[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong? Where did we make a mistake? Why is everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: Its was nice place once.jpg (17KB, 360x163px) Image search: [Google]
Its was nice place once.jpg
17KB, 360x163px
What went wrong? Where did we make a mistake? Why is everything about shitposting now?
>>
Hide shitposter threads.

Ignore shitposter posts.

Do not reply to shitposters.
>>
>>15341436
replying a shit posting thread about shit posting.
>>
File: 1473280913048.png (690KB, 850x464px) Image search: [Google]
1473280913048.png
690KB, 850x464px
>>15341436

Just don't entertain them anon...

Moreover some users are here for the memes and jokes rather than true /m/ discussion.
>>
>>15341436

/v/ and /a/ happened anon
>>
/m/ is relatively peaceful compared to other boards.
>>
Everyone on the internet is angry now

/tg/ my favorite board is terrible now I dont know man times have changed
>>
>>15342863
Depends what show you want to talk about on /a/.

Same with /m/ I guess.
>>
>>15341436

We ended up with lots of "what went wrong/right" shitposter threads. And like 80% of them are about Zeta, ZZ, or one of the Gundam sode stories.

>>15342936

That's because /tg/ is increasingly less about legit RPG storytime, and more about arguing about why X system/rule/idea is terrible and then telling to do their magical realm favorite instead. Swear to god, the 40k rpg thread had a running argument about stat rolling versus point buy - all because one anon didn't want to hear someone complain when they didn't think through a character build.

On reflection, there's some similarity there. Both /m/, /tg/, and (for a long time) /k/ have been decreasingly about discussion or talking favorites, and more on hive-mind shitposting.

A la "why is X allowed" threads we now see everywhere.

>TL;DR immature whackadoodles with access to computers are why we see this shitposting
>>
>>15342986
I feel like image boards are dying
>>
File: 1468513777403.jpg (1MB, 3042x4491px) Image search: [Google]
1468513777403.jpg
1MB, 3042x4491px
>>15343013
we need more image and less board
>>
>>15341436
/m/ is a place where great conversations and debates happen.
>>
loud opinions, blantant shitposts, same exact threads reposted for no reason, transplants who doesn't even bother to hide their cancer posting style.
sometimes they make a post with a fucking pepe in the op and they dare to claim they are not trolling.
That and the IBO threads, every now and then I see them in the catalog with some shitty edited op picture made in MS paint featuring one specific character getting bullied, I can't help but wonder if some kid dedicated to shitposting is real proud for their mad photoshop skills.
>>
>>15343053
oh and speaking of IBO
>people making multiple generals without checking for a preexisting one or couldn't count
>as for now there are three "Episode 48 - Ver. 8.0" threads in the catalog
>filled with nothing but name calling and tumblr-tier "discussion"
what a fucking fuck up
>>
>>15343078

I dont know who is worse the shitposters agasint IBO or people who like it
>>
>>15343053
No offense but what moderators job is? Do they even do their job?

Do these shitposters get banned or something?

I mean we got multiple same thread over and over again inciting chaos here which classifies as spamming and yet they still appear. I'm not always in 4chan so I don't know how things work here.
>>
>>15343013
There was a boom in the style a few years ago. 4chan became dominant, many other operators are losing interest and turning out the lights. But 4chan is adapting, and the new operators who replace the old guard are taking a more engaging model.

"Modern" imageboards have things like quick reply and reply notifications and auto-refresh, which all seem really convenient. But all those features just encourage personal, semi-realtime discussion between huge groups of people, which really was the sort of thing I used to come to imageboards to avoid.

It used to be that if you wanted to get into a flame war with someone, you had to put in continual effort to do so: F5ing every now and then, remembering the post chain, writing your reply in a textbox far away from whatever you're replying to, taking screenshots, etc. If enough people cared to do such a thing, they were so invested that the result was usually amusing to watch, at least. Now any bozo can keep up dedicated shitposting in 20 threads at the same time from their fucking iPhone, and the only problem is the reply timer.

The problem isn't that 4chan is doing these things, it's that nobody is making places that don't do these things. If you made wakachan today, nobody would give it a second look because it doesn't have bells and whistles. A few years ago, back when the mods were acting pretty strange about /m/, Dorkly took on a position as a mod of mechachan so that we could have a old-style site, solely for mecha. I think I was the only poster, and now the domain's expired.
>>
>>15343172

The problem is that even if people make new chans they end up dying in like a year with everyone coming back to 4chan

I know cripple chan has an /m/ but thats dead as fuck
>>
>>15343151

Pretty sure a meta thread like this would get 404'd faster than a shitposting thread

Shitposting threads get posters this gets discussions
>>
File: 1472267881251.png (1MB, 764x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472267881251.png
1MB, 764x1024px
>>15343172
>A few years ago, back when the mods were acting pretty strange about /m/, Dorkly took on a position as a mod of mechachan so that we could have a old-style site, solely for mecha. I think I was the only poster, and
it was mostly so I would have a place to post lewd stuff from my journeies to the moonwebs, that was one of the reasons I started hanging on 8/m/
>now the domain's expired.
at least Old Yeller finally got put down
I wonder if those russians in the heisei board or wherever it was found a place to go
>>
>>15343183
Yeah, part of the problem is 4chan has redefined what people think of as "dead" for an imageboard. After 4chan, the next most active place I visit got about two dozen posts today, and that's fine. So when someone makes a new chan and hopes to pull users from 4chan, they inevitably fail because most of 4chan sees the place as dead - and then the place really is dead.

>>15343211
That makes sense. The 8 never appealed to me (too much emphasis on features and a weird userbase), but I heard a few people set up a nice board there for a while.
>>
>>15343183
Ok so say we move there. Then it's not dead.

That's an issue, you complain it's dead but at the same time won't move. I actually call this "Empty server Syndrome" which is like an online game server that's empty. No one wants to play it because it's empty and no one will join it because of that. But if you joined then someone would see it's active and join and then others would see it's active and join in until full. Most of the mecha discussion ends up on their /v/ with people tyring to get them to post on that /m/
>>
>>15343248

To be honest 8/v/ is kinda shit

Although their /a/ is kinda great
>>
>>15343248
We would move if 4chan died.
There are contingencies.
Still, it's kinda weird thinking about hot wheel's home for imaginary autists. They at one point (maybe still do) had a board for anime feet.

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW.
>>
>>15341436
/m/ and /o/ have no mods. All is lost. We are the survivors in the wasteland after the apocalypse. The shitposters are the savage raiders. And we are the dying settlements that fall by the day.
>>
>>15343312

Hotwheels doesnt own that site anymore

Its a long and retarded story you know usual image board autism
>>
That autist is currently going after Outlaw Star now. Do you think this will burn him out?
>>
>>15343588
>one autist
Keep deluding yourself.
>>
>>15341436
>Why is everything about shitposting now?

Lax moderation. I'm not even going do the
>people feeding the trolls
at this point, because they don't need feeding and they grow anyway.
>>
>>15343614
I never see these people as trolls rather they're a new counter culture that no longer gives a fuck what normies think.
>>
>>15343620
What normies? This is /m/.
>>
>>15343620
There aren't normies on 4chan anon.
>>
>>15343588
Reminds me when when Gun X Sword went from a rarely mentioned, but fondly remembered show, to constant troll food.
>>
>>15343620
>Normies
Someone isn't from around here.
>>
>>15343470
Oh I know the whole story, but I still like to invoke the hot wheels moniker when able.
>>
>>15343728
I still chuckle at screenshots over the onetime someone gifted him Gone home.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
224KB, 1920x1080px
>>15341436
Lack of UNDERSTANDING
>>
>>15343330

Question from a semi-active lurker: why is it that we have no mods?
>>
>>15344261
We technically do, but they give so little a shit that we might as well not have any.

And really, considering the state of /m/ I can't even blame them. There's a point where you have to just give up, and we crossed it years back.
>>
Is 4chan.org/m/ the biggest mecha image-board board? What non image-board platforms could/should we be using instead?

A little off topic, I've had a multi-tiered image-board on my mind for a while, where things like /m/ssg/ are their own URL that doesn't expire, and people post inside that seperate sub-board, but there'd still be more fluidity between sub-boards than between boards. Maybe everything would be behind drop-downs, who knows. GUI customisability maybe, seperate clients even. I'd call it tree-chan because of it's branching structure also because 3chan is a joke.

But if the modern convenient image-board is what has spawned this shitposting culture, at least for /m/, then changing the board layout probably won't change this. Requiring a downloaded client, maybe board-specific plugins to go with it, might help alienate users from other sources, but I don't think preventing other people from being able to start posting is a good idea in the long run for our userbase.

At least turning into a hive of shitposting is better than withering away like myspace. Arguably.
>>
>>15344261
Because only the bigger boards have their own, dedicated mods. /m/ is at that awkward middle ground where we're decently big but still not big enough, so we get the worst of both worlds. We shitpost with the best but get moderated with the rest.
>>
G Gundam was just thee most gayest gundam shaow i have every seen the ripped off of DBZ in that show who ever came up with that idea should have gotten fired, and what the heck does the G stand for in G Gundam
>>
>>15344304
>At least turning into a hive of shitposting is better than withering away like myspace. Arguably.
I've been to Mecha Talk, trust me no it isn't.
>>
At times I fantasize that mods come to this place and save usand then I remember one of the biggest shitposters is a janitor/mod
>>
>>15343267
less shit than the /v/ here and I only come here now a days to peruse /m/ since the thread quality outside generals and sometimes inside them has really dropped.

The problem is people not realize we have other sites to use as a battlebridge in the event 4chan goes down or gets frozen because some retard on /b/ posted shit that warrants a visit from a alphabet soup agency.

I do like the webms with sound and the multi image posting makes dorkly threads a bit more entertaining.

In any case if say 40% left and started posting elsewhere then it'd be more active. Like I said earlier other /m/ is inactive becuase of the lack of posters and no one really posts because they see it as inactive. It's sort of a catch-22
>>
>>15345211
I think we need a great event to unite us again, like back when gamergate threads were being deleted. Mods should make every discussion on /m/ have to be about valvrave, then we'll all unite and migrate to another site.
>>
Valvrave
Tokufags and Kamen Rider Ghost
G-Reco
>>
>>15346111
>imfuckingplying

An official boardwide mandate requiring Valvrave-related content in every post would just mean I can finally vomit out 4 years worth of pretentious literary analysis that would never get replies otherwise if not for Valvrager handing out free (you)s to anyone not pushing his narrative.

Besides you'd achieve faster results by having it explicitly be /gundamgeneral/ and not just gundam general in an unwritten capacity.
>>
why does everybody treat visiting another site like some million year contract shit
it's just an image board, christ
you can go to different websites and it's not like you have no-compete clauses or some shit
>>
>>15346111
Gamergate did nothing wrong.
>>
>>15347014
It did everything wrong, it brought the worst kind of people to the site, people who spout insane shit like this >>15346440 and think they are right

I have no doubt you are one of them
>>
>>15343620
>normies
Found the redditor.

We call them normalfags around here.
>>
>>15347048
To be fair they were already here. We're a mainstream site and have been for years. The chance of infection from sites like Reddit and other crap filled sites was already high without Goygate which fell to leftsts need to feel like they're the good guys with the whole "MUH PR" thing. But we're not here to talk about that and should keep off it because then that gives the mods an excuse to purge threads like these which do do some good as it serves as a sort of "meta" thread. Discussion don't hurt no one.
>>
>>15347048
>it brought the worst kind of people to the site
Not really. /m/ wasn't effected by gamergate at all. It only affected /v/. Which let's face facts, you can't shit up a latrine. It was nowhere near on the level of chanology, or event the trump shit. I have no idea why this board acts like gamergate was relevant at all, when it affected /m/ zero fucking percent. Like when /m/ goes down, and people go
>I cant go to 8 ch cuz it's eval
For fucks sake, how can anyone who was here for exploding vans think a site is a nazi created CP repository trying to take over the world? That /m/ board is run by dorkly, gets one post a day, and is empty of everyone except some autist who gets really upset over Godannar and SRW Omega.

>people who spout insane shit like this >>15346440

You probably know full fucking well that's not some guy brought in from twitter or reddit. It's someone from mahq, or G-Gen, SRWG, or the /m/IRC, or gamefaqs, or any of the other forums where they sit around planning raids against us all day? How is anything this guy says different from Kamille, or Black Knight, or Chisuga, or Kristi, or Ruri, or Snapfit-kun or any one of the retards we have here (Well other than sounding like he's been on 4chan for about a day.)

You have fuckers like Duel who write entire god damn tutorials on how to fuck up /m/. Seems extremely stupid and small minded to blame this on some unrelated videogame thing from 2014. GG didn't make up that god awful "not /m/" meme, and spam it like crazy in Strike Witches threads in 2007. /gg/ didn't invent the back seat modding with an exploit that was used against Muvluv and Infinite Stratos, and it didn't spam threads with CP. It didn't make up the Valvrave spamming which happened when it first aired (which is funny you used that as an example since the valvrave shit was %100 artificial the the people who pulled it off brag about it.)

There is no need for a boogie man when the blame on us for letting it get this bad.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.