[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lego finally put out the artbook for their failed Bionicle r

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: G2 concepts.jpg (1MB, 4961x3508px) Image search: [Google]
G2 concepts.jpg
1MB, 4961x3508px
Lego finally put out the artbook for their failed Bionicle reboot. Only available in .pdf for us peasants, and it doesn't contain all of their concept art, but it's something, and it's interesting to see all the creative artistic work that went into the franchise before it got watered down and neutered for release.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5xxsl8xj8poog8f/The_Art_of_LEGO_BIONICLE.pdf
>>
Concept Art will always be better than the final product.
>>
>>15063659
If they looked anything like this rather than the crummy end result I'm sure they would have sold vastly better. But most likely these would be too costly to make at an at all affordable price so I guess that's a moot point.
>>
File: agitatingskeleton.jpg (50KB, 625x366px) Image search: [Google]
agitatingskeleton.jpg
50KB, 625x366px
>>15063659
It's like they wanted the line to fail.
>here's a blue skeleton
>here's a green skeleton
>here's a purple skeleton
>oh and for the big bad villian, here's a red skeleton
>did we mention the scorpion skeleton with all six legs in a fixed position?
>and for the next wave of toa sets, let's give them a gimmicky hat that looks the same
>and since the hats are the same, the top of the head will also be the same
>and make it as JUST as possible.
Also
>ditching all that cool shit in the concept art
>ditching this skeleton in particular
We could have gotten a revenant from doom in lego form.
>>
File: 1482964526319.jpg (194KB, 825x1705px) Image search: [Google]
1482964526319.jpg
194KB, 825x1705px
>>15063659
when will people realize that disney is the evil?

when

and how do we stop people support them? i know we can help the normies in some way
>>
>>15064124
pretty sure the star wars buildable figure sets looking like dog shit will stop many.
>>
>>15064081
>easily buildable using CCBS
>still ditch it anyway
>we got stickerfest instead

is there some kind of rule that kids toys can't bee good deigned or something. i don't remember that in 2002
>>
>>15064145
I am guessing they really wanted to save some shekels so single piece skeletal limb is the way to go.
>NO ARMOR ALLOWED REEEEEE
>>
>>15063659
The fuck is this? It looks nothing like Bionicle except for the frisbee launcher in the bottom right.

What do Masks even do that you need a Mask Catcher?
>>
>>15064153
>It looks nothing like Bionicle
>why do you need mask catcher
so you no nothing about bionicle and complains about what it should be? I thought it's obvious how masks were a huge deal within the lore.
>>
>>15064135
K2SO looks pretty good
>>
>>15064153
>What do Masks even do
Haha that's a brilliant question because even the story doesn't know. Well technically they give any wearer some sort of power, but in the Toa's case, it wasn't made that clear -- their regular masks don't do much, so they need to find the golden variants to become masters of their elements (even though later it's revealed that they had the elements within themselves the whole time).

Apparently the Toa just threw their original masks away when they got the golden ones, which is how this guy in the concept art snatched them up.
>>
>>15064200
Well that's the thing, they choose to make limited number of important characters, regardless of how well they translate into lego form.
Characters with helmets and robots are passable, then you get shit like >>15064124
>>
File: 70792-1.jpg (87KB, 690x665px) Image search: [Google]
70792-1.jpg
87KB, 690x665px
>>15064153
here's your perfect bionicle
>>
File: 200 percent mad.png (413KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
200 percent mad.png
413KB, 475x599px
>>15064239
Oh God. I've been out of the loop for so long. Did that... Is that real?

Because it's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>15064752
It's real.
And then the line died.
>>
>No more (You)s to easily identify replies.

Thanks for nothing.
>>
>>15064193
>>15064214
That's what I mean. Like, when I first got into Bionicle they made a big deal about all these different masks having different powers, and selling "booster packs" of masks to add to your collection. Even McDonalds gave you masks to put on them to give your dudes different powers.

But it never seemed to matter in story material or in the online game, which was the only way to actually delve into the lore and story. They didn't seem to switch masks unless the plot gave them more powerful masks. And then we found out there were literally hundreds of Toa out there, and thousands of anti-Toa. And there was still nothing to explain masks aside from the Bohrok and their worm things which were somehow related?

>>15064239
Disgusting. Even worse than the concept art.
>>
>>15064239
generic villains like these killed the line
>>
>>15064824
A big problem was that they never used the mask powers and weren't emphasized in the lore. The masks had some very interesting powers and some not so cool, like underwater breathing. Mask of shielding is obviously very powerful but barely used. Bohrok and Rahkshi has some unique powers as well such as flight.
>>
>>15064824
>>15064901

The hunt for masks were really only the focus in 2001, and they used them pretty effectively (if briefly) in the first online game and comics. They redid the same generic mask-quest as a side plot in 2003, but by that point it hardly mattered since the Toa stopped using more than one mask.

Masks in general were still pretty important though, the entire 2004 movie was about the Toa learning their mask powers, and the 2006 and 2007 books also dedicated scenes to the new Toa coming to terms with theirs. But the collecting aspect was completely dropped by then because kids stopped buying mask packs.

The reboot attempted to give a bigger meaning to masks again, and the point of having various mask powers was the driving force behind the story. Makuta's corruption even came about due to him wanting to combine multiple elemental powers into one mask. But that was only backstory fluff. The reboot scrapped individual Toa mask powers and instead "explained" that the Toa got their elements through their masks... but they didn't because they needed to find golden masks to fully control their elements?

Then they released energy-drained versions of four Toa masks, but only one ever came into play in the story. Then all of the Toa masks got damaged in fight, but then they had them repaired, but then they immediately switched them for a new set of masks. Then they had to find the golden versions of these masks, which allowed them to combine with animals or some shit. And there were "poisoned" versions of like three of these masks, but these had no story relevance either.

Oh, and then it was revealed that they didn't even need masks to control the elements, they just had to "believe in themselves".
>>
File: BecauseItLooksCool.jpg (66KB, 640x477px) Image search: [Google]
BecauseItLooksCool.jpg
66KB, 640x477px
Does Bionicle ever explain why they're all machines?

The planet is sprawling with nature, and the characters all act exactly like people (down to panting and stuff), yet they're robots for no discernible reason other than pic related.
>>
>>15065858
They're artificial bio-mech people who were tasked with keeping a planet-sized mech running, but accidentally gained self-awareness and developed culture and didn't realize they were living in/on a giant robot.
>>
>>15065896

Well that's pretty neat.

Why do they act just like humans? Were they and the planet-mech originally created by humans in the ancient ancient past?
>>
Any bionicle that have those shitty fingers hands is shit by default
>>
>>15065924
They were made by these guys called Great Beings who were the rulers of their planet but decided to dedicate their life to batshit crazy science. Their appearance was never shown, as they always wore cloaks and robes, and I think Lego had strict rules about never fully revealing them. All creatures on their planet are organic by default (with the exception of ancient energy entities and such), but they were augmented with tech components, so now basically they're all cyborgs, and they live for hundred of thousands of years.

When their planet was about to blow up due to the energies residing within, the GBs built a planet-sized robot in secret, but that exploded, so they built an even bigger robot in secret, filled it with continents and islands and cities and fortresses, tons of artificial cyborg races, robotic animals and all sorts of other stuff, basically creating an entire semi-robotic, semi-organic ecosystem. They also placed two residents of their planet into the brain center of the robot to act as pilots, but they eventually died. One of the GBs known as Velika placed his mind inside a random islander and hid among them to observe their creations up close.

Then this giant robot took off just as the planet exploded into smaller planets. It spent a hundred thousand years studying civilizations across the universe to learn the secret of how not to blow up your planet, then headed back home to merge the three planet fragments back into one. But during all this time, the beings inside him got sapient and sentient due to an AI glitch deliberately caused by Velika, who is evil by the way. They fought wars and shit, and one of them became the main villain who fell the giant robot using a virus. It crash landed on one of the planet fragments, shut down, and an island grew over its face as automated camouflage. Since its brain also got wrecked, all the people there had to migrate to this island, and that's where the tribal islander motifs come into play.
>>
>>15065986
It's also worth noting that most of this is completely fucking retarded, and stands as a good example for why some backstories are better left unexplained.
>>
>>15066004
I've always found the "giant robot" part to be pretty cool, just not the "built to slam three planets back into one planet" part.
>>
>>15066022
I was referring to that part too. I'm honestly not too fond of the backstory details they added post-2008, and especially of everything that got so lazily put out there after the cancellation.
>>
Well, it's kinda interesting and different, at least.

A Bionicle/Transformers crossover would seem like a natural.
>>
>>15066294
Bionicle feels more in line with something like Elder Scrolls and The Dark Crystal
>>
The only good villain figure in G2 was Umarak.
>Looks like some ancient european hunting god
>Bow
>Antlers
>>
>people actually kept following the storyline after the initial Metru story
Jesus Christ
It all went to shit with those spiders with the beyblade gimmick
>>
>>15064081
>>15063659

Man that samey speedpainted shit is literally everywhere lol.
>>
>>15070292
>>people actually kept following the storyline

>>people ever following the storyline

I guess I was born in 87 so I was too old to give a shit about the Bionicle movies. They just looked like kids junk to me. I see a lot of people who are nostalgic about them though.
>>
>>15070420
>Bionicle movies
Those were pretty shit. The real deal was the comics (which I personally didn't care for too much, but others worshiped them), books, online games and toy promos.
>>
>>15070292
>>15070420
>>15070560
Books are pretty solid.
>>
>>15070420
Bionicle movies were shit but I still watched them.
The real fucking gold were the commercials. Especially the Inika and Mahri ones - whenever those came on I lost my shit. Those were some of the best commercials I've ever seen.
>>
>>15065896
>planet sized mecha
Small planet, sure
It's about as tall as the US is wide, if I remember correctly
>>
>>15073577
In the original concept art and every official picture and animation, yes.

But his canonical height is about the diameter of Earth. Yes, it goes against the official depictions and the official measurements for the island of Mata Nui. But even with these contradictions, it's canon because Greg said so.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.