[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I finished watching the first 35 episodes (The Macross Saga)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 22

File: robotech.jpg (19KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
robotech.jpg
19KB, 256x192px
I finished watching the first 35 episodes (The Macross Saga) of Robotech. Do I keep watching The Masters? Should I watch some of the movies instead? Did I fuck this up by not watching SDFM? Help me out
>>
File: 1486076695713.jpg (27KB, 426x546px) Image search: [Google]
1486076695713.jpg
27KB, 426x546px
>>15191418
>Did I fuck this up by not watching SDFM?
Yep.
>>
>>15191418
No
No
Yes
Watch the original shows, its 2017 for gods sake.
>>
>>15191418
You should've watched SDFM, since he only movie worth anything (and actually outstanding) is DYRL. The Robotech movies are embarrassingly bad.
>>
>>15191418
If you only have access to Robotech, then skip The Masters Saga and just watch The New Generation. Then stop, Shadow Chroniles and Sentinels aren't worth it.

If you can get Mospeada, watch that instead.
>>
Robotech literally put localization back three decades. Can we please stop pretending it exists? This is some Tsukihime anime shit.
>>
AND
>>
>>15192241
NOW THE END IS NEAR
>>
>>15192241
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOOOOOOOU
>>
>>15191418
AND WE
>>
>>15191423
Why the fuck should he waste time watching the same footage? It's like autists insisting you need to watch DB Kai in sub rather than dub.
>>
>>15192177
>Robotech literally put localization into the mainstream
FTFY

Everytime there's even a mention of Robotech on /m/, you faggots have to spew your asspain. Robotech popularized anime to the masses and inspired others to bring in more of these Oriental cartoons that we called Japanimation back then.
>>
>>15191418
No
No
Yes
Just watch Macross Plus, DYRL, and Mospeada then stay far away from everything else Macross or Robotech related
>>
>>15192352
Is Mospeada actually good besides having a catchy op?
>>
>>15192355
Southern Cross also has a catchy OP, and nobody's standing up to defend that.
>>
>>15192312
>Robotech introduced anime to the West

Hahaha, No.

Astro-Boy, Speed Racer, Starblazers, Battle of the Planets/G-Force, and Voltron all had more coverage than Robotech did.
>>
>>15192797
it's like WWE marks who think their favorite did anything positive for the business
>>
>>15192797
Also Nickelodeon had an anime block in its early days that played a pretty good slice of variety. It had Belle and Sebastion, The Little Prince, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea.
>>
>>15192355
It was mediocre
>>15192534
SC on the other hand was horrible
>>
>>15192797
Please don't bully the Robotech fan, it's the only thing he can cling to.
>>
>>15191418
Master's is sort of lame. If you care about Robotech story it is important, but mostly no. The New Gen, Mospeada, is great and I have watch in the original form and was fantastic! I sort of wish they made more Mospeada.
>>
>>15192305
>Why the fuck should he waste time watching the same footage? It's like autists insisting you need to watch DB Kai in sub rather than dub.
Robotech is not fucking Macross, its an entirely different story with different characters that only share the same animation footage becuase of LA jewery and retarded American broadcast laws.
Watch SDF, ditch Robotech, anyone with a brain will tell you the same.
>>
File: ieyuaVw.jpg (18KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
ieyuaVw.jpg
18KB, 255x255px
>>
>>15192305
Because you deserve it for making a ridiculously stupid mistake. You ALWAYS watch the original unaltered material before the localization.
>>
Watch all the Robotech movies after the series and then wait patiently for Harmony Gold and its team of realt-er I mean producers to make something new. Like me. I've been waiting for 10 years and I'm still hopeful!!!
>>
>>15194842
Are you desperate enough for new content that you are trying to make QUALITY into new mecha?
>>
>>15192797
HBO had an anime block in the 80s as well. Shit was cash after school.
>>
>>15194814
You sound like those sentai retards who insist that everyone should watch 50+ episodes of the series that corresponds to PR. Not everyone on /m/ is a NEETer that can afford to waste that kind of time.
>>
>>15199701
Robotech is 85 episodes long. Clearly the people who watch it have plenty of time to see Macross which is only 36. Calm down spurge yeti.
>>
So while we're on the subject; Harmony Gold has been harping on this "Robotech: Rick Hunter" cockpit/sound system they are commissioning from a Chinese manufacturer that's due to release sometime soon. Unofrtunately for them, they apparently didn't realize that their toy partners had absolutely no interest in Robotech and printed "H. Ichijo" on the side of the cockpit. There's even a video on the Chinese company's Facebook where they open their revealing of the prototype by playing the original SDF Macross opening on their phone!

Harmony Gold now embarrassingly mentions that the painted Japanese name will now be shipped with a "Rick Hunter" sticker.

Must be pretty awesome to know your brand has SO MUCH RECOGNITION.
>>
>>15192312
Harmony Gold shill plz leave.
>>
>>15199875
Robotech fans can finally have real macross merch.
>>
>>15199916
I'm going to be fair here. This thing actually looks pretty badass. No doubt Harmony Gold finally got their hands on a responsible toy company that can actually make some above-decent molds.

Hell, I may even consider shilling out the $1000 or so it takes to pay the thing, even if my funds will be going to HG.
>>
>>15199990
This comes assembled and painted?
>>
>>15200010
It's a sound system, so yeah. Not only does the cockpit light up, it even has a working viewscreen (holographic maybe). As far as to what the audio specifics are, nobody knows yet.
>>
>>15200030
holy shit that hologram is so real
>>
>>15200033
I probably got my terminology screwed up, but I see the term "holographic" used a lot to describe video/comic covers and such that have fading, changing images based on movement. I don't what the exact term for this sort of thing.
>>
>>15191418
Masters Saga is the superior Robotech series. It makes more sense and has cuter girls than Macross or Mospaeda.
>>
>>15200070
http://www.printindustry.com/blog/?p=4140
>in short, both holograms and lenticular prints can show movement and depth. Holograms need special lighting to be perceived in all their glorious detail and color. However, they’re great for security documents to prevent forgery or tampering. In contrast, lenticular prints are durable and need no special lighting to reflect their movement or depth.

It could be a hologram, if it needs power to be seen.

>>15200000
>>
File: 200% slam.jpg (38KB, 487x720px) Image search: [Google]
200% slam.jpg
38KB, 487x720px
>>15199875
>There's even a video on the Chinese company's Facebook where they open their revealing of the prototype by playing the original SDF Macross opening on their phone!
Sauce
>>
>>15199875
Shit like this is why I hope HG folds over one day when their real estate fucks up and they lose the license to SDF Macross. Tatsunoko can fuck themselves too.
>>
File: Robokek.png (605KB, 897x840px) Image search: [Google]
Robokek.png
605KB, 897x840px
>>15200333
I didn't post it because the last time I gave a Facebook link on 4chan I got IP banned for a day. Guess they changed their policy or whatever.

Also here's the previous pic with some added burn.
>>
>>15202685
Goddamnit, forgot the link. Also be sure to input the URL and shit, because apparently 4chan is still skiddish about Facebook links:
https://www.facebook com/toysdailyhk/videos/1298375816849758/
>>
File: Problem Miclones.jpg (54KB, 310x354px) Image search: [Google]
Problem Miclones.jpg
54KB, 310x354px
>>15202685
ALL LAUGHING!
>>
>>15202042
That'll never happen because those assholes have plenty of cash and corruption to keep themselves cemented. I agree that Tatsunoko deserves as much hate that HG gets, but a lot of people look the other way when it comes to them.

>>15199875
Wait a minute, doesn't HG (specifically Kevin McKeever) insist that Robotech has a massive hard-on in China?

>>15194814
A lot of localization fans insist that the version they grew up watching is the only one worth seeing.
>>
>>15204093
>doesn't HG (specifically Kevin McKeever) insist that Robotech has a massive hard-on in China?

Yes and perhaps some of that is true since unlike the rest of Asia, Robotech actually made some rounds in 1992 while Macross was still expanding its own universe (before M7 and Plus) and had time to gain some traction. However, most of the people that support Robotech just seem to look at it as just one in the same with Macross, especially since China doesn't really have a block on Macross content (shit, look at Astro Plan). Plus, HG is pretty much only pushing the Macross Saga over there and not much else with Southern Cross or Mospeada since that shit doesn't really sell much anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQ2hHIUQbM

The people HG is partnering up with, Kidz Conept, on the other hand are actually a prety legit group of people who are pretty heavy in nerd culture and collectibles and really take some pride in the things and events they do. I mean, fuck, if you look at the link I provided in >>15202706 you'll see that they're not even marketing the cockpit as a 'Robotech' item and are just calling it Macross. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just using this as an opportunity just to take advantage of some desperate white people just to get the chance to make a Macross product.
>>
>>15192177
>Robotech literally put localization back three decades
Except for the clusterfuck that is Robotech Masters, hardly anything was changed. The Macross and Mospeada parts were basically straightforward dubs besides name and music changes. The only actual change that affects the story is that in Robotech "Protoculture" is a fuel source instead of ancient aliens. Admittedly that's an important change, but there are dubs which are much more butchered and didn't even involve combining series together.
>>
>>15192968
>Robotech is not fucking Macross, its an entirely different story with different characters that only share the same animation footage becuase of LA jewery and retarded American broadcast laws.
As far as Macross, it is a 90% exact same story with the exact same characters but with different names. All the same things happen except for titty scenes that were cut. Same for Mospeada. Robotech Masters/Southern Cross on the other hand fits your description perfectly. It is actually a totally different story with the same footage. Even the setting is different. But nobody gives a shit about Southern Cross.
>>
>>15199990
>I'm going to be fair here. This thing actually looks pretty badass. No doubt Harmony Gold finally got their hands on a responsible toy company that can actually make some above-decent molds.Hell, I may even consider shilling out the $1000 or so it takes to pay the thing, even if my funds will be going to HG.

Then you're part of the problem. Total boycott of anything connected to HG is the only acceptable thing to do. Macross for them must be a property that loses $.
>>
>>15206928
>Then you're part of the problem. Total boycott of anything connected to HG is the only acceptable thing to do. Macross for them must be a property that loses $.
Even if it did make them lose money, they'll never give it up willingly. It's literally all they have.
>>
File: astro_fortress.jpg (61KB, 377x619px) Image search: [Google]
astro_fortress.jpg
61KB, 377x619px
>>15204093
>doesn't HG (specifically Kevin McKeever) insist that Robotech has a massive hard-on in China?
Robotech has been released in China. No idea how popular/unpopular it is, though.
>>
Getting back to Robotech, let's talk about alien slug sex, how it relates to your penis, and adds to the Robotech universe.
>>
File: Sex Change.png (53KB, 268x284px) Image search: [Google]
Sex Change.png
53KB, 268x284px
>>15208050
I'll just get a sex change.
>>
File: Robosechs.png (972KB, 671x488px) Image search: [Google]
Robosechs.png
972KB, 671x488px
>>15208197
That's fine. Invid are protoplasmic creatures that can alter their form however they wish. They can adjust.
>>
>>15206928
I KNOW. The key word was consider. Besides, given the price tag I wonder if even dedicated Robotech fans would even buy this thing anyway, even at 500 or so units worldwide. I can likely get one third party from someone just trying to get rid of it.
>>
>>15208050
>>
File: Bern.jpg (322KB, 1200x1817px) Image search: [Google]
Bern.jpg
322KB, 1200x1817px
>>15208444
You're not even trying.
>>
>>15208307
>Besides, given the price tag I wonder if even dedicated Robotech fans would even buy this thing anyway, even at 500 or so units worldwide.
Never underestimate Robotech fandom. They'll hang on every word that HG staffers shill, buy every repackaged DVD boxset, and fund whatever Kickstarter. These idiots are so devoted to Robotech that they'll probably collapse if they quit now because they spent so many years on a dead-end Frankenstein.
>>
>>15208462
Exactly this. And the ones that go by Maximillian Jenius as their nickname are the worst.
>>
File: Lyne Quintin Kyle Hoover.png (168KB, 888x658px) Image search: [Google]
Lyne Quintin Kyle Hoover.png
168KB, 888x658px
>>15208465
Dude, for some of these people, they're more than just nicknames.
>>
>>15206916
They don't even edit out death or some mature content. A majority of the edits are just short clips for time edits since the later DVDs cut a lot of things back in.

The issues with Robotech are more Harmony Gold being absolute shit and the legal issues that screw over Macross than Robotech's dub itself. It has issues but for an 80s anime dub it's far better dub for it's time than Voltron or Battle of the Planets even with the edits. I'll take Robotech of 7Zark7 anyday.
>>
>>15208444
>>15208456
That's some pretty shitty fanart. Where is it from ?
>>
File: Problem Micronians Full.jpg (255KB, 1000x1549px) Image search: [Google]
Problem Micronians Full.jpg
255KB, 1000x1549px
>>15208684
That isn't fanart. It is official art from the comics. They had no quality control in the 90s.
>>
>>15208617
>The issues with Robotech are more Harmony Gold being absolute shit and the legal issues that screw over Macross than Robotech's dub itself. It has issues but for an 80s anime dub it's far better dub for it's time than Voltron or Battle of the Planets even with the edits. I'll take Robotech of 7Zark7 anyday.
Agreed.
>>
>>15208483
>The other anime series Macross was based off?
What?
>>
>>15208783
Battletech/Mechwarrior comes to mind, they've been in several legal disputes with Harmony Gold regarding Macross designs
>>
>>15208456

Context?
>>
>>15208704
this image is great enough to justify Robotech
>>
File: RobotechAftermath.png (241KB, 648x991px) Image search: [Google]
RobotechAftermath.png
241KB, 648x991px
>>15208919
Long story short, the comic takes place long after New Generation where the world tries to rebuilt after the Invid invasion (some 10 years, I think), Scott Bernard comes back to Earth and apparently Nova Satori is using him as some kind of political puppet to gain control of some settlement; essentially keeping him under her leash because she claims to be holding Marlene hostage. Turns out, she was bluffing and nobody really knows where Marlene is. So during a Zentradi uprising he goes into full rage mode and shoots Satori in the eye. The whole story is pretty fucking crazy.

Here's Scott trying to threaten a jerry-rigged VF-1 unit while he's at it.
>>
>>15192355
Actually, Mospeada is nothing amazing but it's still good. The animation is really well done during the fights, even if there are some bits of stock footage here and there, the mecha designs are cool and the story isn't incredible but it works. The characters are in the same vein, i.e. nothing extremely original but they're decent. Except Mint, fuck this annoying little brat. They even have a dash of character development throughout the series. Also, one of Mospeada's good points is that it's short so it doesn't overstays its welcome and the whole thing is packed in 25 episodes.
Also, I don't like Robotech, but I still watched the Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles because I'm THAT desperate for some more Legioss action, shit I even consider reading the comics.
>>
>>15206928
I've heard arguments from defensive Robotechers who claim that hating on them for buying RT products doesn't mean they agree with what HG does. They also bitch that people look at them like a pariah if they openly admit to liking Robotech.

Loving Robotech before the new millennium is forgivable. STILL being a Robotech fan post-2000 and lining the pockets of HG makes you an acceptable target of scorn and ridicule. You're bankrolling those bastards who are laughing themselves to the bank by luring you with false promises.
>>
>>15199875
That is absolutely fucking beautiful.
>>
>>15199875
I know it's mainly a money thing, but some part of me thinks that they still geuninely believe their shitty goddamn dub has any legitimate value as its own entity. In terms of actual value as its own piece, shit like this is basically the case in point for why it has minimal if any. It's other people's designs, other people's art and other people's work that people remember about the thing they so desperately claim as their own. And it only gets more absurd when it gets to the point of literally affixing labels over the real names of things.
>>
Why do people watch Robotech nowadays? Was that OP's first anime?
>>
>>15212792
No, they know what they're doing. They really just don't care, most notably because Macross (with Mospeada being a moderate second) is the only thing that's making their 'brand' money. That's all what their fanbase ever talks about, draws, and buys toys of. Hell, their last line of toys were misleadingly labeled as Macross merchandise to fool people into thinking they were imports, with the original logo and everything, just with Harmony Gold and Toynami logos slapped on them...and the fact that they're just as cheaply made and broken as the rest of their action figures.
https://www.amazon.com/Robotech-Macross-Transformable-Standard-Veritech/dp/B001ONS60I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487260436&sr=8-4&keywords=toynami+robotech
https://www.amazon.com/Robotech-Macross-Toynami-Transformable-Veritech/dp/B000VXCXN8/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1487260574&sr=8-20&keywords=toynami+robotech
For fucks sake, they even marketed toys based on Do You Remember Love!
https://www.amazon.com/Toynami-Macross-Hikaru-Ichijo-Action/dp/B001AZF522/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487260788&sr=8-4&keywords=Hikaru+Ichijo (And no, they never mentioned this figure as 'Hikaru' on their Facebook, their website, or con panels, they just called it "Rick Hunter" since the fans were watching.)
http://robotechstore.myshopify.com/collections/toys/products/limited-edition-comic-con-macross-movie-zentradi-battlepod

Go and look on their online store, anything under any category and tell me what you see more of? You sure as hell will hardly find anything of Masters Saga in there, with very little in the way of New Generation as well.
http://robotechstore.myshopify.com/collections/all
>>
>>15212792
You can draw the animation and make good designs, but HG were the ones that popularized it for the greater world outside of Japan. People on /m/ shit on the middleman all the time, but these fuckwits don't realize that without intermediaries, nobody would've watched Japanese shows before the advent of Toonami/Adult Swim.

For all its faults, HG laid the stepping stones for DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Samurai Pizza Cats, and other popular anime titles that the US enjoyed in the 90's. But nobody's willing to admit to this because it sullies their image of super secret special nipponic shows.
>>
File: a laughing heero.jpg (38KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
a laughing heero.jpg
38KB, 500x364px
>>15214298
Do you feel special, being the only one who defends a scumbag company like HG?
>>
>>15208783
I mean, Macross was kind of meant to be a pardoy of Gundam at some point.
Maybe he read that on the Allknowingpedia and wrote it down as a way of avoiding mentioning Gundam?
>>
>>15214317
I don't agree with everything they've done, but I really hate these hipster weaboos who love to shit on anything before their time.

Robotech was a big part of the burgeoning anime fandom in the US during the 80's and 90's. We had plenty of people cosplaying as Rick, Lisa, Max, Miriya, and Minmay in anime cons without sperglords bitching about MUH MACROSS.

I'm trying to give credit where it's due. HG played a significant part in commercializing Japanese-style animation yet all they get is rabid trolls spewing vitriol.
>>
>>15214331
>I'm trying to give credit where it's due. HG played a significant part in commercializing Japanese-style animation yet all they get is rabid trolls spewing vitriol.

People getting worked to death in the first factories is why we have unions and work laws today and you can bet your fat American ass I'll never give credit to the monsters who did so back then.

Also, who the fuck cares about anime in America? It's still niche at best and your fancy HG overlords only made sure people like me who actually give a fuck can't get any Macross in Europe because they bully the crap out of the retarded US laws and disallow anything Macross related outside Japan.

Jdi se vycpat, Amíku.
>>
>>15214343
Well sorry your Czech ass can't summon enough gray matter to find a way to import Macross products. Last time I checked the US is the dominant cultural exporter and powerhouse compared to your shitbox country.

Do háje.
>>
>there are people so pleb that they can't figure out how to get import toys
wow can you even get past the panda
>>
>>15214351
>>15214359
Official stuff readily available for sale at home and importing shit fromJapan are two very different things.
Ditto for the shows not being allowed to air or get releases here because some hamburger slob back in the 80s stole the license away and can't get over his retarded nostalgia.

Your Google translation is broken, by the way.
>>
>>15214476
>Official stuff readily available for sale at home
Exactly how much licensed material for other franchises does the Czech republic get to compare to the apparent lack of Macross?

also guy speaking your beertalk isn't me, I'm just panda bitchy smartass
>>
>>15191418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHqMO3vv-Y
>>
>>15214331
Oh my god, you're exactly the kind of fucking idiots that fall for HG's lies on a regular basis.

>sperglords bitching about MUH MACROSS
Holy shit, you can't be for real. Especially since all HG ever does is whore out Macross.
>>
>>15214331
Even if every word of that is true, which it isn't, how would that justify a company today effectively whoring out another's creation while pretending it to be its own for the bizarre fanbase they generated?
>>
>>15216012
It would take someone to be extra retarded to justify robotech. Which would explain most of the roboshit shills.
>>
>>15214329
Quintin is not that educated on the subject. He has a knack for making shit up on the fly without any real evidence, like any other Robotech fan. At one point in time he was spreading around a bunch of lies that the reason Manga Inc. managed to release Macross 2 and Macross Plus was because they struck a deal with Harmony Gold and asked for permission to distribute it. This was his attempt at throwing in more bullshit reasons that HG is in full support of Macross distribution and is not in any way obstructing it. He was also flapping his gums about how Robotech fans have been "supporting Macross for years" and deserve respect from the Macross community,...even though he makes it apparent that he doesn't like the sequels that he's seen (2 and Zero), refuses to watch the rest, and used his Ottselspy youtube account hopping Macross clips going on how stupid he thought everything was.

He probably thinks Southern Cross and Mospeada are what inspired Macross for whatever reason he came to the conclusion of.
>>
>>15214651
>Mark Landry
Fucking seriously?
>>
>>15216235
To be fair, everything Macross related released after the first show is fucking stupid, not that the first show is too good either.
>>
>>15214343
There is something seriously fucked up with US law that it allows HG to get away with this shit. If there were any justice in this world, both Tatsunoko and HG should have the rights to Macross stripped away permanently.

>>15211365
I'm gonna have to agree. It's being cuntish to RT fans, but if they're stupid enough to support HG to this day like this turd >>15214298, they should get all the hate.
>>
>>15191418
Watch macross instead
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.