[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Don't normally venture around these parts, but I figured

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: mEq6tmV.jpg (160KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mEq6tmV.jpg
160KB, 707x1000px
Don't normally venture around these parts, but I figured it'd be more fitting to ask here. What do you guys think of this gem? Favorite shorts? Best robot?

For me, Franken's Gears was a clear favorite. Nightmare was super spooky too. I feel like I should have loved Presence but the animation felt so unnatural that I was constantly distracted from the story.
>>
File: doll.gif (920KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
doll.gif
920KB, 500x300px
>>15110167
>unnatural animation
what's natural animation according to you then?
>>
>>15110184
The movement was beautifully fluid, but the timing felt off to me. Like, I thought the MC was a robot at first because of the way he moved. Which would have been a pretty cool way to show it desu. But no he's just a typical manchild.
>>
File: vlcsnap-00043.jpg (44KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00043.jpg
44KB, 600x338px
>>15110193
He moves in a stilted and awkward way because he feels trapped and constrained, and won't let himself do what he really wants.
It's perfectly appropriate.
>>
File: 1453572718927.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1453572718927.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>15110201
Fair point, but it took me out of the story regardless of artistic intent. Actually my favorite part of that short was the kids playing football that dudes' head, that shit was hilarious.

And to answer your previous question, I'd say something like this looks natural to me. Though I'm not discrediting other styles of animation, that's the whole fucking appeal of an anthology anyway.
>>
>>15110208
Rotoscoping (aka one of the uncanniest, most awkward-looking types of animations) feels natural to you?

Is this some sort of nxtlvl bait?

Are you a robot?
>>
>>15110213
>implying you can't rotoscope well

Guess Snow White's garbage then. Also I think only part of that webm is rotoscoped.
>>
>>15110167
Yeah, Franken's Gears was nice.

A Tale of Two Robots was my favourite.
>>
>>15110223
You certainly can rotoscope well, but only when it doesn't look rotoscoped.
Your webm looks almost entirely rotoscoped.

Are you Ralph Bakshi?
>>
>>15110229
I don't really agree with that. For me that particular clip doesn't have that "floaty" feeling I dislike about a lot of rotoscoping. And even if the technique is apparent, as long as the end product looks good to me that's all I really care about.

>Ralph Bakshi

Never seen any of his movies actually.
>>15110228
That one was pretty fun too. Did the subbers really expect me to understand a word that mad scientist nigga was saying though?
>>
>>15110262
>as long as the end product looks good to me that's all I really care about
I know, i'm just explaining you that your idea of "natural" animation is extremely outlandish.
>>
>>15110268
I think you're getting too hung up on my use of the word. I was just trying to say it looked "unnatural" to me, not that it was poorly animated. Basically it goes back to this:

>as long as the end product looks good to me that's all I really care about.

I'm guessing that's your favorite short. Mind sharing what you liked about it?
>>
>>15110277
>I was just trying to say it looked "unnatural" to me, not that it was poorly animated.
Yes. I know. And I'm just explaining you that your idea of "natural" animation is extremely outlandish.

>Mind sharing what you liked about it?
everything
>>
>>15110278
It's just my honest personal preference, nothing outlandish about it. Maybe it's outlandish on this board, but again, I have no way of knowing and not really interested in assuming. And I just plucked a webm quickly on hand, something like Only Yesterday would probably fit your criteria better.

>everything

OK cool, I liked the football head part the most.
>>
>>15110290
It's not really part of the short, it's the studio's intro.
>>
>>15110377
Eh, it's pretty much the opening credits. That shit still counts. I will say I think the short's portrayal of loss and regret is poignant, though thematically and emotionally Franken's Gears clicked with me much more. Gotta love man's ingenuity and folly.
>>
>>15110228
A tale of two robots was great
>>
I remember watching Robot Carnival on Saturday Anime on the Sci-Fi Channel. Deprive was my favorite segment. It felt like it had animators from Z and ZZ Gundam working on it.
>>
Nightmare is easily my favorite.
Cloud is overrated.
Tale of Two Robots's dub is a masterpiece.
>>
>>15110229
okay
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.