[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Yamato 2199 considered a worthy remake/reimagining that honors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 12

File: 1473063933086.jpg (667KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473063933086.jpg
667KB, 1920x1080px
Is Yamato 2199 considered a worthy remake/reimagining that honors the original while making it fresh for a new generation, or is it just a cheap cash-in laden with blatant fanservice?
>>
>>15124926

Why don't you watch it yourself and form your own opinion?
>>
>>15124926
It's good, but you're gonna get the "NOT MUH"like always.
>>
>>15124926
Cheap cash-in
>>
File: 1479488403226.png (245KB, 365x765px) Image search: [Google]
1479488403226.png
245KB, 365x765px
>>15124926
I really enjoyed it. I've spoken to a few original is better fags and I've heard their complaints but as a modern day adaptation of an older series you really can't go wrong. The middle dragged a little but the ending was something truly to behold.
>>
>>15124926
ANALyzer a bro
>>
>>15124926
It's really good just avoid the movies especially the live action, that one will give you cancer.
>>
The original series' first season and 2199 are really the only Yamato things worth watching. 2199 definitely has more fanservice and at times feels a little harem-y, bit it's solid.
>>
2199 is one of the best remakes ever made.
Keeps all the good things about the original while getting rid of all the bad.
>>
>>15125634
Season 2 is pretty good too. It's just everything afterwards that's throw away.
>>
>>15125480
>but the ending was something truly to behold.
>generic sappy hollywood ending
>something to behold

Fucking secondary
>>
>>15124926
The first

Yuki's booty though
>>
It's alright. They go a bit of a different direction with the Gamilas.
>>
>>15125638
>2199 is one of the best remakes ever made.

I wouldn't go this far, but I agree about the latter you said.
>>
>>15124951
>Cheap cash-in

There is nothing cheap about Yamato 2199. You might not like remakes, but this one of the few remakes done 100% right. Takes what works in the original and actualizes it to XXIst century sensibilities and runs with it. Improvement to story, character design, mecha, audio, video, animation etc... There is no reason AT ALL to watch the original if not to make a stupid bragging point.
>>
>>15125923
What would you say is a better remake?
>>
File: 1462519784995.jpg (35KB, 293x364px) Image search: [Google]
1462519784995.jpg
35KB, 293x364px
>>15125884
>I'll take nameless faceless baseless anon opinions for 100 Alex!
They're called opinions sweety its ok to disagree with me.
>>
>>15125967
>There is no reason AT ALL to watch the original

But the old cheap art style is charming

Same with watching classic Mazinger as well as Shin
>>
>>15126108
Only reason to watch Toeizinger is for the mythical crabstick subs.

Same reason Duwang never dies.
>>
>>15125967
>There is nothing cheap about Yamato 2199
>DAT SHIT CG
>THOSE BLAND CHARACTER DESIGNS
>>
>>15125967
>Improvement to story, character design, mecha, audio, video, animation etc... There is no reason AT ALL to watch the original
>>15125638
>2199 is one of the best remakes ever made.
How to spot a secondary
>>
>>15126123
>shit CG
"no"
>bland character designs
at least all the females don't look like clones of each other.
>>
>>15126117
there's also the FUCKING subs
>>
>>15126185
>at least all the females don't look like clones of each other.
You just don't understand the masterful retro charm of every single female character you draw having the same face.
>>
File: yamato yuki.jpg (246KB, 347x800px) Image search: [Google]
yamato yuki.jpg
246KB, 347x800px
The fanservice is a positive.
>>
This would've been better had Hollywood been able to make a Starblazers adaptation.
>>
File: yamato-girls.jpg (265KB, 1393x1000px) Image search: [Google]
yamato-girls.jpg
265KB, 1393x1000px
>>15126185
>at least all the females don't look like clones of each other.
Yeah now they have different colored bodysuits to tell them apart
>>
>>15126234
You know, this makes me miss Nobuteru Yuuki's big noses. As much as he and the rest of the staff are being faithful to the Yamato aesthetic, a distinct art style wouldn't have hurt.
>>
>>15126250
They are pretty distinctive though, retro inspired but still modern.
>>
File: 1432010784700.jpg (49KB, 325x355px) Image search: [Google]
1432010784700.jpg
49KB, 325x355px
>>15126123
>Still bitching about cgi in 2017
Stay mad. Cgi is here to stay.
>>
>>15126234
Breast sizes are different too, how did you not notice that? Are you one of those "homosexuals" I've heard rumors about?
>>
File: Detail_Up_Technique.jpg (923KB, 1719x849px) Image search: [Google]
Detail_Up_Technique.jpg
923KB, 1719x849px
>>15126265
>>15126123
There was an interview about the use of CGI with one of the producers.

Fact of the matter is, there just *isn't* the same kind of talent available to animate large masses of ships in combat in the present compared to the past. Those hand-drawn Gatlantean ships in episode 11? They're all still images and it still pushed them to the limit.

And let's be honest, the CGI allowed for far more dynamic and complex battles than the original, such that I still hold 2199 as having some of the best space combat in modern times. A lot of other media don't quite hold up.

Whatever you say about the CGI, at least admit the Detail-Up technique they did for static shots is just amazing. You can view these on sadpanda.
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/990140/980fc2fda2/
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/990187/edaae28832/
>>
>>15125967
>There is no reason AT ALL to watch a timeless classic that innovated the fuck out of Japanese cartoons
Officially the most shit opinion I've ever read. No remake invalidates the original. You are scum. You are, and I'm using this phrase unironically for the first time, uncultured swine. Perish in flames.
>>
Alright fellas, i watched the entire 70s Harlock series without a problem, so visuals mean nothing to me. So, visuals aside, which version of Yamato is best?
>>
>>15126417
Hes just parroting the /a/ consensus calm down
We already know theyre all stupid plebs
>>
>>15126428
People generally laud season 2 of the original to be one of the greatest. Personally I find 2199 to be the most consistent plot-wise, though it's a bit more iffy especially with Dessler towards the end. 2199 also has the best depiction of the Gamilons I feel.
>>
New preview trailer of the upcoming 2202 series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOi_I0cEFU

As we are already talking about Yamato here, there is no reason to make a new thread just for it, and lets face it your yamato threads generally only have between 25 to 30 posters.

They probably changed the whole Leiji "Technology are making us lazy fuckers, those new ships have no soul" stuff from the beginning of the original second series to "You bastards are secretly rearming our fleet with forbidden Wave Motion Guns?!" or something like that. It is probably a more viable topic today, with the whole current growth of the Japanese army and changes in the constitution.
>>
File: everything.jpg (44KB, 382x523px) Image search: [Google]
everything.jpg
44KB, 382x523px
No. It's fooking shite. Literally an abortion and disgrace compared to the original.
>>
>>15126389
It's worth pointing out too that Nishii's approach is a lot more labor intensive than the normal CG approach as they had to literally draw a number of shots where they use the CGI for the linework.

As for as I'm aware, nobody else does this. It's a relatively unique approach by Xebec.
>>
I find it funny that you apparently thing the fanservice is new. The original series was dripping with it too. Yuki is basically just around to strut and pose in the world's tightest flightsuit and flash her underwear.
>>
>>15127508
Kobayashi has also confirmed on Twitter that we may be seeing additional Yamato-class ships.
>>
>>15126428
Watch both.

Honestly they are different enought to be considered different stories.

The old one is more like a space adventure, while the remake is mostly centered on politic and military drama.

I tend to favor the remake slightly but both are good with different weakness.
>>
File: average kommando cockpit.jpg (127KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
average kommando cockpit.jpg
127KB, 1920x1080px
>>15128056
They already do show a batch of four, or more, Andromeda class ships ready in the preview, so I don't doubt nothing.
>>
>>15128718
>pic

t-thanks japan
>>
>>15127731
I heard this argument before. It's even more stupid now than the first time I heard. Fuck off, really.
>>
>>15128746
How is it stupid when the old show had analyzer literally rip off yukis uniform for some tasteful pantsu service.
i'm pretty sure the new one didn't do that
>>
>>15128746

What did Analyzer actually do in the original series other than act as comic relief and flip Yuki's skirt at every opportunity?
>>
>>15128844
>How is it stupid when the old show had analyzer literally rip off yukis uniform for some tasteful pantsu service.
Because it was part of his characterization. Analyzer loved Yuki and did those as an expression to be human whereas 2199 Analyzer is a generic robot with no personality
>>
>>15128889
>whereas 2199 Analyzer is a generic robot with no personality
did you even watch the remake?
>>
>>15128844
>>15128887
It's still not equivalent to the camera constantly closing up in a very unnatural way in the girls ass/pussies while they're wearing clothes so tight it looks more like bodypaint than an uniform. And that for no good reason. The "fan service" in the original show was more like an recurring gag than really fan service. That kind of humor was popular back in the day and Analyzer was one the series' comic relief characters. Maybe Yuki showing up naked during the warp scene would be more like fan service, and it happens only once in the entire show.
>>
>>15129171
Yeah. 40+ years of developments & innovations in skill, techniques & technology within the animation industry has made no difference at all in how fanservice is depicted.

The scenes in the original were as much fanservice as comedy, if not more so. Deal with it.
>>
>>15129201
What I'm dealing with here is that you're just dumb and a waste of my time.
>>
>>15129171
> camera constantly closing up in a very unnatural way in the girls ass/pussies while they're wearing clothes so tight it looks more like bodypaint than an uniform.
With "constantly" we have the infamous Yuki butt scene and that's it. Probably there was more quick scenes or something of sorts, it have been a good time since I watched 2199 for the last time so memory will fail me for such small specifics, but in no way this kind of fanservice overlaps the space battle scenes, political intrigues or other more important stuff. Yes, 2199 do have some fanservice scenes, I would never deny such, but in no way the series overuse it or is made simply of this kind of stuff.

Also, the tight female suits in 2199 are pretty much the very same female uniforms from the original series.

>>15128889
The whole sequence of gag's of Analyzer saying that he loves Yuki, lifting her skirt and saying that he was human culminated into a episode where he and her went together in a recon mission on a planet where they are taken captive by some insect people, situation went south, Analyzer protects Yuki using his metallic body and after all that she goes embraces Kodai who came with a rescuing party. Analyzer sadly accepts that he will never have Yuki, that he is no match for a real human on this matter, and that's it.

In contrast, in 2199 the majority of Analyzer gag scenes are cut out. Instead we compact the whole existential dilemma of the humanity of the robots in one very interesting episode where he start a friendship, with tragic results, with a captured Gamilan robot, and that's it. I really believe that 2199 gains more with not trying to recreate those old Analyzer gags and spending more of their time showing of their new cast or showing more of the Gamilan side of things. Analyzer is put in a very far away corner in 2199 compared to the original show, but personally I dont think it was bad choice by the production team.
>>
>>15129330
>I have no actual argument so I'll just insult him.

Sure, kiddo. Here's your (You)
>>
Every anime with female characters has fanservice at some level. Yamato may have pioneered/popularized it and the whole "bridge bunny" concept, but that doesn't detract from the overall experience. If you don't like fanservice yet watch anime regularly, the issue is not with the medium, but with you.
>>
File: wolf frakken.png (496KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
wolf frakken.png
496KB, 1280x720px
Everyone is talking about the girls, but who here is excited for best boy Frakken?
>>
>>15129377
>Analyzer is put in a very far away corner in 2199 compared to the original show, but personally I dont think it was bad choice by the production team.
Of course because if they had kept him the same it would have clashed heavily with the general atmosphere they were going for with the remake. Doesn't make it bad I mean at least they're not making him a "modern" interpretation of the character but something that stays close to the original without making it ridiculous. I would say this is also the reason why Kodai isn't a hothead this time around and is considerably more downplayed (like most of the human cast) in comparison to the original.
>>
>>15129718
Childhood is idolizing Dessler
Adulthood is realizing Frakken made more sense.
>>
>>15126417
>No remake invalidates the original
Why on Dog's brown Earth would you play the original Metroid when Zero Mission exists?
>>
>>15126117
>>15126208
Not that anon, but it's a legit entertaining show. It has actual english subs that you can torrent and watch it with, easily.
Have you ever tried it? You get actual action, good banter, interesting villains, and crazy robots as well as decent fights between them.
>>
File: Ganba team.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ganba team.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
>>15129654
>Every anime with female characters has fanservice at some level
Yeah, this show constantly flashed T&A to its preschool audience in your little fantasy land
>>
>>15124926
Both, I guess.
It's not that bad. It's inferior to the original, but at least it's watchable.

>>15130015
Dessler in the original was fucking awesome. In the remake he's literally a cuck.
>>
>>15125634
The movie Saraba Yamato is so fucking incredible. It's one of my favorite movies ever. But you have to watch the first Season first. The second Season, for what I gather, is a retelling of that movie, and people say it's good (I didn't watch it).
>>
>>15125967
You are fucking retarded. Kodai and Okita's relationship in the original was quite better, it took time and life losses to make Kodai understand why Okita acted the way he did. In the remake they become BFF just like that.
Dessler in the original wasn't a pathetic loser butthurt about a love that wasn't reciprocated. He was a guy trying to save his race, even if he had to extinguish another. Kodai learns that and wonders how different humans are than them.
The best thing about the original is that it doesn't demonize the antagonists. In the remake it's pretty clear that Dessler is an asshole because just because, since we are supposed to root for a faction or something.
It's a good remake. But it's nowhere as good as the original.
>>
>>15126417
>unironically calls someone an uncultured swine
>uncultured
>on a taiwanese graffiti forum
>>
>>15126417

It's so innovative and timeless that barely any show released in recent years uses it as a template or any kind of inspiration.

Except maybe Starship Operators.
>>
>>15130268

The second season happened because "Farewell"'s ending pissed a lot of people off, what with literally every major member of the Yamato's crew dying and the ship being destroyed by the end. It may have fit with the major themes of the show (i.e. dying for a noble cause, the traditional Japanese way), but it upset people.

If you want to get technical about it, everything Yamato produced after "Farewell" is a cheap cash-in, because that was supposed to be the end.
>>
>>15130826
>The second season happened because "Farewell"'s ending pissed a lot of people off

People loved that movie. The second season happened because the ending pissed off Leiji Matsumoto
>>
>>15130826

Lazy Matsumoto is not "a lot" of people.
>>
>>15130278
>Taiwanese graffiti forum
I kek'd. Anon was right though.
>>
>>15130826
It was a great ending. To me that's the end of it. I watched 2199, I might eventually watch the second season, but to me the story ended with Kodai making the sacrifice.
And I'll be honest, the fact that almost everyone gave their life, one after another, and Kodai going against the enemy with Starsha is what set this movie apart, together with those beautiful monologues (typical from Matsumoto) about love and what else there is to give when you gave almost everything. It's an ode to those who gave their lives for the sake of their loved ones. Otherwise that movie would've been another cheap cash-in; fortunately, it wasn't.
>>
Visually I liked it and I was thankful for a series that felt more adult-like in opposition to 80% of sci-fi series we are getting now...but that's about it. I thought the plot became increasingly boring towards the end and the Yamato powering through everything like a super robot got very tiring. I might check out the sequel with lowered expectations.

I've never seen the original.
>>
>>15128718
Looked like two of them were variants. The two on the outer rails had big superstructures on them.
>>
>>15133135
>typical from Matsumoto

I don't recall his shitty writing about what means to be a true man in those scenes. It's not vague enough, are you sure it was him?
>>
What will happen in 2202 when both the scatter wave motion gun and Galatanis' dimension gun are both introduced in the first chapter?

In Season 2, they appeared much later.

It looks like we will get multiple Andromedas rather than a full fleet of battleships, cruisers and destroyers.
>>
>>15124926
probably the best remake of an old series out there.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.