[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I finally got around to watching Gunbuster after putting it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: images (16).jpg (12KB, 188x269px) Image search: [Google]
images (16).jpg
12KB, 188x269px
So I finally got around to watching Gunbuster after putting it off for so many years. It's a very fun experience that I enjoyed, but why is it regarded so highly? Outside of the Gunbuster itself and being a great spectacle, it's really hokey in a rather laughable way. Drama and characterization is all over the place and it feels like Anno/the staff had either a vision that was too ambitious for such a small run OVA or they had no real vision and kinda were just shooting from the hip. Disjointed is probably the word I would best use to describe Gunbuster.

Tell me /m/ what are your thoughts on Gunbuster and if it deserves its reputation, and what should I expect from Diebuster?
>>
File: gainax-jiggle.gif (869KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
gainax-jiggle.gif
869KB, 240x240px
Boob. Jiggle.
>>
>>15201024
I liked Gunbuster more than Giant Robo. GR get really boring in a lot of parts.
>>
You're probably missing out on some of the context, which is leading you to feel the way you do about the pacing and characterization.

Not that you need that context to enjoy it; it's still just a matter of opinion. I enjoyed it before I knew.
>>
It's a really good series with sympathetic characters, exciting plot, amazing mecha, explosive action and no major problem to speak of. The scale of the universe also helps to emphasize the stakes of each battle and impact felt by the Noriko and Kazumi.

Diebuster is an entirely different experience. It seemed more wishy washy because there isn't the contrast between the militaristic feeling and the fantastic scale of the universe since it start out from a very fantastic place to begin with. If anything, the reason the ending is so loved by fans is because that actually shrank the scale of the Diebuster back down, by reminding the audience that ultimately, it's by the effort of two ordinary, determined pilots that Earth survived long enough for Diebuster to take place at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQCiMtyzxM
>>
>>15201024
If ever I felt something showed Anno and Gainax as a whole are a bunch of otaku it's this. This is clearly made by otaku for otaku.

>>15201025
Jung was cuter.

>>15201064
>You're probably missing out on some of the context
Such as?

>>15201094
>sympathetic characters, exciting plot, amazing mecha, explosive action and no major problem to speak of
I would say characterizations are all over the place. Characters go from the best of friends to at each others throats to friends again in seconds. Then you have romance subplots becoming a big deal when the only hint was one karaoke scene at the start of an episode that had no visuals. Everything felt all over the place in the characters, they are likable but cliche to such extremes it makes the attempts at interpersonal drama extremely ham handed.

Noriko's development is really odd because for 3 episodes straight, half of the runtime, she learns a lesson to have not progressed at all by the next episode. She is a cry baby for far too long, really the show was mediocre at best until the Gunbuster shows up and the action offset the negatives that were starting to pile up. Normally I feel a mecha shares the spotlight with its pilot but the mecha is much better than the pilot here.
>>
>>15200959
People forget that Gunbuster is basicly "Ace wo Nerai!" with a twist, and ace wo nerae had 2 TV series, several OVAs and well, it went for 7 years in manga format... so yeah, loads of content from the original source to be cluttered in 6

I worked in japan because half the time is making reference to a tenis series.

now, as "why is it so highly regarded on this place"?, well... its because on its short span does the job pretty well. Really good visuals that even today stand quite strong, an amazing soundtrack, characters that play their part to the fullest (sans Reiko Kashiwara, bitch was a piece of furniture) and two of the best directed sequences of its decade.

I won't deny that Noriko ranges from crybaby to ballbuster. Nor that Kasumi certainly did not seemed interested on the coach until it was thrown up our faces. But gunbuster is not a long trip, is a very short trip actually, that much like a rollercoaster starts somewhat slow, only to rush through the end.

It works because it calls upon the right emotions on the right moment. And still does so.
>>
>>15201094
I really think Diebuster should be looked at as a separate series rather than as a sequel to Gunbuster. Yes, it does take place in the future of the Gunbuster Universe and is titled as Top wo Nerae! 2 in Japan, but the series is clearly doing something different from Gunbuster. And IMO that's what makes Diebuster a good series. It wasn't some crappy retelling of the same story placed in a new setting with no reason to exist (ex. The Force Awakens), it was its own series with its own merit. It was something different and unique, and that's not something I see out of a lot of sequels.
>>
>>15201967
There is still a lot of homage to Gunbuster to go with the original stuff. They are different shows, but it is definitely part of the same series
>>
>>15200959
Gainax hype. That's all you need to know. In reality, Gunbuster is good to mediocre depending on the episode. It has some great mechanical designs and aesthetics, but the characterization, pacing and storyline is very weak. It's not much of an action series either, so it can't even save itself with that.
>>
>>15201995
Lots of references and homages does not make it the same show. And yes, I know it takes place in the future of Gunbuster, I'm just saying it should be looked at for its own merits rather than for Gunbuster's merits. I think the reason people dislike Diebuster so much is because it's not Gunbuster, which sucks because I really loved Diebuster.
>>
>>15202195
I don't know what it is exactly, but the characters and world of Diebuster was just really repellant to me. I'd be up for a rematch though, it did have character even if it didn't appeal to me
>>
>>15202026
It's last two episode are great not just good.
>>
>>15202326
Rematch should be rewatch
>>
>>15202330
>It's last two episode are great not just good
Really just episode 5 is great, and even that is mired by the romance plot that came almost entirely out of nowhere. Gunbuster has laughable attempts at drama like when Noriko had a soap opera shock reaction to finding out coach had space cancer I had to pause the episode because I was laughing too hard.

Episode 6 had a lot of interesting ideas, but much like many interesting ideas in Gunbuster the execution is rather goofy. Parts of the episode like Jung almost killing herself for no reason was mind boggling in how stupidly it was handled
>>
>>15200959
Gunbuster is overhyped and Diebuster is better.
>>
Gunbuster is fucking shit and boring as hell. Literally the only good thing about it is the ending and the design of the gunbuster. Diebuster way better.
>>
>>15205549
It's literally a parody anime.
>>
File: 1405821987727.jpg (54KB, 955x719px) Image search: [Google]
1405821987727.jpg
54KB, 955x719px
>>15210287
First time on /m/, but holy shit man, that's some poor taste. I watched Gunbuster today, and it was pretty good. Not great, it had its flaws, but it was still a solid OVA.
Going into Diebuster with its moeshit main character and offbrand FLCL aesthetic, I'm wondering if I should bother finishing it. We go from serious space drama to pastel colours, space princesses panty shots, panty shots, panty shots.

I mean, I like fanservice as much as the next guy, but the show could not be more tonally different than its predecessor.
>>
>>15212884
I could never finish Diebuster. I'm also an astronaught senator. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>15212884
this has to be bait.
>>
File: 1460099675423.jpg (37KB, 628x470px) Image search: [Google]
1460099675423.jpg
37KB, 628x470px
>>15201949
You sure showed him.

>>15212884
Gunbuster had plenty of fanservice.
>>
>>15212931
Why does it have to be bait. Enlighten me, I'm your guest after all.

>>15212941
Oh, I'm well aware. I just think extended close-up shots of the character's ass and having them ride a metal dildo for a pilot's seat is a bit much compared to some occasional tits.
>>
File: 1416518818154.png (14KB, 399x391px) Image search: [Google]
1416518818154.png
14KB, 399x391px
>>15212887
>I'm also an astronaught senator
Is this the legendary /m/ humor I've heard so much about?
>>
>>15212941
Ah there we go.
>>
>>15212884
Diebuster is one of those shows where the finally pays off but the build up is a bit lack luster. In my opinion at least.
>>
>>15213409
Finale*
Its late, sorry.
>>
>>15210991
That takes itself seriously.

>>15212884
>We go from serious space drama
Gunbuster is goofy as fuck
>>
>>15213409
Just like Gunbuster then. It's a true sequel.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.