[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop trying to make live-action Japan properties a thing America

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 289
Thread images: 25

File: Weekend.jpg (286KB, 912x1094px) Image search: [Google]
Weekend.jpg
286KB, 912x1094px
Stop trying to make live-action Japan properties a thing America

It's not gonna work. You can't even get a live-action video game movie off the ground more than like maybe once a decade

>Bu..bu...Power Rangers will make up it's budget by next week
Oh good, you get past the initial budget. Now about the actual budget. You really think this will top off at 200 mil?

>Bu..bu..but toys
Please give me an accurate with numbers example of movie Power Rangers toys flying off the shelves and I'll admit it as a consideration. Otherwise, bite me.
>>
Hey America wants everything to be whitewashed so stop whining.
>>
>>15392599
Gits baffles me because it doesn't do anything well. It doesn't aim for fans because it butchered the message and just recreated a bunch of scenes but made them not impactful. It seems like a dumb property to market towards popcorn audience since it isn't dumb enough and is filled with weird visuals they will find off-putting.

Power Rangers baffles the fuck out of me because it's not even proper China bait. The action is mediocre at best and the ugly cgi action is in like 10 minutes. The Chinese want stupid action not American teen drama.

Who the fuck were these movies for?
>>
>>15392599
Saban wants that movie franchise cash that the Marvel Cinematic Universe brings in so he's gonna make a sequel regardless if the PR movie doesn't make much of a profit.

As for GITS, I'm not surprised. I'm not a purist, but Hollywood doesn't give a shit about source material whether it's US comics or Japanese ones. I really love how /m/ was shilling that there's nothing difficult in adapting anime/manga in a Western format. Say what you want about the Japanese, but this is their work, their culture, their tastes. We may not always agree with it (I personally think they're trivial and pretentious), but at least they pour all their heart and soul with their own views and experiences. It's the same problem when Japanese adapt Western stuff without having no clue how to interpret the material.
>>
>>15392705
>Saban wants that movie franchise cash that the Marvel Cinematic Universe brings in so he's gonna make a sequel regardless if the PR movie doesn't make much of a profit.
What's separating Saban from all those other movie franchises that they wanted to make a bunch of sequels for like Fant4stic or Fembusters or Robocop?

Like there has been multiple attempts to get cinematic universes off the ground but the only ones that's worked (very relatively speaking) is the DCEU and it took them two tries. The only one so far with potential is the kaijuuverse really and those movies were actually commercially and critically successful
>>
>>15392599
I hope PR isn't considered profitable solely because they're already planning more movies
>>
>>15392910
>What's separating Saban from all those other movie franchises that they wanted to make a bunch of sequels for like Fant4stic or Fembusters or Robocop?
This one didn't bomb. It will likely make a small profit thanks to China but be nothing spectacular. If the toys at least still decently it will be a minor over all success. Saban is also a greedy jackass so I wouldn't be surprised if he just takes middling success/failure as a message that if he lowers the budget on the next one he can make a better profit.
>>
>>15392910
>>15392933
Green Ranger is really popular so they probably gonna push for at least 1 more.
>>
>>15392633
>Who the fuck were these movies for?

Ironic weebs.
>>
>>15392940
>This one didn't bomb.
Depends on if it makes it to 200 mil or not. It definitely underperformed though

If it's even close like maybe 180 mil maybe but I don't know about FIVE SEQUELS worth. I honestly don't think this is even going to have a higher box office than Fembusters which, as you said, was a bomb
>>
>>15392705
>Say what you want about the Japanese, but this is their work, their culture, their tastes. We may not always agree with it (I personally think they're trivial and pretentious), but at least they pour all their heart and soul with their own views and experiences.
Yes because all Japanese media is pretentious and no pretentious western creators exist
>>
>>15392973
It's going to likely break even, and as >>15392941 said green ranger is enough to bring people back. I expect a sequel and MAYBE a third one as long as the sequel also hovers just below a 50% and breaks even. If they reach three it will bomb so hard I expect it to end up a notable failure, like enter records as one of the worst selling adaptations to date.

>>15392970
Unfortunately you are pretty accurate. They don't want to go far enough or put in the effort to appease real fans, they rather target geek chic people who know these things on a surface level or at best on a nostalgia basis.
>>
File: He Doesn't Know.png (90KB, 896x513px) Image search: [Google]
He Doesn't Know.png
90KB, 896x513px
>>15392599
>>
>>15392599
>You can't even get a live-action video game movie
Warcraft did pretty well internationally. Same for ASS Creed.
>>
>>15393361
>did well internationally
Gotta thank the Chinese for that.
Every time some big title Hollywood adaptation comes out they just spam it all over Chinese social media and unrelated forums for a month or two before fellating the next one. They are natural shills.
>>
>>15392599
Power rangers is an american ip though.
>>
>>15393410
In that case so is Robotech.
>>
>>15393402
>Gotta thank the Chinese for that.
I will.

They also saved Pacific Rim.

They're alright in my eyes. America only likes shitty marvel quips these days.
>>
>>15393446
I mean it technically (key word here) is, even if the only part of it that anyone actually gives a shit about is the stuff lifted straight from Macross.
>>
File: look at this guy.jpg (84KB, 984x720px) Image search: [Google]
look at this guy.jpg
84KB, 984x720px
>>15393483
I give a shit about the stuff lifted straight from Mospeada!
>>
>>15392599
But no one asked for this except dumb Hollywood Execs. I doubt you know how Americans think.
>>
>>15393491
But literally no one cares about Southern Cross. It can't even get a Blu-ray release in Japan when even Orguss can.
>>
>>15393278
That (and it's Japanese horror film ilk) were remakes though. Not what these things and all the other previous attempts were trying to be

>>15393361
>ASS Creed.
That didn't profit though.

Also despite the China support, I don't think the Warcraft cinematic universe is going to happen
>>
>>15393550
Was Ghost in the Shell not a remake of the Oshii movie? I literally don't know. Like everyone else, I didn't see it.
>>
>>15393550
>that didn't profit
Hollywood ain't that dumb. Of course these movies made profit, but they're never going to tell you that.

At the end of the day, while we don't get any sequels, execs are laughing their way to the bank.
>>
>>15392599
But let's be real, though, how much of Power Rangers' budget was paid for up-front by Krispy Kreme? Because it has to have been a lot.
>>
>>15393509
>how Americans think.
They think? Is it in slogans 3 - 4 word slogans written on caps, t-shirts and bumper stickers?
>>
>>15393553
It's essentially selected scenes from the original movie and Stand Alone Complex in live action with a weak plot tying them together.

Looks-wise, the movie is spot on. However, it doesn't have anything else to go with it.
>>
File: 1370803124539.gif (2MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1370803124539.gif
2MB, 444x250px
The problem is that they're just not good fucking movies. The producers try to please too many audiences and too many moneybags at the same time and end up with watered down piss that doesn't have any uniqueness, originality or energy to it.

That's really what it boils down to. It's not because Japan is some sacred place that has the know-how of how to make these stories work.
>>
>>15393557
>Of course these movies made profit, but they're never going to tell you that.
I bet Paul Feig only wishes that was true about Fembusters
>>
>>15392705
>It's the same problem when Japanese adapt Western stuff without having no clue how to interpret the material.
Howl's Moving Castle comes to mind. They nailed the Moomin Family though.
>>
>>15393629
>It's not because Japan is some sacred place that has the know-how of how to make these stories work.

It kind of is, though, because Japanese people will go to the theater to see a movie that's made on the equivalent of what would be a made-for-tv movie in America. In the US it just isn't a viable business model to make a movie for $5 million and hope to get $10 million back. The cost of just distribution outweighs that more often than not, and with how strong competition is from major releases you could lose money even on that "safe" of a bet.

Just look at what happened to Power Rangers: A Turbo Movie, as that's pretty much the equivalent of a Toku movie in Japan. Most of these are no-budget movies that make small profits against weak competition, and that formula only works because the Japanese film industry isn't big enough to completely crush them out of the market like the American film industry does to its low-to-mid-budget movies.
>>
>>15393669
Is direct-to-Netflix or whatever not a viable platform? Not every property just has to be on a big screen.
>>
>>15393676
That's actually a really good question. Considering that Power Rangers is basically just a toy commercial and Netflix has wide reach, particularly among kids, that might actually be a viable avenue going for forward for Power Rangers if this one doesn't make enough to warrant a full theatrical sequel.

Assuming that Netflix is interested, of course. Which they might be, because they have all of Power Rangers up there and it's often in their "trending" list, but even at a significantly reduced budget they might balk at a Power Rangers movie.

It's an interesting idea, though. In a way it would be a return to the 90's, where we had modest budget direct-to-video movies skipping theaters and going straight to Blockbuster.
>>
>>15393676
>Is direct-to-Netflix or whatever not a viable platform?
Not yet but give it another 5-10 years

It's already on the path to destroying TV
>>
>>15393629
Well if your story is about some ex-un agents who now live and operate in a newly risen to power super power that only exist because of wars that politically fractured America and the rest of the world it seems kind of important that story is set in Japan with nip nongs.
>>
>>15393629
Japan is the only place that knows how to make anime though.

I'll never understand why anime needs a 3DPD adaptation but there's a lot I don't get about normalfags.
>>
File: 1148022850443.jpg (109KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
1148022850443.jpg
109KB, 600x776px
The Live action Evangelion will be the movie that shows america the rue power of anime.

They will bring Anno overseas to direct it, with FX by ILM or Weta, $250 million dollar budget. It would gross as much as The Force Awakens or Avater, at least 2 billion.

Then Hollywood will want to make Gundam and Macross and Gunbuster and Sailor Moon movies
>>
File: 1461519345709.png (170KB, 382x346px) Image search: [Google]
1461519345709.png
170KB, 382x346px
i know there is a huge anti burgerland thing going on here but please dont let fucking shit head Hollywood speak for us
believe me I never asked for this
most of us learnt our lesson after fucking DBE
this should of never happened
>>
>>15394606
You'll have to take responsibility for Hollywood.

Just as Germans have to take responsibility for Auschwitz.
>>
>>15394595
>Evangelion
deconstruction
>>
File: japanese-guyver-dark-hero.jpg (76KB, 957x709px) Image search: [Google]
japanese-guyver-dark-hero.jpg
76KB, 957x709px
How did Guyver 2 and Edge of Tomorrow turn out so decent? Were they flukes or is there some secret to making a good adaptation from Japanese source material?
>>
>>15392941
Why?
>>
>>15396866
>Edge of Tomorrow
Say what you will about Cruise but that guy doesn't fuck around.
>>
File: 1490689670863.gif (237KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1490689670863.gif
237KB, 500x281px
>>15392941
>Green Ranger is really popular
>>
I just wish there were theaters that showed toku and anime regularly here.
>>
>>15398756
A lot of people cheered when Tommy and Kimberly's actors cameoed in the ending of Power Rangers.
>>
>>15398818
>Tommy
its pretty popular and not Green Ranger
>>
>>15398825
Yes he is, and then people cheered when the detention teacher was asking for Tommy Oliver in the inter-credits scene.
>>
>>15392633
If they's made it for Deadpool cheap with a no-name Asian actress instead of $carlett Johan$$on and focused on the philosophical shit, it wouldn't have gotten the shitty race-bait attention and it would have at least broken even on the strength of GITS fans actually giving a shit. But no.

This is going to be the first movie I TPB discount in a decade and it does not feel good. I want a live-action Gundam some day and this is the exact opposite of the way we get it.
>>
>>15392599
>You really think this will top off at 200 mil?
With toys, dvds, blurays and krispy kreme donuts it sure as fuck will.
>>
>>15393669
>Distribution
Enter Netflix. Hence the Death Note movie, for better or worse.
>>
>>15398925
>With toys, dvds, blurays and krispy kreme donuts it sure as fuck will.
That's overestimating. Everybody's harping about China bailing this film out but there's guarantee of that.

Even the toys are questionable because quite frankly, the movie Zords look like shit. Too much like those Movie Transformers and not what Zords are supposed to be.

>>15398940
>>15398918
Now the SJW faggots are gonna shit all over Death Note. I fucking hate weaboos.
>>
>>15392608
>Hey America wants everything to be whitewashed so stop whining.

As opposed to Japan wanting everything to be yellow-washed ?
>>
>>15401201
Death Note is fine. The American remake looks DmC dumb and doesn't even have some cool songs to offset the fail.

https://youtu.be/VDowtcyVHCI
>>
>>15401225
THIS

Japs and other Orientals are racist fucktards yet nobody calls them out on it.
>>
>>15393446
Yes, it is.
>>
>>15396866
The only "secret" to make good adaptations is to take the source material and adapt it to the different medium. Speed Racer was good too because understood this. Any good adaptation is good because of this(among other reasons).

The problem with most is that the superficial elements are taken to narrate the story the director wants to tell, not the story its supposed to tell.
>>
File: image.png (726KB, 1380x2972px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
726KB, 1380x2972px
>>15398918
Amuro's a FUCKING LEAF, so it may not be so bad
>>
>>15401232
Japan doesn't have "all men are created equal" in its constitution or a big huge statue saying that they welcome the tired, poor, and huddled masses yearning to be free. America gets criticized for failing to live up to the ideals it professes.
>>
>>15401274
Well, depending on the version, he's Mexican.

Either way, I'm not convinced they won't do Wing instead of UC, which means we could be looking at Ryan Gosling as Heero Yuy. I imagine Hollywood really is that dumb, even when they could focus the movie on Duo if they were desperate. On that note, I fully expect Duo to be racebent to Latino or black.
>>
>>15401490
>Well, depending on the version, he's Mexican.
The only one where he might be a beaner is the Origin, which tries to keep it ambiguous
>>
>>15401507
I prefer the idea of him being Mexican-Japanese because it's so wacked out compared to a likely modern-day combination and drives home how far removed (but not too far) from today UC is. Also the blue balls it gives to North Americans knowing that one of Gundam history's most important people has nothing to do with them.
>>
>>15396866
Edge of Tomorrow took an easy-to-understand source material and scrubbed the anime off of it pretty hard. They got rid of the smoother Japanese designs, removed the giant axes,and gave everything a gritty Call of Duty kind of feel.
The end result was arguably a conventional sci-fi story with a twist.

GiTS failed because the source material is:
a.) complex
b.) Strange (this is Shirow we're talking about, after all)
You can't make a GiTS remake stay close to the source material without keeping most of the bizarre imagery and cryptic plot points. It's like trying to do Akira without Tetsuo turning into a lump of flesh.

It also doesn't help that certain scenes, like the Major going to town on someone while invisible, just don't translate over to live action and CG very well.
>>
>>15401579
That and nobody gave a fuck it was based on a Jap novel nor did they advertise it.
>>
>>15401579
>too complex to adapt properly
this is the dankest new meme of 2017 y'all
>>
>>15401531
Mexico is in North America.
>>
>>15401618
Mexico is in Central America.
>>
>>15401746
North America is the name of the continent. Google the shit next time, nobody has time to spoonfeed you.
>>
>>15401531
Well he's straight up Japanese in the TV show
>>
>>15401232
Well you know I've never seen Japanese police beat the shit out of a black guy on live television.

America, for better or worse, is supposed to represent the superiority of Western society. When it doesn't it catches worldwide media attention.

It's unfair ofcourse the US is not and cannot be bettter than human nature.
>>
>>15401232
Isn't it racist to categorize another race as shit because they're "all" racist?

Honestly, who cares? You can't force them to accept you or any of your other fat, pimply anime-club brothers. Just the same that you don't have to be forced to accept Mexicans or Arabs coming here in droves.

Sounds more like you got so offended that you spun around and stepped on your own PC sensibilities.
>>
>>15401225
Japan is a homogeneous country and didn't push MUH RACEMIXING AND DIVERSITY. The US did, a lot, and they still do. Americans always like to blame Europe for being cucks, and that's true, but they're that way because America was pushing that bullshit for decades. Even Korea is starting to buy into it nowadays. Same for the gay agenda.
>>
>>15401229
I might watch the Death Note movie just to see Willem Dafoe as Ryuk. It's just a shame literally everything else about it screams "made for Netflix".
>>
>>15401232
Newsflash, people cast actors that are successful and will appeal to the broadest audience. That's why hollywood "whitewashes" and everyone acting in asia is asian.

If I live to see niggy nogs in leading kung-fu roles just because it's the "not racist" thing to do or some shit, i'll probably kill myself because the west and people like you have already won.
>>
>>15402041
>he's not aware of fighting black kings
lol
>>
File: image.jpg (328KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328KB, 1920x1080px
>>15402041
>If I live to see niggy nogs in leading kung-fu roles just because it's the "not racist" thing to do or some shit, i'll probably kill myself
>i'll probably kill myself
Your move.
>>
>>15402023
Japan has declining birth rates and needs young people, but it stubbornly refuses to allow more immigrants because of xenophobia. Plenty of expats in Japan comment on this. Japan has to either grow up and be part of the 21st century or it's gonna continue to be outpaced by everyone else. They even lose their status as world's 2nd largest economy to the PRC.
>>
>>15401746
There is no such thing as central America.
>>
>>15402213
That has more to do with their economic policies than their demographics.
>>
>>15402223
Yeah but their continued prejudice towards foreigners speaks a lot about them as a nation-state.
>>
At least the live action GitS was better than the original animated movie.
>>
File: My mate Dave.png (469KB, 1212x852px) Image search: [Google]
My mate Dave.png
469KB, 1212x852px
>>15402213
>>15402239
>They should commit suicide as a nation just like Europe

Actually their birth rate has picked up recently so nah you're alright.
>>
>>15402221
t. Canadian

There is no geographic Central America but there is clearly a political/cultural region removed from both South and North America, sitting right in between them.
>>
File: 1479885778955.jpg (127KB, 640x926px) Image search: [Google]
1479885778955.jpg
127KB, 640x926px
>>15393629
>Try to please everyone.
>End up pleasing no one.
>>
>>15401766
Not understanding the difference between geographic and sociopolitical delineations.
By that logic, there's no Europe, just Really Far West Asia.
>>
>>15401795
Except for the part where he meets his mom somewhere between California and Brazil (if my memory is correct).
>>
>>15401232
Their racism is less immediately fatal to people, at least in this century.
>>
File: Setsuna studies.png (222KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Setsuna studies.png
222KB, 800x450px
>>15392599
There's nothing wrong with film adaptations in of themselves.
It's just American directors and execs having their had shoved so far up their asses that they think they know better than the source material.
>>
>>15402239
They're really not alone. Hungary, the Balkans & Former Yugoslavia, China, and other relatively important countries are still fairly xenophobic.

It's not wrong to want to protect your culture. I'm sure Japan would rather see its population rise due to natural births before supplementing it with waves of foreigners. They have a unique and interesting society, as do most other nations.

The real irony is that it is the culture itself, mixed with the inevitable effects of the female workforce and the late-stage development model, that lowers their birthrate. Sure, plenty of it is due to the specialized career choices made in Japan and the high demand of work, some of it is due to women being out in the labor force, and going abroad, and marrying foreigners.

But most of it is due to this disgustingly shallow postwar culture that has grown in both East and West and which seems to teach delusion to people. The men are fine with their anime and holographic 'girl' companions, the women are equally consumed by pop culture and uninterested in real relationships. In some ways this is an intensely 21st C Japanese cultural flaw.

The same phenomenon is happening in Sweden on a smaller scale, where the advanced native Swedes are devoted to a less 'primitive' existence and often place reproduction as secondary to things like enjoyment, fulfillment, etc. Only Sweden has actually been supplementing pop.l with foreigners, unlike Japan. The difference in culture is shocking, and the Swedes are literally being outbred by near east people who needed ten sons to manage their goats just one generation ago.
>>
>>15402041
The movie that started the kung fu craze in America co-starred a black man because it was thought that Bruce Lee wouldn't be able to carry it.
>>
>>15393669
>>15393747
>>15394579
Not even Japanese make good anime adaptations though.
>>
>>15402293
>in america
there you go

Show me when Chinese pictures are no longer predominantly Chinese, and I will tell you when American pictures are no longer predominantly white.
>>
>>15402041
>>15402293 here again. Fact-checked with my dad, who was alive at the time, and who reminded me that there was also a white co-star, for to cover all the demographic bases. He also added, unbidden, and I quote, "You're already dead, kung fu kiddo." This is especially funny to me because he is completely unfamiliar with FotNS.

Anyway post pics of your suicide kthx.
>>
>>15402301
You're not getting it. Enter the Dragon was basically Bruce Lee's thing. They added American stars for marketability, but it is THE kung fu movie, Hong Konginianeseish through and through.
>>
>>15402289
It's questionable how long immigrant generations will continue to have a dramatically higher birth rate, though, because it's fairly consistent across all cultures that poor people have more children than rich people. The best thing to do if you don't want your natives to be outbred by immigrants is to make sure the immigrants get settled into a comfortable middle-class lifestyle that causes their kids to grow up naturalized and too busy doing self-actualizing things to breed as quickly as their parents did. I'd guess family traditional pressures to have lots of kids will work for one, maybe two generations deep before it tapers off.

Meanwhile, if you look at somewhere like America that comparatively treats its immigrants and most of its citizens like shit, no wonder they're becoming a bigger percentage of the population. When you're poor, you fuck a lot.
>>
>>15402213
>They even lose their status as world's 2nd largest economy to the PRC
That's fucking obvious when the whole world shifts its production facilities to China because they have viable slavery with no repercussions whatsoever.
Japan has laws, you can't compete with countries with a shitload of workforce and no laws.
>>
>>15402213
A lot of nations have declining birthrates.

Germany and Japan have similar rates per women, except Germany hit that bottom back in the 80s and never recovered. Japan hit their current rate just before the 2000s. Countries like Greece, Italy, Hungary, Spain, all have low birth rates as well. It's not like Japan is unique but these western countries are the same ones insisting that Japan take more foreigners.

Why should Japan even do that? So they can take in more beta white guys who want to teach English?
>>
>>15392599
Sure, but why are you telling people on /m/? We don't make them. We don't even like them. We're the most critical group OF them. Send an email to fucking SABAN or whatever the fuck, I totally agree with you. Preaching to the choir.
>>
File: 1374269943638.jpg (57KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1374269943638.jpg
57KB, 1024x576px
>>15401232
>>15402301
Please note that oriental countries consist primarily of orientals.

>>15402213
>current year joke
>>
>>15402275
Hahaha, what that anon said is the same as saying:
>No! Chicago isn't a part of the mid-west! It's a part of Illinois!!
So pretending that you're an intellectual in any way after not understanding that you can be in a area AND a sub-section of that area is an insult to brains in general.
>>
>>15402289
Simpler explanation: people are made dumber by their racism and rendered unable to recognize that steadily transferring their culture to foreigners preserves it better than the ridiculous influx that's about to happen. It's easier to pressure a steady flow of incoming immigrants and they need to have started yesterday.
>>
>>15402327
So he was dumb and I overlooked his idiocy. Why are you white knighting for him, again?
>>
>>15402316
So hat they don't become like Greece, Italy, Hungary, or Spain.
>>
>>15402338
"White-knighting" for who? The study of Geography?
>>
>>15402341
For the guy who didn't understand that political Central America is a part of geographic North America (and that I was referring to the former all along, since I was talking about likely association). Are you playing dumb now?
>>
>>15402352
No. I wasn't in the beginning of the conversation. I came in at the end when the whole "north american/central american" thing came up.
So whoever the other guy is, whether he's the guy who thinks "central america doesn't exist" or not, I don't know.
>>
>>15402289
1 a lot of people don't want kids
2 those who do can't afford them

Quite the society we've built. IDGAF I'm just here to have fun.
>>
>>15394595
>Eva Unit 1 ver. Bayformers
>Gundam ver. Bayformers
>Valkyrie ver. Bayformers
These are the horrors the timeline you propose will bring
>>
>>15402060
>directed by RZA
>starring RZA
>music by RZA
I'm pretty sure it's less about appropriation and more about RZA wanting to make and star in a martial arts movie.
>>
>>15402729
>he's never heard of studio heads
>he's never heard of executive producers
top kek
>>
>>15402729
this
they didn't just pull the Wu Tang name out of their collective asses
they're pretty legit kung fu nerds even beyond traditional stereotypes as far as I've ever heard
>>
>>15402729
>Presented by Tarantino
>Produced by Eli Roth
>RZA
>taught to direct by Tarantino
>taught to screenwrite by Roth
>Roth did multiple rewrites of RZA's screenplay
But sure, pretend like RZA made the thing happen on his own. Keep cherrypicking, anon.
>>
>>15393025
I expect a sequel will preform better than the first honestly. It's gotten decent word of mouth. I could see it getting a bit of a stronger following after the DVD is out. Most people I know are waiting for it's DVD release to redbox it.

Toys probably sold decent enough too. Kids still seem to like Power Rangers to some degree.

It also did pretty decent given that it had so much stacked against it. Had BATB not been the juggernaut it was, and Boss Baby not being a surprise hit, it likely would have done better too. No China release either.
>>
>>15393590
I will say for all it's shit writing it was a very pretty movie.
>>
>>15402294
Yeah, but they don't have to be good when they cost nothing and only have to make slightly more than nothing. American theaters won't take a movie that'll only make slightly more than nothing, though. They'll just This Month's Disney Movie for a week longer to fill those screens instead.

>>15402760
They're responsible for popularizing the stereotype. I'm sure they weren't the only black kung fu fans way back when, but Wu Tang is what made that subculture a thing that everybody else knows about.
>>
>>15402791
>>Presented by Tarantino
>>Produced by Eli Roth
Oh, overrated hacks. Great.
>>
>>15402809
>They're responsible for popularizing the stereotype.
black people like kung fu goes back to the 70s
>>
File: image.jpg (452KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
452KB, 600x600px
>>15402809
>They're responsible for popularizing the stereotype. I'm sure they weren't the only black kung fu fans way back when, but Wu Tang is what made that subculture a thing that everybody else knows about.
Only is you're A.) a millenial or B.) perpetrating like you know about the Wu.
Wu-tang Clan is from the fucking '90s, by guys who watched the blaxploitation and kung-fu movies popular in the '70s. Those two genres have always been paired since then, even in mainstream (like Power Man & Iron Fist).
So stop perputrating, honky.
>>
>>15402213
You just want to fuck Japanese chicks. You don't care about their declining birthrates or economy.
>>
>>15402843
Now on the one hand I just got told like a bitch and I should shut up, but as a pendant I want to point out that while Jim Kelly's most famous role is in a kung fu movie, he actually practiced karate so technically his solo movies weren't kung fu movies.
>>
This seems as good a point as any to bring up Shaolin Dolemite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxgw0_U-0U

It's a damn tragedy that neither Santo nor Dolemite fought cheap robots.
>>
>>15402881
He wasn't even close to being the only guy. Did you also want to mention he wasn't an actual "samurai" or "disco godfather" while you're at it.
>>
File: image.jpg (666KB, 747x1133px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
666KB, 747x1133px
>>15402881
>>
>>15402918
Are you sure he wasn't a Disco Godfather? That one feels true.
>>
>>15402927
That takes decades of training.
>>
>>15402918
next you'll be claiming that Sho'nuff wasn't really the Shogun of Harlem from 1983-1991
>>
>>15392599
Hollywood never learns
>>
>>15402895
At least Santo fought monsters.
>10 hours of footage cut from the movie SD used as a source
Jesus Christ, that director was dedicated.

>>15404120
Pretty much. You'd think Speed Racer and DB Evolution's failures would have been enough of a lesson, but no they need to attempt every nostalgic IP under the sun until they find something that works.
>>
>>15404140
Hollywood is a shithole full of pedos and egotistical sociopaths. They don't give a fuck if something fails thanks to Hollywood accounting. They influence and shape billions across the globe yet have no oversight or regulation.
>>
>>15401997
Not >>15401232 but are you seriously denying that Japan isn't racist toward anyone who isn't 100% Nihon-jin desu?

Power Rangers has more diversity than sentai ever had. It's why it's more internationally recognizable because any kid whose white, black, Latino, Pacific Islander/Aborigine, Asian, Jewish, Arab, or whatever can find a Ranger they can relate to. Nobody except Japanese people can relate to sentai characters.
>>
>>15405160
No, you're the racist if you can only relate to people who look like you.
>>
>>15405189
try using that against progressive sjws lad
>>
>>15405289
I don't care that they're wrong. They aren't willing to listen. I'm not going to waste my effort. But if someone isn't blatantly shitposting then they're at least interested in a discussion and open to ideas.
>>
>>15392970
Those people don't pay for anything.
>>
>>15405160
Hah, the problem is the lack of non-japanese actors who can speak colloquial japanese.
They've had half-japanese actors since forever, but the "exotic talent" (full non-japanese) you see repeatedly are barely understandable and too few.
You can complain all you want, but the lack of foreigners who can speak colloquial japanese is a reality.
>>
>>15405189
This just in: small children are shitty and have to be taught even the most basic tenants of morality. Power Rangers has tons of episodes explaining to the audience, who are intended to be children, that you shouldn't judge people by how they appear for exactly this reason.
>>
>>15405366
Nah. I looked at what they did and Billy was my man. I was and still am black. I enjoyed science and dual wielding is the shit.
>>
Go Watch Black Dynamite. American films are not as racists as it looks. Its the PC crowd that is more racist if viewed on a larger lens. Rogue One has atleast Asian actors.
>>
>>15405160
>>15405310
You guys are right in both accounts. The fact of the matter is. You have to be a competent and marketable actor to have a chance to be recognize.
>>
>>15401531
>I prefer the idea of him being Mexican-Japanese because it's so wacked out
Man, I don't know where you're from but in southern California you will see a lot half Hispanic/ half Asians because of how long they've been here. I actually know a handful of specifically Mexican/Japanese people.
>>
>>15405445
Yeah, sometimes I feel like the term "person of color" is the most horrifyingly racist shit ever. Its exactly like calling people "coloreds" or "darkies".

Spic speaking, btw.
>>
>>15405189
It's not that people can only relate to their own race, but that it is very helpful in making you feel included and represented. Japan is 90% Yamato Japanese; their duties in terms of representation are different. America is AT BEST 70% white, but if you break that whiteness down and remove Jewish people, Hispanics, etc, who often identify as those first, America is a ridiculously multiracial country by any standard. But then you go and look at our media and it's white face after white face on TV, on movie posters, on video game covers. And not just white, but very specific kinds of white. This wouldn't be so bad, but THE SAME WHITE PEOPLE are always moaning about hyphenated Americans and why can't people just be American why do we have to be multicultural blah blah blah. Well, it's because any rational person would look at the things Americans put out to represent Americaness and conclude that white people really don't consider everyone else American. It fucks with minority buy-in to American institutions, goals, initiatives, values, w/e. In the back of their minds is the thought that if they're not included and aren't really considered American, why should they care? They're here for the paycheck.

You help to solve a lot of problems by promoting diversity in media. Both sides calm down a little in the end because some of the pressure and anxious undercurrent of whether or not people belong is taken care of.
>>
>>15405459
That's actually pretty cool. Imagine the fusion cuisine in a few decades.
>>
>>15392599
Seen PR, it was pretty ok, nothing special but I expected far worse. It was a fun time and for once MCs where all likeble. Suit were terrible, I hope they change them for next movie

PR is not even out in most of world, it will end up pretty good
>>
>>15405459
Love conquers all. /pol may not like it but race mixing is always inevitable.
>>
So far only good Live action Anime movies

Ruroni Kenshin
Death Note (Japanese)
Kaiji
Edge of Tomorrow: live. Die. Repeat
Guyver 2
>>
>>15402806
Yeah GitS got a budget. At least Hollywood knows how to make movies look the part.

The Japanese movie industry could never put 100 million dollars together. Maybe during the economic boom times but not anymore.
>>
>>15405746
I would argue that Cromartie probably fits on there, since it's intentionally silly.
>>
>>15405761
yeah, the Mechazawa gag works better for me with the jarring nature of him in 3d form.
because he's so handsome that you don't expect somebody like him to be real
>>
>>15392599
It's more a symptom of Hollywoods current 'The only thing that matters is the size of the budget' attitude.
>>
I would have cast Rinko instead of ScarJew. Then done a direct adaption of Dumb Barter. Which is a story where the Major and her boyfriend get attacked in the boyfriend's apartment by a cartel.
>>
>>15405917
and casting big name actors, because of a belief that actors alone will put butts in seats.
>>
>>15406608
worked for Boss Baby
>>
>>15406666
Boss Baby got marketing.

I can't remember seeing a GitS ad on tv. Yet Boss Baby had enough for me to see at least one per day.
>>
>>15406692
Are you insane? The over-saturation of GitS commercials reached ad nauseum. Do you even watch tv?
>>
>>15406735
CN, FX, FXX, TNT, Science, Comedy Central, SyFy, USA, BBC America
>>
>>15406745
>CN
>Comedy Central
>SyFy
Then you're full of shit. CN during adult swim showed a commericial for it pretty much every single commercial block, and I know SyFy and Comedy Central showed them plenty. Unless your local affiliate swapped it out, you need to review your memory.
I'm STILL fastforwarding (or pausing till I can) past them when I watch Always Sunny on CC in the mornings.
>>
>>15393571
I certainly think more than you. And ghost in the shell is tanking. So I was right about no one in the United States wanting this movie.
Maybe now the Death Note movie will be cancelled.
>>
>>15405461
>>>Admitting to being a spic on /m/
I guess since this isn't a getter thread I might be able to trust your opinion.
>>
>>15406840
>Maybe now the Death Note movie will be cancelled.
Doubtful. Iron Fist was widely watched despite the Sjw brigade crapping on it.
>>
>>15402330
>Simpler explanation: people are made dumber by their racism and rendered unable to recognize that steadily transferring their culture to foreigners preserves it better than the ridiculous influx that's about to happen.
Implying whatever abomination comes out of the melting pot could still be called "Japanese Culture". Maybe you don't care to admit it but multiculturalism is where cultures go die.
>>
>>15409293
The most interesting cultures are almost always the ones based on a mixture of a few that have otherwise died out or moved on. Even Japanese culture, at its heart, is a mixture of Chinese and ancient Japanese culture from the various periods it went through (Jomon, Yayoi, etc.).

But my point is that if you're facing a demographic crisis that will necessitate a sudden large influx of foreigners, the best way to preserve your culture is to purposely spread out the influx and moderate what new elements are acceptable and how. All you have to do is wath anime to see that that's sort of what's happening. The songs and visual art elements that get promoted are picked and provided to the public in a careful way. For example, hip hop is presented as a youth thing focused on creativity and platonic (if sometimes misguided) passion instead of lust and violence or whatever, and it often seems to dovetail with traditional Japanese elements. You can't stop hip hop. You can hijack it and steer it towards acceptable cultural values. (It didn't happen like that in the US because both sides LIKED the fact that it was anti-establishment).
>>
>>15409293
Funny since so much of Japanese culture and religion comes from China and India? Cultures interact with each other. Why this triggers people is beyond me.
>>
>>15401531
Can we all just settle on MexiLeaf born in Japan and raised in space?
>>
>>15402286
Too fucking true
>>
>>15409354
Nice strawman, I didn't advocate for cultural isolationism, I advocated against the kind of cultural erotion produced by mass immigration.
>>
>>15409293
>Maybe you don't care to admit it but multiculturalism is where cultures go die.
Only if you've made yourself uneducated in the subject by never looking into it.
Anyone who's looked at the empirical evidence and watched the news, read history, would know that a lack of pride in the people of a nation/culture is "where cultures go to die".
Every culture that's lost itself in "multiculturalism" are culture/nations that have "atrocities" tied to them in the history books, producing youth more likely to latch to foreign incoming cultures (or even to the extremes of joining a radicalized faction).
It was artificially done in china by Mao, who tried to hide their history/culture to destroy dissidents.
Otherwise, multiculturalism doesn't destroy cultures... most of the modern examples are white cultures, so I'm gonna have to assume that's what your angry about. Not foreigners' fault they feel so little pride in where they come from.
>>
>>15402282
butthurt chick detected
>>
>>15405663
You really don't. It actually helps drive division.
>>
>>15406666

Boss Baby is animated. That alone seems to get asses in seats.

People eat this 3D animation shit up, and bring their kids, which is even more revenue.
>>
>>15406692
every fucking day in new york there were gitsac ads on the subway, on the massive billboards, on the radio, the fuck
>>
>>15402308
Hong Kong's relationship with England and correspondingly the west is instrumental here.

The Great Wall seems like a less colonial situation, but still it is just using a token white protagonist to pander to Americans and Hollywood hegemony
>>
>>15402309
The latter case is happening in Europe too
>>
>>15392633
>Who the fuck were these movies for?
Weebs in the 36-49 year old demographic love the Oshii film. It's their Dragon Ball Z.
Get enough middle-aged jew nerds to pitch this as "ScarJo in bodysuit", and Shirow willing to take money for anything, this was bound to be made sooner or later.
>>
if someone wanted to do a live action GitS, they should have gone to HBO and done like a 12-14 episode show like Westworld. HIgh production, and enough time to explore the story. That's the problem with a live action movie. Even the original movie couldn't cram everything into it's <2 hr running time
>>
>>15411947
Good idea, that would have so sick.
>>
>>15411947
Unfortunately, in a post-TWD existence world, adaptions into series usually either entails changing things because of online spoilers (TWD, The Strain, etc) and/or shovelling filler to stetch the story (The Preacher).
10 years ago, sure, they would have done justice. Now the best shot is a streaming site like Netflix where you can dump a whole season at once.
>>
>>15405663
>It's not that people can only relate to their own race, but that it is very helpful in making you feel included and represented. Japan is 90% Yamato Japanese; their duties in terms of representation are different. America is AT BEST 70% white, but if you break that whiteness down and remove Jewish people, Hispanics, etc, who often identify as those first, America is a ridiculously multiracial country by any standard. But then you go and look at our media and it's white face after white face on TV, on movie posters, on video game covers.
But those same whites can also be broken down in jews, et al.
>>
>>15401232

because Japan got bombed abloo bloo bloo. Nothing bad has ever happened to white people in history! That's sarcasm btw.
>>
>>15410025
I... what?
>>
>>15411353
Nah. It's only divisive for people who expect everything to remain 50s white forever and throw hissy fits if they don't.

I bet you're one of those people who called Obama divisive when he said that a tall skinny black kid with medium brown skin looked like he could be from his family of tall skinny black people with medium brown skin.
>>
>>15411800
Sorta? Wasn't Bruce Lee a slum/street hood though? And then he learned martial arts from traditional teachers. He seems less like an inherently cosmopolitan dude than a very Chinese dude who opened up to a cosmopolitan society
>>
>>15402023
> Americans always like to blame Europe for being cucks, and that's true

We drown people in the Agean,. while you vote another president into power so that he can naturalize more of that delish cheap labour your industrials crave.
>>
>>15414978
Yeah, sorta. But they present themselves (or are presented) as white even if they identify as Jewish, Hispanic, etc. Look at Rashida Jones. She's basically Will Smith's non-biological cousin through her father but most people are super-surprised to find out that she's mixed. She has a sister who is more obviously half-black, and you can see who was encouraged to become a big star.

Our entertainment business has a way it likes people to look which transcends race but is also sort of parodoxically racial. The ideal tends towards whiteness and if a whiter looking person can.play the part they usually win out (or are the one invited to audition in the first place).

I'm saying a lot of thinga here but the one I'd like you to focus on is how HW is always saying that they're not looking for a role to be "ethnic". So here comes a thing that seems tailor-made for an ethnic actress and, nope, they're casting a white chick. So, uh, when ARE they looking for "ethnic" actors? The unspoken answer is, "Certainly not for starring roles or ones where a general audience is supposed to relate to the character." It's, "Sidekicks and kung fu." Which is just... I don't know how you can expect people not to be offended by that. It's insulting on multiple levels.
>>
>>15415777
Obama didn't really keep up that barging into cases where the facts weren't really all out yet very long, did he?

>It's only divisive for people who expect everything to remain 50s white forever and throw hissy fits if they don't.
Who's going to be patronizing your beliefs when you're old? Maybe you should wheel granny into a woodchipper since she has nothing to offer you.
>>
>>15415835
>Obama didn't really keep up that barging into cases where the facts weren't really all out yet very long, did he?
In the sense that that never happened at all in the first place, sure.

>Who's going to be patronizing your beliefs when you're old? Maybe you should wheel granny into a woodchipper since she has nothing to offer you.
Because there's definitely no way for people with nostalgia goggles and irrational fears of net innocuous social changes to acclimate to the world they happen to end up in, right? No therapists, no way to expose yourself to and appreciate the ways the younger generations saw fit to address your generation's fuck ups. No remote controls to turn off Fox News, no car keys to start your fucking Prius to drive down to a school or a library or someplace you can volunteer and maybe develop some empathy with people who still have their hair and/or libido.

I had an older white colleague proudly proclaim to me that racism had gotten so much better since his childhood in Northern Fucking Virginia. Okay, sir. Michael Brown was shot 6 months later. Every time I've met him since he just looks more and more tired. He voted for Trump. I told him about all the things my LGBT and black and non-insane security/defense friends were worried about. He handwaved it. I saw him two weeks ago and all we talked about was his fucking dog. But yeah nigga Obama was the divisive one and it sure was worth it sticking it to him.
>>
>>15402263
>so nah you're alright
?
>>
>>15404140
Yeah but the failure of DBE and Speed Racer are from different things, one had the bad luck of being released together with Iron Man and the other was a goddamn abomnation that starred Spike as an green alienI think
>>
>>15409293
If a culture is not strong enough to retain characteristics through interaction with different cultures, it doesn't deserve to exist in the first place.
>>
>>15417770
>LGBT
Opinion disregarded. Neck yourself for both your sake and ours.
>>
>>15417983
Don't even buy into that bullshit enough to entertain the concept. Those specific "cultures" that produce youths that have no pride in their "culture" enough to latch onto other cultures are those that are commited to history books for fucked up shit.
Can't blame germans or americans for growing up not wanting to be associated with concentration camps or lynching blacks.
Maybe those "cultures" should work on initiatives to bolster pride in their roots instead of just blaming foreigners.
>>
>>15417770
I'm surprised you even replied to that post. I couldn't make heads or tails of that gibberish.
>>
>>15418028
They are not allowed to by law. When removed from the threat of retaliation, they adore these because it means they are strong enough to oppress their will on others.
>>
>>15418055
You went too heavy on the omissions, you're gonna have to write that again without all the blanks.
>>
>>15418070
People fear retaliation more than they desire to take from others.
>>
>>15396812
Nothing happened at Auschwitz though
>>
>>15418106
Still highly ambiguous. Here, I'll use the old post as a template, just fill in the blanks.

>They are not allowed to _____ by law.
>When removed from the threat of retaliation, _____ adore _____ because it means they are strong enough to oppress their will on others.
I feel the first sentence will fill the blanks in the second.
>>
>>15418119
take pride in militarization and killing of those who are not considered the same as themselves
>>
>>15418125
Apart from using "military equipment", hate crimes happen every single day.
>>
>>15418161
And they would happen more often if there was not a fear of retaliation.
>>
>>15405366

Children don't care about color and shit. It isn't until they get older and internalize the habits of their parents and peers that they become exclusionary and abusive.
>>
>>15418178
No, the saturation is pretty fucking high.
Unless, for some reason, you're only counting white-perpetrated (thus cementing that you're refering to whites as the victims of cultural assimulation).
Hispanics murder blacks, blacks murder asians, and even sometimes same-on-same if they represent different "cultures" within the same race.
Thing is, as being someone from Texas, the smart thing is to protect what's yours, not going out looking for someone you hate to waste your ammo on. Though I guess we were lucky on resources and hard-work, so we have less reasons to re-direct our frustrations.
>>
>>15417995
If you don't know any gay people at all, you're the kind of boring, impotent twat I don't have to worry about ignoring the advice of. To participate in public life is to know queers.
>>
>>15418272

>Only gay people are cool

When did you decide this and how is that supposed to matter to anyone but yourself?
>>
>>15418042
I take intentional vagueness bordering on non sequitur as a challange. I suppose it's also courteous to assume that that's what's actually going on, and that they're not just crazy/stupid.
>>
>>15418197
With one caveat: they often do exclude "weird kids." But, true, they don't do it based on the highly specific/arbitrary guidelines of American racial delineations unless taught and bidden by adults.
>>
>>15418285
Nilla I didn't say that. I said
>To participate in public life is to know queers.
>>
>>15418288
Sure, but with that post, I couldn't tell if he was agreeing or disagreeing with you.
Was he trying to say that nobody remembers/ would remember the problem in 30-50s hollywood, as if nobody remembers stuff like 1800s slavery/blowing up asians, or was he simply stating that he's pro-euphemising the elderly. I just don't know.
>>
>>15405663
you sound like a whiny and obnoxious faggot. as an ethnic person myself i never needed some media product to tell me that 'hey your an american here's some token nigger/spic/chink aren't u happy now :)". if you don't feel american because you see lots of white people in advertisements, well I don't want to know a countryman than fucking pathetic.
>>
>>15418296
I'm the other guy, so know that I'm not trying to diminish your points, but that's specifically an urban area thing. Some of us live in suburban or rural areas and that's not so much a normal occurance.
>>
>>15418296

>If you don't know any gay people at all, you're the kind of boring, impotent twat I don't have to worry about ignoring the advice of

It is exactly what you said. If it's not what you meant, you need to choose your words more carefully.
>>
File: 1481252956788.jpg (40KB, 389x361px) Image search: [Google]
1481252956788.jpg
40KB, 389x361px
>>15418272
What an insulting shallow statement. Gays are a minority, there are some places in the US where you can drive 100 miles without seeing a fucking black person, what makes you think there'll be enough gays to make a pride parade in some place in the middle of flyover country.
>>
>>15418323

Words like 'ethic' and 'person of color' always have bothered me because it assumes that anyone that isn't white is one homogeneous mass of things that aren't as important as whites. It divides the entire world into White Guys and The Others.
>>
>>15418391
Hell, it's even insulting to whites by acting as though they're all one homogeneous non-culture.
>>
>>15418391
i used ethnic because i'm a byproduct of east and west fugging
>>
>>15398918
>If they's made it for Deadpool cheap with a no-name Asian actress instead of $carlett Johan$$on
They paid Johansson $10 million to do the movie. If her star power is the difference between grossing $150 million or $160 million, it's worth the money.

>it wouldn't have gotten the shitty race-bait attention
Controversy keeps the press talking about the movie. It's basically free advertising, and the negative impact is minimal. I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount drummed it up themselves.

>and it would have at least broken even on the strength of GITS fans
GITS fans are not a viable audience for a $110 million movie. You could argue that their cult following would recommend the movie to friends, but that hasn't worked out for smaller movies like Dredd.

What people don't understand is that Hollywood is based on multipliers. It's better for a $100 million production to lose $10 million than it is for a $10 million movie to earn $1 million. There's two reasons: The $100 million projects keep more people employed, and every once in a while, your $100 million bet will gross more than the GDP of Liberia.
>>
>>15418378
You likely know one without even realizing it. It's not like every single one is going to be in a pride parade or even want to go to one. Hell I only recently found out I have a gay cousin.
>>
>>15418323
>Implying that fighting a status quo that tries to erase me is weakness
...Yeah, no. There's no need for the mental gymnastics. If I'm invisible in the most prominent representation of Americaness (the stories we tell about America and Americans), it's safe to say that my Americaness is being questioned. Which I find unacceptable.
>>
>>15418344
Nah. You know a gay guy or girl, if you have normal human contact. Whether or not they open to you about it is a different matter. It's not like race where you can shut yourself up in a no-gay enclave. They just go all Brokeback Mountain.

>>15418374
I don't think you're getting the implication that you're a shut-in.
>>
>>15418473
>fighting
>status quo that tries to erase me
good lord, listen to yourself.
these are hollywood movies that no one will fucking remember in a years time.
they're not trying to"erase you", they're trying to get you to buy oversized bags of popcorn and soda. harvey weinstein is not out there personally shooting every goddamn nigger he sees, get over yourself.
america is a capitalist nation, perhaps you should try to stop consuming so much pop culture crap and give your money to people who make movies and documentaries you want to see.
>>
>>15418484
Of course I know gay people, I live in an urban area. I'm just saying, as someone who grew up in a not-quite-rural area, that there's people who live in rural areas that haven't, not because they don't exist, but because the other side of urban-community is rural-privacy. It's kinda not fair to count people they don't actually know are gay.

You're falling into a sandtrap, undermining your points by allowing yourself to be coralled into a tangent. Get back on message, man.
>>
>>15418463
You likely don't unless you're counting every stranger you bump into in public. Last estimation was like <4% of the US population is LGBT and a significant part of that is estimated to be bisexual, not homosexual.
>>
>>15418456
They spent 10% of the budget on her. If that figure is even accurate. It's dumb.

>Controversy keeps the press talking about the movie. It's basically free advertising, and the negative impact is minimal.
That's unrealistically optimistic, bordering on delusion. What actually happened is that the racial controversy did 2 very negative things: it put the fans who would have evangelized to the mainstream about the movie on the defensive (if it didn't turn them off of talking about it altogether), and it primed reviewers to not cut it any slack.

>GITS fans are not a viable audience for a $110 million movie.
Which is why you make a $40 million movie instead. You cut back on the expensive SFX and actors who aren't in it for the love of the property, and you make a movie that's actually fucking entertaining.

>What people don't understand is that Hollywood is based on multipliers. It's better for a $100 million production to lose $10 million than it is for a $10 million movie to earn $1 million. There's two reasons: The $100 million projects keep more people employed, and every once in a while, your $100 million bet will gross more than the GDP of Liberia.
Except that they were hoping for this to open the floodgates on a number of similar projects which are now all but dead in the water. They didn't lose on a $100 million project; they lost on a billion dollar market expansion.
>>
>>15418500
I can't say I'm surprised that a racist anon doesn't have the imagination and critical thinking skills to understand why representation matters, even when it's handed to him on a silver platter... But boy is it disappointing.
>>
>>15418473
This just reeks of typical tumblr low self esteem media obsessed drone whining. You don't have any real self worth or self identity so you have to rely on fiction to give you self worth and identity.

I'm gay but honestly I'm good not seeing myself everywhere. It's nice every now and then but media and storytelling doesn't validate who I am, I validate who I am.
>>
>>15392608

That actually confuses me.

First, they whitewash.
Then, they insert PoC's, gender-variations, and other SJW-pandering stuff.

Make your mind up America.
>>
>>15418529
racial representation only matters to those who pin their identity on the colour of their skin and the media they consume.
i'm shocked someone like you can even stand to watch japanese cartoons if you must have an ethnic quota in a hollywood movie.
>>
>>15418513
So what you're saying is that your decades-old experience with rural social dynamics are outmoded enough to undermine your authority on the matter. Right.

Next time you're home (or, in the area I live right now), open up Grindr and Growlr and tell me what you see.

One last addendum: "rural" living is often a euphemism for "boondocks small town" living, where privacy is nonexistent.
>>
>>15418538
It's usually different people. Hollywood isn't a hivemind.
>>
>>15418545
I'd say it's more that trying to appease both sides is more marketable honestly.
>>
>>15418538
Liberals and Jews don't like asians.
>>
>>15418532
You would sound like you were talking out of your ass a lot less if you were to actually read up on the value of media representation in earnest. Continue on to the value of media and storytelling in general.

You only act like it doesn't mean anything to you because you've never been in a situation where you didn't have it. Or, more importantly, you've never been in a situation where the ideas that the people around you have of you were shaped by inaccurate or nonexistent representation. The fastest cure for this is to be thrust into such a situation, and I've yet to meet an American expat who spent a significant amount of time in Japan or China who didn't have an intimate understanding of this dynamic slap them upside the head.
>>
File: Well.jpg (109KB, 932x567px) Image search: [Google]
Well.jpg
109KB, 932x567px
>>
>>15418543
You do know you've just started insulting the one other guy in the thread that more-or-less agrees with you, right?
I hate to say it, since you're the only other one who's not completely disregarded historic social injustices, but you're just as bad as the kinda-racist anon(s).
Being ignorant or intolerant of the rural "traditional" viewpoint is just as bad as them being ignorant or intolerant of the urban "modern" viewpoint, maybe a little worse since "tolerance" isn't something they supposedly are about.
As a fringe outlier, I get the "mixed" or etc guys who are more annoyed by you than the racists, because at least they aren't speaking for them, and there's nothing shittier than being told what you think or believe.
Unfortunately, this whole argument is moot, the two sides of the coin are equally terrible and everyone inbetween are just annoyed.
>>
>>15418570
That's before you factor in marketing costs, and theater cut. It needs to make quite a bit more to actually break even.
>>
>>15418570
That's a piss poor showing for a high profile film.
>>15418565
I don't need to read your media studies 1100 text to know that media representation is a non-issue compared to other far more drastic issues.
>>
>>15418542
Racial representation matters to people who live in societies where media representation shapes other people's views of you. Every time a stranger assumes I smoke weed or don't have a degree because I have dreadlocks, I'm reminded why diverse representation matters. People take cues off the media they consume, period.

Anime is a small part of the media landscape in America, so it doesn't matter so much. The ironic part is that the shows that actually get broadcast are often more diverse than American media as a whole.
>>
>>15418555
Tons of asians don't like liberals.
You ever see a /pol/ meetup? 90% chinks and shitskins.
>>
>>15418591
You tell 'em, Cletus. What good's them book learnins anyhow.
>>
>>15418565
Real role models are far healthier for kids. They mean a lot more to them too. They effect them in better ways. I like seeing gay characters every now and then but I don't really need it to feel good about myself. Focusing on media is a terrible thing. Focus on expanding real role models for kids and giving them access to real people to talk to and relate to. Also burying yourself in media is a strong sign of depression and low self esteem.

>>15418600
I really hate liberals too honestly.
>>
>>15418593
People are hardwired to make impressions of other people upon first visual contact. It might be unfair, but if you have tattoos, a weird haircut, piercings or dress out of the norm, people will take notice. Its sort of the reason why professional dress codes are still extremely widespread, because if the first impression someone makes of an employee is negative, it'll affect business.
>>15418603
I'm about as far from a white trash redneck as can be lmao.
>>
>>15418578
While I appreciate the support, I only provide it in-kind when it means I'll be backing up something I agree with.
>>
>>15418570
You are forgetting to factor the marketing costs and the issue of film theaters taking 50% of the revenue.
>>
>>15418600
Nice aryan legion you guys got going over there.

But I'm not surprised, I swear I've met more conservative asians than whites. They're usually not upfront about it but when politics comes up they seem distinctly conservative, especially on immigration issues and taxes.
>>
>>15418622
This isn't about role models. This is about the instincitve way humans (adults, children, whatever) use stories to fill in holes in their social schemas. It's automatic. You can't not do it. The only thing you can do is moderate the content of those stories and to tey to be mindful of the way they affect your view of the world, which is difficult because it's often extremely subtle or built up over a long time.
>>
>>15418623
Where do you think most people learn the association between dreadlocks and drugs? I bet you it's not from having met a Rastafarian.
>>
>>15418638
No kidding.
A friend of mine is a Viet immigrant but his facebook feed is filled with likes to Milo reposts, Trump memes, and various second amendment groups.
>>
>>15418623
>I'm about as far from a white trash redneck as can be lmao.
I'm sure your parents are very proud of your anti-intellectualism, regardless.
>>
File: 1490058370849.jpg (40KB, 425x461px) Image search: [Google]
1490058370849.jpg
40KB, 425x461px
>>15418657
I'm not anti intellectual because I disagree with you, am I?
>>
What I find funny is how westerners would rather engage in identity politics than participate in issues like poverty or limited education in less developed countries. Asian from a third world country here and I care way more about figuring out how to pay for the month's rent and college fees than I do about some westerner's assumptions about my country.
>>
>>15418672
In America if you want to discuss education and healthcare you are a communist.
>>
>>15418675
Or a right wing neonazi
>>
>>15418675
Because when it comes up people only want communist solutions. Free anything is like public restrooms. It's nice in theory but when you let everyone use it you get a lot of people who just ruin it for everyone, and often times deliberately. Then you have to pour money into keeping it clean and maintained and unless you want it to turn into a hellhole you're at the mercy of the companies providing cleaning services.
>>
>>15418484

I work with several gays. The point is, you are fucking your own argument by acting like some token bullshit about homosexuality equating value means anything to anyone.
>>
>>15418593

People judging you by your appearance is your own problem. If you know someone is going to associate negative stereotypes to the way you present yourself, and choose not to change, you gotta fuckin' deal. Grow some balls or cut your hair.
>>
>>15418570
The rule of thumb for movies is that it has to make twice it's listed budget to be considered profitable. Maybe even more if it's a high profile movie

There are plenty of movies that make it over the listed budget (Fembusters, Fant4stic, Green Lantern, etc) but they are considered flops because they weren't able to make an actual profit
>>
>>15418683
True, my country has the best healthcare system in the world but Jesus the amount of money poured into it is astounding.

>5.628 euro per person every year

Still worth it though: your health is the most important thing 95 billion can buy.
>>
>>15418660
You're anti-intellectual because you disparage formal study.
>>
>>15418672
Part of the reason Americans don't care about those things is because of destructive ideas about people who aren't white and Christian.
>>
>>15418853
You're proving the actual point I made. Of course the straw man you set up is easily knocked over, but then, I wasn't arguing it.
>>
>>15418872
Right. I'll just shave my head, get a nose job, and learn to head waggle so people will give me shit for being Sri Lankan instead of black.
>>
>>15419161
>~$6k a year for all medical expenses
That is literally a couple of imaging tests and an outpatient surgery here.
>>
>mfw this thread is still up
Why are you faggots still arguing over this? No shit GITS was gonna tank since it's a rendition of Jap stories that only make sense to them. The racebenders made this even worse by their complaining.

As for Power Rangers, it's guaranteed to have a sequel because Tommy will be in it and this film got a lot of love from fans. Even if it's in the red, Saban and Lionsgate will push for another movie.
>>
>>15419815
To be fair that's like two people getting healthcare from their employer. For a middle-class person in the US getting insurance with their employer it's a lot.
>>
>>15419851
>it's a rendition of Jap stories that only make sense to them

This is what a retarded "asian american" SJW blogger said and Oshii fucking Mamoru went on record to BTFO him.

Why are you repeating what that retarded blogger said?
>>
>>15419851
>it's a rendition of Jap stories that only make sense to them.
Not quite sure what you mean. Most of the plot/style of the manga/movie were aped off western fiction/movie(s).
>>
>>15420125
You clearly haven't read the manga... It just borrows philosophy and general intellectual masturbation from cyberpunk literature. It's not western in style at all.
>>
>>15420130
You clearly haven't read neuromancer if you think it's "general intellectual masterbation from cyberpunk literature", since anyone who knows their shit knows it's all from one specific source.
>>
File: I'M FINE.png (158KB, 412x384px) Image search: [Google]
I'M FINE.png
158KB, 412x384px
Why is there so much /pol/ in this thread?
>>
>>15420214
It's quite difficult to get rid of cancer like /pol/.
>>
File: IMG_1508.jpg (154KB, 1409x775px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1508.jpg
154KB, 1409x775px
>>15418603
You just made a massive assumption about that anon based off his opinions and spread the negative stereotype of white southerners being dumb hicks. You're a racist hypocrite and your opinion can be safely disregarded.
>>
File: 1E9E57B6.png (461KB, 1280x761px) Image search: [Google]
1E9E57B6.png
461KB, 1280x761px
>>15419782
Well that's quite funny since I just completed a couple years worth of post secondary school in an arts program.
But yes, I'm anti intellectual because I don't think people need to take a course on pop cultural masturbation to be cultured.
>>
File: 1279387288350.jpg (47KB, 884x670px) Image search: [Google]
1279387288350.jpg
47KB, 884x670px
>>15401225
>>15401232
>>15405160
>>
>>15396866
The Guyver movies were a labor of love and even though the first one was crap you can see there was a lot of effort put into it especially in the actual suit. In fact Guyver 1 and 2 share the same producer and director so it's more than likely 1 was just a case of extreme executive meddling that ruined it.
>>
File: 1455897786021.jpg (22KB, 282x302px) Image search: [Google]
1455897786021.jpg
22KB, 282x302px
>>15405160
>Nobody except Japanese people can relate to sentai characters.
>>
>>15392599
hey, we don't want this shit either
>>
>>15420214
/m/ is /pol/ with robots and men in body suits.
>>
Is this the GitS thread or is it the other one? Ugh.

>I watched the film subbed last week and dubbed in Japanese today. Aside from Aramaki/Beat Takeshi it's the anime cast (the correct one, not Arise's). The results are pretty good, and I can confidently say that live action GitS dubbed is a better entry in the series than fucking Arise.
>I thought the film was okay. The controversy REALLY seems manufactured, and the arrogant bullshit I've seen from yanks saying that Japanese staff (Oshii included) and fans don't mind the casting becausethey "worship white people" or of "internalised racism" seems far more racist than anything this film did. That being said it's visually inferior to the first Oshii movie and the plot is mediocre. Why the fuck is it an origin story? Motoko never needed an origin story.
>Would have looked forward to sequels free of origin story shit but given how it bombed in the US I guess that won't be happening.
>>>15422915
>Ironically, the most common complaint about the casting coming from Japanese fans is about Aramaki/Beat Takeshi. Besides being way more out of character than anyone else, all of his lines are delivered via barely-audible mumbling and people are saying that he should have been dubbed/subbed over (only English subtitles for his lines in the subbed version).
>>
>>15392599
Hollywood won't learn
>>
>>15393633
The movie has insurance against failure. That's why Hollywood vomits out so much garbage. The execs, principal directors, and actors all got paid regardless. And the studio can write the loss off on their taxes. They wouldn't keep releasing such obvious garbage if there wasn't a benefit.
>>
>>15404140
Speed Racer's one of my guilty pleasures DESU
>>
>>15392599
Yeah, live action shit always turns out awful.
>>
>>15418391
>it assumes that anyone that isn't white is one homogeneous mass of things that aren't as important as whites. It divides the entire world into White Guys and The Others.

>what white people really think: the post.
>>
>>15393629
>Japan is some sacred place that has the know-how of how to make these stories work.

Exactly , Japan has made their share of crappy live action adaptions
>>
>>15393676
>Is direct-to-Netflix or whatever not a viable platform?

They have a few J Dramas exclusive to Net flix
>>
>>15392599
In some hours I'm going to see GitS and this isn't a good sign, even if I know it's going to suck
>>
>>15431644
Honestly, it's a decent popcorn flick if all you care about is pretty visuals and disregard any knowledge of GitS and turn off your brain when watching it.

It really shouldn't have been a goddamn origin story though; that was a horrible decision and it didn't need one. Anybody who was going to see it was probably going to be aware of the concept at least, as it was never going to pull in big numbers.
>>
>>15402023
>Japan is a homogeneous country

The Japanese themselves are culturally diverse

these ethnocentric weabos man....
Thread posts: 289
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.