[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Power Rangers still be a thing if Saban had used Jetman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: Jetman.jpg (73KB, 736x538px) Image search: [Google]
Jetman.jpg
73KB, 736x538px
Would Power Rangers still be a thing if Saban had used Jetman as the first season?
>>
Would be popular enough for another season but not hugely popular to justify reusing the suits. Might become a SAME AS IT EVER WAS when they adapt Zyu thou.
>>
Better question: what if Stan Lee succeeded in bringing Sun Vulcan over?
>>
>>15346999
No because it would've been seen as a 'rip off' of Battle of the Planets
The dinosaur theme combined with Jurrasic Park is the entire reason PR caught on compared to VR Troopers or Beetle Borgs
>>
>>15346999
It would get called a Gatchaman ripoff because people are super stupid.
>>
>>15347209
This is probably a much more interesting exercise, if Marvel had hit the sentai formula in the USA back in the day, considering the endless drama at Marvel HQ that a steady income stream like a Power Rangers might have helped avoid.
What would have been the ownership status of Marvel along those points anyway? I think I remember vaguely from Jim Shooter's blog that they got passed around a bit.

I can think of a very specific thing in that if Marvel's stocks never tanked Tate's Comics might never have existed.
If I remember my legends correctly Tate invested in shit-level Marvel stock and sold after the company got back on its feet to get his store off the ground.

If Tate's Comics never existed it would change a lot probably.

Hell, without Saban's bullshit about not just dubbing it like everything before, the entire landscape of Asian media on US tv might have turned out different.
>>
>>15347321
I just said that nigga
>>15347240
Face it, JP made PR what it is. I mean, that was my motivation as a kid and I'm sure I'm not alone
>>
I still wanna see Saban's Bioman adaptation pilot.
>>
>>15347209
>edgy Sun Vulcan in the MCU with Nick Fury booting them up after the fall of sheild
>>
>>15347240
Riding the dinosaur hypetrain helped but I think Power Rangers extreme violence is what really made it a success. Plenty of Dinosaur things faltered during the post JP-era. There were a lot of shitty Dinosaur things that didn't take off.

Zyuranger really was the perfect blend for Saban. The dinosaurs, the violence, the great design aesthetic, a good toyline, and Dragon Ranger. Everything worked strongly in their favor.
>>
>>15347429
is there any evidence it was any more than just the existing Bioman English dub at the pilot stage?
>>
>>15347209
Would've been a minor cult hit that eventually gets more sentai brought to the west a decade or two later after fan outcry.
>>
File: XVofchi.gif (3MB, 435x398px) Image search: [Google]
XVofchi.gif
3MB, 435x398px
>>15347626
>Power Rangers extreme violence
What?
>>
>>15348276
Dunno about other nations but in the US it was actually incredibly violent for a kid's show at the time. Hell most kid shows back then didn't even let you see a character land a punch the screen would usually do something like flash white for a brief moment to hide it.
>>
>>15348289
>flash white for a brief moment
To this day I hate watching older shows because of that. Nothing is more annoying that seeing a white flash the instant an attack is supposed to land.

>>15348276
yeah, in '96 Al Gore himself called it out for being overly violent.
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-01/local/me-20292_1_entertainment-industry
>>
>>15348289
>>15348298
>flash white for a brief moment
Do current WB cartoons still do that? It's like they want to give kids seizures.
>>
File: rolling_vulcan_power_bazooka.jpg (256KB, 1108x412px) Image search: [Google]
rolling_vulcan_power_bazooka.jpg
256KB, 1108x412px
>>15346999
>Would Power Rangers still be a thing if Saban had used Jetman as the first season?
Probably not. Jetman is really good, but the Dinossaur theme in 1993 was better, the Zyuranger suits and enemies are superior, got the sixth member and Saban would probably discard the rivalry between Black x Red (the spotlight of the show).

On the other hand, if we are talking about other shows, the military x aliens conflicts from Changeman (focus on military) or Flashman (focus on aliens) were WAY BETTER than Jetman for a PR show.
>>
>>15347209
>>15347339
Think about this, there is a good chance that it would end up a licensed comic like Rom, Godzilla, and Transformers, so while they would have been cannon and crossover with everything else in Marvel, they would never be seen again once the comic's run ended.

However, they would still be able to use any and all OC characters and lore added in by Marvel just like Death's Head and The Space Knights.In theory, if Marvel created on OC sentai team in that time they would still be in comics to this day.
>>
>>15348821
Only if they introduced them in a Marvel title.

Death Head, Circuit Breaker and other original concepts were almost all introduced in Marvel-owned titles specifically so Marvel could retain the rights later on.

They likely would have done the same thing with Sentai. Though if Stan himself was doing the Sun Vulcan comic there would have been no way in hell Marvel wouldn't have out Jewed Toei for the franchise's ownership.
>>
File: 3421552-death+head.jpg (589KB, 1252x542px) Image search: [Google]
3421552-death+head.jpg
589KB, 1252x542px
>>15348821
>Death's Head
Death's Head would work really great for a series.
Easy to do a metal hero type guy in a suit and freelance peacekeeping agent stories have a ton of easy stories.
Hopefully it would be closer to his old design. I'm not really feeling the current one too much, but at least it's not Death's Head II.
>>
>>15348441
I'd say Liveman could have worked as well or Maskman. Liveman's story would likely end up toned down but could still a show about "teenagers with attitude"
>>
>>15350579
>we will never see a world where Marvel got their own sentai series and Death's Head is the right hand man to the main villain

I didn't know I wanted this until today.
>>
>>15350798
>Marvel
>sentai series

dear god no
>>
>>15350929
We're talking about a Marvel different from the one we know today.

Think back to when the X-men were good and they fought giant robots.
>>
If they made it stupid enough, sure.
>>
>>15347531
That actually would've been pretty cool imo
>>
>>15346999
Dinosaurs were invented by jews to make money, zyuranger just fit perfectly with how cool dinosaurs were at the time.
>>
It probably would have been popular still.
>>
>>15347640
There was a Bioman english dub by the Filipinos.

But Saban has been swiping across the internet to delete ANY VIDEOS RELATED TO IT.
>>
File: 711h+8OKk4L._SY445_.jpg (56KB, 266x445px) Image search: [Google]
711h+8OKk4L._SY445_.jpg
56KB, 266x445px
>>15353708
we have a dub here in France and even a DVD boxset
>>
File: 1490324903897.jpg (50KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
1490324903897.jpg
50KB, 750x421px
>>
>>15346999
Why so many people jerk off to Jetman? is not on the top 5.
>>
>>15354634
Because some people like it more than you do, and there is no narrative justifying it beyond that that you can use to pretend that you're special for not having a high opinion of it.
>>
>>15346999
The robots were not as cool. Actually, they were kinda boring.
>>
>>15348289

Hell, he's right! I remember the Spider-man cartoon, where Spidey WAS NOT ALLOWED TO THROW A PUNCH.

It's bizarre. No-one could actually hit anyone else.
>>
>>15354614
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmGRtnZhVRA
>>
>>15346999
Dinosaurs are more profitable than birds in the 90s.

Maybe if they emphasize "Freedom" on every episode, it might be successful
>>
>>15346999
Why is the pink Rangers outfit the only one who's colors are inverted?
>>
>>15354889
Because her color's supposed to be white, and the regular trim color's already white, so it's replaced with pink.
Same with how sentais with yellow trims have weird odd-one-out yellow member designs.
>>
>>15348276
American shows at the time was just getting out of the "violence on children's tv" phase. Looney Tunes, Ninja Turtles, classic Disney shit like Ducktales and Goof Troop, these were going to the wayside to make room for Nick Jr. edutainment type of stuff in an effort to use television as a nurturing device for the young.
And then BAM Saban drops Power Rangers on all the young fools out there, where the high school bullies were getting their shit stomped and teenagers were killing niggas with all sorts of weaponry while actual fucking sparks were flying out of their wounds and everybody exploding to death. The big difference between Power Rangers and all those previously mentioned shows? Power Rangers was live action, that meant that you couldn't simply classify the action as cartoon violence because these were real people doing (supposedly) real things to each other. If all you had to compare to it was Yogi Bear and Scooby Doo you could not watch this show without going apeshit at how much action was going around.
>>
>>15354895
It's just really off. I wish they had just made it pink with the rest being white.
>>
>>15354961
>>15354889
>>15354895
Because its a live action rip-off of Gatchaman.
>>
File: 1475590989725.jpg (37KB, 349x243px) Image search: [Google]
1475590989725.jpg
37KB, 349x243px
>>15354966
Anon, it was INSPIRED by Gatchaman
>>
>>15350798
Marvel had co-production rights from Battle Fever J to Sun Vulcan as part of an cross licensing deal that allowed for Toei Spiderman. BF actually started as an Captain America Adaption where Japan would greceve "Captain Japan" there own version of Cap but it expanded in to a full team of Japanese ethnic people raised in multi able countries who fought in a national dance themed Martial art style Marvel under stan lee kept trying until Sun Vulcan to sett the shows in the us with Vulcan almost getting on HBO but Lobe who was doing the selling kept getting laughed out. Saban was trying since Bioman and basically kept recuting his Bioman pitch video to splice in the current Super sentai series while keeping the us insert elements and the ranger names the one that got MMPR bought and sits on the shout DVD set as an egg still has one bioman clip in it and the ranger are still called by the bioman colors as Zack is refured to as a green ranger but shows the black Mammoth Ranger. Even alpha 5 was ment to be a rename of the Bioman robot buddy and use that suit. He managed to get lucky with Zyuranger being themed to Dino's with JP coming out the year before and walking it to FOX Kids network who at the time was run by the same woman who worked ar marvel and pitched there Sun Vulcan adaption. and history was made.
>>
>>15346999

I don't see it changing much. A lot of the success was marketing. It really didn't matter what sentai they called Power Rangers

>>15347321

As opposed to being called a Voltron ripoff.
>>
>>15346999
Nope
>>
>>15347240
MMPR was seen as a Voltron ripoff when it first aired from what I remember.

Saban lucked out that Jurassic Park was made in 1993 and Zyuranger just finished. Otherwise PR wouldn't have made a big splash. It would've been parodied like Dynaman was on Nickelodeon Special Delivery.
>>
>>15360634
this
>>
>>15361890
>MMPR was seen as a Voltron ripoff when it first aired from what I remember.
I don't recall anybody sharing my view but I nerd raged about how this Voltron ripoff a shit as a kid.
>>
>>15364068
>
how?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.