[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /m/, I confess that I'm not that familiar with mecha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: XA-0900.jpg (199KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
XA-0900.jpg
199KB, 500x500px
Hey /m/, I confess that I'm not that familiar with mecha media besides some of the Armored Core games and a little bit of MWO. I've also seen the first season of Evangelion for what that's worth.

Anyways, I'm looking for more serious mecha media because I'm working on my own story. I want to see what stories have already been done. The main questions I want to explore are:

>Why do mechs exist in this universe?
>Why are they piloted in the way that they are?

and to a lesser extent

>What is the overarching plot reasons that the mechs are used.

I suppose you could boil my question down to "gib /m/core pls" but I kind of want to discuss these reasons in depth or at least get recommendations for media that explores those themes to some extent.
>>
Heads up, anon. You're not going to get a 100% foolproof, unattackable reason why mechas are being used. I suggest just accepting that unless you're going for the most gritty and down to earth interpretation, mecha aren't going to be one hundred percent realistic.

However, you can still look for explanations that hold up within the universes that have formulated them. I personally don't know much about Patlabor, but I think it explains mech with some pseudo-realistic justification.

Gundam- At least the Universal Century- Goes out of its way to justify mechas as being developed for space operation, with the limbs being used for flight adjustments.
>>
>>15046511
Oh, yeah, I don't mind it not being justified within our universe, but rather how writers have incorporated mechs into the universe be it as a military application, or a requirement to fight aliens, etc.

In the meantime I'll start researching Patlabor.

I've never really followed Gundam but I find that curious as the mechs seem distinctly humanoid. I'll read up on the in-universe "origin stories."
>>
>>15046577
Heads up on Gundam: It's basically a franchise with different universes that share some aesthetic and thematic points, so the origins and raison d'eitre of/for mechs are pretty different, or sometimes jut not touched upon.

Another anime that has an interesting take on mecha is Code Geass. The mechas there basically started out as semi-autonomous escape pods- Evolving overtime to become fully fledged military and civilian tools.
Shit unfortunately goes full on mecha escalation, laser-swords-and-prototypes-for-everyone in S2 tho, which is a pretty huge disappointment considering the way they portrayed mechs in S1.
>>
In Gundam there is an elementary particle called the "Minovsky" particle. Which is produced in the reactors that power pretty much everything. When these particles are released they align and expand creating an "i-field". This field of particles will disrupt microwaves, radio waves, and damage exposed electronics. Because of this the i-fields are used in combat, effectively making long range guided weapons unusable. The mobile suits were an answer to this, they are an agile close-range combat unit that could easily fight within i-fields.
>>
File: 1464136715424.jpg (100KB, 576x954px) Image search: [Google]
1464136715424.jpg
100KB, 576x954px
>>15046266
Gasaraki has a pretty interesting explanation for the mechs in it. In just about every scenario, they're treated as extremely realistic weapons that are meant to dominate in close quarters urban environments by outmaneuvering armored vehicles and packing more firepower than infantry. This is only possible because the artificial muscle used to make this type of maneuvering possible is actually cloned from an ancient biomech created by ancient aliens that doesn't necessarily follow regular physics. And since this stuff is in all of the modern day mecha, they can actually move well enough to be plausible weapons.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.