[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, I've to get this out of my chest first: Merchandises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (129KB, 1084x486px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
129KB, 1084x486px
Ok, I've to get this out of my chest first: Merchandises decide wether a mecha series will at least have a legacy or not. Think of Macross, Gundam, and Evangelion.

With that said, how can a studio success in making a show that would launch a new toy franchise?

Good storyline, good visual, good characters are given, but I want to dig a bit deeper than that. For example, what kind of mecha design would really attract the intended demography (men over 15)? Or should the studio keep a steady stream of supplemental materials to keep the fandom entertained?

So how does /m/ think of this?
>>
>>15377518
I'm interested in this as well.

I'm a character designer and I always look to Pokemon as the absolute pinnacle of character design, because, essentially, that franchise is literally just the characters. You could destroy all Pokemon video games, cards and toys and they would still exist in the memories of those who love them. Gundam is similar but not quite the same. There's a dissonance wherein Pokemon is without shame for all ages to like where Gundam is sort-of-mature-but-not-really.

But I think something along those lines. Something about collectability and cross-media appearance. Like what Inafune was trying to do with Mighty No.9; people these days like legacy and variety - which are hard to sell people on when you're starting from scratch.
>>
>>15377518
Well, its a complex matter and if the people who do this for a living couldnt figure it out I cant either.

That said, here are my two cents on it

As>>15377530 said, designs are an important aspect and I 100% agree with the pokemom example (both humans and mons).
Then there's the lore. People these days seem to buy not so much the product but also the world it takes place. This is partially where the star wars on head and on screen dissonance comes from. Even times where the product itself is bad are forgiven if the world is well detailed. That should be taken into account.

Now going more into your question op, a new concept is key. Part of the reason the most popular ips exist is because they started in a time where they had little to no competition. And you need a new concept if you want to make a big impact. Just making a good mecha show with a good mecha toyline wont cut it anymore(at least, if you want something long lasting), you need a good "concept". You have mecha, combining mecha, transforming mecha and the like, playing in those fields means fighting the big players and probably loose to them(on the long run at least, I mean, sure, I can make a transforming robot line that might outsell transformers this year but it wont exist in 10 years and transformers will). A new concept might not mean sure success but its the bare minimum to do to stand a chance. THEN there's the matter of the show, game or whatever you make to promote it.
There are, of course, plenty of exceptions to all I said though. Digimon is not popular for its original concept to the point it has been lost and it became more focused on world building and stories.
>>
>>15377530
>There's a dissonance wherein Pokemon is without shame for all ages to like
This only developed in the 2010s when that generation got old enough to not be self conscious. Before then, if you were playing Pokemon in High School or College you got fucking called out
>>
>>15378096
That's from consumer's pov, the anon means franchise's pov.
>>
flashy colors, humanoid design, maybe add transformation gimmick
put out a series every year to make people believe it's popular
add lots of plot holes and no sense making stuff so autists can discuss it to no end
pretty much just make not-Gundam/Transformers
>>
Kids fucking love primary colors (red, blue, yellow)

Combine that with simple yet cool geometric shapes/patterns and BAM you got a smashing success
>>
>>15378623
>>15378635
Sadly, this. Also add a nonsensical cute toy talking whatever mascot character and token gay/trangender/other minority character. And waifus. Let me repeat, WAIFUS.

Something witty yet easy to understand and consume in large quantities. Writing that seems inteligent at the first glance, but regurgitates current political and social issues in a way that pleases the mass cattle.

Main character get's powerful mecha/superpowers/whatever instantly without making even a semblance of an effort, is decent at making use of it yet still has the room for growth, as to preserve the illlusion of progress along the way.

>(men over 15)
Uh, didn't notice that. It doesn't make much difference though, I guess. At what age spectrum does shonen really end and seinen start anyway?
>>
As a counterpoint, take a look at Fafner. The mecha designs were memorable, but was designed to be as un-toyetic as possible.
And they succeeded.
As a result, despite having its own dedicated fanbase, it relied almost entirely on DVD sales, and couldn't gather enough funds to produce a 2nd season for nearly a decade.
>>
>>15378096
>playing Pokemon in college or high school before 2010 got you called out
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh GOD no. You couldn't be more off the mark.
>>
>>15380784
About 18 give or take. Its not a clear line.

>>15380821
>first year of high school
>be seen playing pokemon tcg
>stop playing it that same year
>known as the pokemon card guy the remainder of high school(not in an offensive way though)

He wasnt off the mark at all anon.
>>
>>15380784
>token gay/trangender/other minority character.
This is more a western thing. The Japanese really don't give a shit about this.
>>
>>15380820
Being un-toyetic sure won't stop people from trying. Just look at the Dynamic Change Shin Getter Robo. That thing couldn't even properly transform in the show without some magic shape shifting, but that didn't stop someone from trying to make a real life transforming Shin Getter.
>>
>>15377518
I have no idea, but I would kill for titanfall to be a massive franchise, especially now that it's more fleshed out. I love so many of those designs.
>>
>>15380784
>Sadly
Neck.
>>
> cross-media appearance

WOTC couldn't into this with MTG. They squandered the whole thing with the manga, and Chandra.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.