[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest question, Why can't the AU Gundam series ever be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: AU_Gundam.jpg (885KB, 3208x1540px) Image search: [Google]
AU_Gundam.jpg
885KB, 3208x1540px
Honest question, Why can't the AU Gundam series ever be considered better written then the UC ones?
>>
>>15336784
they dont have the strength of so many series and worldbuilding backing them up. There's this whole history and mythos sete up to UC that makes each entry that much more meaningful and significant. Add to that a super strong start and you've got a juggernaut thats hard to top/admit to being topped if you think that
>>
Because the more writing there is for something, generally the more thought that goes into it. More thought isn't the same as good writing, but it tends to work out.

UC has the advantage of sheer volume of how much media there is. Sure there's some weird/bad works, but there's more than enough to make up for it. AUs usually never get more than 50 episodes and a movie, which limits how much there is going for it compared to UC's ~200 TV episodes, ~30 OVA episodes, and a bunch of movies. Thus, UC is extremely fleshed out. t's sort of like comparing a one-off story with an whole other franchise... except this is all inside the Gundam franchise itself. Imagine comparing the 50 years of Star Trek with a recent TV series that has only been around for a few years. That's not to say that the AU can't be well written, but UC as a whole tends to be more compelling than just a single AU.

AUs tend to be for "the new generation" and experimentation. At their most basic they might be rehashes of existing Gundam elements with updates and changes to draw in a new/different audience (namely Gundam SEED/AGE) so they can draw them into the larger Gundam franchise due to the similar overlapping themes and story elements. Often times this means introducing them to UC. Other times AU stories will experiment and go out of the usual comfort zone of UC's "relatively grounded near future sci-fi" and try to go for a more unique story. For better or worse, that means they are willing to take some risks like maybe alienating part of the existing fanbase and going with different presentation style or storytelling to maybe court a different demographic or find success with other avenues. UC and its staple of storytelling elements and concepts are generally well proven sellers. AUs, not so much.
>>
>>15336784
>Destiny beloved
I highly doubt anyone unironically "loves" it, only varying degrees of tolerance for it's flaws.
>>
>>15336845 continued
So let me put it this way:

Those that like UC will probably like most of UC. AUs can be hit or miss depending on tastes and likes.

UC has a lot of media from various different writers, and they can support each other and reference each others' works. It's a shared universe with the strength of many different people lending their skill to it. Some of them take the time to reference and work well with prior existing works. AUs tend to experiment and may not appeal to all or even part of the existing fanbase.

UC for the sheer number of its media, can make mistakes and it's not that big a deal in the long run. An AU series is usually just a single manga or TV series or novel by itself, and if mistakes are made then it can dramatically impact the quality of the story.
>>
>>15336784

>Wing has outstanding production values

The only thing outstanding about its production is how blatant the usage of stock footage is for so many common situations.
>>
>>15336864
>Wing has alot of stock footage
When will this meme die?
>>
>>15336864
try actually watching it instead of memeing that heavy arms gif
>>
>IBO
>must watch
>>
>>15336874
When it stops being true.
>>
>>15336851

Yea, it was people who only "tolerated" it that gave it one of the highest viewership Gundam has had since the UC days and probably the highest media sales Gundam has ever had.
>>
>>15336845
Problem with that quantity argument is that there are many animes that have great writing and manage to build engaging stories and worlds even in one season or just in a movie.

In addition, original Mobile Suit Gundam is one of the most universally praised Gundams, be it UC or at all.
And it didn't have all that world building to back it up, heck some aspects like Newtypes seem like they were thought up on the fly.

Honestly, I just want good shows/movies/ovas and if I can enjoy those without consuming 500 episodes of other stuff of varying quality, that's just a good thing.
>>
>>15336851
I do.
>>
>>15336824
If that's the case SEED matches up to UC in terms of lore depth imo.
00's is pretty good as well.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.