/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people call this show "bad"? Its only crime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: Captain-Earth.jpg (346KB, 710x400px) Image search: [Google]
Captain-Earth.jpg
346KB, 710x400px
Why do people call this show "bad"? Its only crime is that it has way more episodes than it needs and spends a lot of time on what is essentially "monster of the week" stuff that goes nowhere, but plenty of shows do that and are beloved - for example, GaoGaiGar.

Something like Freezing or Aldnoah Zero is bad. Captain Earth? The worst you can say is that it's merely "okay." And that's hardly something to complain about.
>>
>>15074682
The show sets up a lot, but then falls short as a poor man's version of Star Driver. Which coincidentally also fell short of expectations.
>>
>>15074682
It's really just "pacing issues, and hanging plot threads" the series.

It still had stellar production value though, and the characters may have been leaning a bit on the bland side, but I found enough of them likable.

You could probably edit a compilation movie with the footage and it would boost it up to "great/good" rating IMO
>>
The crime is that it DOESN'T have enough MoTW stuff. Those were the best episodes, everything else was just dull barring some of the first and the last episodes. If I remember correctly that is.

I also remember disliking both female leads (Akari especially).

The second ED for the show perfectly sums up what's wrong with it for me. In which we see some cool mecha action, and then it transitions to some dumb kids having squirtgun fights and shit. The point in that sequence where the mecha stuff stops also has the song go to shit, kind of like the show losing most of its steam after a strong opening episode.
>>
Most of the fights with Earth Engine Impacter were sadly pretty lame, the smaller robot fights were way cooler.
Flare Engine was completely wasted.
Plot didn't really go anywhere until the last two episodes.
>>
>>15074720
If anything, I think the show didn't have enough "slice of life" segments. It spent too much time on battles that didn't really accomplish much to move the plot forward, which left the main cast feeling underdeveloped. Which is a shame because I personally thought Akari was amazing (I found the "magical girl hacker" angle unique and appealing) but she felt underutilized. That part where she hacked all the nukes was great, for example, but there wasn't enough like that.
>>
>>15074682
I tried to watch it, I was dropping it by episode 4. But I stuck with it and downloaded it every week, and I tried to marathon it to catch up at a certain point. I fell asleep on episode 10.

It is so bad.
>>
>>15074769
It's funny you'd mention that part in particular, as I really hated that moment. It's pretty rare to see someone have an almost totally polar opposite viewpoint on something.
>>
>>15074720
>disliking Akari
She damn well made the show.
>>
Im watching it currently and am at episode 8

It feels like nothing much is happening
Brown is delicious though
>>
>>15074682

Its problem is that, for all its setup, it completely whiffs on the ending. The presumed plot of the series that is expanded upon for 22 episodes gets abruptly and lamely swept under the rug in the most bullshit way possible, and the 'true' final conflict comes out of nowhere.

Which is weird as hell, because its was obvious from the first few episodes that Puck was the true big bad, and yet they still didn't give his final plan any setup. He is just sort of magically THERE and all powerful and no one seems to be able to explain how or why.

Which is a sin that could have been fixed in many ways by just giving Pucks plan more on-screen development so it felt like less of an ass pull. But the show completely wastes like 4-5 episodes on Salty Dog bullshit loooooooong after they stopped being even remotely relevant, to the point of them overshadowing the actual bad guys.

Captain Earth's big sin is that its a 6/10 show with a 2/10 ending that could have, with basic understanding of plot structure and a little editing, easily been a solid 9/10 show and hailed as one of the best mecha shows of recent memory.

But they fucked it up because they didn't give enough of a shit to do it right.
>>
>>15074682
>GaoGaiGar
>beloved
It used to be, until a bunch of other shit got subbed and people began to realize that it doesn't really stand out in any regard other than having lovely animation.

>>15074688
The irony is that Star Driver itself was a poor man's Utena. Which coincidentally also fell short of expectations

This formula just doesn't work
>>
>>15076323
>The irony is that Star Driver itself was a watchable version Utena.
Fixed, Utena was garbage, SD was 10/10 easy
>>
>>15076323
>>15074688
At some point, Enokido has to realize that his attempts at repeating Utena just aren't working.
>>
>>15076204
One thing CE did right in the ending was having Daichi die. It's OK for the hero to sacrifice themselves, they don't always have to be alive at the end. More shows should do this with suicide missions.
>>
>spends a lot of time on what is essentially "monster of the week"
Did you watch the show? After roughly episode nine when the last kiltgang is introduced, it's all stupid conspiracy with salty dog and puc plotting. The characters they introduced with the Kiltgang members go nowhere. I assumed they wanted to humanize the bad guys. It also teased plot lines like Tepei's dad while never executing on them. The show has too much going on. It would have been better suited being more monster of the week. Hell, there were far too many episodes without mech action at all. At least it catered to my corruption fetish.
>>
File: 1470205919470.jpg (881KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
1470205919470.jpg
881KB, 1916x1076px
>>15076332
>SD was 10/10 easy
>>
>>15074720
>The crime is that it DOESN'T have enough MoTW stuff

this desu, the best stuff from that show was the episodes where they fought not in space but on the ground

Earth Engine Ordinary > Earth Engine Impactor

Akari a best tho, fite me
>>
Did anyone else think that the villain aliens in Captain Earth were the ones who would actually grow up and move past their immortal teenager edginess?
>>
>>15074682
not enough Pitzm they shoula made him a super robot pilot
>>
>>15076538
>not enough Pitz,
why are commas so close to the letter M?

And what's with the hate for the ending? It seemed fine to me.
>>
>>15076060
You have yet to get to the part where nothing much is happening.
>>
>>15076369
I liked that it was the kind of ending that was left open to the extent that your interpretation is valid. It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember it being kind of vague. Which is good, because I think people get in this state of mind where they want every question to be answered directly or else it's a "plot hole" and it's led to writers dumbing down their works significantly. So it's nice to see something that doesn't feel that it has to give you the answer. Of course this leads to people who are like "What's going on it makes no sense this sucks" but what can you do? At any rate, I'm pretty sure I had the same thought that you did.

Another show that kind of did this was Majestic Prince. Though I haven't gotten around to watching that new episode yet because I want to rewatch the series first and I haven't gotten around to that either. Since they would have to address that in some form I'm guessing it tosses that possibility right out the window. But the fact remains that for three years it was entirely possible for it to be that kind of ending.
>>
>>15076204
Hopefully SRW will fix it.

>>15076323
You shut your whore mouth.
>>
>>15074682

Some pacing issues, but more importantly they played it way to safe with the cast. The human drama is very weak and the action isn't there.
>>
File: 093.png (2MB, 1424x1068px) Image search: [Google]
093.png
2MB, 1424x1068px
Wasted potential is the greatest crime a show can have.

Because in an era where 2D mecha animation is being supplemented by 3D mecha action because nobody can really animate them anymore.

So when you get a bunch of people who can animate well and you make a show with a story SO fucking bland it might as well be plain rice it's frustrating.

That's the biggest problem with most Bones mecha in recent years. They can't fucking script for shit and don't know how to keep people engaged. It's why despite the original Fafner looking ugly as sin, the people who could overlook that enjoyed it because the narrative held them.

Captain Earth has no substance, only style.
>>
>>15078812

Yeah, I have noticed that the last few Bones shows have all been really cool opening episodes that set up a lot and generate a lot of hype... followed by completely pissing it all away with a basic lack of understanding about how stories work.

Star Driver didn't understand how tension worked, so despite having fun characters and cool fights none of the fights fight like the mattered. We know Takuto not only couldn't lose, but couldn't even be allowed to suffer significant battle damage, because otherwise the show was instantly over.

E7:AO not only missed the point of the original series, but had an almost spiteful approach to arc resolutions. The longer any given arc had been running and the more setup it had, the more likely it was to resolve in an abrupt anticlimax devoid of any kind of payoff. Which is the sort of trick that is 'shocking' once, and really annoying when you do it 5+ times in the last 12 episodes of a show.

And Captain Earth just failed to understand how to handle villains. They threw a bunch of shit at the wall, and even hinted that not all of the Kiltgang really wanted to destroy the Earth anymore, but they failed to really bring all of that together or set up anything for the endgame until they just dumped a big bucket of Puck all over everything and called it finished.

CE and Star Driver both could have been fixed with relatively minor changes in the script review stage. AO... that's more systemic. I'm not sure you can really save that show without chopping it to bits and making something new from the bloody mess.
>>
>>15078880
I'm glad you didn't include Concrete Revolutio in your list because it is quite the return to form for Bones. I recommend watching it if you have not yet.
>>
One thing that I really liked about Captain Earth was that the weird "dream world" episode was actually really good. Usually I find it really annoying when they do some sort of memory loss episode, especially when it involves repeat footage, but for some reason this one just... worked.

I heard the Captain Earth video game was based on the "alternate universe" from that episode, which is a pretty interesting thing to do. So it's a shame that will never be translated. I imagine that even if the show were somehow popular in the west there still wouldn't be much interest because the game does not seem to be very mecha. And yeah, people always say "then learn Japanese" but I have a lot of stuff to keep me occupied as it is right now and learning Japanese would take time away from that. Hopefully someday.
>>
I actually kind of liked CE, but I can still agree with most all of the criticisms leveled against it in this thread. My feeling is that what's going to happen is that in a few years, it's just going to be forgotten. No one will think of it, no one will go back and watch it again, no one will even remember it. It wasn't good enough or bad enough to warrant any kind of recognition.
>>
>>15081450
I agree, now that you've jogged my memory that episode wad quite good. I always like that sort of thing though, like the similar situations in GaoGaiGar and Gurren Lagann.
>>
>Melody of Oblivion
>Captain Earth
>Star Driver
While I do love Enokido; he continue to write a love letter to Utena. Within his original series, although, I haven't seen any Utena influence shown in FLCL. Diebuster is debatable because Lal'c and Nonon can be seen as Anthy and Utena.

Enokido favour the bildungsroman genre - the psychological growth of a character, his writing never focus on any exterior threats or if one were present it is either anticlimatic or dealt with immediately as it appeared for the ephemeral moments on screen and is geared into the interior focus of the characters minds and their subsequent actions. That, and he love, as much as Kunihiko to tell a story, often in a allegoric manner, if given the chance to not aim for a straight foward story, he'll go for it with his penchant to include psychosexualism. Surely, this is a trait of his that some can't swallow and it is alright because Enokido isn't meant for everyone.

Of course, I am criticizing Enokido as whole and maybe can add another layer to what have been shared already in the thread.
>>
>>15082853
>Enokido favour the bildungsroman genre - the psychological growth of a character,
Isn't his thing usually more about the protagonist sticking to their convictions in spite of society's standards? I would barely say that Utena, Captain Earth, or Star Driver have any development for their protagonists at all. The most that happens is their stances are challenged and they persevere anyway. Most of the development occurs with the secondary cast, but no real resolution ever happens because the shows basically throws them away at the end to make a statement about how much the protagonist believed in whatever they believed in. This is a serious problem with all of those shows. I've always felt that Star Driver is actually the best iteration of that mold thematically. I feel like Utena gets a lot more slack than it should on a writing level because of the lesbian subtext and because it came first.

Haven't finished Melody of Oblivion and without the ending I can't make an actual statement about that one.
>>
>>15074682
>Why do people call this show "bad"?
Because it had flaws, was /m/ related, and wasn't Fafner or Tomino-related, so it gets torn to shreds.
>>
>>15080196

I have not yet, but because you recommended it I will give it a try.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.