[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Find a flaw. I think it depicts war better than any mecha I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (66KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 355x500px
Find a flaw. I think it depicts war better than any mecha I have seen. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1480844292205.jpg (43KB, 557x385px) Image search: [Google]
1480844292205.jpg
43KB, 557x385px
I've never seen or heard of it, therefore I can't prove you wrong.
>>
>>15077563
You should watch it. It's better than a large part of UC.
>>
>>15077626
You mean all of UC?
>>
>>15077448
Planes are mechs anyway.
Hence you are proven wrong already.
>>
>>15077448
I think it's a pile of horseshit.
>>
>>15077802
Your taste are garbage.
If you want to be a pleb go to /a.
>>
>>15077448

It was really good, but Dougram does just as good of a job. Worse in that TFOTS has plot armor, but better in it's bringing in the greater political dimensions of the war.

Really solid OVA though. One of the best.
>>
File: 1230854783546.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1230854783546.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>15077448
1 of the best english dubs ive ever heard and dogfight scenes are really well done

dat opening dogfight scene in act 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTAeJX7qSXw
>>
>>15077697
Nah, just the non-canon parts.
>>
>>15077448
the flaw is the manga isn't translated
>>
OK, I'LL BITE:

Act 3 is largely anime original and has the most poorly timed cliffhanger ending.

It doesn't even feel like a natural open end, it's so climactic that you feel like something else is going to happen, or there's going to be another episode, but no it just abruptly ends. Sure you can infer what happens next, and it isn't pretty, but there's just no real sensation of closure. You can argue that makes it better as a war story, but I'll say it makes it worse as a story in general.

And I say this being a massive Area 88 fan.

I could also give the OVA some crap for being more a broad strokes adaptation than an accurate one; to its credit they used good material, but the OVA barely touches the over the top Ace Combat level of crazy that the source manga indulges in from time to time in between the soap opera drama that is Shin's life story. But instead I'm going to finger Act 3 for it moreso than the rest because fuck that ending.

It's on a level of its own when it comes to how "fuck you, audience!" it feels.
>>
>>15078943
For someone who has never watched or read Area 88, would you recommend the OVA, or the newer TV series?
>>
>>15077448
It was fucking bomb. But I'd be down for a version with robots.
>>
>>15078953
Both.
They don't really replace one or the other in my opinion. There's some redundancy in content, sure, but I feel they complement one another rather than compete for attention.

The biggest hurdle you'll probably face is that the TV series goes with early 00's CGI, which tends to peeve people off when they're coming off of the traditionally animated OVA. I thought it improved well enough over time, and would've liked to have seen a second season of it at the proficiency level the staff attained by the end of the series (in an ideal world it'd have curved out like Initial D did, getting better with each installment), but it's nothing truly breathtaking like the Yukikaze OVA, and the early episodes are rather rough around the edges in the CGI department.
>>
>>15078971
Also the OVA has this weird quirk where the most immediately available version, whether you buy it legit or torrent it, is one where the first two volumes have been fused into a theatrical length compilation, so as to pair off with the theatrical-length-from-the-start third volume.

I was never one to be fixated on the differences, but there's apparently some loss of content between Acts 1 and 2 to allow for the compilation fusion. I never really felt like there was something missing, but some people get bothered by it when they find out there's content missing.

So if you ever wondered why there's only two episodes for a 3-part OVA, that's why: 1 and 2 are combined.
>>
>>15077448
Considering we don't know what mecha series you've watched, it's literally impossible to prove you wrong.
>>
File: 1366687591337.jpg (75KB, 320x456px) Image search: [Google]
1366687591337.jpg
75KB, 320x456px
>>
>>15078936
This.
>>
>>15077448
>I think it depicts war better than any mecha I have seen
The emotions, maybe, but the combat is arcade-y as fuck. They do shit like flying through steel beam death traps and canyons, and dogfight at absurdly close range.
>>
>>15079067
(not op) I've seen a good amount of UC and this tops my list in the War Drama department, second only to LOTGH
>>
>>15078943
I don't get why everyone shits on the ending. I think it gives great closure. You pretty much know exactly what will happen, seeing as how all of the Area 88 pilots were getting slaughtered. Shin might be a top-notch killer, but it doesn't make him invincible. The OVA has no plot armor, and going into a battle like that would basically be suicide. I would argue that the ending is obvious, and there's no need to show Shin's death. And if by some miracle he did make it out alive, he probably wouldn't go back to Japan.
>>
>>15078910
probably because lip syncing is minimal
>>
>>15077448
20mm cannons penetrating T-55's armor.
>>
>>15082374
It's the tempo of the ending, if that makes sense. It just feels like something more is in store, at minimum some kind of epilogue. Narrative threads are tied up, but it feels unsatisfying in places, particularly in how hard Ryoko gets fucked over by character dorama.

I'm not even sure if Kanzaki getting in legal trouble is the downfall best fitting for him, considering how divorced it is from his beef with Shin.

Though considering the tone the OVA goes for, I don't think that the manga ending, had it been available during production, would have been fitting. And it's a hell of an ending, too, with the air jousting and Shin losing his memories of his time as a mercenary, giving him a chance at a normal life at the cost of the friends and surrogate family lost along the way.
>>
>>15084038
I see nothing in error with that.
>hit it from the top with anything higher than 14.7
>it goes up in flames
T-55 is shit.
>>
>>15078910
I thought Shin's voice actor was weak even when ignoring that his Jap voice is fucking Oberstine but everyone else was great
>>
>>15084396
I actually like Patton's Shin over Shiozawa's, but that's a factor of preferring the OVA in English. International team of mercenaries, and English being a standardized tongue for aviation, put 2 and 2 together and that's my logic, I guess?

But Koyasu is better in the TV than Patton. I'm of the mind the TV series works out better in moonspeak, even though the cast is even more international than in the OVA. Probably because of how liberally the dub has characters yelling FOX 2 for every sidewinder fired because someone felt the dub script needed Fox codes added to the combat dialog.
>>
File: area-88-600.jpg (59KB, 600x440px) Image search: [Google]
area-88-600.jpg
59KB, 600x440px
>>15077448
He's a autistic
>>
>>15087129
What the fuck are trying to say?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.