[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled we can finally agree that tropes,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: ibo cannot easter egg.png (563KB, 955x538px) Image search: [Google]
ibo cannot easter egg.png
563KB, 955x538px
Now that the dust has settled we can finally agree that tropes, archetypes, de/reconstructions, etc. are just propaganda made by TVTropes and lit snobs to lower grades in schools and make men feel ashamed for wanting to be entertained.
>>
>>15275374
Now that the dust has settled we can finally agree that bearguy motherfucker is a forced meme that will never be funny no matter how much you spam it
>>
>>15275391
He's just doing it for sexual gratifications purposes.
>>
>>15275400
Says spaghetti-phile man
>>
>>15275374
>Now that the dust has settled we can finally agree that tropes, archetypes, de/reconstructions, etc. are just propaganda made by TVTropes and lit snobs to lower grades in schools and make men feel ashamed for wanting to be entertained.

Tvtropes was the biggest fucking mistake of the internet. Going to that site is the best way to stop enjoying any kind of tv series and makes it impossible to carry out an intelligent discussion about any tv show.
>>
File: awwwshityes.jpg (104KB, 850x567px) Image search: [Google]
awwwshityes.jpg
104KB, 850x567px
>>15275419

This.

my Johj!

get this man two kegs and two fresh whores!
>>
>>15275419
>Going to that site is the best way to stop enjoying any kind of tv series and makes it impossible to carry out an intelligent discussion about any tv show

Care to explain? I'm legit curious.
>>
>>15275374

Nah, those are all useful when discussing smarter and more literary shows like Brother, Dear Brother and Infinite Ryvius. Besides, trope" is oftentimes just a dumb word word "plot device" anyway.
>>
>>15275419
I disagree with this, as much as I feel bad admiting it it can make for a good way to get interested in shows you otherwise would never even hear about. Looking back I realize part of why I even got into giant robots in the first place was my teen self idly looking through those pages and coming across stuff that sounded cool like Getter or Big O (TV around here rarely if ever aired anime and I didn't frequent forums, boards or anything).
>>
>>15275669
>Care to explain? I'm legit curious.

Most people that go on tvtropes are under the impression (and this is confirmed later when they fucking write a review about a show) that a list (exhaustive or not) of tropes are the end all to critical analysis of any tv show and that it explains why a show is good or bad.
That's like saying that all Colombo's episodes are the same because they share the same thematic elements. We know who the murderer is from the start and we know that the inspector will arrest the murderer by the end of the episode. And yet each single episode is unique. The enjoyment comes from watching Colombo piece together the logic of the murder. And this logic is unique to each specific episode. So even though the series has the same tropes some episodes are better than other for reasons that go beyond the simple tropes.
Tropes are useful when you want to study the relationship between different shows, understand if they share the same thematic elements or not. But that in itself is not sufficient (contrary to what the guys/gals that use tvtropes for) for understanding why one show may be good and another bad.
People instead of concentraring on the plot, on the characters etc... cite only tropes as if that were the explanation for everthing. It isn't. And that is why you cannot have a meaningful discussion about a tv show when the other part just spouts lists of tropes forgetting about everything else that is important. Like the plot, character dynamics, quality of the animation, etc...
>>
>>15275762
Seems pretty valid, but what you explained is mostly fault of the people misunderstanding the intention of the site more than anything else.
>>
>>15275769
>Seems pretty valid, but what you explained is mostly fault of the people misunderstanding the intention of the site more than anything else.

You put a site on the public internet and everyone and his/her dog will have access to it.
If tvtropes were accessed only be people that knew how to use such a tool for analysis it wouldn't be bad at all. But that is not the case. You have people that have never done any kind of critical analysis doing reviews of shows and using tvtropes as the universal explanation. And once that happens well internet memes are persistent.
>>
>>15275716
Hi /lit/
>>
>>15275802
Not to mention being maintained by fans leads to a certain bias in the articles. Fans will make sure the pages say what they, the fans, want it to say. I remember once checking out the MLP page only for a bunch of entries about broken morals, unfortunate implications and the like to be completely wiped, making the conversation about that much more positive about the show. I knew they had been wiped because I had seen them before.

That's the kind of thing that happens on TV tropes.
>>
>>15277779
Not to mention tendency to post outright inaccurate information based on hearsay, because unlike other wikis citations are rarely used. It's thanks to TV Tropes that people all talk about the various Gundam novel adaptations and how dark and gritty they are without having even read the books themselves. Not to mention all the rumors about various big names.
>>
File: best friend.png (210KB, 1146x892px) Image search: [Google]
best friend.png
210KB, 1146x892px
>>15277779
>Fans will make sure the pages say what they, the fans, want it to say

This.
I remember how seed destiny page used to asked tv- troopesr to keep their bias away while editing it's page and at one instance someone created Souten Kouro page just to shit on it.

However as >>15275725 pointed out, I was introduced to many anime and manga that have no mention in the mainstream anime discourse at all.
After all I got to know LoGH and Layzner(my gateway to /m/) on that site.

Pic related.
>>
>>15277807

The Gundam Wiki is at least partially to blame for all of that, since they maintain inaccurate information and users revert articles even if someone updates them to be more accurate.

The Turn-A article for instance still maintains that the Moonlight Butterfly requires three things to use (power, program and nanomachines) even though this isn't something that's actually in the show.

A lot of people use the site for information on stuff they haven't seen in years or even ever, resulting in people being wrong a lot despite best intention because the site's actively stop attempts to update the information because they don't want people messing with "their" articles, despite that being the entire point of a wiki.
>>
>>15275419
>Going to that site is the best way to stop enjoying any kind of tv series
I sometimes prefer the subjective approach it has when trying to get into a new franchise against the formality of wikipedia. Also the real life anecdotes(whether they are behind the scenes stuff or just IRL stuff) is entertaining.

>>15275762
>>15275802
That just means people misuse something that can be useful. It's the same problem the classification of logical fallacies has, but you could use that logic to say the entire internet is a mistake.
>>
>>15277779
I know that feel. For whatever reason, most mentions of Try's MCs having flaws or reactions to them got deleted.
>>
>>15275374
>Now that the dust has settled we can finally agree
I want this meme to die. The dust will never settle, and any given board on 4chan will NEVER unanimously agree on ANYTHING. Anyone who claims otherwise is delusional.
>>
There are always going to be idiots that misuse tools and terminology. The fault lies with them, not the tools or terminology.
>>
Dunno.
Good, bad, in the end TV Tropes is a good lecture.
>>
I'm just glad for the end this particular G iteration, which I never had a chance of liking due to personal thematic preferences.

On to 2018, and probably IDOL SHIT GUNDAM HH
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.