[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it seem like there's so much less mecha these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: quality mongolian robot show.gif (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
quality mongolian robot show.gif
1MB, 960x720px
Why does it seem like there's so much less mecha these days? Twenty years ago you couldn't walk anywhere without tripping over a new robot cartoon, but here in the present they're few and far between. Even when a new robot cartoon does come out, nobody seems to care.
>>
Mecha is shit.

This is the time for guns, tanks, jets and battleships.

The world is more militarized so they care less about giant fucking toys.

Be a man, forget mechs!
>>
>>15146675
Nice false flag.
>>
>>15146676
What's false flagging?
>>
>>15146670
you clearly have just gone blind anon
>>
>>15146670
Well, AFAIK there's plenty or at least reasonable numbers of newer or modern /m/ shows, but /m/ doesn't talk on many of them or they go unnoticed. Dunno why, really.

>>15146676
Why would you even reply to him seriously? He said "mech" instead of "mecha", that's a tipoff by itself.
>>
>>15146689
>Why would you even reply to him seriously? He said "mech" instead of "mecha", that's a tipoff by itself.
There's a difference?
>>
Robot are 'old fashioned' to kids nowadays, since the market's shifted more towards collectibles.
The initial market's grown up, too, so a lot of tastes have shifted towards more mature stuff and less interest giant robots. The adult market's shifted more towards waifus and moe, too, which isn't as prevalent in mecha since it would detract from the robots.

So really the problem is that the market's mostly dried up. A lot of modern designs are more complicated, too, so they might be more difficult to make into toys, though that's just speculation, along with the majority of this post. Really just my two cents.
>>
>>15146670
Normalfags don't like giant robots, but that's okay, mecha being niche may mean we get less /m/ related content, but it also keeps communities like this one as great as it is.
>>
>>15146707
>mecha community
>great
Ha ha oh wow.

I would dare say the hentai community is better than this one, much more active and with more contents.
>>
>>15146713
Well, you're entitled to your own opinion, but /m/ is definitely one of the better online community's I've seen. I love you fags.
>>
>>15146693
For me at least it's like saying "Legos". It sounds kinda shitty and is sorta incorrect.
>>
>>15146717
Circlejerkers will always love the cock they jerk off, for it's all they know.
>>15146718
Mechs are incorrect now?

Sorry brah, I don't know.
>>
70s, 80s and 90s had a lot of mecha shows to sell mecha toys.

Now, only old franchises guarantee toy sales ( Gundam, Transformers, Go Nagai stuff, etc.)
>>
>>15146724
I dunno if it's necessarily incorrect, but IMO it doesn't sound very good. Like, do you say "sheep" or "sheeps"? "Moose" or "mooses"? So I always think "mecha" and "mecha", or refer to a singular machine as just that or "robot".
>>
>>15146753
That's a first for me, because saying mechas is really weird.
>>
>>15146756
Ah, but I never said "mechas". It's like "Lego"- you say Lego or Lego, ignoring "Lego Brand Plastic Building Blocks."
>There is a lego brick there
>There are lego bricks there

For mecha
>There is a robot there
>There is a group of mecha there
>Mecha is a nice genre
>>
>>15146762
That is not how it works, mecha is not a group word.
>>
>>15146794
Ah, alright. I must be getting confused because of its use in stuff like 3:15 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtwkJ2lC0sQ
>>
>>15146670

Most of the innovative mecha designers and story creators do less now ( thank god Takahashi is back this year). Mecha was great because it often pushed boundaries and set trends - and did so because the story tellers had exposure to other fiction and cared less about fitting in with tropes. Modern anime is much more self referential, and an emphasis on commentating on otaku culture is present, which does'nt work for mecha shows. While in the 80s you had the second rate hacks attempting to coast on the ideas of the big creative talents - these days the anime industry is too conservative to give those genuine talents any chance, they just stick with what is safe and guaranteed to make a profit - and generally go for established old men or younger hacks who let marketing dictate their work. So we get Gundam, and more Gundam, and occasionally a rehash of another older mecha, or a collection of anime tropes with some giant robots done with cheap CGI. Hence the new mecha shows are bad, less people want to watch new mecha shows because they are bad, so less are made , so producers cheap out and are more conservative about making mecha shows, and the downward spiral continues on.
>>
>>15146813
has it been confirmed that the new votoms thing is an anime?
>>
>>15146670
Well, actually there's pretty much the same amount being made.
>>
>>15146675
>guns, tanks, jets and battleships
>battleships

I want to take your bait seriously but ehh
You're just shitting yourself
>>
>>15146961
>ALL ''ROBOT'' .....
>''ROBOT''
>Infinite Stratos

Jesus
>>
>>15146670
Someone post that picture of the 2 Japanese kids saying mecha is old fashioned.
>>
>>15146756
I think it actually a bit cooler than just robot, or even that normiespeak called mech (that they always mistaken as just piloted bipedal robits, instead of all robots/mechanical)
>>
>>15146966
Forgetting Kancolle, are we?
>>
>>15146813
>Hence the new mecha shows are bad, less people want to watch new mecha shows because they are bad, so less are made

Hi leddit.
>>
>>15146956
It was fake news, anon.
>>
>>15146997
>Moeshit

I don't even give a shit

>LotGH

Now we're talking
>>
>>15146670
>Why does it seem like there's so much less mecha these days?

You have to see how many shows are produced each year to give an accurate assessment. I don't think this rate has changed a lot over the last 3 decades. What has changed is the the kind of mecha anime that is made. Short series instead of 50-60-70-100 episode shows. Aired at late night instead of being broadcast in prime time or during a children's block on tv.

>Twenty years ago you couldn't walk anywhere without tripping over a new robot cartoon, but here in the present they're few and far between.

Please, take off those rose tinted glasses. 20 years ago we were in 1997. I don't remember tens, hundreds of mecha shows coming out in 1997. Even in 1996, 1995, 1994 etc... At most a couple each year in Japan and that is it.

> Even when a new robot cartoon does come out, nobody seems to care.

Can it be that if you present the same shit year after year after year even the most die hard fans will eventually say enough ? Look at Gundam as the most prominent example of this trend. A franchise that is fundamentally unable to renew itself.
>>
>>15146675
>This is the time for guns, tanks, jets and battleships.
It's time we combine all of them and create the final weapon.
>>
>>15147138
Nukes?
>>
>>15147077
I'm talking about Kancolle though, what are you talking about?
>>
>>15146689
holy shit you have legit autism level 9
>>
>>15147156
Im giving a better solution than that moeshit
>>
>>15147178
I'm not talking about solution though, we are speaking about battleships.
>>
>>15147178
What's wrong with moe stuff?
>>
>>15147265
Do you even know where you are, nigga?

4/10 made me reply
>>
>>15147156
I hate Kancolle purely for its affects on the figure/sculpt market. So many amazing prototypes getting turned down because making a million more sculpts of boat sluts get made that are more profitable.
>>
>>15147329
The sin of popularity again.
>>
File: HALsuit.jpg (29KB, 300x438px) Image search: [Google]
HALsuit.jpg
29KB, 300x438px
>>15146670
When things are gradually becomes reality, people are pretty much becomes bored by it

Example: Cyberpunk
>>
>>15147346
>HALsuit
nice model
>>
As an outsider here my take on the situation is that mech has too little variety. If you've seen one you've seen them all (it feels like). At this point I'm watching Gundam for the politics, not the mechs.

While the designs are cool they just seem so impractical sometimes. I think you need a mech that is toned down to bridge the gap more, and that has more focus on actual fighting tactics. As-is my experience with mech has been either the protagonist shits all over enemy forced or has a glorified "my hammer is bigger" fight with the antagonist mech. And that rinses and repeats.
>>
File: you.png (461KB, 870x722px) Image search: [Google]
you.png
461KB, 870x722px
>>15146675
>>
>>15151665
You are looking for something like front mission or steel battalion. I haven't seen any mecha like that either.

I am a huge Gundam fan but it also sucks how the Gundam models shit all over everything. It is almost why superman is shitty. It does get boring and annoying a bit.
Gundam 08th ms team was good. Not super robo in giant robo world. They're all just giant.
>>
>>15146670
>Twenty years ago you couldn't walk anywhere without tripping over a new robot cartoon

Please tell me about all these shows because I dont think they exist other than for the sake of your argument.
>>
>>15151665
>I think you need a mech that is toned down to bridge the gap more, and that has more focus on actual fighting tactics.
VOTOMS, you want Armored Trooper VOTOMS.
>>
File: 1484868756566.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1484868756566.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>15146689
Well I guess it works if you're talking Battletech, but I don't think we're talking Battletech
>>
>>15146961
>God Bless Dancouga
>>
>>15151665
>As an outsider here my take on the situation is that mech has too little variety. If you've seen one you've seen them all (it feels like). At this point I'm watching Gundam for the politics, not the mechs.

Your reasoning is shit.
Hypothesis : I watch only Gundam
Conclusion : All mecha shows are shit because they're the same.

My recommendation is : watch mecha shows that aren't Gundam. They exist even in 2017, or maybe go watch or some old show.
How about you watch Gasaraki ? That will be a change of pace compared to Gundam. Or how about a spin on Gao Gai Gar ? Or Flag ?
Variety is out there, go and watch.
>>
>>15146670
I too can complain that there isn't a new mecha this season, but if there was it would just be another IS or some other replacement for the usual moe drivel. Can't help that we're looking for diamonds in the sewer, to invent an only partially relevant analogy.
>>
>>15151665

Try the Patlabor movies.
>>
>>15151380
Its actually working on fukushima m8
>>
>>15151820
I am an outsider. I only just began watching Gundam and like I said the only reason I am still watching is because the politics are interesting.

I have actually watched more non-Gundam mech than Gundam. NGE, Big-O, that one faggy death note wannabe le-douche's anime and so on. But they all still fall under the same issues.

Perhaps there is a different mech anime that doesn't fall for the pitfalls, but it certainly isn't nearly advertised enough for anyone outside the community to know about it. Which is why I was giving my perspective as an outsider. I gave the genre a real fair try but so far I am unipressed by the mech aspect, what is supposed to be the central characteristic of the genre.
>>
There's been a general lack of interest in sci-fi over the past several decade or so, blockbusters like Star Wars notwithstanding. It's not a surprise that a series heavily rooted in sci-fi would suffer a decline with the rest of the sci-fi.
>>
>>15151867

If you don't like mecha, then it's no big deal. Enjoy what you want to enjoy.
>>
>>15146670
Oh god, it's another one of you morons. There's just as much mecha being made nowadays as ever. See >>15146961
>>
>>15146695
>The adult market's shifted more towards waifus and moe, too, which isn't as prevalent in mecha since it would detract from the robots.
Just make the robots into Moe Waifus.
Problem solved!
>>
>>15152258
They don't do this much, so cases like Kirameki Project are rare.
>>
>>15146997
You do realize that the last battleship on earth was decommissioned in 2006? Battleships are the past, not the future. And Kancolle is irredeemable trash.
>>
>>15146813
This
>>
>>15147131

>>15146961 proves you wrong. Two per year in 1997? How about GGG, Dagwon, Rayearth, Wataru, Ehrgeiz, amomg a slew of OVAs and movies like Endless Waltz, Macross Dynamite 7, and EoE
>>
>>15154599
If you look at the updated version of that chart, you'll see that it's on the same level for the last few years.
>>
>>15147329

This is what happened to mecha.

Once pokemon fucking took off, everyone realized that it was better to make bank off merch that didn't involve a shit ton of plastic to make. A bike with a Pikachu slapped on it would sell way more than, let's say, a Xabungle bike. This also meant way, WAY more merch types, like card games, plushies, etc...

Besides, you don't really need to push robits as your main merch attraction anymore when super sentai and kamen Rider proves that the mecha can take a backseat.

Kids still love giant robots. They just love things other than giant robots now.
>>
File: 1411535874961.png (880KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1411535874961.png
880KB, 720x720px
>>15146670
There is still a handful of mecha shows per season on average despite mecha not being as prevalent as it once was in the 70s to 90s.

Winter 2012:
>SEED HD remaster
>Mouretsu Pirates
>RnL S1
>Aquarion EVOL
>Danboru Senki W
Spring 2012:
>Eureka Seven AO
Summer 2012:
>MLA TE
>RnL S2
>Horizon S2
Fall 2012
>Gyrozetter
>Wooser S1
>Robotic;Notes
>Eurkea Seven AO Final Two Episodes
Winter 2013:
Outside of Vivired Operation, no mecha or /m/ related shows that season.
Spring 2013:
>SEED-Destiny HD remaster
>Danborou Senki Wars
>Majestic Prince
>Reboot Tetsujin-28
>Haiyore! Nyaruko San S2
>Yamato 2199
>Gargantia
>Valvrave
Summer 2013:
>Symphogear S2
>Gachaman Crowds
Fall 2013:
>Gundam Build Fighters
>Samurai Flamenco
>Valvrave S2
Winter 2014:
>Chou Zenmairobo: Patrasche (2 min short)
>Robot Girls Z
>Buddy Complex
>Nobunaga the Fool
>Wooser S2
Spring 2014:
>Majin Bone
>Daimidaler
>Captain Earth
>Sidonia S1
Summer 2014:
>Argevollen
>Aldnoah/Zero
Fall 2014:
>Gundam Build Fighters Try
>Gundam G-Reco
>Cross-Ange
Winter 2015:
>Aldnoah/Zero S2
>Fafner S2/Exodus
>Doamaiger D
Spring 2015:
>Sidonia S2
>Ghost in the Shell Arise
Summer 2015:
>Aquarion Logos/S3
>Gachaman Crows S2
>Wooser S3
Fall 2015:
>Heavy Object
>Comet Lucifer
>Gundam Tekketsu S1
>Fafner S3/Exodus

Winter 2016:
>Schwarzesmarken
>Active Raid
Spring 2016:
>Kuromukuro
>Macross Delta
>Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Summer 2016:
>Regalia
>Active Raid S2
Fall 2016:
>Gundam Tekketsu S2
>Bubuki Buranki S2
>Winter 2017:
Nothing.
>>
I like how virtually everyone ITT ignores the fact that just as much mecha now is being made as in the past.
>>
>>15155823
Actually a very good chunk of the posts in the thread are pointing this out.
>>
>>15155234
The 70s actually didn't see that many shows being made, although they had more episodes.
>>
File: 1481530284878.jpg (142KB, 567x437px) Image search: [Google]
1481530284878.jpg
142KB, 567x437px
>>15146670
>Why does it seem like there's so much less mecha these days?
Hard to point out one specific reason, I guess it's a mix of:
>Japan getting more and more depressed to the point that they only want to cherish their high-school years and nothing else
>Physical toys not selling anymore
>Robots are actually becoming a reality
>Mecha designers either go full Gundam style or full postmodern clusterfuck, no inbetweens
>From a philosophical standpoint, mecha promotes values that don't belong to the modern world anymore, so it feels rather cheesy and anachronistic for most people

>Even when a new robot cartoon does come out, nobody seems to care.
Well, it's hard to care when it's all "high school setting with an overdesigned clusterfuck mecha and the main pilot is a japanese boy with dark hair".
>>
File: 1483608140913.jpg (63KB, 455x817px) Image search: [Google]
1483608140913.jpg
63KB, 455x817px
>>15146670
or mech shows with girls dancing in them . . .
>>
>>15156428
Hey retard
There hasn't been a decrease in the amount of mecha being made
Kill yourself
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.