[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any real mecha series out there with zero fetish/fanservice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 14

File: german_mech_by_progv-d3j133q.jpg (123KB, 794x696px) Image search: [Google]
german_mech_by_progv-d3j133q.jpg
123KB, 794x696px
Are there any real mecha series out there with zero fetish/fanservice shit, minimal to no generic anime conventions, and is just a straightforward war drama with giant robots fucking shit up?

VOTOMs is the only series I've seen that comes close to being like this, and even it, although really fun, still falters in the "generic anime conventions" part, since the protag is a huge gary stu with infinite plot armor and some of the side characters can be very annoyingly animey.
>>
It sounds like you just don't like anime.
>>
Play a tabletop boardgame.
I'm sure someone will want to play with you.
>>
>>15029436

I do, I'm just sick of generic modern anime, and was looking for something different.
>>
>>15029442

Sick of modern anime conventions, I mean.
>>
>>15029442
you dont like something if you only like 5% of the output it produces.
>>
File: Arbalest desert.webm (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Arbalest desert.webm
3MB, 800x600px
>>15029442
Apparently you don't even like classic anime like Votoms since you said it uses generic anime conventions. You just don't like anime. Just play some Front Mission or Armored Core.
>>
>>15029446
>>15029445

Jesus, why are you guys getting so defensive? I never said I don't like it, I just said I'm looking for something different.

I loved VOTOMs, and I'm a huge Gundam fan, but I'm just looking for something different since I'm a bit sick of genre cliches, that's all.
>>
I'd want to mention Dougram but a lot of people feel like the FotS has too much plot armor, even though it's something of a necessity for the perspective
>>
>>15029463

I don't mind plot armor too much, I just want a war mecha show that takes itself a bit more seriously and doesn't revolve around industry cliches.

Dougram sounds pretty cool from what I'm reading, I'll check it out.
>>
>>15029434
Chirico isn't a gary stu. If he was then he wouldn't break down over being subjected to footage of his warcrimes and declare himself completely unlovable. There's more to being flawed than just combat ability.
>>
>mecha
>literal toy commercials
>I'm sick of generic anime conventions
looooool
>>
>>15029484
Yeah honestly I shoulda said this.
Anon, if you're looking for srs stuff you're in the wrong place- wrong genre, even.
>>
>>15029434
Here's the thing I don't get. I see a loooot of people complaining that in whichever show the protagonist wasn't challenged enough and felt too perfect and had plot armor. But what exactly are they expecting? For him to get BTFO'd every couple weeks? Or killed? I don't think you'll find very many mecha shows where they routinely utterly demolish the main mech at the hands of the baddies because then very quickly it will start to look weak. And the protagonist pretty much has to survive somehow or else there won't be a story, or it'll just be a revolving door of characters getting diced.

I can appreciate getting tired of seeing the same old things, where you've just consumed so much it's lost its flavor and become boring and predictable, but it'll probably be easier to take a break from the medium or the genre for a bit and try other things that it will to find a newer and more potent mecha drug now that you have a tolerance for the old ones.
>>
>>15029469
The Dougram robot is practically invincible. Don't expect it to even take so much as a scratch more than once in the entire series.

It's like Rahxephon, except that in Dougram, the conflict was mostly about the disparity between what the main characters could do and the broader scope of the Deloyer independence movement, while in Rahxephon, there was no conflict.
>>
File: 1447174819819.jpg (137KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1447174819819.jpg
137KB, 750x600px
>>15029434
But mecha IS a fetish/fanservice though.
>>
>>15029498
Also, in terms of combat, the mechs jump and toss each other around a lot, which may strike some as unrealistic. On the other hand, Dougram is also one of the few mecha animes where combined arms tactics are very important; helicopters, infantry, etc. are portrayed as being as important as the mechs. OP might like that.
>>
>>15029498
I think that may be overstating it a bit IMO. Dougram was tough bit it clearly wasn't truly invincible or necessarily the be-all end-all CA.
>>
>>15029503
Well, come to think of it, that was a common thing back in those days because of budget

You'd see the main robot get knocked around a bit, but you'd almost never see it take visible damage because it'd be too costly to animate.
Of course, there were combat armors that did take visible damage, so in this case it may be more to do with the fact that if Dougram ever lost a leg or anything like that, the entire FotS would be screwed
>>
>>15029484
>>15029493
>>15029494

You guys are getting way too defensive about this; All I'm asking is if anyone knows of mecha anime that differs somewhat from the industry-standard formula.

>Anon, if you're looking for srs stuff you're in the wrong place- wrong genre, even.

What? most of UC Gundam , with the exception of maybe ZZ, is pretty serious, and so are most Real Mecha shows.

All I'm asking is for Real Mecha shows that don't follow cliche anime conventions, or at least do so in a much smaller scale than most modern shows;
>>
>>15029506
or the real reason might be that it's a fucking toy commercial and the main toy is supposed to be the strongest and best one so kids like it and buy it
>>
File: legendofthebluewolves.jpg (75KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
legendofthebluewolves.jpg
75KB, 500x505px
>>15029442
I got you, family.
>>
>>15029498
>>15029502

I'm checking it out now, it sounds pretty good from what you guys are saying and from what I'm reading on MAL.
>>
>>15029434
Flag, who is directed by the same creator of Votoms and Dougram, could be a option.

You could also take some old war movies, like Battle of Britain, and use your imagination to think that you are watching mechas fighting, instead of planes. Of course I know that this is stupid and I'm not serious
>>
>>15029510
You know as well as I do that Takahashi never cared about that.

Just look at how many ATs Chirico went through in VOTOMS
>>
>>15029509
the point is mecha (and anime in general) is all about cliches and following the same formulas
also since you are a Gundam fan your taste is pretty shit anyway, no wonder you can't just enjoy fun shows and want some autistic crap about realism in animated toy commercials
>>
File: haveaglass.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
haveaglass.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>15029517

Yeah, you're right. I'll just stop looking for unique creative entertainment and just enjoy whatever the industry shits on my platter.

It's not like that mindset is literally what killed anime, right?
>>
>>15029514

Flag sounds just like what I'm looking for, thanks!

Someone recommended me Gasaraki too, you guys know if its any good?
>>
>>15029519
Considering Japan doesn't give a flying shit what filthy gaijin on the other side of the world like or want, I'd say your options are pretty limited.
>>
>>15029519

>unique creative entertainment

And this is what is being told to you, that the overwhelming majority of mecha shows scarcely stray from the norm.
>>
>>15029519
Being MUH SRS GRITTY REALISTIC WOR DRAMUH doesn't make a show unique or creative.

Your perception of anything that doesn't fall into this as cliche and fanservice-laden is entirely because you find difficulty in enjoying anything else, not because they are.
>>
>>15029525

I know that, and that's literally why I came here to ask if anyone knows about niche series that stray from the norm.

>>15029526
>>15029524

Again, I never said any of that. Never said Mecha shows that aren't about war are cliche. I literally only asked for "Mecha War Drama that strays from cliche anime conventions".

I never criticized whatever vague concept you guys are so rabidly defending, all I said was I was sick of cliche mecha anime and wanted something different.

You guys are literally getting butthurt over nothing, and sounding a little bit too much like /a/ fags who migrated to /m/ recently.
>>
>>15029520
Never seen it. I only knows that it is from where this scene, generally used to start a fight between tankfags and mechafags, comes from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4b-haPATmI&t=2s

By reading in 4chan, I also knows that later on in the series it have a obvious plot twist involving aliens
>>
>>15029530

Oh, so that's where that webm was from!

Heh, I might check it out for the animation alone, it looks very well animated.
>>
>>15029527
>if anyone knows about niche series that stray from the norm.
No, because there quite literally isn't.

Flag and Gasaraki are both pretty cliched with its conventions and characters, don't let them fool you.
>>
>>15029442
>I do, I'm just sick of generic modern anime, and was looking for something different.

No big deal man. Occupy your free time with something else.
>>
>>15029530
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4b-haPATmI
holly shit this is beyond stupid
>>
>>15029535

When I say modern anime cliche, I'm talking about overuse of moe/ecchi content, harem-shit, obvious self-insert main character, blatant fantasy fulfillment with no regard for actual plot, unidimensional characters that serve only to occupy obligatory archetype slots, etc.

Plenty of anime shows avoid these things, but I'm asking specifically for a war mecha anime that does this.

I feel like you guys just read my post as "ALL MECHA SHOWS ARE SHIT GIVE ME SOMETHING DIFFERENT" and got super defensive about it, which is not at all what I meant.
>>
>>15029434
>Are there any real mecha series out there with zero fetish/fanservice shit, minimal to no generic anime conventions, and is just a straightforward war drama with giant robots fucking shit up?

Honest answer : no there aren't. If you're looking for such a mecha series then I'm said to say you're fucked. You'd better look for another hobby. It's not a matter of modern anime versus old anime, the kind of anime you're looking for simply DOES NOT EXIST and has never existed in the first place. So make your peace with that.
>>
>>15029541
>zero fetish/fanservice shit, minimal to no generic anime conventions, and is just a straightforward war drama with giant robots fucking shit up?
>Honest answer : no there aren't.
How about War in the Pocket?
>>
>>15029434
No.
>>
>>15029540
>obvious self-insert main character, blatant fantasy fulfillment with no regard for actual plot, unidimensional characters that serve only to occupy obligatory archetype slots, etc.
Mecha has always had this and it's almost impossible to find one that doesn't have this. I can't think of a single one that doesn't. Dougram has it, Gundam has it, they literally all have it. If you sincerely care about these things (which I don't know why you would), then mecha is not for you.
>>
>>15029540
No, we're telling you that you'll struggle to find shows that don't include at least some of that, because the absolute overwhelming majority of shows were aimed either at children or at fanboys and to just accept that fact because you'll have more fun with robot shows that way.
>>
>>15029547
School setting, romantic interest, melodramatic scenes, etc.
>>
>>15029554
>>15029553

I'm not looking for a show that doesn't have it, but a show that does this to a lower degree.

>>15029547

Yeah, War in the Pocket fits the bill actually now that I think about it.

>>15029555

>School setting, romantic interest, melodramatic scenes, etc.

That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about, those aren't modern anime cliches, every storytelling medium has those tropes.
>>
>>15029558
Then a lot of the 80s stuff will probably suit you.
>>
File: 1475707655431.jpg (67KB, 400x448px) Image search: [Google]
1475707655431.jpg
67KB, 400x448px
>>15029563
Yep, now you remind me that there is also the Starship Troopers OVA, from late 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZty-Eol4s
>>
>>15029558
I suggest Tekkaman Blade then. It puts the highest personal price on power that I've ever seen in mecha
>>
>>15029574

Oh shit, it's even based on the novel and not the film, gotta watch that.

>>15029576

Alright, it's on the list. The mech design looks pretty sick, too.
>>
>>15029434
Area 88
>>
>>15029434
Bobby's in Deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3AMYVrTDgg

Or Patlabor 2
>>
Ms igloo
>>
Argevollen?
>>
Thank god there isn't
>>
>>15029434
>all this sperg

Go back to /tg/ or /k/ or wherever you came from
>>
>>15029720
>All this sperg
>Actually like fan service
> V-v-virgin san?
>>
>>15029720

>wherever you came from

I literally only browse /m/ and /co/, was just looking for something different bruh.

Seriously, why some people getting butt blasted over this? I'm not even criticizing anything.

>>15029695

Classic, already seen it though. Great rec nonetheless.

>>15029702

Hm, sounds neat. Couldn't find much about it, but I'll try to check it out.
>>
>>15029434
Watch Dougram and Layzner, by the same director.
>>
>>15029434
Thunderbolt
MD Geist
War in the Pocket
Megazone
Robot Carnival
>>
>>15029739
>not liking fanservice
TNA isn't the only type of fanservice
>>
File: Madox_08.jpg (298KB, 1155x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Madox_08.jpg
298KB, 1155x1600px
>>15029434
>Real mecha
Patlabor, all of them

No shitexcept for Patlabor 2, which is overhyped snorefest thanks to neo-Oshii

>War machine
Madox 01 and Appleseed manga, never go wrong. Also there's Gundam Sentinel if you like Gundam much
>>
File: stealth kill.webm (1MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
stealth kill.webm
1MB, 800x600px
>>15029984
He won't like Patlabor because it has humor and it's not a war drama.
>>
>>15029436
fpbp
>>
>>15029984
how's that ADHD treating ya
>>
>>15029984

I've seen the 7 episode Patlabor OVA, and the first movie. They were really great, I still haven't gotten around to watching the TV series.

>Madox 01

Damn, that mech looks cool.

>Appleseed Manga

Definitely on the list, I've been looking for a high quality scan for months.

>>15030001

Nice strawman, friend.
>>
>>15029702
No, but a pretty decent attempt.
>>
>>15029984
>Patlabor 2
>overhyped shit
I'm sorry for your incurable shit taste cancer
>>
>>15030028
You should watch the TV series, it's sooooo much fun. It's more of a comedy series, but it doesn't rely on fanservice (there's very little of it) or most typical anime tropes. The humor mainly comes from the interplay between the characters, which is fantastic.

Madox-01 is also a lot of fun, but it's also another more lighthearted excursion than war drama. The protagonist bumbling his way into a secret power armor and then bumbling around the city trying to survive against everyone who wants to take it back is definitely played for laughs.
>>
There's Flag, also by Takahashi, but you might not like the way it's presented, which is as a fake docudrama. It's really good though, you should def. watch it.
>>
>>15030782
>It's really good though

What?

>Shit mech design
>Shit CGI
>Shit story pacing
>Shit filler episode with nothing but nomadic goat farmers
>Shit ending
>>
>>15030791
You've got terrible taste bro.
>>
>>15029446
Dude, if this guy doesn't like anime tropes he'll hate Front Mission and Armored Core.

OP, go play World of Tanks.
>>
File: mellowlink.jpg (97KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
mellowlink.jpg
97KB, 800x560px
>>15029434
Try Mellowlink
>>
File: I_came_here_to_fuck_you_up.gif (595KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
I_came_here_to_fuck_you_up.gif
595KB, 480x360px
>>15029434
There is no fiction, anime or otherwise, like you're describing because not only does it not exist, it simply couldn't and if your dream came true it would be absolute shit.
>>
>>15029434
Dragonar
Dougram
Original Macross (unless the idol bits are too 'generic anime conventions')
Vifam (its a war drama about kids rather than soldiers though)
maybe Dancougar (most of it has the uncombined vehicle forms fighting goofy planes, tanks and mook robots even though its a super robot show)
Megazone 23
Madox
Really, just look up everything Artmic made and see if you like it

Also don't ask for things by listing what you don't want, autists can't deal with it.
>>
>>15029484
Go back to playing CounterStrike senpai
>>
File: 1358540318636.jpg (48KB, 800x291px) Image search: [Google]
1358540318636.jpg
48KB, 800x291px
>>15030915
>no fanservice/fetish shit

But anon, that's my fetish.
>>
This is like the most commonly asked question regarding mecha ever, in any anime community.
>>
>>15030910
When was AC ever animu?
I've only played FA and VD, but both seemed pretty gritty to me. The only anime stuff is the physics. But the characters and plots are the opposite of "fanservice fetish shit"
Except for reaper squad who come off as really chuuni.
>>
>>15029436
>heretic!
>burn him for wanting something different!

Really. Most modern anime convetions don't even show up prior to a certain year. Try FotS and Zambot. You don't need to like modern anime to like anime.
>>
>>15030791
Come back when you'll be 18.
>>
>mecha anime
>I want to watch a serious war drama
>>
>>15033752
Those have several modern anime conventions
>Kid/Teen Heroes
>Invincible protagonists
>Death scenes are only of minor characters and don't change the plot meaningfully until the ending
>Tsunderes
>Gratuitous romance in Dougram
>Protagonist in Dougram has zero personality and is almost self-insert tier
>>
>>15029434
>a straightforward war drama with giant robots fucking shit up

sounds paradoxical.

but just watch FLAG it's really the only answer to these questions.
>>
>>15029434

...Orphans? I mean Jesus you have literally impossible standards. It sounds like you want a "straightforward war drama" without any actual drama. Just watch a YouTube video of a tank driving down the street lol.
>>
>>15029434
>straightforward war drama with giant robots
What does this mean?
>>
File: 1433134318195.png (487KB, 1175x1132px) Image search: [Google]
1433134318195.png
487KB, 1175x1132px
>>15032159
>when was AC ever animu
>only played FA and VD
>FA

mfw FA gave birth to fucking AC waifus. Especially Merrygate and "White Glinko."

AC is never to be taken as a serious attempt at storytelling. EVER. You are a merc making money in the most anime cyberpunk mech world ever created.
>>
>>15033920
Something Tomino always wanted to do.
>>
>>15029434
Aldnoah Zero and Dougram
>>
>>15029434
So basically Aldnoah/Zero throughout season 1. Season 2 becomes much more anime but Season 1 is entirely war drama.
>>
>>15033969
>>15034672

>Unironically suggesting A/Z isn't bullshit
>>
>>15033958
But how is Merrygate animu. She's just got the smilies.
>>
>>15029434

Try M3.
>>
>>15029434
Patlabor is a cop drama featuring mechs. About as good as it gets for mecha anime, which is generally shit. Sorry OP, mecha are cool, but they are rarely attached to good series
>>
File: Char.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Char.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>15029537
Triggered tankfag?
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.