-Under the cockpit is a short stomach/hips section with lighter armor comparable to infantry fighting vehicles, this section has a 360 degree rotating joint, allowing the top to move independently from the hips and legs.

-On the hips are two thick legs with hip, knee, and ankle joints, armored similarly to the stomach/hips, but with the option to mount spaced armor around the thighs.

-In the lower portion of each leg there is a large, electrically powered wheel, as well as a single electrically powered wheel in the rear of the hip section, the ankle joint allows the feet to move out of the way so the wheels can be used while upright on stable surfaces for greater speed, similar to that new Boston Dynamics robutt, or the mech can sit down to use the third wheel and effectively take the form of a traditional vehicle

-Back to the torso, on each side of the cockpit, in the "shoulder" area, there's a small turret and camera setup similar in design to the Raytheon 'Battleguard', able to mount up to four weapons, including machine guns, autocannons, grenade launchers, and anti-tank missile launchers.

-underneath those are long, spindly arms made of artificial muscle, modeled after human arms, they reach down to around the machine's ankles, making manipulating objects on the ground effortless, each hand has fingers about as big around as a very large human thumb, but compensates for how thin the fingers are by having extra digits, this allows the arms to use human objects(I.E. It can pick up any gun and use it) without sacrificing too much strength thanks to the extra digits. The arms are either left unarmored or have Kevlar strapped to them.

-Mech is 14 feet tall

Would it be useful?
>>
>>15414103
oh boy here we go again
The general idea is that with the current known tech one could probably be built with enough funds thrown at it, yes.
Would it do a better job compared to whatever vehicles we are already using while being cost effective? Doubt it. At the moment there aren't enough factors to make them preferable.
>>
>>15414103
>>15414152

Didn't get to mention due to character limit:
-Entire thing is covered in reactive armor tiles because they weigh very little while providing amazing protection from shaped charges, on top of the spaced armor they'll make the legs nigh invurnurable to missiles

-Has smoke grenade dischargers

-Has similar launchers loaded with small fragmentation grenades that can be used against infantry or to attempt to detonate missiles early, similarly to the active protection systems on many tanks

-Joints are covered in fabrics or a rubber sort of material to keep dirt, moisture, and any other undesirable shit out.

-Legs and upright stance give the advantage over Conventional vehicles of allowing it to move through spaces too thin for most vehicles, such as dense urban environments, forests, and jungles, as well as being much better at dealing with uneven, rough terrain, such as the mountains normal vehicles have to avoid, if it needs to move quicker, have a lower silhouette, or use larger weapons, it converts to low stance and moves on the wheels.

-Arms give the advantage of being able to do any heavy lifting work necessary, carry wounded soldiers/civilians.
-Arms allow it to carry large but thin shields than grant it space armor covering large portions of it's body, or can be place on the ground to cover infantry
-Arms allow it to change weaponry on it's turrets very quickly and effortlessly to suit the situation, or take handheld/vehicle mounted weapons with triggers and use them in hand.
-Arms and general humanoid structure allow it to better camouflage itself in defensive positions by conforming it's body to be as flat to the terrain as possible, and using the arms to pull a sort of comfy camouflage blanket over most of itself.

>INB4 thread invaded by /k/
>>
>>15414166
>INB4 thread invaded by /k/
people not fellating your detailed fanfiction concept does not mean /k/ is invading.
More often than not in this whole "is robot practical in warfare" conversation, people would use fictional concepts, hypothetical discoveries, and sometimes anime lore to back their statements. They think they are innovative special snowflakes without knowing what they are talking about or what the opposing side is talking about. By implying a /k/ boogey man, it's like you want to argue about how great your ideas are.

let's not derail this thread toward that direction please.
>>
>>15414233
I said that because people link any discussion of whether mecha will be real on /k/, then /k/ommandos flood in by the dozens, not because some anons from /m/ disagree.
>>
>>15413046
>absolutely no advantages
Mobility, combined arms, support.
>>
>>15412756
Why are you showing a video about intentionally gimped telerobotics?
>>
>getting asshurt about the American team when the entire reason the American team exists is because they wanted to help out the Japs and promote the Kurata
Never seen /m/en betray each other so easily. For shame. Megabot isn't supposed to win you know, any smack-talking is just for fun
>>
>>15414557
>betray
How do you betray something you've always hated and looked down on?

If they were trying to promote the other team they sure have done a lot of money grubbing, and have always come off, at least personally, as assholes.
I say fuck 'em.
>>
I'd be ok with a glorified humanoid powerloader/construction machine
>>
>>15414166
>>15414103
Okay so tell me how you plan to get that all into something under 60 tons and a ground pressure of 15 psi/in^2. And a cost of $12 million/unit (I'm being generous, a new production M1 Abrams costs $9m).

Also consider that it needs to fit on a standard railway flatbed, 3.66m wide with a height under 4.7m (European maximum, US tunnels are taller.)
>>
>>15415711
>get that all into something under 60 tons

Do you understand the concept of the square cube law?
Do you understand the concept of surface area?
Do you have any idea how fucking massive an Abrams is to achieve that weight?

It's a 14 foot tall mech with most of it's heavy armor on a little cockpit small enough to fit on top of a fucking mattress.
Every piece of equipment I listed that's not part of the core robotic body itself can, and is, put on current real world vehicles weighing less than thirty tons, the vast majority of the weight would be from the cockpit and legs, the arms would weigh very little due to being made from artificial muscle, which is pretty lightweigh.

>fit on a standard railway flatbed, 3.66m wide with a height under 4.7m (European maximum, US tunnels are taller.)

The machine I'm proposing is smaller than a goddamn panzer II
Just have it sit down in it's three wheeled stance, if you position the legs right(closer to fetal position) you could probably fit two on.
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>15416016
>let's act all aggressive and start a flame war so we can have the same shitfest again
>>15414233 is right, you WANT to fling shit at people
>>
>>15416084
>Someone comes and says stupid shit
>He gets called a fucking idiot
>"Waaahhh don't be mean!"

You're on 4chan, if you don't want flame wars go to a different website.
>>
>>15412947
Clearly I don't know enough about WWII then.
>>
>>15416185
>call someone faggot
>lul I sure showed them
>gets called a faggot
>FUCK OFF MY 4CHAN REEEE
Get outta here kid we are all faggots here but ain't nobody gonna suck your metaphorical dick.
>>
>>15401668
Too bad we'll be all dead before that. Such a shame.
>>
>>15414459
>Mobility

Legs are less efficient and slower than wheels or tracks, put more ground pressure on surfaces, meaning they'll get bogged down quicker, will be unable to push through obstacles, etc.

>Combined arms

How does this fit into a locomotive system? Combined arms is a doctrine, what strengths is this bringing to the party?

>Support

Again, how is it support?
>>
>>15414103
No way, not for ground combat; you'd want a three man crew at least because of operator fatigue, the need for all round observation, plus the necessity of having men in the field to service the vehicle.
>>
>>15416016
Why are you getting booty blasted? Those are critical requirements for military vehicles. If you can't even meet them you don't even get to pretend to play.
>>
File: chp4_011.gif (13KB, 466x439px) Image search: [Google]
chp4_011.gif
13KB, 466x439px
Learn one STRANGE TRICK that /m/ can't stand!
>>
>>15416938
>Guy implies that a something I already stated in the post he was responding to would be a 14 foot tall humanoid form, smaller than a panzer II, is going to be difficult to make weigh less than 60 tons
>Guy implies machine smaller than panzer II won't fit on something Abrams and Challenger IIs fit on
>He gets called an idiot
>"Why are you calling people idiots???"

>>15416932
Having a three man crew would make it too big to be a practical bipedal mech, observation would be assisted by a computer detecting surrounding objects using the sensors on the mech, firing on the move while allowing the pilot to see exactly where they're going would be done by letting a firing control computer operate the weapons.

>Operator fatigue
I don't see how, trained pilots can manage single man planes and jets just fine, and this would be a machine with a preferably simple and easy to use as possible control scheme and many automated processes.

>plus the necessity of having men in the field to service the vehicle.
In the field it's own pilot could service it, and other pilots could help if really necessary, some maintenance work might be easier than with traditional vehicles due to always having a handy pair of arms capable of lifting thousands of pounds.
>>
>>15417019
>Implying only tonks can do that
>>
>>15417544
Modern tanks are already packed with sensors; one of the roles of the commander is to be the one monitoring the sensors, maintaining communication and spotting targets; he can't also take care of gunnery and driving. Planes and jets are far different things; you have a massive support net feeding them data, they're covered by massive sensor nets and often by other aircraft, SAMs, etc and sorties while they can last for long periods, are rarely over 24 hours in length. Meanwhile someone on the ground has to be scanning the terrain around them constantly, on top of performing their other duties, day in, day out as operations continue. Sure, they're covered a little by the other vehicles in their troop/squadron and other assets, but there's far more stuff to watch out for and far more places to hide on the ground than in the air. In addition, there's a lot more chances for confusion, especially once you add civilians and such into the mix. There's a reason why two man tanks and AFVs fell out of use. And you are really underestimating how much maintenance combat vehicles need. You're talking hours, daily. You wouldn't even dare use those arms outside of vital tasks or if they're part of the weapon system, for anything other than engaging the enemy because that's more maintenance you have to do. The idea of one man doing maintenance on a single vehicle, or having others in his troop help him, meaning they'll be neglecting their own machines, is laughable. If you absolutely HAD to have one man per machine, they'd be operating with an large organic engineering element, which would need other elements to protect it while the robots were out doing whatever role you have planned for them.
>>
>>15401908
>the smile shot
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.