[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about mecha anime that people find unappealing? When

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

What is it about mecha anime that people find unappealing? When I talk to other anime fans it seems mecha is the one genre they can't get into.
>>
File: all-star-mecha.jpg (2MB, 2683x1898px) Image search: [Google]
all-star-mecha.jpg
2MB, 2683x1898px
>>15356507
Wrong idea of what the genre is.
You know, when someone comes up to you and paints the picture of all of mecha to be badly animated, painfully episodic, and plotless toy commercials from the 1960s and 70s, it really doesn't surprise me they're not all that much into the idea.

Meanwhile, natural inraction with mecha through Code Geass, FMP!, Escaflowne, occassional Gundam show, Eureka Seven,... usually ends up well.
>>
>>15356535
I was able to get one friend at least casually into mecha through Valvrave and it definitely got him open-minded. After that he was willing to trudge through Buddy Complex with me and got some kind of strange enjoyment out of Cross Ange. Code Geass worked obviously, another friend of mine enjoyed that but he's still stubbornly anti-mecha. Haven't found one person who didn't enjoy Gunpla Builders.
>>
>>15356507
I knew someone who didn't want to watch mecha shows because he "couldn't take them seriously after watching Evangelion".
>>
>>15356507
Because the idea of giant robots is too implausible.

Now excuse me while I go watch my show about a teenager in a world that happens to be exactly the same as a video game right down to using an RPG stat system
>>
>>15356507
For reference, what do they watch? I have the same problem, and they never watch anything but HxH, JoJo, One Piece, or the latest tumblr flavor of the month.
>>
>>15356715
Sounds more or less like the tastes of some of my robot hating friends.
>>
>>15356715
>I have the same problem, and they never watch anything but HxH, JoJo, One Piece, or the latest tumblr flavor of the month.
Shounenfags are the scum of the earth. They probably post on /a/ too.
>>
>>15356715
I don't know you or anything, but that sounds like
>They never give mecha a chance because they are bussy give currently airing crap the I'll never waste my time checking.
You know, kettle and pot and stuff
>>
File: 1483715973967.jpg (395KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483715973967.jpg
395KB, 1280x720px
Broad dismissal of a genre due to preconceived notions of a lack of quality isn't something that only occurs to mecha.
>>
>>15356772
Is one of them obsessed with Hitman Reborn?
>>
>>15356507
Many western anime fans have some kind of complex that forces them to watch only shows that are "mature" or "realistic" and presence of giant robots pushes a series past that point. It's a stupid stance to have especially when other series are accepted far more readily.

But that's just a minor part of it. The truth is, most people will watch or at least give anything a try as long as it's sold to them with enough hype.

And y'all suck at generating hype in a normie-friendly way. When recommending a show to watch, most /m/ anons come off either as more autistic than Kamille or as massive grognards who hate everything made after 1990/anything that has girls and moe in it.

Remember that 20th century boys page, with the old guy raging that the girl called Tetsujin a Gundam? That's how mecha fans are perceived by others, and that reputation didn't come from nowhere.
>>
>>15356581
GBF is a good stealth way to get them into mecha.
>>
>>15356856
No, fucking Sword Art though.
>>
>>15356826
This
>>15356865
And this. Simply saying that one doesn't wants to because it doesn't appeals them is considered not good enough, you end getting labelled as simpleton, in other words a person with lowbrow taste . So they end up giving some contrived bullshit to sound like someone who can talk about literature and commercial moving pictures in same breath.
>>
>>15356507
Partly this >>15356535 and partly us.

>>15356826
What bothers me is less the dismissal but the fact that many of them will praise the one or two shows in the genre that they've seen and yet hate everything else that is similar to, inspired it, or referenced by the show despite never giving any of those shows a shot. TTGL fans who "hate mecha" in particular infuriate me.
>>
>>15356507
I have no idea whatsoever
I'd never watched robots besides western shows, but I had no problems at all getting into gundam 0079 for example
>>
File: mecha is a dirty word.jpg (314KB, 985x963px) Image search: [Google]
mecha is a dirty word.jpg
314KB, 985x963px
>>15356507
Oversaturation of the genre with the legitimately good shows being buried underneath mountains of garbage shows, making it difficult to navigate by newcomers.

It also doesn't help that the rabid fandom around some of those shows have the opposite effect of turning people away from them.
>>
>>15358548
>Oversaturation of the genre with the legitimately good shows being buried underneath mountains of garbage shows
that's basically all of anime, if not all of entertainment
>>
>>15356507
technophobia
>>
>>15360503
this, westerners hate technology.
>>
>>15363919
this is also true
>>
>>15358548
>"These things aren't mecha, they're something totally new and different"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhaha
>>
>>15363919
>>15360503
Seriously, what the fuck, why are there so many luddite fucks one the americas? Even when I go to yurope I don't have to deal with many technologically inept people like I do when I have to go to burgerlandia.

What is it that makes people hate technology so much?
>>
upper-middle class sensibilities, same reason heavy metal is considered "childish." anything obviously awesome is overly base or on the wrong side of history or something

or maybe it's because of gundam. they wanna start with gundam instead of some obscure /m/, so they ask which is the best gundam, people say zeta, so they watch zeta but it turns out to be really shitty and badly written just like every other gundam
>>
For me personally I thought watching shows with 50+ episodes was a waste of time, which mecha shows tend to have, but after getting into it I prefer longer shows to 13 episode shit
>>
File: 1473461423238.jpg (277KB, 796x777px) Image search: [Google]
1473461423238.jpg
277KB, 796x777px
>>15356715
>>15356797
Considering the number of mecha series that are made for the shounen demographic and the number of common tropes and elements (especially for super robot shows), you'd think it would be different.

I've suggested Gaiking LODM to someone I know that was a big fan of Hunter x Hunter and that religiously followed One Piece. Nen in Hunter x Hunter or a fucking shape shifting reindeer is totally cool but giant robots were so unrealistic he couldn't make it past the second episode.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.