[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about pilots that pilot with their thoughts as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1483987881536.png (157KB, 600x520px) Image search: [Google]
1483987881536.png
157KB, 600x520px
How do you feel about pilots that pilot with their thoughts as oppose to a joystick and keyboard?
>>
>>15175286
Their cockpits always look incredibly lame.
They're also special snowflakes most of the time.
>>
>>15175286
Technically superior, but it does make cockpit scenes less interesting to watch.
>>
>>15175286

literally more realistic than controlling a robot with 2 levers
>>
>>15175286
Literally no-one cares
>>
File: 4237ddaf0aaa625edb63f2e1340afec3.jpg (723KB, 1863x1600px) Image search: [Google]
4237ddaf0aaa625edb63f2e1340afec3.jpg
723KB, 1863x1600px
>>15175304
If a pilot is using manual controls, you have to assume a lot of it is automated. It's pretty ridiculous to think that the pilot would be controlling the robot's every single movement, down to each joint of each finger individually in every direction and angle, with manual controls.
If there is no automation and the pilot really is meant to have complete movement control, then I guess some sort of psychic connection is fine and makes sense, but a physical movement tracing system also works and is more interesting to watch.
>>
>>15175286
I like it when both are combined, like manual controls + Neural ones to help with precision and complex movements.

I imagine that the neural controls wouldn't really be controls, but more like suggestions, or fine tuning.
Joysticks can move limbs in general directions and the mind handles the rest.
You could also probably set it up so that the mind pre-programs common movement sets the pilot will need so that mental strain is lessened.
>>
>>15175338
I've always assumed the mech pilots work with an AI system and the pilots use their superior situational awareness to make decisions and guide complex 3D maneuvers like engaging in swordplay or make a shot going at super fast speeds.
Basically I just imagine they create techniques that mix the advantages of AI and humans.

>>15175596
This one is best though because it directly fuses them.
>>
>>15175286
>How do you feel about pilots that pilot with their thoughts as oppose to a joystick and keyboard?

The fact that the minute the pilot gets hit once the whole machine doesn't go fucking nuts always amuses me.

I like esoteric control systems - like Dendoh's command inputs, or Megas's button and switch array that literally changes mid-episode and has silly little messages - and those times where it's mocap and the pilot is a martial artist. 90% of the time how you control the mech in systems that aren't one of those two is effectively pointless, because people with joysticks and steering wheels and whatever other shit will still somehow pull off really esoteric maneuvers as if they were mapped to controls, but thought controlled systems barely even show anything in cockpit shots usually - one's unrealistic and can lead to some cool shots but over larger series just makes you go "wait didn't him doing that three episodes make the mech do something totally different", and the other just doesn't lead to much in the way of interesting pilot shots.
>>
>>15175286
Let me just say this, Banagher controlling the Unicorn during Destroy Mode with his mind will never, ever, be as cool as the Stark Jegan guy
>>
File: stock.jpg~original.jpg (130KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
stock.jpg~original.jpg
130KB, 1000x1000px
>>15175338
This. I assume they have some kind of computer that they tell "Go this way with this much thrust and shoot at that object" and it works out how to do it with a bunch of macros and stock movements. Also helps explain stock footage because they always strike the same poses from the same movesets.

Kinda like those MMOs where you push button 3 and your guy dances around stabbing some orc as one move.
>>
>>15175286

Cyborgs.
>>
Mind machine interface makes the most sense, we are already making simple version in real life. I don't have the link on hand but there is a video with someone controlling a robotic arm remotely as if it where their own and they can even feel through it like a real arm.

But you should be able to have dramatic cockpit scenes, so have either backup manual controls or holographic pop up controls for when you need to it. You can say that the mind-machine interface can be overloaded or hacked or whatever bullshit.
>>
>>15175338
>down to each joint of each finger individually in every direction and angle, with manual controls.
Well there's a lot of shows out there where the pilot's movements are just mapped to be that of the robot's.
>>
>>15175286
Honestly, I think the brain-computer interface makes the most sense to me, but that's because I admit that my knowledge of neurology and neuro-technology is very limited.

Similarly, controlling everything a humanoid robot (like Gundams) can do with a simple twin-stick or keyboard setup is just as big a cop out as it's an over-simplification to imply that commands have to be manually inputted by a pilot. It'd be very cumbersome for actual combat as pilots would basically just be going through a series of different sub-menus to articulate the robot in the way they need to move it. Theoretically, an onboard AI can bridge the gap and increase response times by guessing what it is the pilot is wanting to do through some kind of super complex algorithm. However at that point it raises the question of whether a pilot is really needed if an AI is doing most of the work anyway. Manual controls make more sense on a walker-type mech that doesn't have any arms to articulate.
>>
>>15175783
The closest thing to Canon is where pretty much autoland, basic "shoot this shit" and basic moves are programed, so its like an arcade machine, which is why biocomputers, and NT weapons are a big deal because they provide the edge you need to kill the other guy.
>>
>>15176155
Thank you for replying with the same example I mentioned at the end of my post.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.