[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some good space opera anime, /m/. Doesn't have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: SO-2.jpg (102KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
SO-2.jpg
102KB, 1024x576px
I need some good space opera anime, /m/. Doesn't have to actually have giant robots in it, but it's fine if it does.

Mostly I just want a war story, politics, complex characters, and tense moments, and explosions IN SPACE.
>>
>>15253337
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, in case you have't already watched it.
>>
>>15253337
if you can deal with ON PLANET rather than IN SPACE then Dougram's cool, but it's pretty much all on the surface of one planet with a few minutes of stuff on Earth
>>
>>15253337
Unless you've already seen it and this thread is to find another one that would satisfy you in the same way, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is basically the one series that you want.
>>
File: Macross - Space War One.jpg (212KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
Macross - Space War One.jpg
212KB, 1200x797px
>>15253337

Honestly surprisingly little exists of what you are asking for.

LotGH kinda does it, but while well written its long and kinda slow.

You won't get much space politics. Your only real option is mostly on the single ship scale, like Outlaw Star or Bodacious Space Pirates, and there is precious little even of that.

For some reason, Japan doesn't seem to like the space opera genre all that much.

Unless... does Macross count?
>>
>>15253341
>>15253390
I know of it but was looking for something a little shorter.
>>15253375
I'll check it out.
>>15253396
I wonder why Japan doesn't really care for space opera.
>>
>>15253337
Honestly most anime doesn't go very far into politics. I guess writers don't want to lose their audiences by boring them to death. For example, only about two or three Gundam series actually try to see the behind-the-scenes politics of the mecha action.
Anime is meant for entertainment first and foremost.
>>
>>15253337

LOGH is the only decent answer you'll get and also the only one you need

>>15253396
>>15253409

They do like it due to their love of science fiction in general, it's just that it's not much in the anime scene
>>
>>15253416

I wonder if they see Space Opera as a western genre. Kind of like how we see mecha as a japanese thing. There is only about as much anime space opera as there is american giant robots: it happens, just very rarely.
>>
Lensman?
>>
>>15253337
>Mostly I just want a war story, politics, complex characters, and tense moments, and explosions IN SPACE.

Gundam. In production order.
>>
I tend to consider the presence of multiple alien races to be a requirement of proper space opera. This makes the list of anime (mecha or not) that fits the bill really really small.

The Leijiverse (Harlock, 999, etc) has several alien races in it.

Yamato also has several alien races, though they're all mostly just humans with different skin colors.

Outlaw Star (and Angel Links) has lots of alien races.

Lensman has lots of alien races, but it's based on non-Japanese stories.

Macross has, over the decades, developed into a sprawling, space-opera-like setting with lots of alien races in it.

Space Dandy had lots of alien races in it, but that show seemed like it was designed to appeal to a Western audience.

Orguss had a bunch of different races on its hodgepodge planet.
>>
>>15253452
>I tend to consider the presence of multiple alien races to be a requirement of proper space opera.
Based on this criterion, Battlestar Galactica doesn't qualify as space opera. That's silly.
>>
>>15253433
That certainly wouldn't stop them, considering that the west introduced them to science fiction and is why they have a huge boner for it. It's hard for us to judge due to the fact that, IIRC, most jap space opera stuff is not in the form of anime, and as such is usually not readily available to those of us that can't read moon.
>>
>>15253506
Any good space opera live action shit with subs? I'm just looking for new stuff in the genre, and I know of damn near everything originally in English.

I'm down for Spanish language space opera as well, with or without subtitles.
>>
>>15253434
I've always thought of Lensman as something that should be read, with the anime as a curiosity to watch while drunk. Am I wrong?
>>
>>15253452
>Macross has, over the decades, developed into a sprawling, space-opera-like setting with lots of alien races in it.

Oh how I wish this was actually true...
>>
>>15253337
Zeta, CCA, or Uchūsen Sagittarius
>>
>>15253452
Space Cobra
>>
File: 41371-galaxy-angel.jpg (189KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
41371-galaxy-angel.jpg
189KB, 800x600px
>>15253337
Here, try these

Starship Operators
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
Soukou no Strain
>>
File: 1479026418785.jpg (266KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479026418785.jpg
266KB, 1920x1080px
Multiple alien races? Interstellar intrigue and crime? High-octane space-opera? I suggest the movie, REDLINE.
>>
File: fang of the sun.jpg (814KB, 1920x2397px) Image search: [Google]
fang of the sun.jpg
814KB, 1920x2397px
>>15253337
DOUGRAM
>POLITICS
>FAMILY MEMBERS FIGHTING AGAINST ONE ANOTHER FOR HIGHER IDEALS
>TENSE BATTLES BETWEEN GUERILLAS AND FEDDIES
>EXPLOSIONS
>>
>>15253337
Horizon kind of fits all your needs except for the IN SPACE part.

Also, it has snarky automaton maids that are also giant airships.
>>
>>15253337

Babylon 5.

Oh right, anime. As said, LoGH.
>>
Highly recommended:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Banner of the Stars
Crest of the Stars
Towards the Terra
Harlock
galaxy express 999
Queen Emeraldas

Various ranges of enjoyability, but I like them
Heroic Age
Outlaw Star
Vandread
Starship Girl Yamato Yoko
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Tenchi GXP (many hate it due to the humor, and annoying nebishin robot, but it's space faring adventures in the Tenchi universe, instead of carrot farming with aliens, so I find it rather comfy)
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Space Dandy
Cowboy Beebop
Zone of the enders Delores
>>
Is MAZE decent?
>>
>>15257888

This song is literally the only thing that prevents it from being forgotten entirely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgEj4AntESU
>>
>>15253467
Technically they're all aliens.
>>
File: Looking Good.png (447KB, 630x477px) Image search: [Google]
Looking Good.png
447KB, 630x477px
>>15254542
You left out
>Space Che Guevara
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.