[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would NGE have been "better" if the series had kept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: Eva01NightmareFuelRight.png (112KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Eva01NightmareFuelRight.png
112KB, 640x480px
Would NGE have been "better" if the series had kept the tone of the first half of the show (i.e. Monster of the week, more comedic, characters growing somewhat) rather than dive head first into the dark and psychotic pool it did?

Would the show have been as successful or had such a lasting impact on the industry?
>>
Can't say if it would have been as successful, but I would enjoy it more.
>>
>>15311888
>Would NGE have been "better" if the series had kept the tone of the first half of the show (i.e. Monster of the week, more comedic, characters growing somewhat) rather than dive head first into the dark and psychotic pool it did?
It could have been a bit more entertaining, but it would have ended up a lot more dull. It would have become a fun but forgettable series.

>Would the show have been as successful or had such a lasting impact on the industry?
Hell no
>>
>>15311888
The super robots vs aliens part of Eva and the psychological part of Eva should have been separated into two completely different series.

It would never have gotten famous that way, but that'd be a good thing, Eva's influence is fucking cancer.
>>
The writers should have handled the transition into mindscrew territoty better.

I don't really know if it would be more successful if it avoided the mindscrewy stuff.

Super Robot NGE would be considered a good show(possibly a classic)but have less influence on anime.
>>
>>15311888
The second episode went from domestic comedy with Misato, to Ritsuko and Gendo talking mystery, to PTSD flashbacks about berserk Eva-01 and its real face in the space of like 3 minutes. The tones were there and already all married to eachother.
>>
>>15311888

Eva is shit and Only Asuka can be saved and sento to gundam with a new life
>>
As successful or as influential, no.

Personally, I would have enjoyed Evangelion more if it were just about Shinji developing into somebody who can really be called a hero, but it's really fine the way it is. That's part of why I'm interested in that one Evangelion 2 game, though.
>>
>>15311888

All's it really needed was a good fishing episode
>>
>>15312442
Shinji a hero would pretty much mean to throw 99% of the story to the trash.

He /is/ kind of a god (by 26' he literally has everybodies' soul in his power, being able yo choose whether to continue with Instrumentality or to cancel it), but never a a hero by himself.

A lot of people really think Eva is shit because of the (sometimes considered forced) psychological backstory. The reality is that mostrar of them either wished for a more naive kind of story, or they are actually thinking of it from a very Mecha-generic point of view.

The reality is that Eva isn't even a Mecha story (there's only one Mecha which lasts one episode), and ir really is a story on the humanos condition and psychological, and on the very different (but yet very alike as well) forms of solving one's issues and problems with both interpersonal relationships and self-image.
>>
>>15313579
Sorry, spanish autocorrect.
>>
>>15312237
There were aliens vs aliens, actually, as in 24 humanity is described as Lilim/Lilin (your mileage may vary), a descendant of Lilith and antes Angel on its own.
>>
>>15311888
As someone ITT already said, the tone is the same. Even in the most comedic times there's a little shade that lets you see through the characters actual feelings.

This is specially true in the Asuka-Shinji relationship, which is continually tense throughout the series.
>>
>>15311888
They did plan to do that before they ran low on money. It would have resulted in weird shit like Asuka turning into a werewolf.
>>
>>15313846
That was a sequel movie concept from the mecha designer. The plot arc for the 26-episode show that was first pitched was the plot of the 26-episode show that was made without the details filled in.
>>
>>15313579
>Shinji a hero would pretty much mean to throw 99% of the story to the trash.
Not even, just the events with Bardiel and on. And obviously I don't care how much of the series is scrapped if I'm saying I'd have liked it to go in a completely different direction.
>>
>>15311888

>That scene

That fucking scene... Every single shot has the eye staring right at the camera.

Not the characters, not the same point in space, but at the fucking camera. At fucking you.
>>
>>15313579
>and ir really is a story on the humanos condition and psychological, and on the very different (but yet very alike as well) forms of solving one's issues and problems with both interpersonal relationships and self-image.

Which is shit and only matters to people that are already mentally diseased shut in otaku's anyway.

Assuming you aren't a neroutic wreck that can't deal with interacting with other people, which is 99 percent of humanity it all means nothing and these characters might as well be aliens.
>>
>>15312301
>>15313601

Certainty the tone was very mature even at the start, but it was hardly the dark, existentialist dread that the second half of the series entered into.

That's the difference between the first and second half that I don't like. Mature became dark, adult-level problems became nihilistic roadblocks
>>
File: 349987-4099991036_de4dae18a6_b.jpg (482KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
349987-4099991036_de4dae18a6_b.jpg
482KB, 724x1024px
>>15314163

Forgot my pic, the point of it being that it's not something you can imagine really applying to the first half of NGE
>>
>>15311903
FPBP
>>
I had some ideas , but I'm not a writer so just opinion.
>has stronger undertones of the characters being fucked in the head
>when evas get damaged, it translates to the pilots injuries.
>01 loses an arm, shinji loses his arm
>fortunately (and not) Nerv has the best medical technology in the world and can heal almost any damage like it's magic
>more reason for shinji to be horrified of getting in the Eva and more reason to run away
>is constantly waking up in the hospital bed with reattached limbs and healed stab wounds.
>shinji grows into a mentally damaged cold mothetfucker in the fucked up child solider way
>>
>>15311888
Eva always had a dark tone it just got incredibly bleak during the final six or so episodes. Really all I'd want is maybe a more natural shift towards it instead of the sudden slam you get after you hit a certain point.
>>
There are people who honestly believe Evangelion was successful because the TV series featured "Congratulations, Shinji"?

There were no psychological elements in the Evangelion TV series. The characters were in generic romcom situations and Shinji acted like a wimp the entire series and cried about piloting a giant robot. Not exactly new ground for the genre. EoE of Evangelion is the only thing that features the avant garde masturbatory dream-like sequences that the series has become known for.

People like Eva TV for the same reason they like other Gainax productions: the art and visual directing.
>>
>>15314634
>There were no psychological elements in the Evangelion TV series.

I'm not trying to claim it's deep or anything but for fuck's sake like the first or second episode has them remarking on Shinji pushing everyone who could love him away in fear of rejection while also yearning for affection.
>>
>>15314652
So character traits and conflict is now psychological? I guess Gundam and Mazinger are psychological shows now.
>>
>>15314664
Stop pretending to be dense.
>>
>>15314666
You sound a little touched.
>>
Honestly i didn't find it to be that much of a mind fuck, mostly because you /m/anchildren explain everything in these threads about it. But i would've enjoyed it a lot more if it kept the same mood as the first episodes. More intresting character drama and unique Mech fights instead of pseudo-intellectual tribe that was the ending. In the end it was a fun ride for the shock value but on my rewatch i honestly couldn't give any less fucks about the ending. With the exception of Kaworu's and Shinji's full homogay releationship which was intresting to unravel.
>>
>>15314634
>EoE of Evangelion is the only thing that features the avant garde masturbatory dream-like sequences that the series has become known for.

You're forgetting Shinji's crazy dreams when he got swallowed up by the shadow angel and when he got absorbed by the eva after he oversynced.
>>
>>15312255
What influence did it have
>>
>>15313579
How is Shinji not a hero
Nigga got in the robot and killed the angels
Sure he bitched a lot along the way but he still did it
Could have pussied out at any time but he didn't
>>
>>15318360

There was that one time he pussied out and just rode the fucking train all day and had to be brought back in by NERV forces.
>>
>>15318471
>>15318360

That's because nobody asked him nicely
>>
File: some john hughes shit.jpg (249KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
some john hughes shit.jpg
249KB, 1440x1080px
>>15318471
Your memory sucks. He was ready to die in the robot, he ran away from his goofy roommate changing gears to act like an authority figure like she had a problem with that. He even laughs at her a little. Then he's comfortable enough sleeping on the street that it looks like something he's done habitually, he comes back when asked, and she fires him for giving the same attitude again.
>>
>>15318471
He came back of his own volition though.
He could have rode the train and fucked off but he decided not to.
>>
>>15314676
Yeah, by you.

I love you
>>
File: zaku-gtfo.jpg (71KB, 590x452px) Image search: [Google]
zaku-gtfo.jpg
71KB, 590x452px
>>15311888
>rather than dive head first into the dark and psychotic pool it did?

That's stupid. If that happened then it would just be another generic anime instead of the indelible deconstruction of anime that people remember.
>>
As somebody who had never consumed any NGE media prior to a few months ago and watched the series and EOE, I wish they started it sooner.

The weird psychological stuff (and it's not even that weird, I understood 25 and 26 fine and it seemed like a perfectly natural progression of where the series was going) was way more interestin then beating the angel of the week; the best parts of the first 18 episodes or so was the times when 01 went beserk or psychological stuff happened anyways to begin with.
>>
>>15311888
>Would NGE have been "better" if the series had kept the tone of the first half of the show

I don't think so. I feel like the manga basically does this and I wasn't a huge fan. What makes art or media good is that it comes from someone who trying to get an sincere message across. If you ripped away eva's dark and psychotic parts it would loose the sincerity that makes it resonate with so many people.

The reason I think people don't like the dark parts is because it doesn't follow the a typical formula and that makes them uncomfortable.
>>
>>
>>15321081
ebin

>>15324535
You think very stupidly. Nice English, by the way.
>>
It completely changed the anime industry, showing that it could appeal to an adult audience, and many animes of today wouldn't be the same without Evangelion. I believe it's no doubt the most groundbreaking anime ever, and it's pretty in arguable that it's up there.
>>
>>15327327
You're a big poopface.
>>
>>15318303
It made mecha try to be devilman in a robot from like 1996 to 2005.
>>
>>15329899
>all this delusion

>>15330550
Very few /m/ shows tried to be like it or take notes from it though. If you had said anime in general, you'd be much more correct.
>>
>>15331279
>all this delusion
Prove me wrong, oh wait you can't.
>>
>>15331387
Prove yourself right. Oh wait, you can't.
>>
>>15331451
Not an argument.
>>
>>15313579
It's just Ultraman meets Ideon you pretentious twat
>>
File: tumblr_inline_ms8syjPG3k1qz4rgp.jpg (203KB, 495x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_ms8syjPG3k1qz4rgp.jpg
203KB, 495x750px
Read the mango
>>
>>15311888
>would NGE be better if it wasn't NGE
no
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.