[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i've never watched the original gundam series and i'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: amuro.jpg (46KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
amuro.jpg
46KB, 512x384px
so i've never watched the original gundam series and i'm trying to get into it. which is the preferred /m/ethod: tv show or movies? are they any different?
>>
>>15055627
Movies fix some animation and cut filler but also cut a lot of good material from the series, a lot of the minor characters get much less development. I prefer the series personally.
>>
>>15055627
Watch both.
Personally I got into the movies then watched the show afterwards.
Movies cut some good material but they also cut a lot of shitty animation and wacky stuff.
>>
>>15055664
Honestly I like wacky stuff in my gundam series, it never hurts to take a break from the plot for an exceptionaly bizarre moment/episode
>>
>>15055627
TV show then movies.

there isn't that much filler either. stuff still happens.
>>
Movies, they are canon
>>
Movies cut out a lot of fat and make for an overall better story. You miss some character development, but it's minor compared to the pointless fights of the week the movie cuts out, especially around the middle of the story.

Series is ok, but movie is where 0079 really shines.
>>
PRODUCTION ORDER!
>>
>>15055627
For absolute best results, watch the series and then watch the third movie. It expands on the big final battle.

If you want to watch the movies first, that's fine. They're coherent enough that you don't need to have seen the series to follow along. If you like the movies, the series is more than twice as long so there's more of what you liked in the movies. If you like the movies, but not enough to want to watch the whole series, that's okay. Just admit that you don't like it enough to sit through the series, don't be one of these assholes that never watched the series but claim to know that there's no reason to watch it if you've seen the movies.

For example, there's an episode called "Sayla's Agony" during which there are three or four sentences about the salt containers in the ship's food storage having been destroyed and a salt-water lake they can get more salt from. It totals less than two minutes out of the episode, but people who only watched the movies will tell you that the series is full of stupid filler like "the salt episode" without even knowing that 90% of that episode is actually in the movies.
>>
File: 58fly.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
58fly.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>15055664
>implying the shitty animation and wacky stuff isn't just as much what makes Gundam what it is, as the giant robots

Nobody should ever pretend that 0079 was a perfect work of art, because it isn't and it shouldn't be. The salt episode, Amuro cutting a nuke in half with his beam saber, Doan's island, and so on, are all part of the charm that makes it what it is. The rest of the franchise is filled with stuff that's almost as bad, if not worse, and acknowledging that the franchise has baked-in flaws is the first step in loving it.

Personally I love the anime far more than the movies, not only because of the wacky stuff but also because of much better character development, and all the awesome shit it cut out (Challia Bull, the Gyan, etc.). It's far more enjoyable of a watch, the movies are more like an icing on the cake after the fact.
>>
>>15055998
The salt episode isn't really filler
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Sayla%27s_Agony
>>
>>15056021

It's actually a very important episode that set's up the plotline for the next arc, the moving salt lake plot is just dumb as hell tho so people remember it more for that.
>>
File: 1355029746243.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1355029746243.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
The Series. After a bit the QUALITY starts to be charming and some of the episodes are so good. One of my favorites is "Time, Be Still," where Zeon Commandoes on hover bikes plant bombs on the Gundam and the White Base crew has to disarm them before they explode.
>>
>>15055998
>The salt episode
Stopped reading here
90 PERCENT of that episode is IN THE MOVIE.
CONFIRMED for retard.
>>
>>15055627
I like the movies better but you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't watch the series at least once.
>>
>>15056076
>and the White Base crew has to disarm them
>and the White Base crew
>the White Base crew
aka Amuro all by himself.
>>
I've only seen the tv series. Are the movies really worth watching? Cutting out large chunks of the show sounds good, since much of it is rather boring and forced MS battle of the week stuff.
>>
>>15055627
Depends on how you feel about old anime.

Personally, I think the movies are a better option for most people because it has a lower bar of entry into Gundam UC. The movies cut a lot of the filler episodes, villain-of-the-week format, and obvious scenes meant to push toys on kids and the end result is a much more focused story at only a fraction of the investment of time.
>>
>>15056327
I've heard it said that the third movie, Encounters in Space, is the best way to experience that part of the story.
>>
File: why-you-always-lying.jpg (20KB, 467x414px) Image search: [Google]
why-you-always-lying.jpg
20KB, 467x414px
>>15056132
>90 PERCENT of that episode is IN THE MOVIE.

Control those hyperboles, bro. It was like 30%. Max.

Besides, it's not so much the episode that was pointless. Just the whole salt plot line that simply went nowhere.
>>
>>15055627

Coming from someone who owns both the show and the movies, honestly Id say the show.

The movies just drag on and on and on and nothing seems to really happen till like the middle of the second movie.

At least with the show you get it more fleshed out.
>>
File: drunk-uncle.jpg (170KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
drunk-uncle.jpg
170KB, 650x400px
>>15056327
>I've only seen the tv series. Are the movies really worth watching?

If you've already seen the show, then there's really nothing to be gained in watching the movies.
>>
>>15056327
Yes. There's some new stuff in each movie, proportionally increasing as they go on, as well as expected shifts in pacing and some changes to make things more sensible. I generally prefer the TV series for its character development, but there's stuff in the movies that I find definitely superior (like switching out space guntank for a second guncannon). Worth a watch so you can see how it plays to your tastes.

Incidentally, Zeta's movies are only really worth watching for the incredible pretty new animation.
>>
TV if you want moar Guntank

Movies if you want moar Guncannon
>>
>>15055627
>so i've never watched the original gundam series and i'm trying to get into it. which is the preferred /m/ethod: tv show or movies? are they any different?

First /m/'s rule on watching franchises :

Production order, no exceptions allowed.
>>
File: 1423450203342.png (798KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1423450203342.png
798KB, 1600x1200px
>>15055910
>>
>>15055627
>tfw just finished watching 0079 and going to start watching the third film
All these wasted years, I wish I had started sooner
>>
>>15056253
Eventually the crew stops being faggots and comes out to help
>>
>>15055664
I've always wondered if Gundam was low budget or animation was really shit in 1980.
>>
>>15056724
Bullshit. 0080 and (I assume) 08th MS team can be viewed without having seen Zeta first.

In addition, AUs like G have nothing to do with the UC entries. Wipe this meme off the face of the earth
>>
>>15059274
Why would you need to watch War in the Pocket and 08th MS team to understand Zeta Gundam? None of them expand on or explain things seen in Zeta gundam
>>
>>15059273
TV series tend to have worse animation quality than a Movie. Movies can get away with high quality since they have a run time, where as a TV show usually runs 20-30 minutes a week and it'd be more costly to have better quality animation.
>>
>>15059280
I said "can", not "must be"
>>
>>15055627
TV show is the best, movies if you just want to get over with 0079 as fast as possible.
>>
>>15056724
Telling someone to watch the Mazinger franchise in production order is a great way to make someone hate it

Except for the Mazinkaiser OVA, the whole franchise is full of shows where you have to know what you're getting into in order to enjoy them properly.
>>
>>15055627
Movies unless you wanna watch an entire episode dedicated to getting some salt.
>>
>>15059274
And 0083 can be viewed in a complete UC vacuum. Hell, I watched it without knowing what Operation British was and expecting a sequel to Wing.

Doesn't mean production order isn't optimal.
>>
>>15059274
>Wipe this meme off the face of the earth

It's not a meme you retard it's important to know where the tropes fiom
>>
>>15059360
I watched Toeizinger first and loved it to bits. It has actual english subs, you know.
>>
>>15059360
You're acting like Mazinger Z had some deep intricate plot instead o
>>
>>15059496
Literally speaking or the internet variety?
>>
>>15059496
>an entire episode dedicated to getting some salt.
But that's wrong you retard /v/ermin.
>>
>>15056660

Movie 3 is very much different than the TV series. It boils down to new animation and no guntank. but its a ton of new stuff and it looks really great.
>>
>>15055892
Is it finally socially acceptable to express this opinion? Because the hive/m/ind has shouted me down every time I've tried to say this.
>>
When does Star Children play in the movies?
https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=rYHSU_N87Is
I checked the ending credits, and some scenes in the first and second movies, but couldn't find it.
>>
>>15059617
Literal salt. Like what you'd put on your french fires.
>>
>>15055892
>>15063125
That was the prevalent opinion around here back in like 2008. I started coming here with that SaiGAR bullshit, asked how to start with Gundam and was told to watch the movies. Every time someone asked or the topic of recommendations came up, everyone said that the movie trilogy was the best entry point for Gundam and you could watch the series afterwards if you really wanted to. It was in charts and shit.
General opinion eventually shifted, I guess because contrarians. Might be happening again now, I've been gradually noticing more support for the movies again.
>>
>>15059273
Both- The show wasn't all that popular, being only supported by its merchandising.

Plus the era was also home to late-70s Tatsunoko, Hanna Barbara and Filmation. Gundam was well at home in its time period. And movies tend to have larger budgets put into them and were made later than the show itself (third movie being done in '83 for example).
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.