[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harmony Gold has come back to BTFO Macross nerds and their shitty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 286
Thread images: 48

File: prime1-vf1-figure.jpg (35KB, 668x393px) Image search: [Google]
prime1-vf1-figure.jpg
35KB, 668x393px
Harmony Gold has come back to BTFO Macross nerds and their shitty Yamato/Arcadia/Bandai figures.
>>
>>15302809
>Harmony Gold
HAHAHAHAHA
someone post those shit toys they displayed at a con that literally broke apart doing nothing
>>
>>15302809
>statueshit
enjoy your VF that doesn't transform
>>
Nice Phoenix Hawk.
>>
>>15302809
Prime 1 Studio is actually a very legit production company for statues and collectibles. Its their statues, busts, and figurines that are mostly sold on places like Sideshow Collectibles.
http://www.prime1studio.co.jp/shop/products/list.php?category_id=0&pageno=2

Here's the thing....This is a Japanese company, and they are making a Robotech product. Maybe they can just earn their money back by cashing in on American audiences (or wherever Macross is not being actively sold) but they do realize they can't sell this in their home country, right?
>>
>>15302810
I'd like to see this
>>
>>15302823

This.

I have a VF-25 chogokin sitting on my desk right now, and I'm not even sure what a better version of it would even look like. It looks awesome and it transforms with a surprising amount of elegance. I mean,

I guess you could make it electronic so it transforms itself, but I hardly think that's a realistic expectation of a toy of this complexity.
>>
>>15303985
They could just sell it in japan as a Valk
>>
>>15304408
>They could just sell it in japan as a Valk
They would have to licence through Big West, why would they want HG's sloppy seconds when there are tons of other toy makers interested?
>>
>>15302809
Oh i didn't realize it was time for them to put out 1 product to keep their bogus license going again.
>>
File: 1488164353660.jpg (71KB, 640x654px) Image search: [Google]
1488164353660.jpg
71KB, 640x654px
>Harmony Gold tries to resurrect Robotech
>having no idea what Robotech is, kids go online and look it up
>they just decided to go watch or buy Macross merchandise instead
>>
File: everytime.jpg (14KB, 480x293px) Image search: [Google]
everytime.jpg
14KB, 480x293px
>>15302809
>statue
It's fucking nothing

>>15304455
This. Big west is unlikely to grant a macorss license to anyone who does business with hg.

>>15304497
Their current lease doesn't expire till 2021 iirc.

>>15305599
How is their gay little movie coming along anyway? I saw an article in feb saying that "it's possibly one step closer to happening" which doesn't sound very committal
>>
>>15305676
It honestly doesn't matter. The movie would just be another flop like Dragonball Evolution. At this point, Robotech can only survive as a niche product, because getting any more well known would just cause people to become more aware of Macross and go to that instead.
>>
File: sad robofags.jpg (431KB, 1557x1077px) Image search: [Google]
sad robofags.jpg
431KB, 1557x1077px
Since robotech fans like to troll I thought I'd head over to the robotech forums to return the favor and take a shit on them but their official forums have been deleted. Ok, no big deal, I guess they all went to robotechx.. oh wow this is just sad.

No wonder they're trolling all the time their fandom is so dead they literally have nothing better to do.
>>
>>15305599
>decided to go watch or buy Macross merchandise instead
HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!
Isn't the whole crux of your butthurt hateboner for HG the fact that they deny you and everyone else the ability to watch Macross or buy merchandise? Is that not why you hate them so much that you ostracize people who watch the dub?
How can anyone possibly watch or buy Macross merchandise instead, as you have said, if HG is being an evil funkilling corporate boogeyman?
>>
>>15305894
It's almost as if these contradictory statements are made by completely different people. Shocking!
>>
Jesus anything with the Robotech name seems to get tagged for bad luck

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2017/02/kickstarter-robotech-rpg-tactics-how.html

>So, it seems like the guy that was / is to release the Rifts Boardgame Kickstarter got a huge amount of flack for his comments on the Robotech® RPG Tactics™Kickstarter on Friday and made an attempt on his own life later that day.
>>
>>15306002
I didn't even know they made a board game

>5,342 backers pledged $1,442,312 to help bring this project to life.
Yeap, Robotech is definitely dying.
>>
>>15306047
My understanding is 95% of the backers are macross/battletech fans who want the tiny little mechs for their own tabletop games.
>>
>>15305894
People are mad because they prevent Macross stuff from being officially released outside of Japan not that it's literally impossible to get you dumb doodoo face.
>>
>>15306047
Robotech isn't dying.

It IS dead, and has been for 20 years.
>>
>>15306070

I and several of my friends were backers and can confirm. Going into it we knew Kevin Sembieda was a fuck up, but we were led to believe that Ninja Division would have a larger role, amd that Harmony Gold was going to be hands off. The whole "RPG Tactics" aspect was always laughable, everyone I have ever talked to about it just wanted the minis first, was interested in the game second, literally nobody gave a flying shit about using it in conjunction with Kevin's RPG, and nobody was emotionally invested in the Robotech vs Macross thing.

That their funding drive for a new Robotech original show crashed and burned so spectacularly immediately after they raised 1.44 millions for the figures should have told Harmony Gold everything they needed to know about how people really feel about what they're doing with the IP.
>>
>>15306002
Apparently this carmen guy who allegedly attempted suicide is one of the team who worked on the robotech board game kickstarter. Ppl are pissed because they paid their money and 3 years later they haven't got anything.

What he's done is left the robotech board game trainwreck behind and started his own kickstarter for a new game. Understandably the backers of the last kickstarter weren't pleased by this development so it wasn't luck it was some guy being a jew and getting called out as far as I can tell.
>>
>>15305894
You forget "Robotech fans are screaming dolts."
>>
>>15306138

Carmen went onto the Robotech kickstarter forums and basically said "back my new project and I can get back onto the Palladium team and get the Robotech project finished too". The people who still regularly post there accused him of being a dip shit and said hurtful things, and I don't know why he expected anything else from people still posting in the comments section of a project that failed to deliver years ago. Apparently this was enough to make him try and kill himself. Kevin Sembieda wrote yet another super long email to the backers that essentially said it was their fault, which surprised exactly nobody.

Just another day for the Kickstarter backers, really.
>>
File: zijing.jpg (180KB, 850x1088px) Image search: [Google]
zijing.jpg
180KB, 850x1088px
>>15305894
>Isn't the whole crux of your butthurt hateboner for HG the fact that they deny you and everyone else the ability to watch Macross or buy merchandise? Is that not why you hate them so much that you ostracize people who watch the dub? How can anyone possibly watch or buy Macross merchandise instead, as you have said, if HG is being an evil funkilling corporate boogeyman?

I never grew up on Robotech but I was familiar with Macross Plus as a kid.

I'm not American, but after learning about Robotech, I was disgusted. How can America accuse other countries of IP theft when they themselves did shit like this? They also had the nerve to pretend Robotech has nothing to do with Macross. I mean it's so easy to take a show that's already animated and rewrite it.

Imagine what the animators would think after they worked their ass off just so that some dumb burger could rewrite the script and call the entire production his own.

Even though I said this, I'm not necessarily against its existence, but trying to cock block Maccross is disgusting. It is just as disgusting as Disney trying to prevent the Kimba / Jungle Leo movie from being shown because otherwise people will find out how much they ripped off Tezuka.

At least Astro Plan was its own original production, even though it ripped a few designs off Macross and Gundam.

Astro Plan > Robotech
>>
Seeing how HG got asshanded by Catalyst and Battetech/Mechwarrior got the Unseen back in action

Macross going back to east with someone very and powerful's help it isn't that far
>>
>>15306190
The main problems with the existence of HG and robotech are being unable to get any of the games in english, the official dvds/blu-rays not having english subs and no warranty support for the toys which is a pain because they're expensive and often have QC issues.

As for macek, he was kinda arrogant. When writing about working with tatsunoko on a robotech sequel he paints himself as the benevolent foreigner giving those poor dumb japs the gift of american storytelling.

>Disney trying to prevent the Kimba / Jungle Leo movie from being shown because otherwise people will find out how much they ripped off Tezuka.

That's really shitty of them, fuck those long nose disney assholes.
>>
>>15306223

in disney's case, they didn't managed to get kimba's rights.so they got angry and went with lion king.
>>
>>15306241
Yeah I knew Simba was first named kimba and he was originally white but disney cock blocking tezukas kimba the white lion is new to me.
>>
>>15306223
there's also the problem where HG goes around suing anyone for possible infringement

>sue hasbro for releasing SDCC Jetfire
>sue anyone with a transforming plane
>>
File: filecard.jpg (99KB, 750x384px) Image search: [Google]
filecard.jpg
99KB, 750x384px
>>15306716
The jetfire thing wasn't about the toy itself but the card that was included. A dick move, but legal which basically sums up everything hg does. I haven't heard of them suing for any other transforming jet toys
>>
>>15302810
which one of them all tho
>>
>>15306781
Probably a reference to the toynami 1/100 that broke while just sitting there in the display cabinet at a con
>>
>>15306745
no, it was the entire toy.

>Harmony Gold alleges that it is sustaining "substantial pecuniary damage" due to the sale and distribution of the toy set. The company is asking the court for the following: for Hasbro to stop selling, marketing, and distributing "unauthorized toys or other projects" based on Harmony Gold's copyrighted works; for Hasbro to deliver all toys or other products in their possession that violate the copyright; for Hasbro to be required to recall the toys from "any person or entity known to them who purchased or received" copies of the infringing products; for Hasbro to be "required to account for all gains, profits and advantages derived from their acts of infringement;" and for Hasbro to pay Harmony Gold the damages suffered from the infringements, any profits attributed to the sale or distribution of the products, exemplary damages, prejudgement interest, lawsuit costs, attorneys' fees, and any other relief the court deems appropriate.
>>
>>15306918
False. It was the card. They'd be laughed out of court if they tried to sue over the toy itself but the card is an airtight case in favor of hg.

Note it says toy SET and the rest of the statement is weasel worded and deliberately misleading. Hg saw free money and they took it.
>>
>>15302810
>>15304020
>>15306781
>>15306817
Actually, just about everything Toynami made under the Robotech brand was complete trash. Worst of all were the "Masterpiece" figures which came in these ultra decorative 'bookcase' boxes that were clearly designed to NEVER leave the box (with the Certificate of Authenticity printed 'on' on the box). These things were so brittle that if you tried removing them from the package they would fall to pieces. This went ditto for the Cyclone figures which were so unsuccessful that they only made a handful of units. I even came across one in a Bedrock Comics shop that was still in the box, but the pieces were disjointed and flailed all over the inside.

Thus, since making transforming toys was such a hassle, they tried making nonetransformable posing figures and they couldn't even get that rock. Once every found out how jas-as-busted those were, they simply tried to repackage them with clip-on armor packs which made the joints even heavier and more prone to self-destruction. What you see here is the infamous picture taken from a display case at the 2016 San Diego Comic Con, right from the RobotechX website because these people have no sense of give-a-fuck Toynami does.

The later toylines the company made were absolutely no different. Since making transformabe
>>
>>15306996
Not only prone to falling apart, these things could not even be properly posed, especially since the nontransformables didn't even come with stands. Here's another instance in a 2011 con where one of the Max variants fell off the top shelf and bodyslammed everything beneath it.
>>
File: SDCC2015-Toynami-Robotech-054.jpg (160KB, 1920x1276px) Image search: [Google]
SDCC2015-Toynami-Robotech-054.jpg
160KB, 1920x1276px
>>15307012
Toynami tried to shoot for simple human figurines. Here's a shot of the first prototypes in the 2015 SDCC where, even with a stand, "Rick" cannot even stay upright. This line has now been cancelled.
>>
File: Maia-Problems-2.jpg (369KB, 1162x750px) Image search: [Google]
Maia-Problems-2.jpg
369KB, 1162x750px
>>15307037
One of the biggest failures under Toynami was the initial release of the Shadow Chronicles Shadow Fighter which was so heavily flawed that it had to be recalled and re-released. On top of paint issues, hands dissolving (which was common in all of Toynami's figures), and units arriving broken on arrival, it was so lazy that even the gunpod it came with was completely impossible to fit in the hands of the figure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5A3aPY-fbQ
>>
My only issue with HG now is that now that SRW is finally getting English translations they'll be afraid to try for SRW's that have Macross in them, which is the majority of them for fear that HG will bug them.
>>
File: The MORE MACROSS Saga.png (387KB, 565x649px) Image search: [Google]
The MORE MACROSS Saga.png
387KB, 565x649px
So apparently they're also going to release an "archive" book. Wonder how much of uncredited/stolen artwork of Kawamori and Mikimoto is going to be in this shit.
>>
>>15307090
how can those guys sleep at night...
>>
>>15307090
They'll just say the Waltrips Brothers drew it.
>>
>always been a gundamfag
>never gave a damn about macross until recently

Watching the adaptation instead of the original Macross is a great way to feel ripped off without investing anything. It's a uniquely disappointing experience, knowing how much it was changed.
>>
>>15307090

Can't they sue for that?
>>
>>15307144
Their latest trick for the comics is tracing photographs of the yamato/arcadia macross toys, including the little hooks and locking tabs that don't appear on the "real" vf-1
>>
>>15306996
>>15307012
>>15307037
holy shit
>>
>>15307159
They've been selling Macross poster art and conceptual designs as Robotech property for a while. I'm guessing as long as they are sold as 'merchandise', any illustrations are just as fair game.

Tommy Yune and company have actually been seen toting around Kawamori's experimental SDF-1 designs and various drawings as "vintage Robotech art".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBMFNHsTlc
>>
File: 71EQRN7XIFL._SL1161_.jpg (164KB, 975x1161px) Image search: [Google]
71EQRN7XIFL._SL1161_.jpg
164KB, 975x1161px
>>15306996
>>15307012
>>15307037
>>15307057
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention: Due to all of the complaints issued from fans how fragile the toys were, especially given the $50-$60 price range, Toynami actually started releasing their products with the label "This is not a toy: FOR THE ADULT COLLECTOR". So yeah, instead of living up to proper quality control, they pretty much labeled the entire Robotech community as a bunch of grubby-handed children who don't know how to collect or take care of their purchases. This is even after the glaring "Ages 14 & Up" label on top of the box!
>>
>>15307174
Are hg running a competition to see who can be the biggest piece of shit or what? That is scummy as fuck
>>
>>15307187
lol, and who can blame them for being so contemptuous of the retards who still buy this shit?
>>
>>15307187
No wonder HG is now going with Kitz Concept for their Robotech merch. It looks like Toynami is out.
>>
File: sdf_1_by_emanshiu-d7p4gkh.jpg (642KB, 1372x1688px) Image search: [Google]
sdf_1_by_emanshiu-d7p4gkh.jpg
642KB, 1372x1688px
>>15307201
Here's something even more scummy.

Emmanuel Shiu is a digital mech painter who Harmony Gold hired to do some promotional artwork for them for con presentations (you'll notice his work as that hangar scene where Valkyries are being worked on). Apparently they got it in their heads that anything else he draws is just as much of their property as anything else under the Macross name, so they stole a piece of artwork he did from his website, added content to it, and then just posted it up as a random Facebook update without even crediting him. He was pissed when he found out about it and started a couple of responses on the Facebook page asking for some recognition and even pointed attention to the original version someone had posted. About a week later they finally put his name on it.

So with this, we have Ulpio Minucci (guy who orchestrated the music for Robotech) and Michael Bradley (former VA of Yellow Dancer and singer of his music) both making punches at Harmony Gold for running away with their material. It must be some kind of miracle that these people stay afloat when they keep fucking over their associates, who are possibly the only friends they have in trying to keep Robotech alive.
>>
>>15307174
I think he meant as in how their original license was specifically for airing rights for the anime, though I think it's known that they seem to think it's ok to "honor" their original agreement originally, but then pretty much was like "fuck you, you're a foreign company, we can do whatever we want with the shit".
>>
File: usa-number-1.jpg (15KB, 291x338px) Image search: [Google]
usa-number-1.jpg
15KB, 291x338px
>>15307340
>fuck you, you're a foreign company, we can do whatever we want with the shit

This is pretty much the reason why all of this shit is allowed.
Burgeristani legislature works on a simple basis.
Everyone on Earth must abide by it and US citizens > subhuman gaijin filth.

US will never step in to stop this fraud because it would mean admitting to foreign laws.
>>
>>15307120
pearl harbor kek
>>
>>15307314
>It must be some kind of miracle that these people stay afloat when they keep fucking over their associates, who are possibly the only friends they have in trying to keep Robotech alive.

The source of the problem is that Harmony Gold is not an import company or a media company.

They are a real estate company that occasionally make other investments.

Robotech is a tiny, tiny piece of their pie. They could take every penny they have even spent on Robotech up until now, put it in a huge pile, and burn it and the only result would be maybe one dude gets fired.But since that hasn't happened, they have already made back all of the money they invested in robotech and then some.

From their position, Robotech is a thing that they occasionally shake to see if there is any more money left in it, and in between those shakes they just let it sit in the basement forever on the of chance that maybe someone will pay them a ridiculous amount of money to get it back. It costs them nothing to keep it, and they have no obligation to do anything with it, so they just treat it as free money in the form of royalties for merchandise that apparently someone out there is still buying.

This is why HG are such assholes about the whole thing. They have nothing on the line here, no real desire to see the franchise succeed as anything other than a source of income, they have no reputation to protect or stake in this game. Its just something they own because of a business venture from decades ago that might be worth something but probably isn't.
>>
>>15302809
AND WE
>>
>>15308380
Just as a casual fan speaking, what harm does it have with the real franchise, preventing release of a live action Hollywood movie?

On a positive side, Robotech fans are getting old/dying, and new fans mostly more conscious and turn to Macross instead.
>>
>>15306942
>False. It was the card. They'd be laughed out of court if they tried to sue over the toy itself but the card is an airtight case in favor of hg.

No the court documents definitely referred to the entirety of the toy. And yes, they were laughed out of court, the case was dismissed without trial.
>>
>>15308888
>what harm does it have with the real franchise

Macross is massive in Japan but because of the Harmony Gold fraud, they can't show or sell the show to China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines, Korea, Europe, you name it.
Basically, it could have gotten similar in size to MSGundam series had it not been for these bastards.
>>
>>15308888
the harm of normalising disgusting business practices by terrible human beings with no moral fibre.
>>
>>15308888
Harmony Gold copyright parked the name "Macross" in a bunch of different countries including U.S., Canada, Europe, and actually some asian countries, which would effectively force Big West to pay Harmony Gold to show Macross even though Macross is Big West's property..
>>
>>15308967
Why has nobody attempted a hostile takeover of these fuckwits?
>>
>>15308973

because HG also had a name on Real State Development...
>>
>>15309016
apparently Frank "The HG Guy Who Isn't Macek" Argrama has ties to Silvio Berlusconi
>>
File: KururuSouchou1273698937.jpg (48KB, 500x618px) Image search: [Google]
KururuSouchou1273698937.jpg
48KB, 500x618px
>>15307037
Good quality!
>>
>>15307163
Any photos?
>>
>>15306002

Apparently a lot of the people who paid into the Kickstarter were like: "Thx for the sweet Battletech heritage Unseen mechs".

And the people behind it being the folks behind RIFTS reacted exactly like you'd expect the people behind a very juvenile RPG who got HG breathing down their neck would react...
>>
>>15306123
You know Robotech is out of style when vinyls are more in vogue again.
>>
>>15308380
THIS

Fuck HG and fuck Robotech fans. They keep feeding this beast by their nuthugging idiocy.
>>
>>15308973
The founder is a corrupt douchebad from Egypt.
The guy is literally like Trump.
Except instead of just selling his name, he's giving away other people's IPs to do it. If he didn't have judges in his pocket, we wouldn't even be having this thread.
>>
File: 1469224199358.jpg (124KB, 800x501px) Image search: [Google]
1469224199358.jpg
124KB, 800x501px
>>15309080
Here's one. I remember someone posted other comparison pictures, but I can't find them.
>>
>>15307090
Inb4 drawings from the VF-1 Master File appears in it
>>
>>15306190
>How can America accuse other countries of IP theft when they themselves did shit like this?

Remember that they only accepted that non-US citizens can actually potentially have IP rights maybe five years before HG got the license.
>>
>>15306996
>Worst of all were the "Masterpiece" figures which came in these ultra decorative 'bookcase' boxes that were clearly designed to NEVER leave the box (with the Certificate of Authenticity printed 'on' on the box). These things were so brittle that if you tried removing them from the package they would fall to pieces.

Simpson Comic Book Guy approves of this.
>>
>>15307076
But aren't the International release still considered Asia release? Why would HG have any holdings over an Asia version of a game?
>>
>>15307090
When did Udon and HG team up?

On a real note, I wouldn't mind some of the IDW Transformer artist to take a crack at some Macross Saga mecha.
>>
>>15308900
They weren't laughed out of court they got a settlement and it was most definitely about the card, not the toy. The toy does not infringe on HGs IP, the card does. You're a moron who doesn't know what they're talking about.

There was no way hasbro was going to get away with releasing that vf-1 card without paying HG money and paying hg is what they ended up doing.
>>
Any word on the Robotech live-action is Sony realizing they were tricked into buying damaged goods?
>>
>>15312300
sony thought an all female ghostbusters movie was a good idea and approved sequel afetr the first one flopped hard they don't know what the fuck they're doing
>>
>>15312325
That reminds me, did they ever make more of Tenma-san ga Yuku?
>>
>>15311694
People here often say that HG doesn't hold any international rights anymore and the only reason it wasn't released in the west only because HG got trademark on Macross.

But that's not true. HG didn't trademark Macross in Asia, yet not a single Macross work was ever officially released or streamed there. Even Delta.

So it seems HG has some power even in Asia.
>>
>>15309030
>>15309243
I wonder if there're any Macross fans out there rich enough to hire a hitman?
>>
>>15312300
Harmony Gold says Sony is incredibly invested in the whole project, but the only people who are really crazy about this thing and speaking for it are themselves, producers Mark Canton and [dude who also produced 300 and things], and James Wan who has expressed interest via Facebook that he hopes to get involved after Aquaman.

Sony, on the other hand, hasn't said a word since their private showcasing to investors last year on what movies they had coming up in their pipeline; Robotech was one of them. HG has been saying that they were talking exclusively with studio execs, but all that seemed to come out of that was getting Robotech on Sony's glitchy Crackle streaming platform, which later had it put back on Netflix. In the midst of incredible doubt and skepticism that nothing was being done on the movie, HG randomly blurted out that Sony wanted to see how the series was viewed on streaming sites first. Harmony Gold marketing manager, Kevin Mckeever, also said this in an interview: "“They (Sony) want to learn about the franchise. There are a lot of people at Sony who have different knowledge levels of the franchise. Some people know it really well and go, ‘Oh my god, we’ve got Robotech!’ Others are like, ‘Okay, I kinda know Robotech but tell me more about it.’ Others are like, ‘We have this Robotech thing… What is it? Tell me more about it.’ It’s all very positive. Sony is very pro Robotech. They’re very engaged to the point where we’re really talking with them, which did not happen with the previous studio.”

So it sounds like Sony really isn't into this whole thing as HG and Robofans would like people to believe. They clearly don't know anything about what they got themselves into, and actually need convincing that this franchise still has an audience.

Its also funny how they are shitting on Warner Bros. They were saying that Warner wanted a movie out more than they did once! 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTHHhkMAIP4
>>
>>15311778
>>15308900
>>15306942

There is no court document that mentions specifically the card. The official filing mentions the entirety of the toy, package, and all. The only thing I've found saying that "HG meant the card" is this by a transfag http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/harmony-gold-suing-hasbro-over-the-sdcc-jetfire-set.947905/page-10

So it comes down to, HG actually had a case if they only pointed out the card artwork, but they instead got greedy and tried to do it for the entire thing?
>>
File: mress3.jpg (18KB, 192x200px) Image search: [Google]
mress3.jpg
18KB, 192x200px
>>15307174
>Protoculture Con 2016
>"Celebrating 30 years of Robotech"
>Dealer's exhibition has absolutely nothing but imported Japanese merchandise, majority of it being straight Macross, even Macross 7
>Only cosplayer is a child dressed as a valkyrie
>"Robotech Archive" gallery is all experimental Macross designs from Japan.
>Banners are nothing but Macross
>ONLY thing in this whole video that showcases anything else is a couple of screenshots from Southern Cross characters because the voice actors showed up
What ever 'is' the Robotech fandom? I lurk around and see all sorts of Robotech fans droning on and on about how self-reliant and "original" their syndication experiment is and yet 'all' I see anywhere is nothing but Macross.

Even with this crazy Chinese bitch, who spurges on anyone talking about Macross or Japanese-whatever on her channel, has image bumpers on her videos from the Japanese Pachiko and Do You Remember Love that represent the refurbished movie version of the SDF-1 and pointed eared Zentradi that are not canon to Robotech. Fuck, her "Macross Saga" videos are the Japanese HD remasters, nude scenes and all, with the Robotech track slapped over it!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC60eTulFRAOLbGsBF_Zv7TA/videos
>>
>>15316394
Robotech fan know that their interest is a US bastardization of a Japanese series yet they've convinced themselves that it's "an original work". I don't think any other fandom of Americanized anime comes close to this kind of sperggory. Even Voltron fans admit that it came from Golion and Dairugger.

They honestly deserve to be disappointed and abused by Harmony Gold. I once had sympathy for these people, but now I can't fathom how they even breathe.
>>
>>15308766
AT
>>
>>15317031
ROBOTECHX.COM
>>
I guarantee Farouk Agrama has ties to ISIS.
>>
File: Protoculture.jpg (127KB, 704x525px) Image search: [Google]
Protoculture.jpg
127KB, 704x525px
>>15317037
ARE ALL
>>
File: all laughing.jpg (225KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
all laughing.jpg
225KB, 2048x1228px
>>15317637
ALL LAUGHING
>>
Am I the only fucking Robotech fan who just wants the books reissued and to lay the whole thing to rest?

I'll admit my dream would be to have various Macross shows come to the US as Macross but with Robotech dubs too. But Macross first. Sick of this dicking around shit.
>>
>>15309216

Robotech fan here. Believe me, the ones I know hate Harmony Gold and are sick of their bullshit too.
>>
>>15317823
It's kinda sad that Robotech fans think filling up a classroom shows their popularity, when Marcoss has been filling stadiums for the past 20 years.
>>
>>15317878
I've noticed that too. The Knerdout guys on Youtube are both Robotech fans but hate Harmony Gold and Toynami with a passion. The only reason they don't like Macross fans is because they're all massive weebs.
>>
>>15315878
It's not really a matter of being greedy. It was unrealistic to expect hasbro to recall just the card featuring the trademarked macross design, Any court ruling would be for the entire package as-sold.

Anyway the goal was never to get hasbro to do a recall the goal was to settle out-of-court for as much money as possible.

Had hasbro refused to settle, they had zero chance of defending that card in court, Images of the VF-1 fall under hg's exclusive distribution and merchandising license for the SDF-Macross tv series. The jetfire toy itself was irrelevant beyond being part of the set.
>>
>>15317876
You're not alone. I'd love to get the Sentinel and other non main series novels reissued. They were the genuinely good part of Robotech.
>>
File: Robotech EU.png (4MB, 1746x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech EU.png
4MB, 1746x1250px
>>15317876
>>15318272
They were all release as e-books, even the sentinel novels. They're all on amazon, with updated covers to match.

>But "Muh Physical Copies"
Its better than nothing. Plus like this thread talked about, HG would not put that much money/effort into a physical release anyways.
>>
>>15318272
couldn't you read something good and move on instead of humping this zombie leg?
>>
>>15318326
> read something good
Fuck you nigger, Jack McKinney aka James Luceno and Brian Daley are some good scifi writers. Both wrote for Star Wars, Luceno wrote both Tarkin and Catalyst for the new canon recently. With Daley writing the first non-movie EU novels for star wars and the wrote the radio dramas of the Original Trilogy.
>>
>>15318347
>new canon
>new star wars
kek

Being a good screenwriter for popcorn flicks does not a good sci-fi novelist make.
>>
>>15318363
You stupid fuck, Daley has been dead for a decade. And where in that post is it stated and/or insinuated that Luceno is a screenwriter? How about looking/reading up his credentials before you make yourself look like an ass. He also wrote plenty of old star wars EU.

Plus being that autistic about disney star wars. Go choke on your autism and die already.
>>
>>15318380
haha wow get a load of the butthurt on this guy. Who said the old star wars eu was any good?

closer to fantasy than sci fi
>>
>>15318488
>closer to fantasy than sci fi
>still confirming scifi elements

Yeah, your still a fucking nigger with that way of thinking.
>>
>>15318499
You're still so hung up on a bad localization from the 80's that you want to re-read the NOVELS. I wouldn't criticize anybodys thinking If I were you. So mad.
>>
>>15318318
>updated covers
If those are the updated covers, I don't want to see the original ones.
>>
>>15318511
>bad localization from the 80's
Talking about the Sentinel novels you dipshit. The stuff based on new material. But by all means keep digging yourself into that autistic hole of yours. Definitely questioning your trail of thinking now.
>>
>>15318525
Jesus, stop giving the faggot (you)s. I agree with you on the Robotech novels but all your doing now is giving a shitty illiterate troll the attention he so desperately craves.
>>
>>15318529
>calling someone who reads actual novels, not glorified fan fiction illiterate

Kek. Novels based on existing properties are for plebs and nobody would have ever read them without the brand recognition.
>>
The only good thing to come out of Robotech was that PS2 game
Really, it's better than most Macross games.
>>
>>15318614
One of the better Collector's Editions for a game. It came with a lot of goodies!!

>better than most Macross games.
Not totally disagreeing with you. Cause A.C.E. 2 is technically a Macross game. But personally that had the best flow of combat and transformation in mid combat, gameplay wise.
>Plus no Catseye Recon escort missions
>>
File: Battlecry CE.png (1MB, 1304x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Battlecry CE.png
1MB, 1304x1052px
>>15318694
forgot my picture
>>
>>15318694
>One of the better Collector's Editions for a game. It came with a lot of goodies!!
Yeah, I got the PS2 version when it came down in price to $20. Not bad for all the stuff, and I was on a big mecha dog tag kick around that time so it was right up my alley.
>>
>>15318318
Who the fuck made those covers? Did they hire a 10 year old who just found out about MS paint for two bucks and an ice cream cone?
>>
>>15318700
>JACK ARCHER
>ROBOTECH DEFENSE FORCE

I hear the game was ok, but these names are derpy
>>
File: Battlecry Tie-in.jpg (100KB, 486x800px) Image search: [Google]
Battlecry Tie-in.jpg
100KB, 486x800px
>>15318521
those are the original covers from the original releases, but the layout temple was update to match the physical re-releases that came out with the Battlecry video game in 2003.

>>15318705
Some uncredited artist from 1987
>>
>>15318741
You just know it's good when it's a 3-in-1 and tied in to a video game.
>>
>>15318733
Any more derpy than Rick Hunter? Standard Carl Macek procedure.
But they built up Jack as a decent character:
Merc during the Global War
Ally and Enemy of Roy Fokker many different times
Part of Wolf Squadron to tie into Sentinel and Shadow Chronicles

Here's a quick vid bio from the game about Jack Archer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWT-HH-upQ
>>
File: 3 in 1 AMIRITE.jpg (48KB, 246x400px) Image search: [Google]
3 in 1 AMIRITE.jpg
48KB, 246x400px
>>15318750
>know it's good when it's a 3-in-1
>and tied in to a video game
>>
>>15318776
Oh boy it's got the xbox logo and everything I can smell the brown paper and the discount sticker advesive through my screen
>>
>>15317878
>>15317893
Robofags seem to have battered wife syndrome. They know that their crap franchise is tainted goods and the higher-ups of HG fuck them over yet they can't seem to escape from it. This shit is almost as bad as how Marvel fans cling to their books despite editors giving the finger to long-time readers.

>>15317014
You see this is what I don't get about Robotechers. Every single one I've met has this knee-jerk reaction whenever someone reminds them that Robotech is derived from Japanese TV. They spew bullshit like "Robotech took 3 shows that failed in Japan and made it into a multi-generational epic". Some even claim that Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross are a lot like those 80's USA cartoons that got outsourced to Japan.

>>15312555
Everyone here on /m/ should read about how Hollywood took Matsushita and Sony for a ride in the 90's. The Hollywood Jews tricked Japan into bailing them out. Both corporations lost a ton of money by thinking that owning Columbia Pictures and Universal Studios would help integrate their electronics divisions via media immersion.

Sony Pictures should've done their homework, but like typical Hollywood suits, they didn't do their research and now they're stuck with a dead-end project that they paid HG for.
>>
>>15318881
>Every single one I've met has this knee-jerk reaction whenever someone reminds them that Robotech is derived from Japanese TV.
At least with Power Rangers, they film entirely new footage. But what exactly did HG make for Robotech? All the footage, designs, characters, etc. was Japanese. Even the scripts were wholly Japanese which HG later took and made Protoculture into this all-encompassing MacGuffin.
>>
File: 1488783179457.jpg (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1488783179457.jpg
61KB, 800x600px
>>15302809
Anyone know if pic related is from a video or something?
>>
PSA

HG lost the rights to bitch about Btech Unseen rights

Civil War Will feature more Unseen like the Stone Rhino

>https://mwomercs.com/civil-war
>>
>>15319341

OLYFUDG

>RAC Autocannons
>MW4 Gud Shit
>Kitty2 being released without delay

now i have a reason to play PIG jewish game again
>>
>>15319166
A lot of the EU material is really where most fans come from. The novels, and the games are what are generally respected.
>>
>>15319166

The rewrite is more intensive than that. The idea of a multi-generational sci-fi war story is really cool. Granted, that was a side effect of merging the shows.
>>
>>15319166
>>15319373

Also Robotech has a fantastic OST. Maybe not the best vocals, but killer instrumentals.
>>
>>15319381
Nein. Instrumentals are shit compared to Dogfighter. Also, the Robotech theme itself sounds like a poorly done Superman theme.
>>
>>15318380
Not that anon, but everything he quoted was from the section you wrote about someone who did something "recently". It seems odd that you'd switch it over to someone he never referenced that died a decade ago and start cussing 'im out.
>>
>>15319373
>The rewrite is more intensive than that. The idea of a multi-generational sci-fi war story is really cool.

I don't think you got what anon was saying; the process of getting all three shows together really wasn't that extensive storywise as all but Southern Cross kept the majority of their individual stories intact. Essentially all Macek did was take these three shows and claimed they were in the same universe; he changed the music to be one identical track, some names so that some characters and events could 'connect', and gave the antagonists (the Masters) a little screentime in Macross. That's pretty much it. Much of everything in story on Macross and Mospeada was all kept intact, right down to the general gist of dialogue in scenes, even if a lot of it was being sprinkled with doses of sarcasm to lighten things up a bit. You can call Hikaru "Rick all you want but that doesn't change the fact that he still acts and talks like Hikaru, falls in love with the same women, and goes through the same problems. Same for all the characters in Mospeada. There really wasn't all that much in way of "originality" in the making of Robotech.
>>
>>15319480

I don't think you get what I was saying. As light as those changes may have been line by line, their ompact on the overall narrative and story is fairly large.
>>
>>15319670
Large impact does not mean large effort. For example, I can say Luke Skywalker is a descendant of Spock. Changes things greatly but I barely did shit.
>>
>>15319373
>The rewrite is more intensive than that.
>intensive
>>15319670
>I don't think you get what I was saying. As light as those changes may have been
>light

wtf. it's like you don't even know what you're trying to say.
>>
>>15319691

Well... exactly. That entirely rewrites the history of the two franchises.

>>15319716

Small changes that had very large and far reaching impacts on ghe narrative.

Kind of one of those pebbles that starts an avalanche deals.
>>
>>15320300
You just compared Macek's work to worthless pebbles.
>>
>>15320328

If you want to ignore how analogies work, sure.
>>
>>15320328
I guess he's gonna pretend you didn't say "compared".
>>
File: schleinkofer_transformers_g1.jpg (580KB, 1024x801px) Image search: [Google]
schleinkofer_transformers_g1.jpg
580KB, 1024x801px
>>15318705
David Schleinkofer painted the covers of the original McKinney novels. He was a fairly prolific SF artist in the 80s and G1 Transformers fans should be familiar with his work, including pic related.
>>
>>15320472
Most of his Robotech stuff was okay. Breetai had some beard stubble but nothing as amazing as that one more modern piece with "Problem, Micronians?" and "PROTOCULTURE BLOWJOB WOO WOO WOO"
>>
>>15318776

To be fair, the Halo books are unreasonably good.
>>
File: Problem Micronians Full.jpg (255KB, 1000x1549px) Image search: [Google]
Problem Micronians Full.jpg
255KB, 1000x1549px
>>15320482
>>
>>15311383

don't get it
>>
File: 1322032285771.jpg (508KB, 2193x2859px) Image search: [Google]
1322032285771.jpg
508KB, 2193x2859px
>>15320660
You see the circled shit. That isn't on model, it is shit that was put on the toys for holding parts on. Basically HG's artists us the toys for their art.
>>
>>15318755
holy shit I remember this game. One of my friends was the biggest Robotech fan since his dad loved it
crazy
he was one of the few people that got the special edition
lol his mom was kinda of chubby but she wore really see through pants and had a black thong on one time
>>
>>15320482
He was just lashing out because of the whole robotech thing. That guy has had street cred since OG cyberpunk gurps, a true commissions king.
>>
>>15320676
holy shit, when does the license expire???? or is it forever
>>
File: 2017-03-15-23-36-45--184730299.jpg (409KB, 1308x960px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-15-23-36-45--184730299.jpg
409KB, 1308x960px
>>15320660
It's traced you imbecile. Their new comics are nothing but traces of official art.
>>
>>15320680
So you, uh, remember those things better than the game itself?
>>
>>15311383
It not traced, the angle of the fuselage is completely different from the model promo. They just used a reference, not a big deal considering toys are often used as references by artists.
>>
>>15320707
Hg's current lease expires in 2021

>>15321065
Not that guy, the trace wasn't done from that particular photos, but I'd put 50/50 odds on the "artist" actually owning the toy vs he traced a photo of the toy off google images.
>>
>>15321065
Nobody said it was traced from that pic, that pic is just showing the model which was photo'd for the trace.
>>
>>15321210
>Hg's current lease expires in 2021
So is there actually a chance that it's not going to get renewed this time?
>>
>>15321241
There's no reason to suspect it won't be renewed same as the last 3(?) times. but there is SOME hope and here's why:

The wild card is bandai. The current lease with hg was signed march 20, 2008 and macross frontier aired the next month in april.

I don't think this is a coincidence since that lease wasn't due to expire until 2011, It's likely the early renewal had something to do with frontier and bandai ( a massive corporation ) stepping into the ring,

Perhaps the deal was signed early to prevent bandai from leasing the license in 2011 if frontier had proved successful.
>>
>>15320328
That's actually an apt comparison.
>>
>>15321261

Bandai isn't a license holder, Bandai would be a licensee.

Also, wouldn't matter, HG still copyrighted the Macross Trademark in an number of countries outside Japan. So anyone would still be paying HG to use "macross" if those letters are anywhere
>>
>>15306190
>Astro Plan

You magnificent troll.

I dunno about the rest of you but an honest to god macross minis game sounded like a fun idea.
>>
File: ROBOTECH-teaser-Antonio.jpg (826KB, 1889x1829px) Image search: [Google]
ROBOTECH-teaser-Antonio.jpg
826KB, 1889x1829px
>>15321065
Its really just to show that the molds for that particular toy were used for the trace, especially to show where the armor pack pieces clip on. Even more damning is that they didn't even bother to use their own toys for pictures like this, which shows how little of a spine these people have with their product.

Besides I wouldn't use that artist's 'accuracy' for detail as evidence that he didn't trace anything. Look how long the barrel is on that gunpod!
>>
File: Robotech_Roy_Veritech_Mariano.jpg (860KB, 2892x1742px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech_Roy_Veritech_Mariano.jpg
860KB, 2892x1742px
Here's another
>>
>>15321990
Authorities are more and more keen on shutting up patent trolls; copyright/trademark trolls might be next. Hell, in Canada, they're considering "Use it or Lose It" legislation for telecoms that have rights for shows but don't broadcast them. Or we just hope the next US mass shooter does something useful like shooting up whoever does HG's lawyering instead of an elementary school.
>>
>>15320472
Why does Optimus there look like that scrawny nerd that got bullied and shoved into lockers in high school?
>>
>>15318881

>SDF Macross
>Failure

wew
>>
>>15323673
This is a Robotecher's Logic. They seriously think they saved Macross for some convoluted reason. I once had one tell me that it was HG's licensing money that got DYRL made.
>>
Remember that the Dreamcast port of Super Robot Wars Alpha was going to be localized before HG threw a shitfit
>>
>>15323767
>need help for these background scribbles

What does it matter? At the end of the day, they only give a shit if it's about the VFs in the Macross Saga anyways.

When was the last time "Robotech" wasn't synonymous with "Macross Saga"?
>>
File: sadness.jpg (47KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
sadness.jpg
47KB, 500x438px
>>15323935
They are absolutely desperate for new content, they've turned QUALITY into a new VF model (the 1R) and turned the Orguss Cameo into a suit of Cast-Off armor like the Armored VF.
>>
>>15307037
Minmay a shit
>>
>>15319358
That shit wouldn't even exist if Robotech didn't derive itself from 3 anime series to use as a template. No shit it's easy to come up with supplementary material when the groundwork was already laid out.
>>
>>15317014
Latin American fags are the root of this problem. Those stupid fucktards are the ones that actively support HG for whatever half-assed project that gets tossed around.
>>
>>15323967
It's a good thing HG is largely ignorant of the Macross Master Files, just imagine how many more decades they could keep this fiasco going if they got their greasy mitts on the art in those.
>>
>>15325579
You might be onto something. That fag who runs robotechx and nearly got divorced by spending their savings to fly robotech voice actors to south america is some kind of latino/mexican/wahatever.
>>
>>15325579
>>15325602
Argiefag here, there was also a local kickstarter to make a live action movie. Cant recall how that ended as it was years ago.

For what its worth though, robotech isnt much of a thing among the younger anime fanbase (the 90s trinity, db, seiya and sailor moon are pushed way more, even among newcomers) so the interest will eventually fade away. The few people I know that like robotech aren't really vocal about it, they just like it and that's it.
>>
File: Robotech Fandumb.png (53KB, 1028x898px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech Fandumb.png
53KB, 1028x898px
>>15325602
The guy whose obsessed with the caps lock key? That's Memo1dominion. He was also the moderator of Robotech.com.

I'm not even sure if he's Hispanic or whatever as it was pointed out he was responsible for translating Robotech material and news to South American fans over the Internet and even that turned into jumbled up garbage. Whatever he is, he's borderline illiterate and may legitimately be mentally retarded.
>>
>>15325761
Surprise surprise, Robofans are retards who follow every word of the HG party line.

I'm actually surprised Robotech.com's forum got deleted because HG couldn't deal with their fans starting to wise up (finally). Hopefully in another decade these fuckwits are too old to matter anymore.
>>
>>15325761
>refuses to stop posting in all caps after decades of people telling him to stop it
>may legitimately be retarded

You think so?

>>15325826
I'm not surprised. That forum was investor kryptonite. It was dead as fuck and anyone actually still posting was clearly mentally ill.
>>
>>15325854
Oh I know the forums had to be shut down from a management POV, but it also burnt a lot of bridges with their fandom. Then again, there was that Kickstarter campaign so you're still gonna have a couple dumbasses being gullible.
>>
>>15325639
HG sued them and they had to cave in. I think it was Chileans.
>>
>>15302809
>implying HG has anything remotely close to engineer something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vKsCP9lRgg
>>
>>15326302
Fighter to gerwalk transformation is way too complex.
>>
>>15326460
>i cant into geometry
Fuck off hg fag
>>
>>15321041
yeah lol cant believe this thread is still up
>>
File: macross.gif (484KB, 317x174px) Image search: [Google]
macross.gif
484KB, 317x174px
>>15317823
lot of white guys with azn women,
white guys and azn women love robotech
now we know their main demographics
>>
I just have to say I started all this with robotech, remember watching it on Toonami and then I bought the game battlecry and the dvd boxes
Once I realize what Macross was I left robotech since it is gay shit. only robotech thing I like is this picture that was on robotech.com back in 2002
>>
File: robotech only pic i like.jpg (70KB, 514x780px) Image search: [Google]
robotech only pic i like.jpg
70KB, 514x780px
>>15326710
>>
File: Awacon Robotech.jpg (223KB, 970x835px) Image search: [Google]
Awacon Robotech.jpg
223KB, 970x835px
>>15317823
>>
Where did the "we at robotechx are laughing" thing originate from? I never watched the show but I see it pop up from time to time.
>>
>>15317893
>the only reason they don't like the series that is the only reason anyone ever gave half a shit about Robotech is due to the fanbase
Oh, so they're retarded.
Then again, anyone who still cares about Robotech in 2017 is retarded, so I'm not too surprised.
>>
>>15327052
>The only reason they don't like Macross fans
>Macross fans
>>
>>15326710
There's nothing to be ashamed of for liking Robotech before you knew better. There IS something seriously wrong if someone continues to be a die-hard Robo nuthugger in this day and age.

>>15326701
This is why a Robotech live-action is irrelevant. Just look at how amazing this animation is despite being more than 30 years old.
>>
File: delta concert.jpg (90KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
delta concert.jpg
90KB, 640x426px
>>15327052
>wanting to be a part of this autism

Robotech fanbase is worse but not by much.
>>
>>15327555

Back in the day Robotech was the only way to get anime. It's fine if you liked it, back in the 80s.

Now though with actual Macross accessible, clinging to Robotech (and hating Macross despite it literally being the same damn thing only not butchered) is not only beyond pathetic but actively supports Harmony Gold in cockblocking the actual product.
>>
Bryan Cranston was english VA for Macross Plus
lol I think back and see where he started. Macross is just better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEWLj_unfHA
>>
The Macross RISES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smxf_53jEI8
>>
>>15330956
yeah... my husband beats me couple times, but ...really, he really is a nice person. Sure, Sometimes he drinks, but really that's OK. I'm Ok, don't worry. No... really...
>>
>>15327714
>Back in the day Robotech was the only way to get anime.
"wrong"
>>
>>15327714
>Back in the day Robotech was the only way to get anime.

Not even remotely close. Astro-Boy, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets/G-Force, Starblazers, Voltron (same year as Robotech), Mighty Orbots, and Nickelodeon's anime block were all before or contemporaries of Robotech. There are probably more I have forgotten about. As a kid I remember playing G-Force and Voltron with friends, but we were barely aware of Robotech (it either didn't air or aired at a weird hour in our area), we knew it had toys but that was about it.
>>
>>15327038
When Macross Frontier began airing, a video of Ranka singing started spreading around and Robotech fags from the Robotechx.com forums came to /m/ to shit on us for liking Macross.
>>
>>15331386
Not even. There was a copypasta that was going around about Robotech-fags pretending to be Macross-fags and going to Mari Iijima's Facebook and shitting it up with Minmei crap. The copypasta ended with "And we at robotechx.com all laughing!"
>>
>>15331412
Well shit, didn't know that.
>Mari Iijima
Is she still around anymore? Last I heard she shut off her twitter or something.
>>
>>15305894
Dude, you can watch all of the source materials unedited by Carl "let's make a deal" Macek on Amazon video.
>>
>>15331417
She went coo-coo for cocoa puffs when her pet rabbit died a few years back and I stopped following her on facebook. She's still making music as far as I know.
>>
I feel like all it would take is one good lawsuit at this point. If only someone had the time, money, and balls to license a Macross series, we'd be able to put this whole thing to bed.
>>
>>15331473
If I ever win the lotto anon, that shall be one of my eccentric multi-millionaire projects.
>>
>>15331473
With more and more Macross stuff getting release back to back in japan, anime , tv, movies, toys, it's only a matter of time before someone in japan gets serious with this HG BS. Anything Frontier and after should be clear .
>>
>>15332031
>t's only a matter of time before someone in japan gets serious with this HG BS. Anything Frontier and after should be clear .
This. Japanese prefer to resolve things out of court, but when they bring in the lawyers, they are DEADLY serious. The Ultraman fiasco between Tsuburaya and Chaiyo is proof of this.
>>
can someone tell me what robotech is in a nutshell, compared to macross?
>>
>>15333438
Macross: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross happens and Zentradi truly begin to get along with humans. Both races work together to restore Earth and colonize space. Song energy is discovered and is linked to spiritia , which is utilized by song and can be used to confuse and deter hostile aliens and things.

Robotech: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross sorta happens, but humans and Zentradi never get along and Earth becomes a hell-hole of civil unrest and alien invasions. Humans venture out into space and begrudgingly (because a lot of humans are xenophobic) start making allies with other aliens to fight against a horde race of slug people called Invid and everything slowly starts turning into Star Trek. Protoculture is also the main source of fuel in this universe which is derived from magical alien space flowers, which enables this fuel to power ANYTHING and is the main reason for all the fighting. It also has supernatural abilities to give people psychic visions, mental insanity, used for making biological clones (Zentradi) like clay, outright turning people into newtypes, or whatever plot device is called for in each story. Its whatever anyone writes it to be.
>>
>>15333726
im talking why is robotech a thing? did Americans sorta like just steal it from the japs? how come their is no copyright stuff?
>>
>>15333752
the company licensed SDFM and tried selling it direct to video but they were a decade or so early for the video tape anime market, so they repacked it with a couple of other shows they got the rights to in order to pad it out to the minimum number of episodes for tv services to pick it up
>>
>>15327564

the only answer for it

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNqUyf0op0
>>
>>15333752
Macros was made by Studio Nu in conjunction with Big West. Somewhere down the road the series runs into financial problems and they make a deal with another studio, Tatsunoko Production, to help cheaply outsource the animation (why animation is never consistent in the series) and also assist with overseas distribution.Tatsunoko sells distribution rights and footage to the US company, Harmony Gold. In order to meet syndication requirements, Harmony Gold purchased rights to two other shows and molded them into Macross continuity to make the series longer and called the whole thing Robotech; none of the original artists, directors, or illustrators got any credit for it, and all the recognition went to Carl Macek and his team for editing the stories together. Robotech, due to the mature storylines of the source material, becomes the edgiest thing on television and creates a large influx of fans in the US. HG gets more full of themselves and now believe that Robotech is completely its own thing to the point that they have complete ownership of Macross. This turns out not to be true after bringing the situation into court which determined that Tatsunoko only had rights for overseas distribution purposes (which entitles sales of books, comics, and other merchandise) and not direct permission to make derivative works using the material. Due to this copyright inconsistency, they are not able to use anything in Macross for actual projects, and its the most popular part of Robotech everyone likes. Other studios and networks don't wish to get involved in this clusterfuck, so possible investors end up bailing and canceling deals.
>>
>>15333805
We all know Sony just has to throw Studio Nue and Big West some money and everything will be resolved.
>>
>>15333856
Which is not what they're doing. Harmony Gold's marketing manager, Kevin Mckeever, has already stated that Sony can release this proposed movie worldwide EXCEPT in Japan. Further, Tommy Yune and team have confirmed that they are not using the VF-1 designs and are going to design the mechs off of new planes and 'original' designs. This is just the same route they went down with Warner Bros; they want to make this completely copyright free so that no royalties of any kind will be payed to the Japanese. They want this to be their baby, and theirs alone, but they don't have the capabilities to come up with original material and end up bleeding the project out in hiatus.
>>
File: PROGRESS.png (100KB, 297x229px) Image search: [Google]
PROGRESS.png
100KB, 297x229px
>>15333879
Speaking of copyright shitfests, anyone remember that Argentinian group that made that Robotech fan film which ended up getting 'Cease-and'-Desist' spanked by Harmony Gold?

Well they finally resurfaced with a new fan film pitch and have cut away all of the Macross stuff and ended up making this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWGYJ2BEJJE&t=3s

I think it gives a pretty accurate legal perspective on what Sony's project will end up being. Assuming it ever gets made, that is.
>>
>liking either macross or robotech

They are both shit. Transformers is king.
>>
>>15333931
Grimlock is that you?
>>
>>15333931
>Transformers

Every single design from that franchise with the exception of Optimus Prime himself gives me extreme nausea just by looking. What do people find appealing about these things anyway?
>>
>>15335707

If they had to 'ease us into it', why haven't they done anything since?
>>
>>15335707
>that was the best they had
something something Starblazers
>>
>>15318755
>>15318700
>Jack Archer

I remember that one quest thread on /tg/ a few years ago where he was a recruitable guy, and his YF-1R was outperforming VF-25s with tornado packs, holy cow.
>>
>mfw this thread is still up
Why the fuck are people responding to this weak sauce? And how are there still Robotechers defending this shit?
>>
File: model.jpg (33KB, 478x768px) Image search: [Google]
model.jpg
33KB, 478x768px
>>15320676
>Basically HG's artists us the toys for their art.
Oh no an artist? Using a model?!?!?
>>
>>15338024
>Why the fuck are people responding to this weak sauce? And how are there still Robotechers defending this shit?
Old wounds run deep anon
>>
>>15338450
It's analogous to an artist just plain drawing the armature instead of using the armature as a guide for drawing an actual person.
0/10 for lack of comprehension on your part.
>>
File: vf-1j-super-gerwalk-max.gif (97KB, 850x696px) Image search: [Google]
vf-1j-super-gerwalk-max.gif
97KB, 850x696px
>>15338450
Which would not be a problem if they, you know, left out the bits that make the toy work but aren't on the actual robot. For instance, in >>15311383 the bits for clipping on the Super Parts and that little hook on the tail section for locking it down in Fighter mode are clearly visible despite not being on the "real" model.
>>
What would it take for someone to purchase Robotech and its macross related shittery?

What would it take for some guy to just say "eyy Im doing a hostile take over of all of your robotech/macross rights and assets. After I give you an ungodly chunk of money, I'll make sure you'll never have your fingers in it again, while working closely with Studio Nue to spread Macross over the globe."?

I mean, if Disney can buy Star Wars, I'd say any kind of franchise manhandling is possible, given the right amount of cash.
>>
>>15339308
I don't know if that's a donut or just Kodachi as a meltran
>>
>>15339308
With Robotech having been on life support for years, it needs to actually push out something new and eye-catching enough to get the attention of someone with that kind of ungodly mad bank. This is understandably the greatest hurdle, since Robotech has effectively had nothing come out for it in the last decade except for failures, in every sense of the word.

Assuming that happens, the potential new owner must then be able to stomach the inevitably statanic price tag HG will try and put on it. It's one thing to pay for an ongoing franchise like Star Wars, it's another to shell out for something that just popped out of nowhere and hasn't established (or in this case, re-established) itself.

HG being HG, in the event that a breakthrough happens, means that they'll never let go of Macross without a tussle (understandable, seeing that their dead goose just revived itself and shat out a golden egg and didn't immediately die from the exertion), which means that the buyer must have some serious dosh to overpower HG's lust for money. It is entirely believable for HG to attempt to jack the price up to Star Wars level.

All the above assumes that at least someone at HG wants to do things the right way for once. As things are, they seem content to kick back and watch as a handful of idiots continue to feed them what amounts to pocket money for companies, in exchange for what is essentially fucking nothing.
>>
>>15338024
>Why the fuck are people responding to this weak sauce?
Everyone stopped talking about the VF-1 statue long ago and, like all the other Robotech threads before it, has completely diverged into an archive of the many failures of the Robotech franchise as a whole and the absolute incompetence of Harmony Gold. It all makes for a fun and interesting read.

> And how are there still Robotechers defending this shit?
Some of them are trolls starting shit up, but there are still Robotech fans who legitimately believe that their first anime not only the main cause for the anime boom in the late 80s/early 90s but also why we have anime in the states period, rather than it just being a milestone in a slowly progressing interest in importing Japanese animation. Even though there are a lot of self-aware RT fans, there's still a large portion of the fanbase that still holds onto whatever half-assed concoction the company comes up with because Harmony Gold is their only chance at new content. It doesn't even matter if they don't deliver, it always just seems to be "well, better luck next time for them" and continue to shill out for a bunch of busted toys and useless merchandise from cheapo toy companies. It also doesn't help that most of these die-hards are actually mentally handicapped.
>>
What would happen if Kawamori was invited to a convention in the USA and when some random guy brings up some VF-1 artwork from a Robotech book, asks Kawamori if he drew it and the latter says he, Miyatake, Mikimoto, and Studio Nue were behind the art of the original Macross?

Would HG sue Kawamori?
>>
is it true that Itano Circus is copyrighted and you have to pay to use this kind of animation in Japan?
>>
>>15338450
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>15339699

>anime boom in the late 80s/early 90s but also why we have anime in the states period,

So a show that was sold to cash-strapped network stations based in the middle of nowhere in the 80s for their Saturday morning lineup actually kickstarted the anime craze, and not the cable network channel showing anime in their afternoon lineup at the tail end of the 90s and start of the millenium? LOL
>>
>>15339785
You're also retarded.
>>
>>15339944
I know, it makes no fucking sens at all, especially when you take into account that it was only on television for a couple of years after its original run in 1985 before getting cancelled, made a brief appearance on Sci-Fi Channel in 1993, and justa slight fart in 1998 on Toonami before being pulled in mere months.

After Robotech went off the air, networks went right back to regular Saturday Morning programming with very few anime titles in syndication, let alone on home video. I mean, I can get that Robotech introduced anime to a lot of kids in the 80s, but those children didn't form Manga Inc, or the following anime distribution companies from the early to mid 90s that truly began to start circulation of anime in the US till it finally started to explode on TV, especially with Toonami.
>>
>>15340099
Its probably the only thing Robotech fans can grab onto as a reason for giving a shit about the franchise.
>>
>>15319329
That is Ultraxwing, he was a Macross fan, and was rather okay. until Mechamon happened, and him and CrahmanX was working on it, and if i remember correctly they were getting quite some progress on it. But some retard, that had moot in their name, It was like, MootXXL or some shit.

Anyway, that Moot guy ruined/harrassed Ultra to the point where he left.

Now, he came back with CrashmanX to rework on Mechamon. and it was really good looking, Something happened on Crashman's level, and stopped progress, which i guess Ultra stopped producing as well.

I remember Ultra being sort of cool, but he was easily trolled, and would do some trollish shit himself, like post that picture when someone said something stupid.
>I'm always laughing.

Guy was pretty okay, but he was pretty awful too.

Have a hilarious edit.

Have a hilarious edit.
>>
>>15339742
HG isn't that stupid. If they even dared to pull that shit, there's an airtight case against them.
>>
>>15307037
>Minmay's arms

I mean they all look like shit but Jesus Christ, poor, POOR Minmay,
>>
>>15338450
The funny part is they're making a robotech comic for HG by using a toy that hg has banned. They can't even use their own shitty toys as a reference.

>It's ok for our "artists" to have one but you're not allowed

A little orwellian isn't it
>>
>>15342527
Toys that HG banned, never heard of that one... what a mess, why did they(?) signed the contract back then anyone know?
>>
>>15319329
>>15340262

He looks like a child molester with that moustache.
>>
>>15342567
"banned" means "was marginally harder for normies to get a comic stores"

Diamond Distributors, cancer of comics, was hit with a C&D on importing and distributing Macross toys.

Dumbshits rely on Diamond stores because they're dumb.
>>
>>15342567
You sell jap macross toys inbrick and mortar stores in the usa without hg getting all lawyery. Private imports from online stores only.

This makes the toys grey market items so the japanese won't provide warranty support, which is a pain if your $200-500 toy has a missing part or quality control problem.
>>
>>15342673
How many brick and mortar stores do you even know of in the west that sell high-end Japanese collectibles to begin with?

The only thing it affects are western online retailers, and even they can't prevent things from going out of stock.
>>
>>15342581
wat the fuck, is everyone at HG a fucking scammer?
these guys should be shot for being so scummy
>>
>>15342681
I haven't been to a modern comic store that didn't have anime figures. Plus, these aren't high-end compared to the bowens these places get that are hundreds a piece.
>>
>>15342690
>I haven't been to a modern comic store that didn't have anime figures.

Most modern comic stores just buy old shit from 80s neckbeards. You won't find many stores that line their shelves with DX Chogokins.
>>
>>15342681
You underestimate the effect of no warranty. Would you drop several hundred dollars on a toy knowing that if it shows up broken or missing a part you're screwed?

Not only does it hurt initial sales it hurts again on repeat customers who got shafted.
>>
>>15342694
"Modern" as in the modern model of a comic store, not all comic stores that exist as "modern".
The stores that haven't diversified are struggling to stay afloat. As far as Chogokins, I don't think my example would be fair since I'm in a state along the pacific, and I doubt the fact I've seen them is any indication of the norm.
>>
>>15342722
>"Modern" as in the modern model of a comic store

The modern model is to just sell shit online through a warehouse. Brick and Mortar hobby shops not run by large organizations are all dying to begin with.
>>
>>15342731
Your line of logic doesn't make sense.
It's like you're trying to equate dying with already dead.
Physical stores DO exist still, and will continue to as long as people demand instant gratification.
It's ridiculous that you've forced the conversation to this point, people who think every opinion they have are infallible are the worst, plus obvious.
Enjoy the last word.
>inb4 implications that i didn't already say these stores are 'uncommon but exist' previously in the post you replied to
>>
>>15342763
>I can't buy anything online and want to make sad excuses for why I have to go meet up with other neckbeards selling overpriced merch to justify my hobby

The world has moved on without you.
>>
>>15342774
Haha, bet that insult would've made since if I didn't live in hawaii and have zero trouble finding any of the shit I want. Like I said, my example is not the norm.
>>
>>15339742

They can't. Well they could try, but copyright laws don't work like that. They might own the trademark, and control what get listed in their books but they can't blatantly lie and claim Kawamori didn't design it and sue him for speaking the truth.
>>
>>15343985
Well. Since they started out only having the rights to air the television series footage, I'd say "how it works" went out the window decades ago.
>>
>>15343990
If all else fails, they can always just have someone trace it and plainly say that person did it instead. As posted, they did it with the comic art. In the old and new Palladium RPG books they actually recycle Shoji Kawamori's mech designs and just simply don't credit him at all. >>15307090 will likely be the same way, where his name will just be "lost" in the list of 'talents' in the book. Tommy's VF-1 design is on the corner of the book, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead and imply it was all his shit.
>>
>>15342763
If I met you in a brick and mortar store, which I wouldn't because there's no point in ever going to one, I would fart in your stupid, fat, bloated face.
>>
>>15344228
>admits that he avoids physical stores
>NEET
>internet tough guy
Go outside sometime, anon. Don't be afraid, have your mom watch you from the window.
>>
>>15344278
*ffffrrrrt*
>>
File: 1485711275891.jpg (54KB, 787x719px) Image search: [Google]
1485711275891.jpg
54KB, 787x719px
>>15333726
Macross : make senses since I am StarTrek/ Babylon5/ BSG fan .

Robotech : what the frack am I reading ?!
>>
>>15344093
>>15343985
I hope someone informs Kawamori and other people that contributed to SDF Macross of this at an anime convention.
>>
>>15344910
The problem isn't that the issue isn't known, it's that HG refuses to acknowledge any foreign court's rulings.
>>
>>15345942
>HG refuses to acknowledge any foreign court's rulings.
And why should they? Studio Nue vs Tatsunoko ruling doesn't mention HG in any way so they don't have any legal obligations. BigWest should use this ruiling to file a separate suit against HG, but for some reason they decide no to do it (maybe because it's expensive). But even if they won it would not resolve problem with Macross trademark since copyright and trademark are two completely separate legal concepts.
>>
>>15346013
>And why should they?

HG don't have any say in the matter. the ruling affects them whether they like it or not because tatsunoko can't lease hg something that they do not possess in the same way I can't sell you a license to make lamborghini jackets.

However, the rulings in japan didn't have any effect on anyone they only upheld the status quo, so technically hg are correct when they say the ruling doesn't effect them, they've just weasel worded it to mislead their idiot fans into thinking they can ignore the jap courts.
>>
>>15346013
>>15347995
One day, there's gonna be a day of reckoning against HG by Big West and Studio Nue. The Japanese are wising up to how American companies screw them over.
>>
>>15346013
>But even if they won it would not resolve problem with Macross trademark since copyright and trademark are two completely separate legal concepts.

The trademark issue is a non issue in that the Japanese licensor can simply rename the franchise to something else outside of Japan. Everybody and his dog will know it's Macross but it'll be called something else. And there is nothing Harmony Fucks could ever do against that.
I mean even the famous Un spacey white-red kite (another symbol that Harmony Fuck has a trademark over) has been eliminated in the Macross franchise since Frontier. So there is not even that stupid problem to contend with.
>>
>>15323664
Piss-poor perspective, I think.
>>
>>15348857
>>15348824
>>15347995
>>15346013
Big West probably feels there's more cost than gain if they try to sue HG as of now. HG's cockblockery and lies sorta destroyed any potential of a Macross market in the US outside of dedicated fans. They'll most assuredly win, but it'll take years to recoup the legal costs.
>>
>>15349175
Macross fans either

1 pirate
2 import (observe how the JPN blurays have English subs now to accomodate this)
>>
I've heard that HG tried to claim the Macross trademark on Japan a few years ago. Is that true?
>>
>>15350299
>few years ago
It was like 15 years ago and it was so pointless. Even if they miraculously managed to register trademark it would be easily re-claimed by BW because it's not hard to prove that Macross is well-known in Japan since 1982.
>>
>>15350352
>it was so pointless.

Not entirely. It's undeniable proof that hg are malicious faggots with no concept of human decency.
>>
File: movie.jpg (44KB, 261x385px) Image search: [Google]
movie.jpg
44KB, 261x385px
>>15350391
yet, ppl still support those pizza delivery boys today.
>>
>>15322046
Astro Plan is camp, like real oldschool camp. Too bad they ran out of money.
>>
>>15350486
how does it compare to Kainar?
>>
>>15350506
Kaine is better on all aspects I think, too bad I can't get to watch it even when I'm back in China.
>>
>>15350558
There's no small amount of Kainar on youtube, mostly subbed in English
>>
>>15350564
Huh. Thanks man
>>
>TFW Robotech General getting more regular posts than most other threads
>>
>>15350352
I don't know if this was arrogance or stupidity, but did HG's execs truly believe they could get away with this? How the fuck can this company still exist even if it's primarily tied up in real estate? That's a serious lack of any understanding how the real world works.

>>15352619
You must be new here. Anytime there's a Robotech thread, you're guaranteed an assload of replies.

I remember when Macek died there was a massive sticky, but when Noboru Ishiguro (Yamato, SDF Macross, Orguss, Megazone 23, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tytania) passed away, /m/ didn't give a shit.
>>
>>15352664
Robotech is just a side interest of HG's revenue stream. They staff it with lackeys who are moronic autists. Their real estate is handled by professionals.

>I remember when Macek died there was a massive sticky, but when Noboru Ishiguro (Yamato, SDF Macross, Orguss, Megazone 23, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tytania) passed away, /m/ didn't give a shit.
I doubt anyone here knows or cared outside of LOGH fans.
>>
>>15352664

/m/ is tsundere for Robotech.
Thread posts: 286
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.