[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decided I'm gonna watch this. Should I watch the series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

Decided I'm gonna watch this. Should I watch the series or the movies?
>>
>>15343907
Series then 2nd movie. Also: don't.
>>
No it's shit don't watch it.

Unless you like predictable plotlines, paper thin characters and bad mecha choreography.
>>
>>15343917
>bad mecha choreography
Nice meme
>>
File: Tengen_Toppa_Solvernia_I.png (614KB, 500x718px) Image search: [Google]
Tengen_Toppa_Solvernia_I.png
614KB, 500x718px
>>15343907
Series until the time-skip, then the second movie.

>Why?
Post time-skip there is a long melancholic passage that's very much a homage to Evangelion, Ideon and other "thought provoking" toy promotion cartoons... it feels like a fist in the eye compared to the rest and you have tons of people outright dropping the show for it.
Movies simply cut it up, reassemble it with much less of that bullshit and add more fun stuff into the later parts.
>>
>>15343907
The movies aren't really a substitute for the series, they're more like additional eye candy after finishing the series. The movies expect you to know the plot to fill in the gaps.
>>
>>15343917
Let's be real: everybody here likes those, otherwise nobody would post here.
>>
>>15343941
>that's very much a homage to Evangelion, Ideon and other "thought provoking" toy promotion cartoons
Neck.
>>
>>15343948
It's not my fault you're an utter pleb who is retarded enough to see anything aside from fancy-sounding gibberish behind these series.
>>
Watch the series then the movies, or just don't watch the movies.
>>
>>15343927
Show me one good fight that didn't involve constantly interrupting the opponent with grandiose meanginless speeches, and simplistic tug of wars.

TTGL has one of the weakest mecha choreography as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>15343980
Then you never fucking watched Zeorymer
>>
Watch the series. The movies aren't really important, and don't have much to offer besides all the crazy crap that happens at the end of the second one. If you really liked the series, then maybe check them out after.
>>
>>15343907

Awesome show. Watch the series, then watch the second movie. (First movie is just a recap of the series.)
>>
>>15343907
As the other anon's said, definitely watch the series. It's practically a classic at this point.
>>
>>15343980
>Show me one good fight that didn't involve constantly interrupting the opponent with grandiose meanginless speeches

If you hate that you must hate all of mecha.
>>
>>15344112
it's really not.

it's as bad as the works of lazy matsumoto
>>
It's not as bad as people say here, but it itsn't a masterpiece. It's a 6/10
>>
Okay, I might go under fire here, but fuck it, might as well. Despite the fact that I have a good number of mecha anime under my belt, and despite the fact that I've read all of Getter Robo and watched all the OVAs...

Gurren Lagann is my favorite mecha anime.

Don't get me wrong, I love Getter Robo. It's one of my favorite manga, and I understand why it gets nothing but praise. But for some reason I still prefer Gurren Lagann. It takes ideas and elements from a lot of other mecha anime, sure, but it's meant to be a celebration of the genre. And honestly? I think it does a damn fine job. It's not the best thing since sliced bread, and it hasn't done anything for the genre at all save for renewing interest in the genre, but goddamn if I don't find it emotional, inspiring, and just fun. And I don't think a whole lot can change that.

Oh, yeah, the movies are compilations, but the beginning of the first one spoils some things from the second half. The new animation is really nice, though. Just watch the show first, then watch the movies if you liked it.
>>
>>15344181
If you liked the Getter OVAs and can't see how weak the fights in TTGL are, then you just have shit taste.

TTGL has good production values, but that's about it. The story is boring and gets shit in the second half, the characters are dull, the comedy is hit and miss, the robots look like rejects.

>emotional
I find Naruto more emotional than TTGL, and I don't even like Naruto.
>inspiring
The speeches are devoid of any substance. Again, I even found the dull Naruto speeches (lol same eyes XD) to have more weight than whatever the fuck they were saying in TTGL.

>fun
I'd rather watch Daimidaler. At least here it doesn't have the pretense of being some epic drama. Watching cute girls getting groped is still more fun than whatever TTGL had.
>>
>>15344393
No need to make silly arguments like that, if you don't like TTGL, then you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>15343907
It's a fun ride but it's very flawed and falls apart in the second half. As the one anon is pointing out its got pretty bad choreography, fights are pretty one dimensional and nothing that great to look at. The only time anything interesting happens in fights almost every time, if not plainly every time, they basically drew over animation frames of other attacks like how in the finale when TTGL throws galaxies it's pretty much the exact same animation as double tomahawk boomerang. The characters are also pretty flat, only Simon really has a personality that isn't one dimensional and wafer thin but the issue with him is his arc competes in the first half and he just stagnates for the rest of the show.

Despite all these flaws it's a fun ride that I think is worth checking if you have any interest. It's like a 5 or a 6 out of 10. If you don't like the second half just drop it and watch the 2nd movie.

>>15344181
You like what you like, you probably watched it first I'm assuming and that can contribute to it. There's nothing wrong with liking almost anything, as long as you can admit it's natural flaws and aren't being a blind fan. Getter is my favorite personally and I kinda find it off-putting how much TTGL whole sale lifts from Getter, but I still think it's alright. Although I don't quite get what you found emotional, if it's meaningful to you then it doesn't matter if it's not the best.

Also it's not so much a celebration of mecha and more just a series filled with references because those making it were a bunch of otaku.

>>15344393
Daimidaler is absolute trash, extremely unfunny, and has one of the stupidest mecha designs out there. You are trying way too hard to put down an OK series.
>>
>>15344418
TTGL doesn't really lift from Getter, and even the bits that it does is not really well executed. For example, the second half kind of apes the cosmic horror kind of story that Getter had going in later manga but it seems forced in TTGL's case.

>Daimidaler is absolute trash, extremely unfunny
I never argued for Daimidaler's comedy. I said groping girls is still more fun than TTGL. Fun and funny aren't the same. Go back to school.

>has one of the stupidest mecha designs
As opposed to the ones in TTGL? Don't be a hypocrite.
>>
>>15343907

Watch the show, then the movies if you want more. The show tells a complete story, the movies do not because they expect you to have already seen the show and therefore can skip straight to the fun parts.

/m/ is still traumatized by the realization that casual anime fans liked TTGL too, and therefore the board has distanced itself from the show and declared it a heresy against mecha anime. Watch it, have fun with it, don't let internet neckbeards run you off.

Not all popular shows are good, but most popular shows are popular for a reason.
>>
>>15344436
>TTGL doesn't really lift from Getter, and even the bits that it does is not really well executed. For example, the second half kind of apes the cosmic horror kind of story that Getter had going in later manga but it seems forced in TTGL's case.
The first and second half mirror Armageddon's 2 directors runs but in reverse order (start where humanity exists underground then mounts an offensive to take back the world followed by civilization being interrupted by a sudden interstellar arrival that calls for old war heroes to get back in their mecha). You then have things like how spiral energy is an extremely dumbed down and simplified version of Getter rays and the cosmic horror stuff, like you said. There's other elements but they are elements Getter shares with Mazinger and other mecha series of it's time so being fair I can't just accuse it of being just a Getter clone in those regards, but even Imaishi admitted Getter/Ishikawa were massive influences on TTGL. It is so blatant if I remember correctly the exact quote was the interviewer asking him if TTGL was "struck by Getter rays."

>I never argued for Daimidaler's comedy. I said groping girls is still more fun than TTGL. Fun and funny aren't the same. Go back to school.
There is nothing fun in Daimidaler honestly, it's extremely boring and just groan inducing. I can't say for your personal fun but I find it hard to believe someone considered that series fun.

>As opposed to the ones in TTGL? Don't be a hypocrite.
I'm still not convinced this piece of shit wasn't made ugly and stupid looking on purpose. And if you are claiming this looks better than stuff like Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann I have to question your taste and eye sight.
>>
File: Kenzen-Robo-Daimidaler-mech.png (285KB, 700x328px) Image search: [Google]
Kenzen-Robo-Daimidaler-mech.png
285KB, 700x328px
>>15344466
Forgot the picture of said ugly piece of shit
>>
>>15344466
>I find it hard to believe someone considered that series fun.
Groping girls isn't fun? I question your taste.

> And if you are claiming this looks better than stuff like Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann
They both look bad, but it's ok in Daimidaler's case since it's actually a parody.
>>
File: Chogingagurrenlagann.gif (64KB, 520x420px) Image search: [Google]
Chogingagurrenlagann.gif
64KB, 520x420px
>>15344483
>Groping girls isn't fun? I question your taste.
When it's the series poor attempt at humor that the main character gropes every woman he sees, no it stops being fun and just gets tiring. And this is coming from someone who fully believes tits are life.

>They both look bad, but it's ok in Daimidaler's case since it's actually a parody.
How does this look comparable to how ugly Daimidaler is?
>>
>>15344442
>>/m/ is still traumatized by the realization that casual anime fans liked TTGL too

This exactly. If someone started criticizing TTGL like this when it first came out, someone on /m/ likely would have tracked them down and murdered them with a drill.
>>
>>15344519
>When it's the series poor attempt at humor
I didn't say Daimidaler had great humour. I said groping girls is more fun than whatever TTGL had to offer.

>How does this look comparable to how ugly Daimidaler is?
You can't be serious.
>>
>>15344532
>someone on /m/ likely would have tracked them down and murdered them with a drill.
Yes, we have good taste now. Times change.
>>
>>15344537
Good tastes is subjective. Besides, TTGL has its flaws, but it's not as bad as /m/ claims it is
>>
>>15344549
It's 5 or 6/10.

In other words, average / decent.
>>
>>15344533
>I didn't say Daimidaler had great humour. I said groping girls is more fun than whatever TTGL had to offer.
And I'm saying that was the series attempt at titillation and humor, anything gets tiring when it's fucking done as nauseum and run into the ground. Daimidaler is so bad it actually made groping tots boring.

>You can't be serious.
I am serious, I think things like this or Lazengan or most of the mecha in TTGL range from passable to good. That is way better than I can claim for Daimidaler.
>>
>>15344554
>the series attempt at titillation and humor
So, not solely humour. You said it yourself.

>anything gets tiring when it's fucking done as nauseum
I never get tired of tits. I'm not a faggot.

>I think things like this or Lazengan or most of the mecha in TTGL range from passable to good
Yeah whatever. Your tastes are yucky so we have nothing to talk about.
>>
>>15343980
Ok, you don't like super robot, we get it
>>
>>15344537
>>15344551
With this level of criticism, most /m/ series that are liked here would be a 3 or 4/10.
>>
>>15344656
No, because most /m/ series that people like here actually have at least good fights even if the plot is excrement.

They would at least be considered a 7/10.
>>
TTGL is probably the best mecha show in the last 20 years.
>>
Faggy Lagann is cringe material and inherently Reddit
>>
>>15344713
I'll give you 10 years. 20 adds Diebuster and GaoGaiGar into the mix, which IMO were better than TTGL
>>
>>15343907
Series
>>
>>15344713
It was too mediocre to be considered best of anything.
>>
>>15344733
That's fair, even if I like TTGL more than Diebuster, I couldn't fault you for that.

>>15344745
The lengths people will go to in an attempt to downplay a show because it got a little popular.
>>
>>15344768
Naruto is popular too, doesn't mean the fourth shinobi war arc and even the latest ones weren't total piece of shit.

I've seen TTGL. It's absolutely mediocre. I don't even have to bring up other mecha anime since it stumbles upon its own flaws.

Even Code Geass was better.
>>
>>15344775
I didn't say "it's good because it's popular" I said "/m/ pretends to hate it because it's popular". You keep bringing up Naruto; the fact that you know enough about it to say something like that says more about why no one should ever listen to your opinion about TTGL than anything else.

Seriously, Yoshinari is a mediocre animator now?
>>
>>15344785
What about those of us who don't hate it but think it's just an okay series due to several issues it has, like several people in this thread have done already? Majority of the thread said the series is fine but it falls apart in the second half, calling it a middling/decent show.
>>
>>15344785
>/m/ pretends to hate it because it's popular
I didn't say hate. I said mediocre.

People don't even have to pretend to hate it because it's an easy series to hate when you consider all the flaws it has.
>>
>>15344801
That's a fine, if commonly echoed, opinion. One that has absolutely no relevance to the thread.
>>
>>15344805
Sorry, let me change that then:
>/m/ pretends it's mediocre because it's popular
>>
>>15344785
>You keep bringing up Naruto; the fact that you know enough about it to say something like that says more about why no one should ever listen to your opinion about TTGL
This is hilarious.

You just accused me of hating a show because it's popular, yet you are literally doing the same.

You fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>15344818
No, Naruto sucks because of an entirely different reason divorced from popularity: it sucks. Did you really just respond to me twice?
>>
>>15344822
>No, TTGL is mediocre because of an entirely different reason divorced from popularity: it's mediocre.

No one's pretending.
>>
>>15344807
How is it any less relevant than your empty platitudes heralding TTGL as the best show of the past 20 years?
>>
>>15344834
Because it's not as if I came into the thread specifically to say that. The OP was asking if he should watch the movies, and for some reason people started talking about how much they didn't like the show.
>>
I'd really like to read a detailed explanation of what makes TTGL mediocre for you.

Seems like some of you went through it with your own personal check list and were upset when it didn't cross most of your criteria.
>>
>>15344877
Explain why you think Naruto sucks. I already listed the reasons why I think TTGL is mediocre.

>it didn't cross most of your criteria.
Oh no you're wrong. It actually crosses most of the criteria, but in mediocre ways.
>>
>>15344883
I haven't even read or seen Naruto, I'm not the other guy.

Also you gave vague points that anyone can make. Try to dig deep into the themes, story, characters, how they tie together, etc, and write out why you think it's mediocre.

Also how does TTGL execute all of its points in mediocre ways? Why do you even have a set of expectations to begin with when you're watching a show for the first time?
>>
>>15344847
Everyone who called it mediocre/alright or 6 out of 10 gave their reasoning and told him what to expect and what way to watch the series.
>>
>>15344931
>and write out why you think it's mediocre.
I'm not going to go into more details. It's easy for you to write long essays about why you think it's good, but I only watched TTGL once, and I thought it was mediocre that time I watched it. Why is it so hard to accept that some people don't think it's as good as you think?

If I was a contrarian hipster, I would hate anything popular, but that's not the case.
>>
>>15344946
I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just curious and want a decent conversation about it. Either way, when you feel the need to give off your opinions as facts, you'd better be ready to back them up properly.
>>
>>15344967
It's not a fact. It's an opinion. Happy? I'd probably rate TTGL higher had it not been for the post time skip.
>>
>>15344980
What are you thoughts on the post timeskip?
>>
>>15344997
It's. bad.

The long speeches don't belong especially when they stop the action just for it. Also, the way the show tries to up itself comes off as forced and contrived. All the fun that was in the first half was tossed out in favour of some badly done empty drama.
>>
>>15344967
Not him but I gave some of my reasoning here >>15344418 . My key issues are the cast is extremely flat and one dimensional, and the single dimension they have is pretty unremarkable. Simon is a good character but he has no place in the story once you hit the second half. I think ttgl would have been a lot stronger if it ended after the fight with Lordgenome, which I also consider the only good fight in the series.

The second half is the big issue, it's very clear Imaishi and the crew were winging it and had nothing planned. The series suddenly wants to be be this very slow paced future melodrama with cosmic horror and politics but it just tries to be too many things at once with none of them being what it's good at: being loud and dumb. You can have somber stuff like Simon being lost after Kamina dying but that didn't drag on for 3-4 episodes where I have to watch everyone no one cares about being compete ponces. The second half only picked up when they went to space and even that is mired by stupid details like human Boota, just redoing the same fucking Kamina death but with Kitan, and attempting to make the story a lot grander than it ever should have tried to be.

TTGL also does get hurt in my opinion with how thoroughly unoriginal it is. I don't mind retreading what other series have gone over, expecting every series to reinvent the wheel is lunacy, but it didn't help that it very blatantly is imitating certain things and not doing it as well as they did.

It's very basic but it's fun, sometimes slipping up a bit too hard, but overall I enjoyed my time spent watching it. The soundtrack and fun mecha designs also helped a lot. TTGL is big, loud, and dumb but it has a lot of heart which is what gives the series enough charm to balance out the blatant faults.

Tldr: it's a 6/10 just like everything Imaishi makes.
>>
File: tumblr_oko09rRkRd1qg6s45o1_540.gif (322KB, 540x597px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oko09rRkRd1qg6s45o1_540.gif
322KB, 540x597px
TTGL is my favorite show and the reason I'm still alive
anyone who doesn't like it is entitled to their own opinion
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.