[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are the most real super-robot series? and what are the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 18

what are the most real super-robot series?
and
what are the most super real-robot series?
>>
File: Daiguard.png (771KB, 556x679px) Image search: [Google]
Daiguard.png
771KB, 556x679px
>>15096984
Answer for both
>>
>>15096984
getter robo go manga
>>
>>15096988
Nailed it.
>>
>>15096984
Define real robot
Define super robot

>>15096988
>generic monsters attack city and robot fights them
>somehow a special case because muh budget
>>
>>15096999
>Define super robot
generic monsters attack city and robot fights them
>>
>>15097006
>generic monsters attack city and robot fights them
>Getter Robo is real
>Macross is super
>>
>>15097023
How do generic dinosaur monsters make Getter real?
>>
File: R1264233472214.jpg (124KB, 560x479px) Image search: [Google]
R1264233472214.jpg
124KB, 560x479px
Juoh Maru from PLAWRES SANSHIRO...not a "giant" robot but surely a little "super-robot" that has a technology not too far off from what we have now.
>>
>>15097026
They don't attack cities
>>
>>15097029
but they do
>>
>>15097036
>Giant Robo is real robot
>Tetsujin is real robot
>Brygar is real robot
>Daitarn is real robot
>Xabungle is real robot
Also
>implying aliens aren't monsters
>>
Nominating Big O for most real super robot.
>>
I'll dodge the question

Turn-A and ZOE orbitial frames are probably the most powerful "real robots"

Mechander Robo and Earth Engine probably the weakest "super robots"
>>
>>15097029
Zakus attacked cities all the damn time.
>>
>>15096984
Most super real robot?

Dunbine, probably. Magic mecha that get stronger with their pilots and eventually start doing crazy shit, very real-type handling of the mecha, plus the arms race going on in the series.
>>
Medabots for both.
Dai Guard for both.
>>
File: 1474441228125.png (508KB, 853x467px) Image search: [Google]
1474441228125.png
508KB, 853x467px
>>15096999
Let's instead use this chart.
>>
>>15097302
>Magic mecha that get stronger with their pilots and eventually start doing crazy shit, very real-type handling of the mecha, plus the arms race going on in the series.
You just describe a number of UC Gundams.
>>
>>15097305
>Evan and Dunbine are somehow more "scientific" than Mazinger or Ideon
>>
>>15097302
What the fuck is about fantasy bug bots?
>>
>>15097309
>can't understand what tone and portrayal of your mecha is

>>15097312
Dunbine's about a medieval society being introduced to high-tech weapons of war such as airships and mecha, and the arms race that ensues as the old methods of war become outdated and are abandoned in favour of more modern methods, while churning out stronger and more advanced weapons all the time.

Plus the combat is handled more akin to your regular real-robot series, with more bug-mecha and swordfighting.
>>
>>15097309
See, this is what happens whenever anybody says Super and Real.

Everybody has their own highly specific interpretation of what the terms mean, either justifying them or deciding that they're stupid and shouldn't apply to anything, and everybody tears each others throats out trying to declare their version the correct one, and that's why yo should/shouldn't use the terms.

It's incredibly childish.
>>
>>15097309
>Tomo-chan reaction image
You are my brother of a different mother.

>>15096999
I know /m/ is allergic to terms "real" and "super robot" but they're not pointless. It helps if instead of autistically demanding strict definitions and saying everything has to be 100% one or the other, you realize it's a sliding scale.

The more pretense of realism and practicality a series has, the more "real" it is. Mass production is real-type, special attacks are super-type, and so on. But most series have both real and super type elements - if you go "Getter is a real robot because mass production", you're just a contrarian idiot.

As I said, sliding scale. If you look at something like VOTOMs or Dougram, you can clearly see it has more pretense of realism than something like Gurren Lagann or Gravion.
>>
>>15097318
>can't understand what tone and portrayal of your mecha is
Ah yes, literal god-machines powered by human soul that can reshape the world if their pilot gets upset enough is totally a much more scientific tone than "our laboratory created a big robot with a cutting edge alloy armor and the ability to shoot heat rays and missiles and stuff."

But hey, Evas have giant assault rifles and giant box cutters so that makes them scientific!
>>
>>15097318
>Dunbine's about a medieval society being introduced to high-tech weapons of war such as airships and mecha, and the arms race that ensues as the old methods of war become outdated and are abandoned in favour of more modern methods, while churning out stronger and more advanced weapons all the time.
So?

>Plus the combat is handled more akin to your regular real-robot series
What does this even imply?

>with more bug-mecha and swordfighting.
Goddamn this is ridiculous

>>15097322
>but they're not pointless. It helps if instead of autistically demanding strict definitions and saying everything has to be 100% one or the other, you realize it's a sliding scale.
No, all it ever does is have people like you make incredibly retarded and untrue generalizations about things they've never seen.

>The more pretense of realism and practicality a series has
>if you go "Getter is a real robot because mass production", you're just a contrarian idiot.
So you're full of shit and have never read Getter Robo? Because Getter Robo is as real robot as Gundam, easily. They both have mystical bullshit but treat the robots as mass produced machines in a war arms race. Hell, Getter Robo has more of an emphasis of actual military operations involving tanks and soldiers than Gundam "teenagers fighting skirmishes in space against the same rivals every week" does.

Fact is this: you THINK you know what's super and real, but your actual experience with the mecha genre is so painfully limited that you don't even realize how full of shit you truly are.
>>
>>15097333
>oh no, a point of view different than mine!
>clearly it comes from a retard who didn't watch any shows and just pretends he did

Life sure must be simple when you already rationalized that everyone who disagrees with you must be ignorant and wrong.

>So you're full of shit and have never read Getter Robo? Because Getter Robo is as real robot as Gundam, easily.
kek
>>
>>15097347
>let me just shitpost that'll solve everything and make me look legitimate
>>
>>15097351
I think you accidentally greentexted there mate, because you're the one shitposting.
>>
File: a0102250_16452513.jpg (236KB, 539x537px) Image search: [Google]
a0102250_16452513.jpg
236KB, 539x537px
All mecha discussed here is super robot. Pic related is real robot.
>>
File: MOEAGARE.jpg (194KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
MOEAGARE.jpg
194KB, 1500x1000px
>>15097362
Unrealistic as fuck, m8
This here is a true real robot
>>
>>15097347
>>15097357
Except he's right.

Not all Getter series are like that, but the Getter Robo Go manga has actual war skirmishes and no monster of the week like early UC Gundam.

It also deals with mission briefings with more actual levity. When Go starts causing trouble like a Gundam pilot, he's immediately put back in his place. Everyone knows their role and are all putting their lives on the line. (Like Hayato's girlfriend)

Early UC Gundam is rather childish in comparison. Things only got better with OVAs like 0080.
>>
File: 1470586718519.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470586718519.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
I'd say the only actual difference between Real and Super is that Real robot series tend to focus more on featuring a military setting or aesthetic.

Anime like Gundam are definitely a subgenre within giant robot mecha, but that means the term Super ends up referring to everything else. The problem is that most casual fans think Super robot refers to a very specific format like Real robot does, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Casual viewers, especially English speaking fans, tend to associate everything Super robot with Voltron and Gurren Lagann. These same people reject the idea that series like Evangelion and Gunbuster are actually Super robot series. They start calling everything a hybrid but insist the terms hold meaning when defining the stylistic boundaries of a series. Virtually, anything they enjoy becomes Real robot while the stuff they don't like the look of becomes Super robot.

Generally, these same people have very little experience with any mecha outside of a handful of Gundam, Gainax, other Tomino series, Takahashi, Patlabor and some more modern day series like FMP or Code Geass. They might play games like Armored Core and Zone of the Enders. But ultimately, they stay within a certain comfort zone and make grand judgments on everything else.

It's pretty troublesome.
>>
>>15097051
But Xabungle is a true real robot
>>
>>15097318
See, that's how you sell me a show.
>>
>>15097771
More like it's all newfags from TVtropes bringing with them that site's obsessive compulsion to put things in boxes despite not knowing the parameters of the boxes.

And you're dead wrong if you think that "real robot" means anything in specific as well.

>Military focused setting/aesthetic
Layzner and just about any Macross beyond Plus beg to differ. Hell, even if you think Gundam is a heavily military setting, you can't deny the parade colours.

>Adherence to realism
The only ones that even try are Dai Guard, VOTOMS, and apparently Patlabor (haven't watched any of it) and even they have to make allowances.

>Lots of politics
In Dougram and some parts of Gundam, maybe. Rare elsewhere.

>Combined arms
Also something rarely seen outside of Dougram, some parts of Gundam and whenever Macross remembers that Destroids exist.

>No bullshit power sources
What are Code Geass and Full Metal Panic for 500, Alex?
The assimilation phenomenon in Fafner also seems to qualify

And of course, there are so-called super robot shows that do things that real robots supposedly do and so called real robot shows that feel like the director was two steps away from unleashing his inner child and so on. Both terms are meaningless.
>>
>>15098788
>Layzner and just about any Macross beyond Plus beg to differ
Macross always has a military aesthetic. Layzner is super robot as hell.
>you can't deny the parade colours.
hurr durr the colors of the robot matter? fucking christ

>The only ones that even try are Dai Guard
Not in the slightest. Dai Guard is pure super robot.

>Lots of politics
I literally never mentioned politics. "Politics" have nothing to do with it.

>Combined arms
Another thing that has nothing to do with it.

>No bullshit power sources
Are you on drugs? I never mentioned this either.

What the fuck is your malfunction?

>Both terms are meaningless.
Largely, yes. But real robot series all share the same psuedo-military aesthetic.
>>
>>15098889
I was not referring exclusively to what you brought up but also to things which are commonly attributed as elements of a "real robot show," which, granted, typically are somewhat more specific than elements commonly attributed to "super robot shows"

However, there are points that you make that I can seriously contests, such as

>Macross always has a military aesthetic
I'll presume you never watched Macross 7. Delta also features some ridiculous and pompous looking aircraft. And any semblance of "military aesthetics" get blown to hell whenever there's a Macross battleship at play; those things look like a cross between a Transformer and a 40k Titan

>hurr durr the colors of the robot matter?
They do when you're talking about aesthetics, yes. Military vehicles look more like Scopedogs than Gundams, which is ironic because the military is only a secondary element of VOTOMS at best

>But real robot series all share the same psuedo-military aesthetic.
If that's the case you're trying to make, the number of series that fit this is either going to be extremely small or so large as to be meaningless. Going by aesthetics alone, if you include Gundam, then you may as well include every single brightly coloured rainbow samurai from the 70s because Gundams aren't a far cry from any of them.
>>
>>15098925
Say what you want, those capital ships are hot as hell.

... So was Mirage.
>>
>>15098925
>I'll presume you never watched Macross 7
I'll presume that you're the one who never did.

>They do when you're talking about aesthetics, yes.
Except the military has commonly used clown colors for prototypes. Try again. Also, having a military aesthetic doesn't get erased because of some colors, you twit.

>If that's the case you're trying to make, the number of series that fit this is either going to be extremely small or so large as to be meaningless.
No.
>>
File: serveimage.gif (65KB, 900x545px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.gif
65KB, 900x545px
>>15098948
>I'll presume that you're the one who never did.
Are you seriously suggesting that the military would ever attempt to make something that looked like pic related?

>Except the military has commonly used clown colors for prototypes
Even if this is true, it is irrelevant; prototypes are not representative of standard military hardware. You could make the case that the same applies to Gundams, however, the Gundams determine the aesthetic as they are what the series focuses on the most.

>Also, having a military aesthetic doesn't get erased because of some colors, you twit.
If that's the case, then you'll have to define what a military aesthetic means as pertains to a giant piloted robot, which you can't, because the military does not and has never used a giant piloted robot.
>>
>>15098971
Your only 'defense' is literally
>muh colors
Move on
>>
>>15099125
Because it's your only argument, faggot
Everything else is too vague

Either define what you're talking about or fuck off.
>>
>>15099187
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_science_fiction
>>
>>15099191
None of that says a thing about aesthetics, and if you're attempting to talk about setting details, refer to >>15098788
>>
>>15099205
Yeah, Gundam, Macross and Votoms don't have military aesthetics. Fuck yourself, retard. You're through. Go find someone else to shitpost.
>>
>>15099214
I never said that they universally don't have military aesthetics. Don't put words in my mouth, faggot.

Explain what the fuck you actually mean by "military aesthetics" in your own words and I might agree with you.
>>
File: ZZsaber1.jpg (36KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ZZsaber1.jpg
36KB, 800x600px
>>15099241
According to some of the stuff posted here, Gundam is a real.
>>
I've always viewed it as:

Real Robot: The mecha are viewed as a piece of military or law enforcement technology.

Super Robot: Mecha are largely unique similar to a superheroes powers.
>>
>>15100344
The problem is that most series combine these concepts. For example, Gundam is a piece of military hardware that's a unique superhero. It just doesn't fit.
>>
I dislike Real and Super outside of the games that originated the former term, and there only as a way to describe tanks and dodgetanks because otherwise Jeeg and friends are Reals and some Gundams and Gorg are Supers (And of course now someone is going to pop out of the woodworks and go "but they are you idiot" but the point is that most people consider them to be the other way around.)

>>15098788
>Also something rarely seen outside of Dougram, some parts of Gundam and whenever Macross remembers that Destroids exist.

King Gainer had some fun with combined arms, does that count?
>>
>>15100364
I would say the RX-78-2 is very much real by my terms but if you get to stuff like Wing, G, and 00 then they become Supers. It's about overall presentation. The original Gundam is not much different from what it shares its universe with, it's just a cutting edge piece of military technology, but in Wing and the like they are wholly unique and far above anything else.
>>
>>15100385
Except the RX-78-2 WAS above all else when it rolled out.
Just like Celestial Being's Gundams.
>>
>>15100385
>The original Gundam is not much different from what it shares its universe with, it's just a cutting edge piece of military technology, but in Wing and the like they are wholly unique and far above anything else.

That's simply not true. Wing is exactly the same type as what you described, despite the fact that Leo's blow up. Don't confuse power levels with how the narrative handles subjects. The suits in Wing are just cutting edge technology and are eventually matched by other special mobile suits based on their tech. The RX78 is the same deal is a super machine just like the Gundams in Wing.
>>
>>15100392
I like how you take one part of a statement and ignore the rest.

How's this:

Super Robot and Real Robot are overall meaningless terms and things are only ever categorized into them in a broad case by case basis.
>>
>>15100385
>>15100400
btw, Mazinger also fills this role. In Mazinger's story, the robot Mazinger uses the same tech as the Photon Power Institute robots but with various perfected technologies. Eventually, Mazinger even gets completely outclassed by a newer model.
>>
>>15097051
Xabungle is considered a real robot.
>>
>>15100519
But why
>>
>>15097362
THIS. Even Deep Sea Submersibles counts as Real Robots.
>>
Is 5SS real super or super real?
>>
>>15100524
Walker Machines are mass-produced, gasoline powered combination digger-fighting machines. This classification extends to the combat mecha as well as every other machine in Xabungle. They all use conventional weapons and are generally not very "special" by any measure.
They do not have powers or tricks, just guns and good jumping. Cartoon physics has no bearing on this.
>>
>>15097362
You're telling me we have real life Zoids? Sweet.
>>
>>15096984
ONCE UPON A TIME....
Marketing for Mobile Suit Gundam and other shows that followed it's model decided to play up the more realistic way that their shows handled giant robots when compared to previous shows. These new "real robot" mecha did not have personalities, did not pull weapons out of nowhere, and were carefully designed with accurate transformations so that toys could be made relatively on-model rather than the standard "unpossible" transformations common to the mecha genre.

Then this angle was imitated by pretty much everyone for a little while, with different shows clinging to one or two of the classic cliches in an effort to be different from one another. "Real Robot" shows reached back to their "super robot" roots and "super robot" shows waded into the "real robot" aesthetic and soon there was just "mecha" again because there were no distinguishable groups.

THEN someone made a game called SUPER ROBOT WARS that featured a choice between the more super-hero style and the more military-unit style and called them the REAL and SUPER path.

And that's pretty much it.
Outside of SRW, those two terms have NEVER meant anything difinitive. At best, they're subjective adjectives like "warm" and "cool" which mean totally different things to people from Alaska and Cuba. One show could be described as being "more real" or "more super" than another show, but in actuality every "real" show has super elements and every "super" show has real elements.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>15101184
>Walker Machines are mass-produced
True. But so is Getter Robo.
>gasoline powered
This doesn't add realism, it makes it more fantastical. They're also piloted with a steering wheel. Literally Boss Borot tier.
>They all use conventional weapons
Pic related.
>are generally not very "special" by any measure.
Too bad tons of real robots are special in many measures.
>They do not have powers or tricks, just guns and good jumping.
You could apply this to most robots. In fact, I would argue that Mazinger shooting lasers from its eyes or emitting intense heat from a chestplate is less fantastical than flying transforming car robots controlled with a steering wheel.
>>
>>15101184
>are generally not very "special" by any measure.
Except for that the protagonists have super special combat robots made with super tech and also own a giant transforming battleship that is only matched by an identical hax ship.
>>
>>15096999
Yelling.

If the MC yells while using his/her strongest weapon/attack more than 80% of the time, it's a Super. Otherwise it's a Real.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>15101436
>BEAM FUNNEL
>>
>>15101265
>Marketing for Mobile Suit Gundam and other shows that followed it's model decided to play up the more realistic way that their shows handled giant robots when compared to previous shows. These new "real robot" mecha did not have personalities, did not pull weapons out of nowhere, and were carefully designed with accurate transformations so that toys could be made relatively on-model rather than the standard "unpossible" transformations common to the mecha genre.

This has got to be bait or this poster is the biggest newfag on the board.
>>
>>15101436
this
>>
>>15101448
80%
>>
>>15101412
>gas/steering wheel
Excavators move with gas don't they? I'll still accept that one. Steering wheel applies to Combat Mecha only. All others, e.g. Promeus, Gallop, what have you all have a medley of levers, joysticks, etc.
>pic related
Falls under cartoon physics and is still a conventional weapon.

I don't get the "special in many measures" part

>>15101420
The Xabungles and Galliar aren't much different from any other combat mecha and are even outstripped by some, such as the Blockary, Doran, and Galabagos.

I swear there's even an interview where a guy says "Xabungle was a really good opportunity to play around with real robot designs". Man.
>>
>>15101265
This, more or less.
>>
Dai-guard is a bit of both.
>>
>>15101493
>this anime is totally real BECAUSE THE LOONY TUNES PHYSICS DON'T COUNT YOU CAN'T COUNT IT BECAUSE I SAID SO IT'S REAL REAL REAAAAAL STEERING WHEELS AND LOONY TUNES SLAPSTICK ARE REAL
>>
>>15096984
Mazinger
>>
>>15096984
Zambot
>>
>>15101436
So a large majority of /m/anga are Real then.
>>
>>15102050
Man, I was trying to make a legit argument. Dougram jumps like no tomorrow and has plot armor out the ass but it's still considered "real" even if the most damage it takes is a lost arm. In Gundam you get a guy shimmying down a Gouf's leg and various cartoon gags, even early on. You also get the G-armor and newtypedom, but it's still considered at least a proto-real robot anime. How do you control a robot with foot pedals and two joysticks, or in Dougram's case, what amounts to oars?

C'mon, think. If Xabungle weren't a comedy- just straight up Breakers fighting and going about their business, how would it not be a real robot anime? You can't look past the jokes?
>>
>>15107085
>C'mon, think. If Xabungle weren't a comedy- just straight up Breakers fighting and going about their business, how would it not be a real robot anime?
How would it not be a super robot anime? Xabungle isn't any more "real" than Mazinger Z.
>>
>>15107251
By this logic most real robot anime isn't "real".

Zeta uses Newtype souls. Various Gundam MS combins parts in midair or transform in -multiple- series. Dougram again has plot armor out the ass and HIGH JUMP.

It's about a bunch of guys in machines that are considered common and have little that actually distinguishes them from other robots in terms of uniqueness or power whilst using largely conventional weapons. You get exceptions in stuff like the Sendvead's Beam Snatcher, Galliar's boomerang, or the beam gun that the Iron Gear used once, but compare to VOTOMs or Dougram- A Scopedog in the first episode has an energy weapon and in Dougram Crab Gunners not only exist, but do their jobs well, not mentioning the X-Nebula and its negligible effects.

In fact, VOTOMs provides an excellent basis for Xabungle also being a real-robot deal. Both Scopedogs and Walker Machines have
>movement technology that cannot exist
>are mass produced or generally can exist in multiples
>use mostly conventional weapons
>are by and large piloted by and used in conflict between ordinary people
>are mostly made of conventional or generally "not-special" materials

Walker Machines (e.g. Dugger, Crab, Doran, anything) use jets or rotors that need to be maintained, replaced or stolen. Dougram just leaps whenever and Mazinger has the Scrander. Walker Machines use bullets and missiles to fight. Mazinger gets freezing beams, rocket fists -that return-, and DOHRILLU MISSAILE amongst more. Walker Machines are mass-produced and made of common materials. Scopedogs share this trait and are even more fragile. Mazinger Z needs Super Alloy Z, generally super-tough until it decays or is rarely damaged, and is the one model of its kind, which fights Mechanical Beasts, also one-offs, which are made by a mad scientist and his friends. Walker Machines are by and large managed by and fight between mercenaries- just dudes- and are maintained and kept comparably to Scopedogs or CAs.
>>
>>15107306
>By this logic most real robot anime isn't "real".
No, I'm asking you what's real about Xabungle compared to Mazinger Z since you're insisting Xabungle is some sort of real robot.

>It's about a bunch of guys in machines that are considered common
Robots are common in Mazinger, but they're just expensive and time consuming to make. For a real world example that's similar to this, at the height of WWII, the USA only had ~26. In Mazinger, the Photon Power Lab creates as many as they can over the course of the series.

>have little that actually distinguishes them from other robots in terms of uniqueness
The units used by the protags are robots that seem to be hyper advanced compared to the standard worker robot.

>largely conventional weapons
Like slapstick fists

>VOTOMs provides an excellent basis for Xabungle also being a real-robot deal
No, not at all.
>are mass produced or generally can exist in multiples
The robots used by the Xabungle characters are all special one of kind, except there are two Xabungles (woaahh there are two mazingers).

>are by and large piloted by and used in conflict between ordinary people
Kouji and everyone in Mazinger are normal people.

>are mostly made of conventional or generally "not-special" materials
Super alloy is just a strong alloy. There's nothing special about it. It's like Gundanium or whatever.

>Walker Machines (e.g. Dugger, Crab, Doran, anything) use jets or rotors that need to be maintained, replaced or stolen.
Are you implying Mazinger doesn't need maintenance or a dedicated crew to operate?

>Walker Machines use bullets and missiles to fight.
And cartoon physics, along with comically huge bombs. Mazinger uses internally stored weapon, but they aren't strictly fantastical. It does things like shoot missiles, lasers and propel its fist. Not exactly the same as, say, Gundam which uses psychic energy to control drones, make impervious energy shields and enlarge laser swords or push back asteroids.
>>
>>15107306
>By this logic most real robot anime isn't "real".

By Jove, I believe you've cracked the case!
>>
>>15107306
>>15107327
>and is the one model of its kind
Mazinger is not one of a kind in the slightest. Not only is it totally outclassed by Great Mazinger, Mazinger Z uses all of the same technology as the Photon Power lab robots but with more advanced materials that the Photon Power Lab is eventually able to reverse engineer.

>which are made by a mad scientist and his friends
Mazinger Z was made by the leading expert of photon energy and the other robots are made by the leading institute in Japan. Dr. Hell recovered mechanical beasts from the ruins of an alien culture.

>Walker Machines are by and large managed by and fight between mercenaries
That are made by some super advanced alien race who lives in domes who genetically engineered a new breed of human that they control. And oh, this super advanced alien race also uses diesel engines for their transforming car robots and controls them with steering wheels. Because that makes sense.
>>
File: 1479348510226.png (80KB, 228x228px) Image search: [Google]
1479348510226.png
80KB, 228x228px
>>15107329
>>
>>15106821
Prove it.
>>
File: vlkr.jpg (63KB, 350x343px) Image search: [Google]
vlkr.jpg
63KB, 350x343px
>>15107327
>what's real about Xabungle compared to Mazinger Z since you're insisting Xabungle is some sort of real robot.
I answered that question later on in the same post.

>Robots are common in Mazinger, but they're just expensive and time consuming to make.
So that's why there's only the three PSI robots to fight Hell's forces and not others, right? And why every single one of Dr. Hell's robots was different every time? You got occasional groups, like that bug type group using hypnotized scientists which entirely consisted of the same robot, but why not do something like build three Gelbros J3s or Jenova M9s?

>seem to be hyper advanced
Combat Mecha = Xabungle, Galliar. Note how the Galliar was actually being issued to Horla before Jiron stole it, and even then you get Dorans, Galabagoses, and Blockaries that outstrip it, plus the unused VLKSR, all of which had multiples.

>slapstick fists
Again with the slapstick thing.

>Not at all
How so?

>the robots used by the Xabungle characters are all special and one of a kind
There's only one L-Gaim but then you get loads of L-Gaims, and there's only one Mark II. This is besides how there's also multiple Iron Gears, and how Mazinger and Great Mazinger are not the same robot.
>>
Cont'd.

>It's like Gundamium or whatever
Lunda Titanium and Super Alloy Z are both armor materials largely superior to everything. The Xabungles and a Dugger or Promeus are not made of different materials. ATs are not made of different materials until you get to different models (e.g. Standing Turtle vs. Diving Beetle)

>doesn't need maintenance, crew, implying
No, Mazinger has the entire PSI at its hands, Koji, its trained operator, and has multiple episodes where it gets maintenance. However this is done using PSI-exclusive knowhow and materials. Breakers are common- you can find them all over Zola and similarly, mechanics to sell parts or repair WMs.

>Cartoon physics and comically huge bombs
You keep coming back to this without looking at Zola as a setting. I can see what you mean if you think about Xabungle as it is shown, but by and large it seems more like a setting where lots of people are doing things with WMs on the whole- they're common machines and common people.

Mazinger has far more fantastical weapons than anything like the Galliar lugging a nuke. It could use electic fingers, finger missiles (both one shot powers too), IRON CUTTA, Rust Hurricane, and I'm probably forgetting more too.

Mazinger is not a common machine, Koji is not a common person, and nor is the PSI. In Xabungle you get two Xabungles and a Galliar. Jiron isn't common either though, to be fair- he doesn't give up.

>>15107341
Innocent are literally human beings from Earth who live in domes because they can't handle the bacteria of Earth any more. Zola was once Earth. This is a major plotline.
>>
File: tumblr_mz6cgztgdA1r9l7xlo1_500.jpg (294KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz6cgztgdA1r9l7xlo1_500.jpg
294KB, 500x700px
>>15107341
I have not addressed this thoroughly so I will now.

>one of its kind
I think I addressed this one already.

>leading expert of photon technology, alien culture
The Mycenae aren't ayylmaos are they? I thought the Grendizer guys were different. I gotta catch up with that one. Juzo Kabuto is a single scientist and genius and similarly the PSI is the only one of its kind, and only group producing things like Mazinger. Innocent dudes produce lots of Walker Machines- there's only three protag mecha, but there's also three Iron Gear type ships, and you see two, the Greta Gary and Elchi's personal one, in production at once.

I addressed the Innocent part already as well. They are biologically weak humans. The Innocent produced not one, but three new breeds of man!

>makes sense
How do humans in space becoming newtypes make more sense than genetic engineering for a better future? A comedy is a comedy.

Xabungle is a show where people fight other people. They use the same machines, for the most part- even the Iron Gear had TRAD 11s and Gallops, and various ally characters (e.g. Tron Milan) used common machines- Capricoes, Ottriches, Leggs. It's a setting where men fight men and use the same pattern machines to do it. You point out the Xabungles and Galliar as if protag mecha being special makes a series less 'real'. Is Chirico in a Standing Turtle something that makes VOTOMs less real? He also piloted a Fatty and Rabidlydog as well as that syndicate-exclusive type AT IIRC.
>>
File: REAL ROBOT.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
REAL ROBOT.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
>>15107395
>>15107400
>>15107430
What the fuck is PSI
>So that's why there's only the three PSI robots
Except the Photon lab develops more robots as the story progresses. In Mazinger, robots are treated the same as real life battleships or similar: they are expensive and time consuming to make. It's actually a more realistic angle than having countless giant robots.
>but why not do something like build three Gelbros J3s or Jenova M9s?
Dr. Hell cannot build robots.
>Breakers are common- you can find them all over Zola and similarly, mechanics to sell parts or repair WMs.
And how is this inherently more realistic than requiring actual specialists? It isn't.
>they're common machines
The common machines in Xabungle are intensely different form the machines that the protags use. It's like construction vehicles vs sonic jets.
>Mazinger has far more fantastical weapons than anything like the Galliar lugging a nuke.
Not in the slightest. Pic related.
>Mazinger is not a common machine
Neither are the machines that the Xabungle protags use.
>Koji is not a common person
Actually, he is. That's the entire point of his character.
>Innocent are literally blah blah
So what? The technology is still nonsensical. Diesel engine robots operated with a steering wheel that can fly and transform into cars.
>How do humans in space becoming newtypes make more sense than genetic engineering for a better future?
Are you retarded? You omitted the sentence that came right before me calling it nonsensical, don't omit things for your own convenience.
>Xabungle is a show where people fight other people
You mean genetically modified human-like creatures.
>They use the same machines
Except for all the special robots the protagonists have.
>Is Chirico in a Standing Turtle something that makes VOTOMs less real? He also piloted a Fatty and Rabidlydog as well as that syndicate-exclusive type AT IIRC.
Those are all just variant ATs. The Xabungle machines are special robots that are super advanced.
>>
Btw, Xabungle is decidedly not real robot. Here's a quote
>『ダイオージャ』の後番組がリアル路線ではメインターゲットである低年齢視聴者
>本作はリアルさにおいて『ガンダム』と『ダイオージャ』の中間的な作風となった
This says that Xabungle was deliberately made with some Gundam-like elements (everyone has a robot) but is ultimately done in the style of Daiojya and its main target was children.

Xabungle isn't real robot. End of discussion.
>>
>>15107453
>PSI
Fuck I meant PLI. It's five over here, dammit.

>more realistic angle
Cars are the comparison machine for Walker Machines, not battleships. Aprodite A and Diana A are never built to Mazinger's strength, nor is Borot, and though this is excusable due to the PLI's status, it still marks them out.

>cannot build robots
In Toeizinger, which I have been using as reference, Dr. Hell can and does build multiple robots from scratch. Triple L5 is an example, explicitly stated to be an old robot of his design, same with Blaster A7 and others, and more have scenes showing their explicit building by Hell's men.

>inherently more realistic
How is it less realistic to have common technology be commonly understood or repaired and used? Isn't that one of the tenets of real robot?

>construction vs jets
Blockary, Galabagos, and Doran beg to differ. Again, -combat mecha-.

>pic related
You have ignored my examples and pull up slapstick again. C'mon, no Sazan Cross Knife? Rust Hurricane?

>Koji is a common dude
I'll accept it.

>Tech nonsensical
What technology in Dougram makes more inherent sense than Xabungle? High jump with nothing against booster jets on everything? And again with controls.

>omittance
Where? I addressed
>That are made by some super advanced alien race who lives in domes who genetically engineered a new breed of human that they control.
Biologically weak humans create offshoot humans via genetics to repopulate earth vs. madman asks ancient empire for help when he gets mad at his giant robot craftsmanship. There are two scenes in Mazinger of him smashing his own Mechanical beasts. Photon power vs. gas I think is pretty even, though.
>>
>>15107400
>Koji is not a common person
Bullshit. In the opening lines in Shin, Kouji states he's a normal teenager.
>>
>the technology is still nonsensical
This applies to all mecha. Scopedogs can bend their legs to land and absorb shocks, for example. It is an in-built feature of them as ATs.

>humanlike creatures
I don't get what this detracts from. Mercenaries fight each other with gas robots versus one group of guys sending their specific, highly tuned atomic-powered automatons to fight other guys' piloted robot that runs on photon energy and his jobber buddies.

>protagonists' robots/specialty
Is L-Gaim not a real robot because the L-Gaim Mk. II is in it? It's actually the original Auge that'd do this IMO
Honestly I also feel this is highly debatable- we don't see it, but knowing Iron Gears are mass produced, is this not easily extended to the Xabungles and Galliar?

>>15107459
I don't get this one either. Aren't most mecha for children?

Look at it this way. If you played VOTOMs as a comedy- ATs slipping on banana peels, Chirico bonking people on the head, Scopedogs belching smoke if you stuff a grenade inside- would it still be real robot?
If you did Xabungle without slapstick, would it still be super? This means no boomerangs, no nuke catching, no surfboards.
>>
>>15107491
The fuck is PLI
Use your words

>Cars are the comparison machine for Walker Machines, not battleships
That has literally nothing to do with what I was saying. Just stop.
>In Toeizinger, which I have been using as reference
I don't care what you were using for a reference. Adaptions do not supersede original material.
>How is it less realistic to have common technology be commonly understood or repaired and used?
It's less realistic for a giant war machine to be as easy to make and repair as a common car than it is to have it be an expensive and man-intensive engineering project like a warplane or battleship. Casually working on 20m robots is unrealistic in comparison.
>You have ignored my examples
No, I've shown a counter point to your examples that exist within the same universe.
>What technology in Dougram
I've never talked about Dougram.
>And again with controls.
You can't keep ignoring everything that goes against your narrative.
>Where?
Are you illiterate, blind or both? I said
>this super advanced alien race also uses diesel engines for their transforming car robots and controls them with steering wheels. Because that makes sense.

Xabungle isn't real robot. See >>15107459
You continue sperging, but you'll always be wrong.
>>
>>15107498
>Scopedogs can bend their legs to land and absorb shocks
Oh my god. That's like... Oh, I dunno. Shocks????

>I don't get this one either. Aren't most mecha for children?
Are you fucking retarded? Did you miss the rest of the post? Stop focusing on one sentence and ignoring everything else for your own convenience. It's already confirmed by the staff of Xabungle that it isn't, and was never, a real robot series. Give it up.
>>
>>15107493
I've watched Toeizinger, all ~92 episodes, but not Shin. I accept this judgement anyway. Like, in the original he does stuff like whip Iron Masks with a chain from his bike and so on, and does stuff like an air pirouette with Sayaka during an episode where he's initially too injured to pilot Mazinger. I guess this is a bad call of mine, anyway.

I suppose I should admit I am wrong about all of this. It's 6 AM now. The way I see it, Xabungle is a setting that can easily be serious that's played for laughs. I guess saying I can't see the forest for the trees is an understatement, yeah? I'm sorry to have bothered you with all of this.
>>
File: TM33153lg.jpg (48KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
TM33153lg.jpg
48KB, 666x500px
>>15107500
PLI = Photon Light Institute

>nothing to do with your point
My point is that the technology levels are different. Walker Machines are intended to resemble cars in most means- they are widely used and understood in their setting.
>Adaptions do not supersede original material.
Doesn't this make things much harder to discuss if we can't talk about things that constitute certain media? In the manga, the mechanical beasts are scavenged, in the anime, many are built from scratch.
>Casually working on 20m robots is unrealistic in comparison.
This is why I brought up the car point. Walker Machines, with the exception of the combat mecha, are not solely meant for combat. They are meant to be excavation and fighting machines, not just war vehicles- again, more comparable to a car at their tech level than a specifically-built war machine.
>Counter point
But I've been saying this whole time that slapstick does not make a setting. A better counterpoint would be something like Galliar's boomerang- something used multiple times and which makes no sense, rather than what amounts to a written joke.
>Dougram
I mentioned this as a comparsion of technology. "How is a machine that jumps by jet less realistic than one which jumps with nothing?"
>Ignoring
I'm not- I've been trying to say that I don't think this really does a lot for a comedy series in the first place. It's an element of slapstick IMO, not something big in the setting or significant in this sense.

>because that makes sense
They're human beings using existing technology, with exceptions of transformation, brought to mecha powerlevels. I'd take "blind" as a judgement.

>>15107502
Have you seen how Scopedogs actually land from high falls? They aren't exactly using their knees. When I say "shocks" I mean as in shocks from impacts like landing. I did not think this would be missed. You see this in use in the last half of the Uoodoo arc.

>retarded
Yeah sure. I guess I'm wrong.
>>
>>15107459
>its main target was children.
I hope you're not implying that real is for mature adults and super is for kids, because that's stupid.

Shows like Shin Mazinger were late night anime, and targeted a much older demographic than your average Gundam viewer with Build Fighters and AGE.

Super and real are terms that producers used to describe their shit, and beause it sounds cool. They're terms that they use to market their anime and toys. There's nothing more to it. There's no conscientious effort to make one kind or the other.
>>
>>15107533
I am going to quote this guy because he's not me and he's raising a point I tried and failed to.
>>
>>15107522
>PLI = Photon Light Institute
I don't know where you got that from, but that's not what the facility is called.

>My point
But who cares about your point concerning my statement?
>Have you seen how Scopedogs actually land from high falls?
Yes, they use their legs as shocks by absorbing the impact and springing back. Have YOU seen how Scopedogs land?

>Yeah sure
I'm glad you finally realized. And again, Xabungle is stated to not be real robot by its own creators. Fuck off forever. You've completely ruined this topic with your absolutely autismal and poorly thought out xabungle bullshit.
>>
>>15107554
It's called the Photon Light Institute in the cartoon all the time.

If you're going to ignore points I make it's impossible for me to discuss anything in the first place. I've been saying this whole time that Walker Machines, at their tech level and setting, are real robot stuff. However it seems you're completely unwilling to even consider this because Xabungle does not take itself seriously, something I also tried to address. That's fine.

I was explaining how Scopedogs land in my earlier post and was even earlier using this as an example of technology and how it's weird in mecha settings, all the time, regardless of "realness". Same principle for why I brought up other series.

Look, dude, I still think Xabungle is real robot, but I have no problem admitting I'm a retard. For me there's a train of logic I've tried to explain (poorly it seems) and I guess it just doesn't work out here.
You have no idea how long I've thought on this. My conclusion was that, in the end, a setting is a setting regardless of the protagonists. Look at 40k- grim and silly as shit. Same with Xabungle. With no slapstick, it seems to me it's a pretty solidly real robot setting. However, if that doesn't work, it doesn't work.
>>
>>15107575
>It's called the Photon Light Institute in the cartoon all the time.
I don't know about that, but its name is 光子力研究所 which means Photon Power/Energy Research Institute/Laboratory.

>I've been saying this whole time that Walker Machines, at their tech level and setting, are real robot stuff.
and I've pointed out how that's bullshit. You deliberately ignore parts of my posts and apply unrelated quotes to each other to twist things around, like I pointed out in >>15107500

>I was explaining how Scopedogs land
You were also completely clueless about how it worked.

>Look, dude, I still think Xabungle is real robot
The creators told you that you're wrong.

>You have no idea how long I've thought on this.
Are you stupid or just egotistical?

>With no slapstick, it seems to me it's a pretty solidly real robot setting.
It's more or as similarly fantastical as most super robot series. The thing is, you basically have zero knowledge of the mecha genre as you have proven time and time again with your knowledge of Mazinger and how every example you use is based on a Tomino anime or Votoms. You're a basic real robot fag who doesn't know jackshit about what you're make sweeping judgments about.
>>
>>15107584

In the subs I watched it was referred to as the Photon Light Institute.

It's fuckin' seven AM and I've been awake since three yesterday whilst wrangling walls of text. I'm sorry if I messed up quoting you, but I never meant to, if anything, and I always thought I was addressing you.

I watched the series and explained it twice. You're the one who wrote "shocks???". I'm sorry again if that didn't work out but shit, man.

I also still don't quite think that's what's being mentioned, and I remember reading differently elsewhere, like I mentioned a million posts ago, but fine.

I'll take stupid, but I'm telling the truth. I've thought on this, and this is how I've thought. Not too hard, IMO.

Dude, I've been mentioning Mechanical Beasts and weapons like the electric fingers over and over for this explicit purpose. I've read the manga and watched the series. If anything I'd think you're at fault- but I'll accept my part because I never mentioned I was using toeizinger as reference, where Dr. Hell explicitly builds mechanical beasts alongside multiple other guys including the Mycenae (e.g. Archduke Gorgon). I've been using Tomino and VOTOMs and tried to use Dougram and L-Gaim. I could have brought up still like Gorg or Voltes V, other series I've watched, as well, but I chose not to because I didn't think they'd work out as well for examples- Gorg and Voltes are super, rather than real, yes?

I guess if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I'm going to bed.
>>
>>15107597
>I guess if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I'm going to bed.
Good. Don't come back.
>>
>>15096984
Tetsujin
>>
File: vol1_cr.png (149KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
vol1_cr.png
149KB, 720x540px
>>15107584
>I don't know about that, but its name is 光子力研究所 which means Photon Power/Energy Research Institute/Laboratory.

Not the anon you were arguing with but Photon Light Institute is the name used in the Discotek release which used a translated script provided by Toei.
>>
>>15111424
What a bad translation.
>>
>>15097305
Wait, where is this from? And from what year? Because I'm really surprised that Japan remembers VOTOMS, Ideon, and Dunbine.

I wonder what mecha could be defined as Whimsical and Scientific? GaoGaiGar on some level? Maybe the Aestevalis from Nadesico?
>>
>>15096988
Fist post best post.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.