[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The PLANTs look really stupid to me, but I know absolutely nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

The PLANTs look really stupid to me, but I know absolutely nothing about engineering. I know the basics of the O'Neil Cylinders and Dyson Spheres, but when I was first introduced to those concepts, in MSG and TNG, I thought that those were similarly ridiculous as pic related, until 4chan educated me otherwise. So I'd like to know, are the PLANTs an actual thought out and viable design for a space habitat?
>>
File: neo-mexico.jpg (24KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
neo-mexico.jpg
24KB, 576x432px
It's less thought out than this
>>
how do they simulate gravity?

does each half spin around the center of the hour glass shape?

they must be smaller colonies than O'Neil Cylinders
>>
File: gsremaster-ep1-01.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gsremaster-ep1-01.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
>>15279346
They rotate around the middle point. Also, that picture lacks the giant mirrors used to direct light inside.
>>
>>15279346

Honestly that's just impractical as fuck. I know they probably didn't want to just rip off the UC tubes but the amount of time and energy involved in building and maintaining them doesn't look like it's worth the pay out at all. You barely got a small town looks like
>>
Wing Gundam colonies are the best.
>>
File: Heliopolis_colony.jpg (210KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Heliopolis_colony.jpg
210KB, 768x576px
>>15279376
But SEED has O'Neil colonies too
>>
>>15279384

Super, but that doesn't make the plants not retarded.
>>
>>15279376

Now I'm curious, what did the colonies in ax look like. I'd assume Island 3 ones too given how much it homages and bases of UC, but G, Wing and Turn-A all used mainly their own style of colonies so maybe not. That's probably why SEED tried to do it's own thing, even though it was heavily UC based too.

I can only vaguely recall one colony I'm AD/00, with the super soldier facility on it, but wwasn'tthat different again? Maybe AGE was the first one to just go with O'Neill Cylinders, if X didn't.
>>
>>15279412

> colonies in ax

X even.

> one colony I'm AD/00

One colony in Ad/00 even. Need to proofread phone posts more.
>>
>>15279376
>Honestly that's just impractical as fuck
Well, the PLANTs were originally just research facilities iirc.
>>
File: wait a sec.gif (4MB, 171x200px) Image search: [Google]
wait a sec.gif
4MB, 171x200px
>>15279346
>Productive Location Ally on Nexus Technology

Geez, the more I learn about SEED, the dumber it gets.
>>
>>15279368
>they must be smaller colonies than O'Neil Cylinders

>>15279376
>You barely got a small town looks like

You see the end caps of one of those up close and personal with Junius 7's remains, in both Seed and Destiny. Judging from that, they're actually pretty fucking huge.

That just makes them bigger wastes of space, though, given all that empty volume they're pumping full of air for no reason. They're pretty to look at, I guess, and all that empty sky might be soothing if you're from Earth and claustrophobic, but they're grossly inefficient.

I don't even see what possible research purpose they could have served outside of atmospheric experiments, and surely you wouldn't need dozens of them for that.
>>
>>15279412
>>15279414

X's colonies were O'Neil Cylinders exactly like the UC ones. You just need to watch the prologue.

X generally included as much UC tech in the general world building as they could outside of mobile suits or specific terms (they mention mega particles and particle interference, but never actually "Minovsky particles"). Several standard military vehicles and even a bomber were taken straight from UC too.
>>
>>15279490
>I don't even see what possible research purpose they could have served outside of atmospheric experiments, and surely you wouldn't need dozens of them for that.

They were also cutting-edge production facilities, which just makes it all the more retarded.

What were they originally shipping to Earth that made PLANT independence so unwanted? Super cheap multi-combi-toasters?
>>
>>15279346
I have always felt that more you think about SEEd, more retarded it becomes.
>>
File: Neo_Holland.jpg (153KB, 600x918px) Image search: [Google]
Neo_Holland.jpg
153KB, 600x918px
>>15279367
Every fucking time
>>
The biggest problem with PLANTs is the lack of radiation protection. The spin axis is perpendicular to the sun's rays, so the sun will frequently shine through the windows onto the surface of the habitats as they rotate. This will expose the population to radiation during a solar flare.
>>
>>15279541
Well, microgravity actually is really good for industrial processes, there are lots of things that you can't effectively make on Earth because gravity messes with the forming microstructure. The seminal treatise on that is "The Third Industrial Revolution" by G. Harry Stine, great book. There are a lot of very useful alloys, chemicals, and electronic parts that are much easier to make in microgravity than here on Earth. Orbital manufacturing could very well be a huge economic bonus for any nation that establishes it, especially if they use material harvested from asteroids so they don't have to ship all the resources up there. That's the big cost.

That said, the PLANTs really don't look like they're set up for industry. You'd want the manufacturing in microgravity, which means they'd be at the centerpoint of the hourglass. But nothing appears to be there. There might be something in that little orb at the center, but if there is it's so small compared to the rest of the PLANT that it can't be worth the investment. It would be like building an entire city to support one factory. Combined with the structural stresses on the PLANT design (if it weren't for the flashback showing it, I'd assume that Junius 7 wasn't actually bombed and just fell apart on its own), and it's a terrible waste of resources. I say let the PLANTs have their independence and build our own better designs.
>>
>>15279376
>Honestly that's just impractical as fuck. I know they probably didn't want to just rip off the UC tubes but the amount of time and energy involved in building and maintaining them doesn't look like it's worth the pay out at all. You barely got a small town looks like

You can't really compare the UC to CE. In the UC 9 billion people live in space colonies, in the CE only the coordinators live in colonies. And they represent like a tiny tiny very tiny portion of humanity. So why the hell would you need to build hundreds of O'Neil cylinders ?
There are 12 plant colonies if I'm not mistaken, enough to harbor a couple of million coordinators.
>>
>>15280241
Coordinators only?
Wasn't there an Orb colony?
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Heliopolis
>>
>>15279346
They look like pretty floating space-cages.

That's all the thought that went into it.
>>
>>15280262

Heliopolis belongs to Orb. The PLANTs do not belong to Orb or any other nation state. They are independent and they harbor most of the coordinators. Some coordinators live on Heliopolis, some live in Orb on earth but most of them are in the PLANTS. And in any case their total number is like a couple of million. Maybe 10 million at the maximum ? So it's a completely different demographic situation from the UC. And the main reason why you do not see hundreds of O'Neil cyclinders in space.
>>
>>15279441

You have to remember that these names are made by people who do not speak English as a native language. It's one of the 'cool' languages in Japan which is why they like throwing in random English words in pop songs. Same with German and Italian.

On top of this, they create the acronyms first then find words to fit the letters in the acronym.
>>
I actually remember someone digging up some statement from a science-minded anon that the science checks out for the hourglass design, under the assumption they aren't for long term habitation but rather as production/research environments, like a sort of space barracks.

Which they are, last I recall.
>>
>>15280308

Doesn't mean they can't stand to be more creative. Some of the G.U.N.D.A.Ms where full retard and don't get me started on D.R.A.G.O.N
>>
>>15280560
They were already creative by the mere fact of gundam meaning something besides thats just what we've been calling them for the past 50 years.
>>
>>15280560
>Doesn't mean they can't stand to be more creative. Some of the G.U.N.D.A.Ms where full retard and don't get me started on D.R.A.G.O.N

They are creative enough (with a foreign language) for their target demographic ie japanese kids/teens. Frankly if you want to shoot first go back 30 years to Macross and wonder at the fucking stupid acronyns they came up with for Gerwalk etc... In other words the Japanese aren't doing anything different than what they were doing decades ago from a time before you were even born.
>>
>>15279884
>The biggest problem with PLANTs is the lack of radiation protection. The spin axis is perpendicular to the sun's rays, so the sun will frequently shine through the windows onto the surface of the habitats as they rotate. This will expose the population to radiation during a solar flare.

The same criticism can be leveled to cylindrical colonies in the UC. It's not the shape of the colony that protects the inhabitants, it's the fucking shelters inside it. And of course an early warning system.
>>
File: oneill-ext1.jpg (104KB, 474x345px) Image search: [Google]
oneill-ext1.jpg
104KB, 474x345px
>>15280720
In the O'Neill cylinder design, one endcap always faces the sun so that the windows are never directly exposed to sunlight, and the entire hull is covered with a 2 meter thick layer of mooncrete.
>>
>>15280560
i still like
GIGANTIC UNILATERAL NUMEROUS DOMINATING AMMUNITION
it's ridiculously over-the-top, but i like it anyway.
of course the fact that the show had so many different systems whose acronyms just *happened* to be G.U.N.D.A.M. was even dumber than what some of them supposedly stood for.
PLANT, on the other hand, doesn't really have any excuse for why it's so stupid. When they sat down and asked "What could we make GUNDAM stand for?" you at least have some non-aneurysm-inducing versions and they just threw in all the other ones they thought of because what-the-hell. But PLANT only had one meaning in the show, so that was apparently the *best* acronym they could come up with for it.
>>
>>15280791
It's always said that the design of Island three consists of TWO counter-rotating cylinders, but I only ever see one. Where's the other?
>>
Man they look so fragile
All it takes is just one missile to shatter that little glass colony
>>
>>15279414
>>15279412
AD/00 only had 3 colonies, one for each of the major powers, and Celestial Being's asteroid bases. The standard colonies were just closed O'Neill cylinders with giant golden solar panels, like in the rest of 00's space installations.
>>
>>15280560

Western audiences were never meant to see Gundam, but you round-eyes kept giving up money so the studios obliged.
>>
>>15280791
>In the O'Neill cylinder design, one endcap always faces the sun so that the windows are never directly exposed to sunlight, and the entire hull is covered with a 2 meter thick layer of mooncrete.

You do understand that solar flares eject (let alone coronal mass ejections) not only photons but also material particles ? Electrons, protons actually highly energetic particles. That kind of stuff. Mooncrete ain't gonna stop those fuckers. Lead is what you need. Lead shelters.
>>
>>15281055
Actually, dirt is pretty good at stopping particulate radiation. Two meters of it is more than enough to shield against solar flares.
>>
>>15279884
Since they're coordinators, I don't know why they couldn't edit their genes to be more resistant to radiation or something.
>>
>>15281055
>>15281155
Mooncrete ain't ordinary dirt anyway.
>>
>>15280241
But the same principle applies. You can house much more people in a standard Island 3 design than the PLANTs. So why not just make one Island 3 and save the expense of building all those other colonies?
>>
>>15281055
Two metres of a concrete analogue is plenty for charged particles that aren't cosmic ray levels of stupidly high energy. Alphas, betas, and protons all have pretty terrible penetration.
>>
>>15280555
Temporary quarters the size of cities? That they kept making even after their population swelled incredibly? I don't buy it. Pretty sure Coordinators are just bad engineers.
>>
>>15280866
Gundam series usually only depict one cylinder, which is a problem since it would be gyroscopically stable and always point at the same direction in the sky, and you wouldn't be able to make it precess with a period of 1 year to point at the sun.
>>
>>15281307
Coordinators were trying to literally kill all Naturals despite the fact that that genetic engineering leaves them all sterile after three or generations. They're fucking retarded.
>>
>>15281323
*three or four
>>
>>15280670
>>15280708

That's not how creativity works. Just because you try to do something awful doesn't mean you're putting a fresh spin on things. Especially when what you wrote is plain idiotic.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.