[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Gundam protagonist had the most convincing arc over the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: 67a.jpg (78KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
67a.jpg
78KB, 500x667px
Which Gundam protagonist had the most convincing arc over the course of their narrative from whoever they were at the beginning to whatever them became by the time their story concluded?
>>
>>15397845
Setsuna undoubtedly had the tightest arc from start to finish.
>>
Probably Setsuna, Amuro, or Kamille. Flit would be up there if it weren't for the third generation.
>>
Given how many have copied it sense, I think Amuro still has far and away the most believable "naive, edgy kid is exposed to the horrors of war and becomes a hardened soldier" story.

Something about the way 0079 kept things considerably more focused on the war experiences of a select few unlike later Gundam series that let the cast get bloated and the plot convoluted in their attempts to say everything about war.
>>
>>15397845
>Loran is basically albino
>Setsuna has a slight tan
What is this
>>
Garrod Ran was convincingly cute for 39 episodes
>>
>>15397845
Amuro, Uso, and Kamille

>>15397868
>>15397856
>Setsuna
>character arc

TOP FUCKING KEK

He was the same bland self-insert at the start that he was at the end
>>
>>15397845
Kamille. He got out. He went to war, dealing with his serious anger issues by beating them out of peopl, and getting it beaten out of him, loses his family, a lover, a mentor, all of his friends except for his first, and then finally his mind. When he comes back to it, he doesn't get involved again. He's seen the futility of it, so he just tries to do the best that he can, becoming a doctor, and gets his good end.
>>
>>15397893
Garrod himself doesn't have a perfect arc, he just goes from selfish to less selfish and he lvoes the girl, BUT X has one of the most well rounded casts in the franchise.
>>
>>15397845
I'd say Domon had a pretty good character arc
>>
>>15397868

I'd say Flit isn't up there simply because a lot of his character evolution was off screen and happened between generations. You see things that caused him to change, but a lot of the actual changes are just there by the next generation.

>>15397898

> Setsuna
> Self-insert
> Kills his parents, suffers from PTSD and cannot stand to be touched by another person for most of the first season because of emotional trauma, while even by the movie he's still emotionally distant and cannot connect with another person on anything but a social level
> somehow a self-insert

I don't think you know what that phrase means. Also, he did change from season one to the movie, even if you don't like the results or feel they're not a good arc.
>>
File: Garrod.jpg (55KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
Garrod.jpg
55KB, 640x432px
>>15397912
He didn't say he had a perfect arc.

He said he was Convincingly cute, which to be fair he was.
>>
>>15397924
I wasn't contradicting him, or that wasn't my intention, I was just adding on that the X cast is really good
>>
>>15397845
Domon. Easily.

His whole arc is basically this very steady understanding that all this rage he's carrying at beginning of the show is just unjustified, reactionary angst and that life is not the black & white "I'm right! They're wrong! I ARE MAD!" situation that he thought it was. The way he slowly appreciates how important Rain is to him and how much they've been through together, how he comes to appreciate Master Asia as a complete person with his own beliefs and struggles that go beyond just how Domon knew him as his teacher, how the legacy of Kyoji was far more complicated than he originally thought, etc, he had to learn --like most of us at that age -- that he actually didn't know shit and calm the fuck down.

By the end he had become a man.
>>
File: Io_Fleming-Na_Gundam-TB-1.jpg (285KB, 1008x567px) Image search: [Google]
Io_Fleming-Na_Gundam-TB-1.jpg
285KB, 1008x567px
Man remember when Gundam MCs had arcs?

Instead of being genki assholes with weird ticks?
Or wall-eyed assholes constantly eating dates?
Or Mr. Jazz-for-your-soul?
>>
File: Domon_rain.jpg (60KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Domon_rain.jpg
60KB, 640x480px
>>15397942
That's why I love the final confession so much. It was just the cherry on top of all those realizations for him to finally get that in the end, all that matters is love.
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 300x169px
>Says he is Gundam
>Merges his consciousness with a machine race, allowing him to truly become Gundam
What more do you need?
>>
>>15397917
>He was the same bland self-insert at the start that he was at the end
>same at the and at the end
If you think that and aren't just using buzzwords to condemn a character you don't like then you may be autistic.
>>
>>15397845
>most convincing arc
In my honest opinon Setsuna then Shinn his arc mad a lot of sense, you may hate him, but you can't deny it.
Shinn starts out mad at Orb because he thinks that the choices made by their top brass lead to his family's death.
Then he joins ZAFT because he thinks it's the best choice he can take to stop war because from his perspective the EA forces were the ones responsible for the state of things in CE.
At this point Shinn is somewhat stable on the surface but obviously he has a lot of built up anger which leads to him making very rash actions.
When he meets Athrun he's given something of a older brother/leader figure to look up to for guidance, although initially he's standoffish with him he becomes more compliant throughout the story.

This is until Kira comes back and Athrun starts being shifty leading to Shinn doubting him and Rey stepping in to manipulate shinn.
Then when Kira killed Stella Shinn's had it and went into a fit of rage, this escalated when Athrun betrayed ZAFT and Shinn had to chase him in the Destiny.

tl;dr: After his family's death everything slowly spirals out of control and Shinn is manipulated by basically every person around him leading to his own downfall.
>>
>>15398044
less bullshit
>>
File: SadFlit.png (1MB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
SadFlit.png
1MB, 1280x721px
Y'all are damn fools if you didn't think Flit had a tight character arc. He may have dropped out of focus after Gen-1, but his arc remained consistent in that it was the inner-conflict of Genociding the Vegans VS Protecting his loved ones, and how he wanted to do both at ALL costs, which resulted in his further alienating himself from his family. Of course he ultimately gives up on revenge because he loves his grandkid!

The best part is that he DIDN'T have some kind of quirk to his personality. (The genocide thing was more of a goal than a quirk) Flit never went into a mad ramble about the stuff that went into developing the AGE-system whenever someone brought up his prowess as a mobile suit smith. He was just a good kid turned stern family man turned bitter grandpa. The only thing they dropped the ball on in his development was his overcoming vengeance through X-Rounder ghosts. The same effect could be applied through him looking at Kio for a solid minute, and have more of an emotional impact.
>>
>>15397950
Yeah, Mika, Io and to some extent Bellri were very shallow protagonists.
At least the later went from religious zealot to knowing the truth about the world, even if it was barely touched upon.
>>
>>15398176
I honestly think that Flit switching his opinion because of Kio would've worked had that been built up and executed better.
Grandfather's love thier grandchildren.
If they had built up Kio and Flit's relationship by setting aside a few episodes or even scenes to show Flit replacing Asemu during Kio's childhood I would've been fine with Flit being convinced to not nuke the vegans by his grandson.
>>
>>15397950
Loran didn't really have an arc, but nobody ever complains about him. Started a pacifist and ended a pacifist.
>>
>>15398185
The best we got was Kio's first outing in AGE-3, the end of the not!Jaburo fight with Flit comforting Kio about Shanalua, the whole thing with revealing Asemu was the pirate Kio fought, and later when Kio comes back and starts questioning Flit's drive to kill all the veggies.

I agree it wasn't much, but I was okay with it as far as character interactions go. Didn't feel totally wasted like everybody on the Woolf Team or the Abis Team. Or Kio meeting Zeheart and asking him stuff about his missing dad. Something that SHOULD have happened instead of what we got out of Second Moon.
>>
>>15398200

He had a small bit of evolution in that he came to realize that Guin was using him and learning to stand up for himself, but I think most people don't care too much because Sochie, Kihel and others grew instead. Loran was the rock at the show's core, a solid foundation others grew around essentially.
>>
>>15398217
AGE-3 would have been perfect if it was just Flit doting on his cute grandson while having fun exterminating all of vegan kind.
>>
>>15397845
Amuro all the way.
In 0079 he was a selfish brat who cared for no one but himself by the end of CCA he is willing to push a goddamn asteroid alone with his gundam
>>
>>15397856
>begining of show: I am gundam
>end of show: I am gundam
Character arc.
>>
>>15398279
He literally did become gundam tho

I swear Sunrise was trolling us with that
>>
>>15398279

> beginning of the show: PTSD, aversion to personal contact, unquestionably following Aoelia's plan because of a loss of faith, doesn't question use of violence and wants to solve problems by destroying them
> end of movie: hasn't show any PTSD since mid-season one, has personal friends who he touches but still cannot form romantic attachments, follows Aoelia's plan because it reflects his personal beliefs, tries not to use violence and wants to solve problems by talking them out
> let me use memes to make both look identical
>>
>>15398175
Post less, then.
>>
>>15398279
>Some retard screaming gundam
>ascended god actually being gundam
>>
>>15397917
What anime fan could effectively self-insert as a social butterfly?
>>
>>15398200
When you are already rock solid, do you really need to grow?
>>
>>15398278
This, Best Gundam pilot.
I would also add >>15397908
>>
>>15397950
Banana was servicible. He was naive and insecure in the beginning and ended up being more confident and believing in himself by the end of Unicorn. Plus he got the girl, even if she isn't best.
>>
>>15398286
Of course they were
>>
>>15397845
Best:
Kamille, Amuro, Domon
Worst:
Heero, Shinn, Shiro
>>
I liked Judau a lot even if ZZ's quality is suspect ti some people. I identified with him since he was kinda a goof and the Dublin colony drop was spectacular especially since we see it through his perspective. I also liked his decision to get the fuck out while the getting was good at the end
>>
>>15398279

Gundam is just what Setsuna calls his personal beliefs which do change during the story. Early show he's constantly PTSDing about his past, and unquestionably does anything CB asks and has no faith in humanity.

By season 2 that's all changed. If Ribbons approached Setsuna in season 1 Setsuna would have immediately become his slave because he had such an obession with 0 Gundam saving him in Krugis, as opposed to telling Ribbions to fuck off because he had more to fight for than a past he'd accepted he couldn't change.
>>
>>15398172
This is all fine, and you forgot to add Durandal feeding his fragile ego and spurring him on. Problem is this arc has an abrupt 180 turn when he makes nice-nice with Kira and falls in line like everybody else, without the story having earned a change like that.

Yzak should really have been Shinn's mentor, he went through the exact same character arc of being a very angry young man seeking power to protect people but having lost his way in the process, only to realise how destructive his behaviour was and mellow out just a little. But, he's not an 'important' enough character so it would never have happened.
>>
>>15397942
>>15397958
honestly rewatching G Gundam, I had forgotten how much of a brash dick Domon was at the start.
>>
>>15397950
To be fair Mr. Jazz has all of his development in the manga. The OVA's were too short for anything of substance, given how much material they covered.
>>
>>15397908
>>15397942
And this is why everyone was disappointed with how Destiny was.

Because Shinn could have had a decent arc of his own, considering how he started.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.