[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I watched Gunbuster and Diebuster. I enjoyed Gunbuster a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: 3937449.png (911KB, 956x720px) Image search: [Google]
3937449.png
911KB, 956x720px
So, I watched Gunbuster and Diebuster.

I enjoyed Gunbuster a lot, good characters, artstyle and emotional moments, it made me cry like a bitch.

Diebuster was terrible though, I won't even regard it as a sequel, since it has almost nothing to do with the original, and it doesn't even make sense as a sequel.

So, 12.000 years later and mankind's technology barely evolved, they only got stronger/smaller mecha and colonies in other planets, and the monsters are still coming anyways? They really tried to take away all the importance of Gunbuster's ending huh?

So, what do you guys think?
>>
>>15094820
Can't say I agree. Was Diebuster as good as Gunbuster? Probably not. But it was still goddamn good, and it sure as hell didn't "try to take away the importance of Gunbuster's ending." If anything, it made that ending hit harder.
>>
>>15094820
Both are good but Diebuster was better than Gunbuster.

>So, 12.000 years later and mankind's technology barely evolved, they only got stronger/smaller mecha and colonies in other planets, and the monsters are still coming anyways? They really tried to take away all the importance of Gunbuster's ending huh?

Try paying attention the next time.
>>
>>15094820
>So, 12.000 years later and mankind's technology barely evolved, they only got stronger/smaller mecha and colonies in other planets, and the monsters are still coming anyways? They really tried to take away all the importance of Gunbuster's ending huh?
So you didn't watch either show then?
>>
>>15094846
>>15094850

Do tell what I'm missing, instead of just disregarding the entire thing, I can't say I remember a whole lot about Diebuster, even though I watched it yesterday, it didn't catch my attention, so I drifted off at times.
>>
>>15094853
For starters there's the thing where the "space monsters" turn out to be a defensive measure built by humans thousands of years ago, and now they try to keep humans trapped on Earth because humans are slowly evolving into new space monsters.

This isn't some kind of obscure shit you have to realize from subtext, this is explicitly told to you by the show itself.

So yes, you didn't pay attention and now you're acting like a show doesn't make sense because you couldn't give two shits about watching it properly.
>>
>>15094862

Oh, yeah I actually remember that.

Though it doesn't really fit the theme of Gunbuster at all, since the whole idea behind the final confrontation was "After this, no one else will need to come out here fight them and suffer seeing everyone they know age and die", it just seems like a contrived attempt to explain why they are there again.

Also, that sounds pretty familiar, too.
>>
I thought one of the themes of Diebuster was that rather than fulfil it's destiny to colonise and explore the galaxy as they very easily coiuld have done after the Space Monsters were destroyed, they had essentially betrayed the chance Noriko et al had given them. Rather than go out they submitted to their own fear and locked themselves away in the Solar System, becoming so insular they forgot their legacy of exploration and actively fighting against the machines that could have helped them spread through the universe.

It's been a while since I watched it though, I could be talking through my ass.
>>
>>15094820
>it made me cry like a bitch
...Why?
>>
>>15094895

Dude, Episode 6 is some heavy stuff.
>>
>>15094895

It had many emotional moments that actually hit, especially the ending.
>>
>>15094880
That's pretty much correct. And after shutting themselves away on their handful of planets, they slowly became more and more like the very things they fought.
>>
>>15094880
>>15095906
I recall the manga that was supposed to be between Gunbuster and Diebuster have humanity fight the Great Attractor, get their shit kicked in, and then decide to hole up in the Solar System.
>>
>>15094820
sleep tight snoriko-snempai
>>
>>15094820
I thought Diebuster wasn't bad. It was meh. But compared to Gunbuster it's fucking garbage. A weak sequel. I hope the same doesn't happen to FLCL.
>>
>>15098539
Didn't they also announce a third Aim for the Top?
>>
>>15094820
Gunbuster has a weak first 3-4 episodes where Noriko is a wish washy whiny crybaby. Its only in the last 2 episodes does Gunbster get really good.

Diebuster starts off well and generally stay at the same level, it doesn't reach the greatness of the end of Gunbuster but neither does it get as bad as the first few eps of Gunbuster.
>>
>>15094820
I think that a lot of people who aren't Japanese hate Diebuster because it takes into account a Gunbuster sequel that basically never left Japan and is the reason why human society was so shit. (It was an actual shitty manga though according to everyone I know who's read it and got cancelled before it could properly conclude so who knows.)

I think they also totally miss literally the entire point of Diebuster, and somehow forget the fact that Gunbuster's quality is Aquarion tier all over the place.

I'm not a great, amazing, wonderful fan of either. They were ok, but nothing particularly amazing.

I still rewatch the Episode 5 fight from Gunbuster and the final fight from Diebuster a lot though.
>>
The funny thing is, I honestly prefer Diebuster over Gunbuster.
I just think the former has a better watching experience.
>>
>>15094862
That sounds like a really bad asspull twist. Kojima tier.

As expected of the master, Anno, after all.
>>
>>15100359
It was established well before Diebuster that the reason the Space Monsters attacked humanity is because we were an aberration. Most beings reach a certain point in evolution that allows them to work in space naturally before leaving their home planet, but mankind did it before that with technology.

Diebuster happens to include mankind evolving towards that step. Not that out there, really.
>>
File: 1482412296466.gif (203KB, 248x225px) Image search: [Google]
1482412296466.gif
203KB, 248x225px
>it's a "Diebuster doesn't have enough 'memberberries to be good" thread
>>
>>15100217
I remember reading the same thing.
>>
>>15100576
I hope it won't suck.
>>
Honestly what hurts Diebuster in a lot of ways is that it essentially threw away that slight grounding in reality that Gunbuster had. Now don't get me wrong, the original had it's fair share of wacky stuff, but the setting and technology felt like they came from more understandable places which made the plot very easy to get invested in.
>>
>>15102339
If tech wasn't super wacky twelve THOUSAND years after what was probably one of the most powerful /m/ settings in history, I'd call bullshit.
>>
>>15094839
and
>>15094846
>Try paying attention the next time.
Yeah.
>>
>>15094820

Okay OP, now listen to me very close. There's a little parasite in a human brain that makes people do this strange thing: if there are several albums of one band, several movies belonging to one franchise etc, it makes you think that the first album you've listened to (movie seen etc) is actually the best and the rest is automatically worse. If you've been watching Diebuster and Gunbuster, you'd be here bitching about how glorious Diebuster is (and how dull and pointless Gunbuster is even). This is really kinda sad, but the only way to fry this parasite is via drugs and Discordianism.
>>
>>15103379

That's a dodge and you know it.
>>
>>15094839
>Diebuster as good as Gunbuster
Yes
>>
>>15103514

nope dodge is a meme and my post is a simple truth.
>>
File: Cross-Over.full.419241.jpg (628KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Cross-Over.full.419241.jpg
628KB, 1920x1080px
>>15100387
Diebuster is 10/10
>>
>>15100387
>Its another "anon forgets most /m/fags just watched this all these old shows only a couple years ago max" post
The "Nostalgiafag argument" does not apply here, buddy
>>
>>15107294
Nono a cute.
>>
>>15094820
Both were shit imo
>>
>>15094820
At least Nono wasn't an annoying little shit like Noriko.
>>
>>15107669

Now why would you lie like that in a thread where people have actually watched both series?
>>
File: nononono.jpg (122KB, 805x400px) Image search: [Google]
nononono.jpg
122KB, 805x400px
>its another typical /m/ taste episode

I unironically enjoy Diebuster

>that awakening episode
>>
File: DoublesZeta.jpg (181KB, 499x498px) Image search: [Google]
DoublesZeta.jpg
181KB, 499x498px
>>15094820
>>15094853
I personaly didn't care for the "over the top" stylization of Diebuster, but I do like it's story setting.

>Mankind is triumphant thanks to Gunbuster's final stand out in deep space.

>Mankind creates an outerspace protection grid to guard itself from further Space Monster attacks. Over time, humanity forgets of this protection grid's existence.

>Over time, humanity evolves to gain psychic/telekinetic capabilities that allow them to truly advance the human race

>man-made protection grid activates, detecting the evolution of humanity as a "Space Monster" threat.

>Diebuster

It's actually an elegant progression of the story and setting-- just didn't care for the style. I'd have preferred Diebuster to be more "real" style like Gunbuster and Evangelion rather than over-the-top like Gurren Lagann.
>>
File: 01308.png (19KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
01308.png
19KB, 160x160px
Whats the purpose of >this character
>>
>>15103379
But anon, GONG isn't nearly as good a JAM Project song as Rocks, Hagane no Resistance or Shining Storm, Starforce 3 is the best Starforce game by miles, and Kamen Rider Kabuto is absolute trash with pretty suits and nothing else.

Maybe sequels would get better approval ratings if sequels didn't tend to be shit.
>>
>>15108086
Not every franchise can be a Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru, so it's hard to catch that lightning in a bottle repeatedly.
>>
>>15094820
The robots in diebuster don't have those magical generators that the robots in gunbuster have. The first "space monsters" in diebuster also don't have these generators, hence the even match. The technology was sealed away those thousands of years ago to for reasons forgotten, which is why they try to exploit the sleeping space monster gravity well, because it has a magical generator in it. That's why in the end all the robots are useless except for the main one, which has a magic generator hidden in it, though theres some weird callbacks to the previous season in there.
>>
>>15108064
Something something, never growing up.
>>
>>15102351
Diebuster was too fantasy with magic and bullshit
>>
>>15108783
>The first "space monsters" in diebuster also don't have these generators
The Buster Legion had Degeneracy Generators; that's where Dix-Neuf got one in the last episode. It pulled one out of a mass-produced Buster Machine.
>>
>>15109322
Eh, details. My point is is that the janky power curve between the two series is explainable.
>>
>>15108783
>for reasons forgotten

The events of The Next Generation.

>>15108826
If you showed fucking anything considered commonplace nowadays to beings alive 12000 years ago, they'd think it was fantasy and magic and bullshit too.
>>
I think I liked Diebuster more if only because the pacing was better. Gun's highs where overall higher but those first three episodes of Noriko crying where fucking hell.
>>
>>15094820
Diebuster > Gunbuster
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.