[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

never watched tokusatsu before, but I feel really curious whenever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16

File: cross-over-cover.jpg (190KB, 640x308px) Image search: [Google]
cross-over-cover.jpg
190KB, 640x308px
never watched tokusatsu before, but I feel really curious whenever I see the dedication toku fans feel for this particular niche, what would you guys recommend a first timer to watch? I dont know if I should go for Kamen Rider, Ultraman or some super sentai show, I used to watch Power Rangers as a kid, but then again I dont know how well the japanese counterpart stans up the test of time.
>>
>>15013566
>beetle
Kamen Rider 1 is based off a grasshopper you spider twat. Anyway to answer your question there are the generals for kamen rider, sentai and ultraman browse those for a bit and decide which one you want to see. Although if you want to get into kamen rider then a safe bet to start on is something like kabuto or W
>>
>>15013566
/co/ is that way ->
>>
>>15013604

>Although if you want to get into kamen rider then a safe bet to start on is something like kabuto or W

how are those in terms of tone? for what I know some KR seasons play it a bit more straight than others
>>
>>15013566
Kamen Rider ZO is a short movie that succinctly gets the "guy becomes bug guy and beats up monsters" idea across
It's not the best at anything but it's solid enough and to the point. A lot of the tv series take a while to build up steam.
>>15013757
It's a moderately serious superhero movie.
>>
>>15013566
Sentai is generally better than Power Rangers, but of the three major toku brands it's definitely the silliest on average. You have to have a taste for almost Looney Tunes levels of slapstick at times.

Kamen Rider is aimed just a touch older. You could just start watching the current show, Ex-Aid, or start with W as >>15013604 recommends. I don't recommend Kabuto, it used to be a good example of the franchise but I personally think it's aged very poorly since 2010, when the average writing quality of Rider went up considerably. W is the start of the current era of Rider shows, and basically set the standard that most of the shows since then have followed. It'll also introduce you to Over-Time, who've subbed most of the shows from W onward and are the general favorite subgroup around here. Over-Time did not sub Kamen Rider Gaim, which was instead subbed by many of the same people under the name Aesir, and are not subbing Ex-Aid, which is instead being subbed by Excite Subs.

Ultraman you'll have to ask the general about, I don't know much about it.
>>
File: 1412889144180.jpg (228KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1412889144180.jpg
228KB, 1200x900px
>>15013566
Hey man, don't forget about Metal Hero. Shows in that series have recently been getting subs.
>>
>>15013604
>>15013798
>W
W is shit tier. Just start with Black, Faiz, Blade, Den-O, or Gaim.
>>
>>15013868
I don't think I'd recommend Faiz, Blade, or Den-O as a start, but Gaim's certainly not a bad one.
>>
File: elRtVJQ.gif (721KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
elRtVJQ.gif
721KB, 446x251px
>>15013868
>W
>shit-tier
>Recommending Faiz
>>
>>15013920
People have different tastes. I hate W (mostly because of Akiko, Xtreme, Xtreme Gold and the ending) but I like Faiz because it's a pretty funny b-tier soap opera with a kickass suit and decent upgrades.
>>
>>15013901

>search up Gaim

>Gen Urobuchi

Now that souns like something interesting.
>>
File: MORETHANSYMBOL Magenta.png (1MB, 3000x4338px) Image search: [Google]
MORETHANSYMBOL Magenta.png
1MB, 3000x4338px
>>15013991
If I were you, I wouldn't start with Gaim. Aesir subs made some hilariously bad choices for some things in that show. The blurays are being done by a different group at the moment but they're only 9 episodes in.
>>
>>15013566
>Ultraman
Literally no bad entries, the spinoff amounts are crazy though. Just don't start with Nexus since it is the only series with major serialization.
>Kamen Rider
Avoid Ryuki, Blade, Kabuto, The Next, W, and Gaim. I'd include X and Den-O, but with the former it's mostly subpar showa writing and the latter is mostly the last nine episodes being time travel shenanigans. Drive is the best series, Skyrider is second best, OOO is third best, and the original 1971 is up there if you're okay with monsters of the week.
>Super Sentai
Sun Vulcan has horrid writing, Flashman tries to hard to act depressing, Liveman has too many stupid moments, Jetman is unimpressive, and Kakuranger has an asspull ending, but those are still fine all things considered; the only bad entry is Megaranger. Most of anything else is fine, Changeman and Timeranger are the best, just don't expect yellow rangers to get much in the vast majority of them.
>other
Anyone that says JAKQ or Kamen Rider Hibiki has whiplash issues has never seen Daitetsujin 17, no toku are worse than Daimajin Kanon and Bio Planet WoO, Space Sheriff is worth watching, and Inazuman Flash is the best toku of the 70s.
>>
>>15013991
Gaim is pretty excellent. What >>15014022 is referring to are some changes to names that Aesir made which are controversial, some of them made based on incomplete information. You can hear the actual names in the dialogue, so it's not a show-breaking change by any means, and the show is generally considered a favorite. Ex-Aid is written in very similar style to Gaim and is a very excellent show so far, so you should also consider just picking that up and starting to watch weekly with the rest of us.
>>
>>15014080

Is ex-aid really that good? It seems like the toy factor was cranked up to 11 with all that pink
>>
>>15014133
So far it's better than Ghost was at this stage.
>>
>>15013798
>Kamen Rider is aimed just a touch older.
It isn't.
>>
>>15014070
>Literally no bad entries
Literally the current series.
>>
File: dead is better.jpg (19KB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
dead is better.jpg
19KB, 400x226px
>>15014179
More like literally every Heisei series. Let Ultraman rest.
>>15014070
>avoid W, Sun Vulcan, Liveman
Look at this homo erectus and his primative taste.
>>
>>15014133
One of the unusual rules with Rider is that terrible-looking costumes come with awesome shows attached.

Fourze? Spacesuit conehead. The most heartwarming shit you'll ever see when you're not watching a monster get rammed with a bike so hard that they fly into fucking outer space and get speared with a giant drill.

Gaim? Fucking fruit samurai. Escalates step by step from dance Pokemon battles to titans tearing through a ruined city with armies at their back to see who becomes a god.

Ex-Aid? Fellow Kids: The Series. Fucking incredible pacing and characters.
>>
>>15013953

jesus and all the misunderstandings were good for you? half of faiz could have been solved by simply talking to each other
>>
>>15014257
>More like literally every Heisei series. Let Ultraman rest.

Nah. Tiga, Dyna, Gaia, Nexus, Max, and Mebius are all well worth watching. Much more so than over half of the Showa era series to be honest.
>>
>>15014436
> There are still people who think Fourze's conehead was bad.
>>
>>15014257
>>15014706
For the sake of our thread creator, who probably doesn't know:

Toku is often referred to as belonging to either the Showa era or the Heisei era. This is a divider that occurred in 1989, when Japan changed emperors, and as it happens it coincides with when Kamen Rider took a ten-year break from being on the airwaves, with the last show being Kamen Rider Black and its sequel Black RX. When Rider came back in 2000, with Kamen Rider Kuuga, it marked a significant change in the overall structure of the show. In particular, while Black RX had two alternate forms he could take, Kuuga developed the general structure of Rider form changes that's been in use ever since.

Ultraman also took a long hiatus, from Ultraman 80 in 1980 to Ultraman Tiga in 1996, so the Showa/Heisei designation is also used for them. Like Rider, Ultraman's return also brought stylistic changes with the introduction of the main hero having the ability to change into different forms.

Super Sentai has been running continuously since 1975, with the show gradually evolving over time, so the Showa/Heisei definition is almost never used when discussing Sentai. The period from Liveman to Zyuranger in the early 90s did feature some noticeable stylistic changes and improved production values, in that the robots became able to combine starting with Super Liverobo and started to have a much less blocky appearance starting with Daizyujin, but this was a steady shift rather than a sharp divide.
>>
>>15013838

got a specific show in mind?
>>
Start with Kamen rider black continue with RX , OOO and then gaim , feel free to watch anything you want after that
>>
>>15015078
gavan is the most easily findable on millionfold subs
they also subbed Ohranger and Kaiketsu Zubat
>>
I think the best advice rather than the usual show recommendations is to just watch the first episode of any series that looks interesting or has a description that interests you.
You'll be way more motivated to watch the whole show if it hooks you from the start.

I personally like Fourze, but you might find what you like in a show is completely different from what the majority of /m/ likes.
>>
File: 1457021464989.gif (2MB, 415x222px) Image search: [Google]
1457021464989.gif
2MB, 415x222px
>>15013566

Listen to >>15013769

ZO is the ultimate litmus test for whether you'll like toku. It's an actual movie, rather than an episode of the show that happens to be longer with a bigger budget. And it's quite good.

Be aware that most tokus are around fifty episodes and can take a while to build up steam.

If you want something of intermediate length, try Kamen Rider Amazons (the plural is important). But that's on the far end of the grittiness scale.

After that? Kamen Rider W and Jetman are great ambassador shows.
>>
>>15015078
If you want something to settle into smoothly, you could try the first 14 episodes + movie of Janperson, since they stand alone well enough (plot advancement occurs after those, and MBE hasn't gotten too far yet). As an alternative, the first two episodes will do.
>>
File: 1478123704910.jpg (887KB, 1012x717px) Image search: [Google]
1478123704910.jpg
887KB, 1012x717px
>>
>>15013566
I just started with Gaim, and recently finished it
honestly thought it was pretty great for a 50 episode commercial

Most people recommend other things though to start with

But honestly I'm waiting until Kamen Rider the first gets finished with the new subs to watch that then either OOO or Fourze next.
>>
File: justice.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
justice.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>15014436
>>15017872
Gaim and Fourze are both excellent starting recommendations and probably my favorite rider series. The former is overarching plot done well and the latter is monster of the week done well.
>>
>>15017896
to me 3 good starters are fourze, gaim, or drive. I don't consider gaim good for a "my first" Kamen Rider series though, it's a bit too special. I'd say pick those 3 too start with, but watch gaim third.
>>
I'm not OP but I was thinking of starting with Jetman
Would that be okay?
>>
File: power-rangers-slice.jpg (41KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
power-rangers-slice.jpg
41KB, 600x200px
>>
>>15017934
Yes, it was my first fully subbed(while I watched the then airing Kyoryuger) sentai and I enjoyed it a lot.
It might have helped that I got back into Power Rangers a bit before getting into sentai so I was already eased up on the format though.
>>
Decade

Because:

1 - Masahiro Inoue is the best Rider actor / Tokusatsu fanboy who stays around and plays a glorious douchebag in Decade. Diend just helps with that. You'll see him around in crossovers / other tokusatsus quite frequently because he just loves hammy douchebag roles in toku.

2 - There is no cohesive plot, or it sums up all the plots of a lot of Kamen Rider shows into 20 minute slots... badly (and most of the time shits on previous series, but you wouldn't care because you're new to Kamen Rider). That being said it is still fun to watch even if it leaves you confused, especially at the end of it all -> Prepares you for watching an actual Kamen Rider series (one that someone else recommends in this thread) with an overarching plot (The only way is up).

3 - It's relatively short compared to other series, and you can pick it up and drop it more whimsically.

4 - Onore dikeido.
>>
>>15020273
Decade is frustrating if you know Rider, but when it gets it right and you know Rider it's really cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGXr77VsOYU
>>
>>15013798
>since 2010, when the average writing quality of Rider went up considerably.
>what is Wizard
>what is Ghost

Hell, even Drive's writing isn't that good either. It's fun, but understanding plot is too overused.
>>
File: juspion_juspion x gilza.webm (3MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
juspion_juspion x gilza.webm
3MB, 400x300px
>>15013566
>what would you guys recommend a first timer to watch? Super Sentai, Ultraman, Kamen Rider?
None.
Try METAL HEROES, nigga.
>>
>>15021229
Being overused doesn't make it bad, thou. Drive had a slope in the middle (around the 20-30s, if I remember correctly?), but the rest of the show is pretty good.
>>
>>15021277

Beginning is slow and it loses its direction after the Freeze arc when Shinnosuke's character arc is pretty much done and they're trying to figure out what the fuck to do with Gou instead.
>>
>>15021277
>>15021285
I'd say Drive's slowest point is around 16-24, when they do a retread of a certain character's plot arc after having just finished it, just to buy time before getting to the mid series twists.
>>
>>15013566
I'd say start with the movies. They're low commitment compared to the tv shows and they run the gamut in terms of tone.

If you want something that's just fun action, go with Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy. Which is an Ultraman movie.

For something that's edgier yet undoubtably kiddie toku, go for the Sharivan: Next Generation movie.

For something that's basically a compressed version of the TV show, yet goes its own way, you might consider Kamen Rider Faiz: Paradise Lost.
>>
>>15021229
One terrible show and one not-so-great show doesn't compare to half the pre-W shows either falling apart near the end or just plain being shit all the way through.

Six years ago people would have told newcomers not to watch W because it was too good and we would only get a Rider show like it once every handful of years. Now we can have an earnest debate over whether or not W is as good as a bunch of the shows that came after it. Actually good Rider shows used to be diamonds in the rough. I don't know if they changed something about the production process or they just found some writers who knew what they were doing, but there was a gigantic quality shift after Decade and it was by and large for the better.
>>
>>15013566

I love that pic, OP.

I recommend Kamen Rider Blade. My favorite KR show, excellent all the way through, fantastic ending.
>>
File: cap-rider.png (323KB, 554x450px) Image search: [Google]
cap-rider.png
323KB, 554x450px
>>15013566
OP's image reminds me of pic related
>>
>>15013566
If you plan on tackling Ultraman, I can't recommend Mebius enough. It's fun, heartwarming, and perfectly encapsulates everything that's good about Ultraman. You can try it out by watching the movie first, "Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers", since it doesn't spoil anything and is like the series squared. You can also try Ultraman the next for a slighty grittier take, but the best part of the franchise is its mythology imho, and Mebius has it in spades.

Also seconding ZO: excellent starting point for KR. After that you can just pick and try whatever heisei series catches your fancy, it's the best thing about the franchise (even tho you miss out on some fun crossover goodness if you don't go production order after W).
Kuuga is, imho, the best of the lot by far, but you should try to save it for later on.

If you've never watched *any* toku whatsoever, you owe it to yourself to watch the original Godzilla- it's great. Head up to /t/ and check the thread, there's a good recommendation chart if you'll crave more big G (you will).

Last but not least, can I interest you in sum Garo? Midnight tokusatsu, a bit chuuni but that's part of its charm. You'll find it refreshing after a toy commercial too many.
>>
>>15021267
I like Juspion too, but don't be a faggot about it.
>>
>>15021970

I fucking love Blade too, but it's got so many memes attached to it for a reason.

Luckily that's mostly in the first dozen or so episodes, and it gets fucking GREAT after the writer change at episode 30. But not sure if it's the best entry point.
>>
>>15022148

>Garo

>Overdesigned fantasy armor everywhere

I might like this, wich Garo show would you reccomend?
>>
Do any of the Metal Heroes shows have giant robots in them? Like the size/style of Sentai robots?
>>
>>15024309
Start with the first one. CG is a bit dated but it's the best starting point for the franchise.
>>
>>15024341
HD rips are also now available for the first season, making it look a lot better.
>>
If nobody has actually answered you, i will.

If you're a sucker for team "We can do it with the power of friendship" shit then you'd want to go Super Sentai.

If you want more character based action, then go Kamen Rider.

I will always stick by the idea that Fourze is the best show to get started with Kamen Rider. Its light, easy, funny and more importantly has like 6 crossover movies so you can get acquainted with not only other Kamen Riders, but Super Sentai as well if you want to cross over.
>>
>>15024313
They sure do. Juspion, Spielban and Jiraiya (yes, you read this right) come to mind. Not sure if the B-Fighters have anything beyond giant vehicules.
>>
>>15024313
>Do any of the Metal Heroes shows have giant robots in them?
BETTER than sentai, mate.
>>
File: 45050635.webm (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
45050635.webm
1MB, 480x360px
>>15014706
The Showa is bad meme never gets old. Really it doesn't, no matter how many years you push the agenda.
>>
>>15024348

got any links? I only found the HD from ep13 onwards
>>
>>15014133
Surprisingly it really isn't that toy driven like drive and ghost were.

All the gashats so far have actually been necessary for the plot and there isn't any random ass gadgets that are literally used once and forgotten about.
>>
>>15025630
It helps that the writer for this one usually does quick/fast-paced series, so plot happenings and toy showcasing can be balanced.
>>
I'm probably one of the bigger /co/ fanboys on /mu/ (15k+ floppies, thousands of dollars sunk into the industry, etc). But while I enjoy both boards, I can't say there's too much overlap in taste, if only because liking comics doesn't mean shared taste. What do you like about comics, and what do you like in your comics?

If you can enjoy old shows, I would strongly recommend watching Ultraseven, the original Kamen Rider, and Jetman (dramatic) or Dairanger (action), depending on your preference.

If you want something modern, Kamen Rider Gaim and Gokaiger (regardless of what people say, those are the least disputed classics of the modern era). Gokaiger is especially good as a comic fan, because as an anniversary show celebrating every Sentai, that feeling of comic's countless back issues is thrown in your face - yet it doesn't come off as feeling like you need a wikia page to understand the references.
>>
File: a10.png (8KB, 646x127px) Image search: [Google]
a10.png
8KB, 646x127px
>>15025728
>15k+ floppies,
That's only one floppy worth.
>>
File: 1479244869449.jpg (89KB, 475x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479244869449.jpg
89KB, 475x800px
If you dont like both kamen rider and spiderman, youre a faggot
If you like Rider or Sentai and haven't watched Ultraman and Ultraseven yet, then fuck you
And watch Zubat or you'll never get laid

Start with Black OP fuck all this new heisei gimmicky shit theyre recommending you
>>
>>15025630
>Surprisingly it really isn't that toy driven like drive and ghost were.
It is, most of the story so far moved forward because of the gashats. The fact that the story is good doesn't mean it isn't toy driven, it means the writer is doing a good job.

>>15025728
>Gokaiger is especially good as a comic fan, because as an anniversary show celebrating every Sentai, that feeling of comic's countless back issues is thrown in your face - yet it doesn't come off as feeling like you need a wikia page to understand the references.
As a fellow comic fan, it's way faster to watch a sentai show than to read decades of comics of a single character so it's not really a similar case. That doesn't justify starting with Gokaiger at all.
>>
>>15029705
How good is the internet connection in your mud-hut, Pedro?
>>
>>15029725
Give it a rest kid, Pedro must be a dirty brazilian but you are as biased as him.

OP W is still the best entrypoint, you can also try Kugga or Kabuto, most of KR shows are pretty good don't listen to the neo heisei elitists.
>>
>>15029705

but I dont like pokemon
>>
How about Decade? Sure it is shit, but at least it helps familiarize first timers to a good chunk of other riders
>>
>>15029715
It takes five minutes to read a modern comic, and ten minutes to read a silver age comic. So that's roughly a year of comics finished within an hour.

Contrast that wit one Sentai series taking 17-18 hours on average to finish.

Regardless, my point was that jumping into Sentai with Gokaiger is akin to getting into comics for the first time - there are obviously larger story elements/shared universe things going on, but you can enjoy the series without needing to know every little detail - though it's more fun if you do.

That's EXACTLY like comics.
>>
I only got into toku very late, despite being into asian trash culture since the mid 80s.

I'd reccomend Kamen Rider Amazon and Kamen Rider Kabuto as great starters, Magiranger was also stupidly fun.
>>
>>15036643
>Magiranger was also stupidly fun.
This. If you want to start sentai, Magiranger, Dekaranger, and Jetman are the way to go.
>>
>>15036660
Fuck anon, THANK YOU for mentioning Dekaranger, that's a wonderful starter, how could I forget that?
>>
>>15013604
>Kamen Rider 1 is based off a grasshopper you spider twat.

He could easily be mistaken for one of the Beetleā€™s suits though you stupid nigger.
>>
>>15014070
>Literally no bad entries
Sure, execept for everything made after Mebius?
>>
>>15014674
>half of faiz could have been solved by simply talking to each other
Gee wiz, it's almost as if the show has thematic elements about how people make their problems worse when they don't communicate with others properly. Let me guess, you also think Evangelion is stupid? Come to think of it, half of Harry Potter could have been solved if Harry had just sniped Voldemort in the head. I guess you're just too smart for the writers, anon!
>>
>>15043069
>>15043069
The main issue is that Faiz uses some really dumb writing for that, like no one ever thinking that a Rider being completely silent while doing something unexpected/uncharacteristic is suspicious and instantly assuming that it's the usual person under the armor.
>>
>>15038600
Oh my god fuck off you /co/mblr twat, go back to roleplaying as MLP Gamera or whatever diseased shit you do
>>
>>15045494
Joke
------------------
You
>>
>>15013566
Nerd
>>
Don't listen to this fucker >>15014070
Jetman is awesome. It's one of the few Sentai actually worth watching. Sun Vulcan is also good.

Watch Kamen Rider Black too.

These old series are well known, renowned, and popular for good reasons.
>>
>>15049361
>These old series are well known, renowned, and popular for good reasons
>muh Black

Nice try Pedro but I can bet money you've never seen anything made before Black.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.