[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mechamon Update # ????

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 18

File: shauna sune from XY.png (704KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shauna sune from XY.png
704KB, 1280x720px
Hi /m/,

Making a thread to let you all know we're still alive, and the project is still kicking.

Mechamon is a collaborative fangame styled after Pokemon. It has a space opera setting, and a default Nuzlocke difficulty. This means if your "Mechamon" die, they die. Pilot included.

If you've seen it years back, this is a separate project from Crashman's Mechamon.

Currently in the middle of finishing a 2nd playtest. First round of balancing

Recruitment is open again, tile artists are again a top priority. Weekly threads are a thing again, we'll be asking for your input on certain gameplay decisions.

Mechamon & pilot recommendations are absolutely open

This week, we'd like your input on dungeon design

Should it be straightforward/linear, ala Pokemon/FF? Confusing and anxiety inducing ala Shin Megami Tensei? Find the gimmick like Zelda? Give us your input.

Demo, Roster & Design Document
http://pastebin.com/rcg0raSg

Thanks for reading, as always.
>>
File: mechaburger.png (133KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
mechaburger.png
133KB, 500x400px
>>
File: Lailah.png (242KB, 436x485px) Image search: [Google]
Lailah.png
242KB, 436x485px
Put my waifu in the game pls
>>
File: Orders.png (13KB, 511x386px) Image search: [Google]
Orders.png
13KB, 511x386px
Hey everyone, here's a few screenshots from the upcoming playtest!
>>
File: Enemy Fleet.png (32KB, 506x382px) Image search: [Google]
Enemy Fleet.png
32KB, 506x382px
>>
File: Capturecables.png (29KB, 510x381px) Image search: [Google]
Capturecables.png
29KB, 510x381px
>>
File: Dandy!.png (11KB, 508x383px) Image search: [Google]
Dandy!.png
11KB, 508x383px
>>
File: Flagship.png (19KB, 509x384px) Image search: [Google]
Flagship.png
19KB, 509x384px
>>
File: Alert.png (11KB, 503x378px) Image search: [Google]
Alert.png
11KB, 503x378px
>>
Bump
Looks promising, I'll make sure to check the progress you'll make.
>>
If this playtest actually has a decent amount of stuff, I'll do an LP of it, the only reason I didn't of the last beta is it would have been like two or three updates at most if I sandbagged.
>>
>>15280122
I think dungeons should vary depending on theme. For the most part, straightforward dungeons keep things simple, and especially in a Nuzlocke-styled game, keep you from getting suddenly party wiped.
>>
>>15280716
Also, for the sake of people actually Nuzlocking, allow me to impart the single most important thing any hack or game should do (or not do) involving wild encounters, which I have discovered over many, many years.

Never, ever, EVER have an encounter under 3/256. 1/64 should realistically be your lowest, but you can go down to that if absolutely necessary.
>>
>>15280122
Make it more like Devil Survivor 1 and 2 then SRPG like Fire Emblem.
>>
File: alien06.gif (43KB, 327x226px) Image search: [Google]
alien06.gif
43KB, 327x226px
>>15280784
Great idea m8, 1/256 encounter rates in a dangerous dungeon with permadeath sounds like a great way to stop players from catching them all

Our nuzlocke only includes the death clause, so there's no limit to how many of a certain mech you can catch. If you lose one, you can always train another.

There's nothing stopping you from loading 5 Zaku into pic related, and conquering the galaxy.

>>15280716
Keep it simple, and have a gimmick in each dungeon?
>>
>>15280784
>He thinks he can get deep stripper by playing on ez modo!
>Laughing_nina_purpleton
>>
>>15282176
>Great idea m8, 1/256 encounter rates in a dangerous dungeon with permadeath sounds like a great way to stop players from catching them all

It's not just that.

If people like your game, they'll want to document your game. This is, of course, good for you, as it generates interest in your game and gets the word out. But if you do things like having 1/128 or lower encounters in your game, and there are lots of them, that's going to frustrate people's attempts to document it. Furthermore, if people want to use the things you put in the game - they should want to do this, since you took the time and effort to put them there in the first place - and you fail to make them available, that's going to annoy people as well... especially those people who actually do Nuzlocke. (I remember when it first became clear that S&M had grass patch based encounters, some people who did that challenge went fucking nuclear, and that's just "Pokemon found only in lower levels of caves" tier.)

>Our nuzlocke only includes the death clause, so there's no limit to how many of a certain mech you can catch. If you lose one, you can always train another.

Yeah, but you know people are going to attempt the actual challenge.

>Keep it simple, and have a gimmick in each dungeon?

That's a generally good idea. Don't make that gimmick "someone in your party needs to know a functionally useless move (eg Gen 1-3 Flash, Gen 4 Defog, Gen 2-3 Rock Smash) to progress" though. You should not encourage people to cart around a level 8 Zaku just because they want their team of shitwreckers to not be stuck with that stuff.
>>
File: tumblr_mp14owTpMs1qlpk58o1_500.gif (977KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mp14owTpMs1qlpk58o1_500.gif
977KB, 500x281px
Fucking christ, how is Mechamon even still going on? Hasn't people like the Great Mazinger/TrashmanX/Ultraxfaggot/Clawshrimpy ruined this entire concept?

Even better, why even use RPG maker at all, it's extremely limited, you could AT LEAST use Rpg Maker MV, to make it mobile. This whole thing is extremely disapointing.

But, to your credit, you are getting more and more work done ,and aren't an obnoxious piece of shit. yet
>>
File: this is canon now.jpg (104KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
this is canon now.jpg
104KB, 639x479px
>>15282494
With the exception of Surf/Quantum Thrust, all HMs are now items. This is done for setting reasons, the player needs to have some kind of ship, even if it's >>15282176

I did a Nuzlocke in SM and had that exact problem, I'm definitely keeping encounter rate in mind. F

>>15282497
I'm not privy to the reasons the other projects dropped, but I know the last Mechamon was a romhack. That would explain a lot.

We use RPGMXP because of the Pokemon Essentials toolkit, with it, about 60% of the work is already done for us. The goal is to release a fucking game already, and Essentials lets that happen.

If Essentials is ported to MV, the game is set up that we could switch smoothly, but barring that, XP is what we've got.

There are scripts to run XP on mobile. If there's enough interest we'll make it happen. Pokemon works best on mobile, I agree.
>>
File: point to the people who live.jpg (54KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
point to the people who live.jpg
54KB, 639x479px
After a few playtests, we've figured that Nuzlocke difficulty is going to be a major pain in the ass, and the player is definitely going to lose a ton of pilots (hold items) along the way.

Should they have a chance of surviving when their mech is destroyed? If so, what sounds fair? A non-nuzlocke difficulty is already being added.
>>
>>15283355
>Should they have a chance of surviving when their mech is destroyed? If so, what sounds fair?

You could make it so that pilots bail when they die, but don't automatically rejoin you, you have to go somewhere and do something to get them back. So there'd be a penalty for losing them, and for some of them it'd be pretty heavy. And if you're a dunderhead and keep losing them, they either make it more difficult to rejoin or just go "no screw you I'm not doing this again."

And then leave it up to the players to enact the challenge mode of "only can lose them one time".
>>
I'm of the opinion that an SRPG lets mecha really shine, BUT if you really want to make a JRPG, I won't stop you.

What I'll say is that dungeons should have a more straightforward thing, though I'm completely down for SMT-style dungeons, too.
>>
File: fadsf.png (17KB, 510x389px) Image search: [Google]
fadsf.png
17KB, 510x389px
>>15283381
That's a pretty decent idea, but it might be hell to implement. I personally think that the pilots should die at least some of the time so that the game has a more /m/ like feel. Watching your favorite characters die due to a strong opponent or your own poor leadership will add a drama and urgency to the game Despite that, we can look into your idea as well and possibly do a mixture of both.

>>15284205
I agree with you, but the whole concept of mechamon as a pokemon based game forces it into that category. We will do our best to make it feel as mecha as possible, which is something the previous projects failed to to. We believe that the focus on story and plot will allow players to be immersed in a mecha atmosphere.
>>
File: image.png (43KB, 363x290px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
43KB, 363x290px
We have a critical need for artists, specifically tile artists. Please feel free to let us know in the thread if you are interested in helping and we will provide contact info for you
>>
File: Robopon_Sun_Version.jpg (54KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
Robopon_Sun_Version.jpg
54KB, 500x499px
Not sure if you're aware of this but there's already a mecha-themed Pokemon.
>>
>>15280122
Any thought on including Gravion/Sol Gravion?
>>
>>15287692
What? I've never heard of that. I'll take a look at it

>>15287770
Possibly. We can only include mecha that we can obtain Sprite assets for. If we can get it, it's a possibility
>>
>>15290138
Robopon is essentially a not-Pokémon. The sequel differentiates it a little more.
>>
>>15290185
I'll look into it and see if we can borrow any of their ideas but I seems pretty lighthearted. Our game's setting is a space opera, so I'd like to think it will be a bit more serious
>>
File: Space.png (19KB, 513x386px) Image search: [Google]
Space.png
19KB, 513x386px
If you guys haven't already, you should give the original playtest a try, there is a link in the OP
>>
File: maybe not.png (14KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
maybe not.png
14KB, 240x160px
>>15287692
>>
>>15293833
Looks pretty silly but I kinda want to try it
>>
>>15294067
Play the 1st game because you will be lost about the plot in the 2nd, if using a ROM, set the time to anything before 23:00 hours, random encounters do not occur if the timer is off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZY0CynrBQ
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.