[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to get into the original Mobile Suit Gundam series "again".

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: sayla.jpg (691KB, 750x1105px) Image search: [Google]
sayla.jpg
691KB, 750x1105px
Trying to get into the original Mobile Suit Gundam series "again". Should I just bite my tongue and press though all the TV episodes up to CCA or should I just watch the MSG and ZZ compilation movies?

Do the compilation movies cut out important stuff or does it make the pacing better?
>>
>>15314731
0079 movies are superior to the series in every possible way. Don't even bother with it, except for curiosity.

Zeta movies changed the ending in a radical way, so I wouldn't recommend it.
But don't listen to the memelords around here, despite being flawed the series looks great and is totally enjoyable.
>>
>>15314976
So
>0079 - Movie
>Zeta - TV show
and the rest as follows.
Okay then.
>>
>>15314731
The movies, especially Encounters in Space have a lot of redone scenes that are great but there is still a lot of character interaction that was cut out that would have helped you appreciate those scenes better.
The final arc of the show is very complex and dense enough even without being compacted in a movie and the sequels build on the themes introduced here. Watching the movies first won't necessarily give you a good overview of that.
Soldiers of Sorrow is a horrible mess that completely butchers the middle arc of the show at the expense of introducing some plot points for the sake of continuity. It's completely incoherent which is made worse by the fact it tries to integrate some episodes and character arcs that don't mesh well together in a continuous two hour format. As a result it is completely incomprehensible.
Watching nothing but the movies is only acceptable you want to watch MSG for the sake of watching it.
I believe a lot of stupid memes were born because of people who only watched the movies and failed to grasp basic plot points. Still I might be giving them too much credit. Obviously it's possible to watch an entire series and still completely miss the point.
>>
>>15314987
You might be interested in Gundam The Origins, the manga.
It's basically some kind of fanfiction retelling the events of 0079 by Yasuhiko, and I can get why some people hate it. But it's an amazing piece of work by itself and Yasuhiko's drawings are gorgeous.
Also you have a pretty interesting origin story of Char Aznable and the beginnings of the OYW.
It's up to you if it fits or not your headcanon.
>>
>>15314731
0079 movies are what Tomino intended, the series has awful filler and padding just to sell toys and because execs wanted to do a super robot show while Tomino wanted a real one.

The movies cut 80% of that fluff
>>
>>15315213
>pretty interesting
Keep your opinions to yourself.
>>
>>15314731

If you're a person who cares what other people think of you and you want to be able to say "Y-yeah, I totally watched 0079!" then just watch the movies and be done with it.

If you're actually interested in 0079, watch the series.
>>
>>15315172
This anon is right. The series stands on its own. I rewatched it fit the first time in about 3.5 years and it's still engrossing as a good war drama. I'd say there might a few episodes where its fluff, but the movies cut out too much and you end up not getting to experience the full experience of watching how the characters interact with each other and grow. You miss out on thay sense of growth in skill from Amuro bumbling around in Side 7, surging only because of the Gundam being OP to getting so good that the controls have to be upgraded because they're not responsive enough and fighting against better suits like the mobile armors and the Zeong whilst still casually killing anyone who gets in his way. Watching the movies, it seems like Amuro matures and gets good really fast compared to the pace of the series. And that's just with Amuro. The only benefit to watching the movies is getting through it faster and some of the mech being retconned into more realistic looking versions. If you've already seen the series, then I'd say why not, but if you're rewatching early UC as a whole, it just makes more sense to watch the series
>>
>>15314731
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, since I didn't try this myself and just watched the series straight, but you could try watching the first two movies and continue the series where the second movie finished off. The last arc is the most important part and is some of the best television you'll ever see, imo. The upside is that you'll get to skip Gundam's slow start, but the downside would be having mixed up pacing from switching over
>>
>>15315276
Complete opposite, if you want your e-peen to grow then you says
>b-b-but I watched the 0079 series! that awful series that was axed because nobody liked it xD

If you don't care about retards opinions then you just watch the movies and get the story Tomino wanted to tell, without dumb filler, with improved animation and better pacing.
>>
File: C5oxT47VMAEvd17.jpg (65KB, 1012x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C5oxT47VMAEvd17.jpg
65KB, 1012x1200px
>>15315345
Movies are the SAME story but faster and with less content. Or does Gyan alter the author's intention too much? Faggot, stop watching with a consumption mindset, series viewers are much more likely to check out the movies afterwards than movie viewers are to go back to the series.
>>
>>15314731
>"So what are you wearing"?
>>
>>15315258
Hey, that's your opinion bro
>>
I enjoyed both the series and the movies
>>
>>15314731
MSG movies are good. The Zeta movies make no sense if you haven't seen Zeta already.
>>
>>15315172
I feel this.
I'm currently watching the original series, as I some time ago watched the movies, and soon after realized that I remembered basically nothing of them.
Of course I take part of the fault, as when I watched them I didn't pay the greatest attention to them, but still I think that movie pacing being what it is didn't help.
Sure I think that the series could be shorter too, but the movies go too far, especially as the story is not made for such short format.
>>
>>15314731
Read The Origin and watch the TV episodes of your favorite stuff while doing so.
>>
>>15315842
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>15314731

First and Third movies are acceptable, though the characterization is better and more full in the series. There is no excuse to watch the second movie instead of that part of the TV series though - it really mucks up Amuro's character development.

Encounters in Space is really worth watching though, it is the better rendition of the final arc on all fronts.
>>
>>15315245
Stop spreading this bullshit. Gundam wasn't affiliated with Bandai when the original series was made, so it wasn't trying to sell toys. The movies aren't "what Tomino intended", they're theatrical releases intended to ride on the wave of popularity of Gundam. Tomino intended to have a full 50 episodes and a longer A Baoa Qu battle, not to make 3 movies.
>>
>>15317874
Yes it was.

The show was under-performing but the model kits were selling well so Tomino had to sell his creative soul to keep the show alive so he could finish the story.

Tomino's entire fucking pitch was to make a real show look like a toy commercial to get a better budget while disguising it as something else.
>>
>>15314731
First of all, STOP listening to the delusional fucking retards here telling you to watch the TV series as a newbie. Watch the goddamn movies, or read ORIGIN Manga
>>
>>15317964
Mobile suit Gundam's original TV run was from April 7, 1979 – January 26, 1980

The first Bandai Gundam kit out in JULY of 1980.

So, no Bandai had absolutely nothing to do with the original TV series planing or development.
>>
>>15314731
>ZZ compilation movies

Fuck. IF ONLY
>>
>>15318070
>delusional retards
>recommends The Origin
>>
>>15317964
>Spewing shit with no sources
Keep up the good work retard
>>
>>15314731
So I guess I'll just go with the episodes since it's the safest bet. Does anyone hear know the best quality torrents or are they all the same?
>>
>>15317964
Gundam's first toy sponsor/licensor was Clover.
>>
>>15318070
>watch the TV series as a newbie
Its not some obscure piece of literature. You can easily go into 0079 without having consumed any prior materials. All you need to have is an open mind (this means not bitching about it having older looking style and theme song when it came out in 1970s and watching the story on its own merits)
>>
>>15314731
The movies cut out about 6 hours of content. Maybe more. To say its the same experience as the series or that you don't miss too much is the wishful thinking of peiple without very much time on their hands. Most side characters and villains like Hayato, Ryu, Mirai and M'Quve get their focus reduced and scenes cut and there are even a few characters cut altogether. The pacing is of course entirely different and that changes the mood of scenes.
>>
>>15317874
It wasn't affiliated with Bandai yet, but it was trying to sell toys from other brands.
>>
>>15317874
It was trying to sell completely different toys from Clover, which was sponsoring it at the time.

Watching either is fine, TV has the advantage of space to decompress and Tomino's love of playing with concept while the movies have the advantages of Yas's superior human storytelling and a target market of mixed-gender college students rather than elementary school boys.

The Origin replacing the movies is also a perfectly good choice, as that pushes even further toward Yas's strengths. I'd almost say that reading it and the novels is a better combo than watching TV and the movies.
>>
>>15320380
>The Origin replacing the movies is also a perfectly good choice, as that pushes even further toward Yas's strengths. I'd almost say that reading it and the novels is a better combo than watching TV and the movies.
That depends on what are you looking for. I'm watching the old original series now, not because I want to experience that particular story, but I want to experience the start of Gundam franchise.
I'm the kind of person who watches things for their "historical" value, and no retelling of that story could replace that. The original series provides unique context to everything that comes after it.
>>
>>15320400
Yep, that's fair! We still have this argument over First all the time because each version legitimately brings something to the table except maybe For The Barrel
>>
>>15320419
robochar is a thing FTB brought to the table
>>
I know this is a fucking retarded question but the overly paranoid shitlords that I live with won't - under any circumstances - allow me to torrent. And for overly complicated reasons, I have to fucking listen to them. Also, they own the place. So I begrudgingly ask, does anyone know where I could stream all 4 of these subbed?
>>
>>15321008
kissanime

Also, this website is 18+
>>
>>15321023
Thank you godly anon.
>>
>>15320380
>superior human storytelling
>>
>>15319778
Go with EG.

https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=531318
>>
File: 0079-05-16_800.jpg (239KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
0079-05-16_800.jpg
239KB, 800x600px
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.