[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sort of weapon would create slowly moving (sub-light-speed),

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: BlasterFire.png (588KB, 1569x1237px) Image search: [Google]
BlasterFire.png
588KB, 1569x1237px
What sort of weapon would create slowly moving (sub-light-speed), discrete, plasmoid projectiles?

I see these things all the time but they're rarely explained.
>>
File: starwars blasterfire.jpg (113KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
starwars blasterfire.jpg
113KB, 1155x1155px
>>15041113
>>
>>15041129

Guess you're sorta right, but the plasmoid projectiles, when fired on the surface of a planet, never have curved ballistic arcs as if they were bullets.

They shoot in straight lines.
>>
>>15041155
Minovsky particles don't gravity because shut up UC Gundam is gritty and realistic.
>>
File: moawp-frames040.jpg (27KB, 800x443px) Image search: [Google]
moawp-frames040.jpg
27KB, 800x443px
>>15041262

Minovsky particles don't exist in SW
>>
>>15041113
Superheated gas or plasma is the usual explanation. How they stay together is a good question.
>>
>>15042063

>Superheated gas or plasma

In such a case it would be more of a flame-thrower type weapon, not a projectile weapon, right?
>>
Nice Spore screencap.

>>15042974
No, because it's not a continuous stream being expelled. The plasma is shaped with a forcefield in the barrel, usually.
>>
>>15042984
But how does it keep shape when it gets distant from the weapon that created it?
>>
>>15043011
Because it's fiction and looks cool.
>>
>>15043011
It doesn't keep going forever. They have an effective range and the beam will start to disperse after a while.
>>
>>15043011
I would imagine the material used as ammo, in this case tibanna gas, at extremely high temperatures (plasma state) generates a magnetic field or force field as a property of the material, which would explain why the bolt is able to hold together and as a concept allows for an actually usable maximum range compared to other means of generating the field

Better than LOLMINOVSKY at least
>>
>>15043111
That's actually exactly how Minovsky particles work too.

>When scattered in open space or in the air, the repulsive forces between charged Minovsky particles cause them to spontaneously align into a regular cubic lattice structure called an I-field. Due to the repulsive forces between positive and negative Minovsky particles, large amounts of energy are required to compress an I-field lattice. If enough energy is applied, and the I-field is sufficiently compressed, the Minovsky particles ultimately fuse into massive electrically neutral mega-particles. The energy used to create the mega-particles is expressed as both mass and velocity. No longer subject to the electrical forces that maintain the I-field lattice, the particles burst out of the electromagnetic field used to compress them. The weapon requires a second I-field forming a barrel shape to prevent the mega-particles from destroying the weapon that fired them.
>>
>>15041113
>Please justify this fictional thing using non-fictional scientific concepts.
>I see a lot of fictional concepts, but they're rarely explained using non-fictional scientific concepts.
That's because they don't exist, dipshit.
>>
>>15043165

Never thought I'd see a no fun fag actually arguing against attempts at scientific explanation
>>
>>15043187
nofunfags and science is one side of the coin

the other side of the coin is when science actually aligns with fiction and makes for a somewhat realistic interpretation of how something happened.
>>
In Deus Ex, they have something like,
>"An experimental weapon that is currently being produced as a series of one-off prototypes, the plasma gun superheats slugs of magnetically-doped plastic and accelerates the resulting gas-liquid mix using an array of linear magnets. The resulting plasma stream is deadly when used against slow moving targets."
>>
>>15043508

This makes the most sense

It's not firing actual plasma, it's firing superheated slugs
>>
>>15042974
In a real world setting, yes. You either need the bolt to move quick enough to not disperse much before it hits the target or you need some extra element counteracting the dispersing force.

>>15043155
Minovsky particles do do that, but it's not really relevant to the shot once it leaves the barrel. You're not generating an I-field channel from your gun to the target (though that would be an interesting weapon).
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER
>The weapon was able to produce doughnut-shaped rings of plasma and balls of lightning that exploded with devastating thermal and mechanical effects when hitting their target and produced pulse of electromagnetic radiation that could scramble electronics.
>>
>>15044850
Why do we not have nuclear tanks with this shit
>>
>>15044879
Who says we don't?

Nobody knew we had stealth helicopters until their existence was accidentally revealed in the Bin Laden raid. MARUADER went classified in mid 90s - imagine what we've cooked up with it since then.
>>
>>15044887
>stealth helicopters
You mean the Comanche?
>>
>>15044897
That was an armed scout, and cancelled. The Bin-laden raid used stealth transport choppers.
>>
>Implying plasma weapons don't already exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMEa6JkOlY
>>
>>15044879
The US army relies much more heavily on sophisticated electronics than any of its current or potential opponents, so anything that's sending out EM pulses is likely to harm them more than the enemy.
>>
>>15045271

You do know that hardening against EMP is a thing and that the US probably leads the world in it?
>>
>>15045184
fake af
>>
>>15044850

I have doubts, unless these targets were literally inches away from the weapon itself
>>
>>15044850
>in a toroid of 1 meter in diameter
how big was the gun anyway
>>
>>15046691
Ask your mum
>>
>>15046691

No actual gun was made, MARAUDER is one of those projects with literally nothing publicly released besides the name and a abstract, meaning it most likely died on the blueprint table
>>
>>15043565
I suppose that it would work much like a squirt gun.
once it leaves the I-field barrel it would travel fast, keeping the "shape" of a beam, and losing shape and dispersing the further it goes
>>
>>15046076

says who?
>>
>>15041262
Nobody was talking about Gundam, dipshit. All your gritty, realistic sci-fi whose cock you suck is guilty of the same crap. Fuck off.
>>
>>15043111
>muh physically impossible fiction is more plausible than your impossible fiction
You are so fucking retarded holy shit I bet you think all western fiction is automatically more realistic than anime. Delusional as fuck.
>>
>>15049217
>you think all western fiction is automatically more realistic than anime

Not all, no, but on average, yes.
>>
>>15042054

Any attempt to explain Star Wars is bunk

It actively prevents explanation
>>
>>15048838
says the fact that the "gun" makes a gunshot noise. A plasma weapon would be nearly silent.
>>
>>15041113
The most reasonable explanation I've heard is there is an expansion of superheated gas that follows after the Laserbeam.

Which makes sense in atmosphere but not space. Even accounting for debris and exhaust fumes
>>
>>15050324
also the "recoil"
>>
>>15041113
Is that from Spore?
>>
>>15047835
>once it leaves the I-field barrel it would travel fast, keeping the "shape" of a beam, and losing shape and dispersing the further it goes
Somewhat, sure, but the mega particles aren't electrically charged or particularly hot, so they're not repelling each other and spreading out much. You wouldn't have dispersion problems at the kind of ranges seen in the shows.
>>
>>15049210
>>15049217
>weebs
>>
>>15050536
>or particularly hot

Then they aren't particularly damaging.

A plasma weapon's damage is directly related to the amount of thermal energy it can transfer to the target
>>
>>15046076
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1mn1IxFs8
>>
>>15043011
Electromagnets
>>
>>15051272
Yes, but that was in relation to UC non-sabre beam weapons, which are primarily kinetic.
>>
>>15053186

You'll line the air with electromagnets from the barrel to the target?

Why would the target stand still and let you build an electromagnet rail towards it?
>>
>>15050490
depending on how much plasma you're actually launching, there would be some form of recoil.
>>
>>15044879
>nuclear tanks

Why on earth would you want something with a high chance of destruction to have nuclear power?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.