[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will this help the toku scene in America? Seems like we are getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (64KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
64KB, 720x1080px
Will this help the toku scene in America? Seems like we are getting less and less of this kind of stuff. I think maybe this movie will give tokusatsu a second wind.
>>
lol good one
>>
>>15158637
what exactly do you mean? Currently we're getting official Sentai dvd a large number of Ultraman shows are up on Crunchyroll officially and several also have dvd releases. Please Kamen Rider is pretty well covered by the fansub community tv nihon aside. Do you mean in the realm of American produced "toku"? In that case things are still going strong since super hero movies and tv shows keep coming out and doing extremely well. So I'm not really sure what you mean by "less and less of this kind of stuff"
>>
It'll be a nostalgia wank for people who grew up on the original and a flash in the pan with a temporary merchandise spike among young children before vanishing back to obscurity, just like the transformers movies.
>>
Fans hate it because NOT MUH.

Casuals hate it because LOL POWER RANGERS

It'll bomb and fade into obscurity as a laughable "thing that happened" a week after release.
>>
>>15158656
I just feel like it's a dying breed.
>>
>>15158637
>Will this help the toku scene in America
HA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Did Bayformers help the Transformers scene in America?

Do you think the GITS movie is going to help the mature anime scene in America?

Fuck, do all the comic book movies help the comic book scene? (The answer is no)
>>
>>15158688
>Did Bayformers help the Transformers scene in America?
For the last decade or so, Transformers pretty much always does better than it did in the early 2000s, so yes.
>>
>>15158681
It was never all that alive in America.
>>
>>15158688

the sheer stupidity of this post is astounding
>>
>>15158688
The anime scene in America was built on "mature" anime lol.
Why do you think there are all of these attack on titan posters everywhere in stores?
>>
when was there a "toku scene" here
>>
>>15159101
Circa 95-96?
>>
>>15159101

Saban had a number of "Americanized" toku shows airing through the 90s. That included Power Rangers, VR Troopers, Beetleborgs, Masked Rider, Ninja Turtles, and Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, off the top of my head.

Of course, the only really popular ones in that group were Power Rangers and Beetleborgs with a huge gap between the two.
>>
>>15159188
>>15159125
so why complain about it just now

also the movie won't do shit, it's about as "toku" as any other western superhero movie and people aren't going to start watching people punching rubbersuits instead of the next marvel movie after seeing it
>>
I don't think it's possible to make the line "it's morphin' time" not silly
>>
File: drunk-uncle.jpg (170KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
drunk-uncle.jpg
170KB, 650x400px
>>15158637
>Will this help the toku scene in America?

What? Why would it?

I thought it was pretty obvious that it's just another millennial nostalgia cash grab.
>>
>>15159247
>I don't think it's possible to make the line "it's morphin' time" not silly
The problem with that isn't if you can make it sound not silly, it's that American audiences can't take any silliness put into their mature gritty reboots for mature people like themselves. Oddly enough they are the same people who can't accept it when something with some heart and levity that's a bit goofy attempts to be serious, like how animated films are still looked down on as childish by many.
>>
>>15158681
>I just feel like it's a dying breed.
your feelings are wrong. This is a golden age of toku in the West. PR movies isn't reviving toku, PR movie exists because the toku is strong.
>>
>>15160039
I think that the PR movie is mostly independent of toku picking up steam in the USA. It looks more attached to the string of Pop Culture License: The Movie stuff and cape movies than anything else.
At the same time it does seem that toku (and a lot of niche forms of entertainment) is reaching a level of critical mass more and more these days, between the internet allowing for wider reach of thinner releases and simple population growth.
>>
>>15159929

>it's that American audiences can't take any silliness put into their mature gritty reboots for mature people like themselves

Conversely, Asian writers love cramming goofy comedy into the middle of their serious storytelling and somehow think it won't break the mood of whatever story you're trying to tell.

And fanboys are so obsessed with people taking their stuff as Serious Art that any acknowledgement of its inherent silliness causes the screeches of "WHY ARE THEY SO EMBARRASSED WITH THE PROPERTY" as though it's their fault and not yours for being so fucking sensitive.
>>
>>15160039
PR movie exists because people who were little children in the mid 90s are now adults who buy tickets to watch things that remind them of their childhood.
>>
>>15160061
Huh, the embarassment complaint usually happens with the inverse kind of people, when the movie tries to diss or turn the silliness of the original into srs business.
>>
>>15158912
That's largely China though
>>
>>15160169
Wasn't that mostly the movies? Considering that even the non-movie years performed drastically better than previously, and that they also went back to US-produced cartoons, the amount they made in the US must still be significant.
>>
There is no toku scene in the US besides Power Rangers. It's all that the American mainstream care about and know. Other toku shows like Metal Heroes, Kamen Rider, or Ultraman would be seen as "cheap Chinese productions" or "Jap Robocop ripoffs".

Trying to take toku and make it grimdark like US comic hero adaptations is a flawed premise. Even the Japanese are guilty of this when they did The First and The Next films for Kamen Rider.

The closest equivalent is the CWverse's DC line-up. And even those shows suffer from being on a tween network like CW.

FYI, toku doesn't just mean superheroes in Japanese TV, it can apply to anything with stunts and effects. The 80's Knight Rider would be considered a toku under the Japanese definition. The same for Hercules and Xena. Unfortunately, this isn't the 80's, 90's, and early 00's anymore. That market has dried up and people aren't going to watch shows like that.

American action on TV is a niche interest at best. Trying to spark off interest in Japanese live-action superheroes is damned near impossible. Look at Ultraman Tiga on Fox Kids. It tanked horribly.
>>
>>15160403
This, though let me add that
>Trying to take toku and make it grimdark like US comic hero adaptations is a flawed premise. Even the Japanese are guilty of this when they did The First and The Next films for Kamen Rider.
Its already kinda flawed when done to cape heroes themselves.

The only arguably positive this movie might produce is on the power rangers brand itself and even that's not likely.
>>
>>15160419
My point exactly. I'm a long-time DC fan and I have no clue what WB is thinking. Fucking CW is doing a better job with a shared DC universe than WB is. CW Flash and Arrow are the Superman and Batman of the CWverse and they have excellent chemistry together. That's actually one of the things I appreciate about the CWverse is that they're giving lesser-known DC heroes a chance to shine.

>The only arguably positive this movie might produce is on the power rangers brand itself and even that's not likely.
Nothing is gonna change for PR. Saban Brands are cheap fucks who want to make shows with as little effort as possible so that they can hook kids into buying toys, games, and other merchandise. PR does not have the iconic history that spans back to the Great Depression and WW2 days where Superman and Captain America battled the Nazis and Japanese.
>>
>>15158681
CW has Toku 4 nights a week.
>>
>>15158637
No. Instead you get more America First war movies.
>>
>>15160403
Toku is just special effects show. That's the requirements. The Japanese Wikipedia page lists fucking Teen Wolf and Supernatural as Toku shows.

It's just the weeb name we give a specific branch of Toku: Transforming heroes.
>>
>>15160447
3 now, Legends is after Flash from now on
>>
>>15160460
Ah but Supernatural is considered Toku in Japan and that's on Thursday.
>>
>>15158637
>guys can I get on the car too?
>sorry billy there's not enough room
>but trini is taking up so much space she can ju-
>there's not enough room, billy
>o-okay
>>
>>15160468
Pretty sure that's Zack not on top of the car there. Which fits, because I'm pretty sure he's the loner of the group. I wonder if that means he'll get his own arc over the other rangers in the movie.
>>
>>15158637
>help the toku scene

What made toku cool was all the neat costumes and monsters and this looks like it has neither.
>>
>>15158637
Greatest toku of all time
https://youtu.be/cuyrbEfW5uU
>>
>>15160816
I figured it was funnier this way since I remember Billy getting shit on a lot.
>>
>>15161111
I haven't seen MMPR in forever, dude. I wouldn't know.
>>
>>15161111
yeah I figured it was like "no queermos allowed on the cool kids car, faglord"
>>
>>15158637
I think it will flop.
>>
>>15158688
>Did Bayformers help the Transformers scene in America?

yeah. quite a bit in fact.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.