[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just saw the Transformers movie for the first time. Only watched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: Rodimus Prime.jpg (388KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rodimus Prime.jpg
388KB, 1920x1080px
Just saw the Transformers movie for the first time. Only watched the show a few times as a kid. Only had a vague idea of it. Wow, I had no idea it was such a solidly serious film where like half the cast gets killed. Really great to see the villans actually acting villanous and murdering autobots callously for a change. And nice to see that idiot Starscream finally get his cumuppance.

>Unicron

He's shamelessly ripped off from Galactus. Even does that thing where he makes powerful cosmic minions.

>HotRod becomes the new Prime

What. He's just some punk kid. His design just can't compare to Optimus Prime. Now Ultra Magnus. That guy has a much cooler design, voice. That guy should have been the new leader. He gets the total short end of the stick in the film. And they shouldn't have made "Prime" a title. Should have just been a name.
>>
>>15062317
the movie fall apart when they reached the junk planet
>>
>>15062323

The Junk Planet and the Sharkicon Planet feel like really filler. Which seems rather weird. They should have just spent 5-10 minutes giving Unicron and the Autobot Matrix of Leadership a backstory.
>>
>>15062317
>He's shamelessly ripped off from Galactus.
I forget, how involved was Marvel in the TF creative process by the time the movie rolled around?
>>
last movie orson welles was involved in

>You know what I did this morning? I played the voice of a toy. Some terrible robot toys from Japan that changed from one thing to another. The Japanese have funded a full-length animated cartoon about the doings of these toys, which is all bad outer-space stuff. I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen.
>>
>>15062364

I love listening to Welles shit talk.
>>
>>15062323
>>15062325
Yeah but the Dare to be Stupid part was great
>>
>>15062401

that song was bad.
>>
>>15062329
>I forget, how involved was Marvel in the TF creative process by the time the movie rolled around?

I know the comic started in early/mid 80s. Can't remember when it ended. Wikipedia says it ended in 91.

It wouldn't surprise me if Marvel knew and just let it slide.
>>
>>15062323
The movie fell apart when Optimus died. There's a reason the battle for autobot city is the most well remembered part, named character death toll aside it (and everything leading up to it) is the most well animated and paced part of the movie. The rest feels like mostly pointless dicking around, with some good scenes from time to time like the coronation, Wreck-Gar or any time Unicron is on screen.

Still a solid movie though, had a lot of fun on a recent rewatch.
>>
>>15063761
>hating on Weird Al imitating the style of Devo
>hating on Weird Al in general
Looks like the only one daring to be stupid is you, anon.
>>
>>15063823

I'd say the movie is 10/10 until the the Sharkitron planet. That's 45 minutes in (50%). They leave 22 minutes later and get right back to the main plot of Unicron. There IS filler, but it's really not that much. It's only roughly 25% of the film.
>>
>>15062317
Am I the only person who loved the Sharkticon planet? The Quintessons are kind of important for the whole thing later on plus

>GUILTY OR INNOCENT
>>
>>15064078

It's completely irrelevant to the narrative. It would work better as a stand alone episode.
>>
>>15064078
i dunno i suppose story arc about CYBERTRONIAN CREATORS would be more grand
>>
>>15064136
Pretty sure this was before the "creators" part was really a thing. They needed robot aliums and they made them.

Season 3 fleshed out shit from the movie, whether for better or worse.
>>
>>15064078
>The Quintessons are kind of important for the whole thing later on plus

More like they made some random aliens to encounter. Then made up a reason to justify spending a half hour of the film on them.
>>
>>15064136
Except they went back on that and just had a biblical creation story for the transformers. Also Optimus is literally Jesus.
>>
>>15062317
>had no idea it was such a solidly serious film where like half the cast gets killed
Because, of course, we discontinued their toys to make room for the new ones. And whoops, turns out kids really loved Optimus- we have to bring him back, but we've already got one where he's a zombie...
>>
>>15062317

Magnus was a fucking fop
>>
>end the cybertonian wars

wait, what? So the Autobots were kicked off Cybertron, and can only stage attacks on the moon bases. An uneasy cold war then stands. Then Unicron attacks Cybertron and... somehow that means the Autobots win?

Did I miss something?

Also are the regular citizens of Cybertron autobots, Decepticons or neither?
>>
>>15063778
When did unicron first appear in the comic?
>>
>>15062317
>like half the cast gets killed.
It's quite ridiculous when you consider that everyone survived 2 seasons of laser gunfights.
>>
>>15067557
They kept forgetting to heal and were at critical health by the time of the movie.
>>
>>15067542
My guess is that Unicron's attack decimated the Decepticons defenses severely, and the Autobots were able to wade right in and reclaim the planet after Unicron blew up. BUt that sounds over-simplified...

>Also are the regular citizens of Cybertron Autobots, Decepticons or neither?
The G1 cartoon hardly showed any neutral civilians, if at all. Everyone was either an Autobot or a Decepticon.
>>
>>15064078
SPARE ME THIS MOCKERY OF JUSTICE
>>
>>15067542
Majority of the Decepticons were killed off by Unicron and remnants scattering. Autobots who survived the Moon bases, those on Earth and all over the galaxy occupy the planet.

Interesting thing about the 20 year gap is that the Decepticons gave up on Earth but consolidated their grip from Cybertron kicking off or killing Autobot cells on the planet. The Autobots strengthened their alliance with Earth and made bases on the Moons to invade Cybertron.
>>
>>15062317
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys
>>
>>15068336
>Majority of the Decepticons were killed off by Unicron and remnants scattering. Autobots who survived the Moon bases, those on Earth and all over the galaxy occupy the planet.

That's probably what happened. But they could ahve done a better job of showing that. One shot Unicron explodes, the next the Autobots are on Cybertron. A couple scenes of Autobot army leaving Cybertron and retaking it would have been nice.

Alternatively, they could have ended the film on the remaining Moon base, and said that the next step is to retake Cybertron. The next season is about that.
>>
>>15062317
>Wow, I had no idea it was such a solidly serious film where like half the cast gets killed.
That's because they needed to sell the new toys. Notice how all the characters who died had already released toys.
>>
>>15068356
This
>>
Are Autobots and Decepticons the same race but different factions, or different races?
>>
>>15069987
Depends on continuity. In the original cartoon the first explanation the Decepticons were a warlike race of robots, the second one gives an origin that Autobots and Decepticons descended from different production lines. Labor goods and military hardware. Movies had the Decepticons started by the Fallen destroying Cybertronian civilization. Autobots rose from ashes creating a new civilization. TFA had a complex rise and fall of factions with Autobots and Decepticons being the newest ones. Megatron here created the Decepticon faction to revolt against the Autobot leadership. This becomes a common theme in other continuities like Aligned or Prime.
>>
>>15062329
The G1 Marvel comics were basically where the Transformers story bible was first put together.

Plus nearly all Sunbow cartoons were joint projects with Marvel not just Transformers.

Marvel were a big part of Transformers as a franchise on and of screen till the end of G1 really. Though afaik the movie was one of the things Marvel were least involved in and that Japan was most involved in creatively.

>>15067553
After the film as a follow-up to the film. Furman really liked the film and couldn't incorporate it into the comic fast enough. So film is in continuity for both the G1 cartoon and comics, though in the comics it's an alt future timeline that keeps crossing over with the present. Actually had a good Rodimus Prime in the comics.
>>
>>15068336

>Autoshits wait while the Decepticons bravely try to defend Cybertron
>Autoshits sweep in, murder the remaining Decepticons and take over
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.