[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

let's talk about variants in mecha franchises, what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: Vlcsnap-2012-02-07-17h24m14s126.png (633KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2012-02-07-17h24m14s126.png
633KB, 640x480px
let's talk about variants in mecha franchises, what's your favorite?
>>
honestly i don't why the make this but i still like the mobile suit
>>
and finally with his pilot
>>
IIRC it was not red at first, but after a battle where the pilot defeated 100 mechs it was covered in oil making it look reddish and the pilot kept it that way.

Or I'm making shit up but I remember that scenario from some gundam seed game.
>>
>>15173292
I heard it was blood.
>>
>>15173292
>>15173316
You guys have it wrong. That's the backstory for Ed Harrelson, pilot of the Sword Calamity. He was an EA fighter pilot who accidentally cut a DINN in half when he crashed into it with his fighter's wing while hungover. He came back with the fighter covered in oil, and that's how he got his nickname of "Ed the Ripper".

The Calamity being red is his choice. He also piloted a Raider Full Spec that he kept in blue colors.
>>
File: 1439135694466.jpg (86KB, 600x903px) Image search: [Google]
1439135694466.jpg
86KB, 600x903px
pic related is best variant

>>15173280
That chest design with so many cavities is just hideous.
>>
>>15173273
>>15173277
>>15173280
What Yuusha is this?
>>
>>15174004
Someone like you would know about hideous

>>15174021
ebin
>>
>>15174021
One of the ones directed by Fukuda I think.
>>
>>15173273
>vanilla Calamity
>purebred artillery gundam
>zero concessions to the notion of a close-in fight

>Sword Calamity
>WE SHOULD MAKE A MELEE VARIANT
>YEAH, THAT MAKES SENSE

Ok, real talk: I love variants that take a base design and then explore its potential in a completely different direction, especially if it's in a role that was never part of the original design intent. One of my favorite examples is actually a real life one, the development of the multirole and deep interdiction F-15E Strike Eagle, whose parent design the F-15 Eagle was designed as a purebred air superiority aircraft. The Strike Eagle has proven itself to be an amazing plane, able to go deep and drop some impressive amounts of iron on surface targets while still being no slouch against air targets thanks to improved engines balancing out the extra fat it gained to support the new mission parameters, yet the original Eagle was built "not a pound for air to ground" and had cultivated one of the best performance records of any modern air superiority jet.

It's stuff like that that really catches my interest the most. It comes off as creatively bankrupt in entertainment due to the inherent rehash of the design from a visual standpoint, but from my perspective it demonstrates just how good your machine is that it can be adapted to different scenarios without having to hackjob up a redesign.
>>
File: Calamity_01.jpg (358KB, 795x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Calamity_01.jpg
358KB, 795x1067px
>>15174038
Technically, the Calamity's design is an X100 series frame, which is supposed to be the multipurpose frame that can be used for just about any terrain or purpose. That's in contrast to the X200 series frames (mirage colloid technology integrated into the frame) or the X300 frames (transforming type).

In the show at the time, the Calamity Gundam was the latest machine to have an X100 frame, and that meant it had the latest tech like trans-phase shift armor. It also includes extra thrusters that allow it to hover, unlike the earlier X100 models (Strike, Duel, and Buster) and a built in beam cannon.

Other than the Calamity's X100 frame being somewhat bulkier, it's not like it's unsuited for melee combat.
>>
>>15173988
Huh, I got it wrong. I wonder what that game scenario was about then.
>>
File: LKiDGhz.jpg (560KB, 2916x2916px) Image search: [Google]
LKiDGhz.jpg
560KB, 2916x2916px
>>15173273
My personal favorite, Morgan Chevalier shows why EA is not a typical Evil faction
>>
>>15174657
Isn't that piloted by the typical evil gruff looking guy?
>>
>>15174038
It would make sense if it operated with vanilla calamity to give it cover for whenever a enemy got to close for confort so that way the normal calamity can keep doing his shit while Sword defends it at close range
>>
>>15174891
It does also do what the regular Calamity does.
>>
>>15174657
I love this thing. One of first HG kits I got.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.