/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The problem with western anime fandom is they don't realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_n3xvdjImob1qjkedbo3_500.png (193KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3xvdjImob1qjkedbo3_500.png
193KB, 500x381px
The problem with western anime fandom is they don't realize that Anno is George Lucas of anime because unlike George Lucas, they don't know where is coming from (ww2 style dogfighting, all those adventure shows of his childhood etc). Japanese popculture and retro anime remain unknown to the mainstream crowd in west. This results in his detractors claiming how he rehashed elements from old shows like Ideon.
I think it's about time to give the man his due.
>>
>>15288183
Anno isn't George Lucas, Hiroyuki Kakudo is. Anno is the J.D. Salinger of anime.
>>
George Lucas > Hideaki Anno
>>
>>15288190
LOL no
>>
File: 1488553394511.png (884KB, 1052x795px) Image search: [Google]
1488553394511.png
884KB, 1052x795px
>>15288200
>>
>>15288206
Did Salinger ever rewrite the catcher in the rye ten years later because he was angry that the hooker Holden tried to have sex with was less popular than Holden Caufield?

No?

Then Anno is not comparable to JD Salinger.
>>
>>15288183
Considering how both were almost broken during production of their respective smash hits, followed by a big merchandizing empire, I can see the comparison.

Think about it, even the fandom is quite similar when it comes to genre awareness and how they overthink about every aspect of the show.
>>
>>15288214
He probably did but didn't release it due to social pressure because he was a loser
>>
>>15288217
But that's where the similarities stop. George Lucas went on to be a pioneer within cinema, while Anno hoarded all the money and later remade Evangelion into a low-brow otakufest. Then he did remake after remake.
>>
>>15288190
>J.D. Salinger of anime.
That would be Shirow.

It seems you have only seen evangelion.
>>
>>15288221
You are forgetting
>the prequel trilogy
>>
>>15288226
Those aren't remakes, they're prequels. We all laugh (or cry) at their poor writing and whatnot, but they were undeniably far ahead of their time in terms of cinematic technique, things that are commonplace today.

The prequels have the exact same problem as the various Star Wars edits had, an over-reliance on the new technologies Lucas developed. They were more George's chance to use new technology in creating cinema rather than writing a good story. It paid for itself and pushed technology lightyears ahead.

Rebuild looks worse than anime with 3DCG made in 2001, and is a regression in Japanese animation.
>>
>>15288222
I just was considering Eva because the half-baked comparison was. Really though it's not an apt comparison beyond that and it would probably be more fair to say that Eva is the Catcher in the Rye of anime.
>>
>>15288219
With that reply, your image>>15288206
became relevant. Congratulations, idiot.
>>
>>15288235
>Both cases end up showing state of their respective industries.

Wew lad.
>>
File: 1488553461482.png (295KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1488553461482.png
295KB, 500x375px
>>15288248
He didn't post that image, I did. Good job making a fool of yourself, though.
>>
>>15288254
I mean
>pottery
>>
>>15288254
What are you talking about?
>>
>>15288255
Doesn't matter, fool. Your memeposting and his nonsense make you both idiots.
>>
File: 37384993.jpg (122KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
37384993.jpg
122KB, 900x900px
Rebuild of Evangelion might be a step or two down from NGE, though it's nowhere remotely as bad as the Prequels. As standalone films, they're quite good and better than most of the forgettable trite Hollywood pumps out.
>>
File: MisatoKatsuragi.jpg (64KB, 640x905px) Image search: [Google]
MisatoKatsuragi.jpg
64KB, 640x905px
Rebuild of Evangelion is no less than five hundred steps down from NGE, and it makes the Prequels look great. As standalone films, they're garbage and worse than most of the forgettable moeshit Japan pumps out.
>>
>>15288319
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
Films so divisive it turned a once universally admired and beloved figure into a clown, irreparably split the fanbase, and drove him to sell his franchise to Disney out of shame.

Rebuild of Evangelion
A generally well received update of a classic television series. Also a huge commercial success which lifted Anno to new levels of fame.
>>
>>15288359
Nice bizarro-world.
>>
>>15288367
Rebuilds earned a lof of cash, that's a fact.
>>
>>15288359
>well received

Being popular doesn't mean critical acclaim, Evageek cocksucker.
>>
>>15288359
The Star Wars prequels are better received critically than the Rebuilds, and were a much larger commercial success. The Rebuilds had two movies which were liked, and a third one which was poorly received.
>>
>>15288390
The prequels earned more. A lot more in fact. Rebuilds are only a commercial success because it's a strong brand name.

Kimi no wa makes over 300M USD - that's the measure of success that Evangelion, despite being a strong brand, can't attain because it's busy catering to pathetic niche otaku who drool over Asuka and Kaworu..
>>
>>15288183
In reality, many of Anno inspirations can be traced to western sources. Some of the most blatant examples are the UFO tv series from 1970, Space 1999 tv series, as well as western science fiction novels, like "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, some of Harlan Ellison stories and other. Not as if there were not strong japanese media influences in his works, like Ultraman and others of course. The problem is not the obscurity of his influences, but the fact that many of his fans, don't know about these stuff and or don't care.

I really don't know if knowing about this stuff is really important for the full enjoyment of watching his animes in the end. Is up to each one.
>>
Anno is a worthless hack though. Osamu Tezuka and Oshii both used modern animation tools in their animation projects that far outshines Rebuild, a work done more than a decade later.

I have zero respect for the guy.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.