[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can they be called turbo lasers if they travel much slower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

File: xwing.jpg (676KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
xwing.jpg
676KB, 1600x1200px
How can they be called turbo lasers if they travel much slower than regular lasers?
>>
>>14996118
Turbo obviously had a different definition a long time ago, in a galaxy far away.
>>
>>14996124
I suppose regular lasers there are called naturally aspired ones.
>>
>>14996118
Apparently running lasers through a turbine slows them down. Who knew?
>>
File: Proton_carbine.jpg (13KB, 565x262px) Image search: [Google]
Proton_carbine.jpg
13KB, 565x262px
I read once, and it was likely a fan explanation, that the "laser" portion of the weapon was simply the "propellant" for the actual "shell" which is a "plasma bolt". The plasma being the tabanna gas being super charged into plasma.

The "Turbo" in the name is suppose to mean that the tabanna gas is super charged more? IDK.

To me they aren't just lasers, they don't act like lasers. any high school student should be able to tell they don't act like lasers at all. In my Head cannon that are plasma weapons and as for the reason they are called lasers is... Lasers have something to do with "TURBO" charging the tabanna gas into plasma for the big boom.

Have sexy Proton Carbine.
>>
>>14996180
That's a g36 that isn't loaded.
>>
>>14996118
they had slower rate of fire, and slower turret traverse speed, but I've never heard of the actual shot being slow
>>
>>14996118
why didn't they just stick giant light sabers on them?
>>
I thought they were called turbo blasters because they're stronger. Like how the DS laser is called a superlaser.
>>
Why didn't they just shoot lightsabers at things? Or just like make a battering ram out of lightsabers and run into stuff. It would double as a shield because lightsabers reflect blaster shots.
>>
>>14996381
Only Jedi and Sith could create stable lightsabers that didn't explode, beam foils aside. And Jedi weren't fond of giving away or selling their iconic weapons, and Sith hoarded the strongest weapons to themselves.
>>
>>14996387
In this infinite timeline technology is so advanced to nearly do anything BESIDES figure out how those magic lightsabers work?
>>
>>14996396

They're made from crystals that are kinda limited in quantity.
>>
>>14996118
The damaging component of turbolasers and blaster cannons on capital ships and starfighters in Star Wars is invisible, the visible part isn't. Also news flash numb nuts: "lasers" is the most the common jargon in sci-fi fictions in West.

Blasters are called laser weapons repeatedly by characters in Star Wars but they are simply concentrated bolts of explosive plasma. Its something that almost all sci-fi-fantasy fictions do.
>>
>>14996118
>How can they be called turbo lasers if they travel much slower than regular lasers?

Turbo lasers : more powerful than standard lasers. Speed is irrelevant.
>>
>>14996409
*the damaging part is the part that moves at light speed and is invisible

This was based off a bunch of analysis done by Curtis Saxton, Mike Wong, and several others on how blaster bolts between starships and starfighters in RoTJ all hit each other with no lag in frame sequences before the visible components make contact.
>>
>>14996396
I imagine there's a kind of stigma behind wielding a lightsaber, the mechanics of its construction are really only known to the Jedi and Sith, and from the comics and shows and such the Jedi/Sith have to enter a trance and construct the saber with force kinesis.

>>14996407
Also this. After the Empire came into being the Emperor cracked down hard on all the known lightsaber crystal collection sites, so aside from the scarce few remaining, all crystals afterwards had to be artificially synthesized. Luke's green lightsaber had an artificial crystal he synthesized at Obi-Wan's house on Tatooine, and with Jedi fading into myth and the Sith into obscurity, saber weapons were largely lost tech for a while.
>>
>>14996396
>Infinite timeline
Are you dumb? Infinities stuff is non-canon to both pre-Disney and post-Disney Star Wars continuities/canons. Luke created an artificial lightsaber crystal because he never had the resources to gather one on his own at the time.
>>
>>14996381
in the old EU blasters and lightsaber both work on the same tech. The bolts and the blade are both plasma contained in a magnetic field.

so they are already shooting at lightsabers at things.
>>
>>14996180
they're called laser guns for the same reason our guns are called firearms, though
they don't actually shoot the fire, but they use it to propel a bullet.

this post makes no sense, though
>>
File: votoms.jpg (33KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
votoms.jpg
33KB, 350x300px
>>14996118

How do the damn things turn, their main engines have no thrust vectoring and they have no verniers or anything of the sort.
>>
>>14996118
BECAUSE LUCAS IS A HACK

Whenever something is retarded in SW, ESPECIALLY in terminology or names, this is the reason. Lucas is an aspie savant who needs handlers 24/7 or he will cover gold in his own shit.
>>
>>14996735
>His arms can't shoot fire.
I weep at your loss.
>>
Because it's a sci fi movie and the word turbo sounds like it means more powerful. If you want to argue further you have autism.
>>
>>14996118

I really wish we could get a new X-Wing game, or something like it out of Disney or whoever they contract out to. I bought the Lego Force Awakens game a fortnight or three weeks ago because it was on sale and I saw it had arcade flight sim sections in the screen shots. It's scratching the itch now that I've actually started playing it, but mostly just making me hanker for a real game of that type.
>>
>>14997253
>we will never get another factor 5 rogue squadron game
>>
>>14996124
Also it seems their definition of "minutes" in A New Hope at the end of the movie seems a bit off as well.
>>
>>14996180
Man, the EU really spoils a lot of things with half arsed explainations in an attempt to solidify Star Wars as genuine Sci-fi. Real Star Wars doesn't make sense, why can't they just be slow lasers?
>>
>>14998632

Why's that?
>>
>>14998899
You are really stupid. If you legitimately think common thrown around sci-fi jargon is meant to be taken at face value, you need to neck yourself.

>>14998916
There's no why's that, the guy is just dumb. The countdown timer on the Death Star entering the Yavin star system indicates it needs a half hour to move at its maximum speed to get around the gas giant Yavin to fire on Yavin 4. Its shown it takes less then 10 minutes for the Red and Gold squadrons to cross to the other end of the star system to attack the Death Star and the final battle over the Death Star and Luke's trench run take the remaining 20 minutes.

He's just really stupid.
>>
>>14998938

Doesn't the Death Star drop in close to Yavin, with the planet's body obscuring the Death Star from getting visual lock on the moon the Rebels are based on? I didn't think it was the other end of the system at least, though it's been a while since I watched.
>>
>>14998938
wasn't the timer just a thing that was shot as b roll with a straight countdown clock because they just fucked it up?
>>
>>14998961
No.
>>
File: 1458197240995.jpg (236KB, 1024x666px) Image search: [Google]
1458197240995.jpg
236KB, 1024x666px
>>14996985

The ships have weird reactionless drives, and the glowy bits on the back are just legally mandated running lights.
>>
File: 091208_votoms_1.jpg (90KB, 465x488px) Image search: [Google]
091208_votoms_1.jpg
90KB, 465x488px
>>
File: 1474461340514.gif (937KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1474461340514.gif
937KB, 480x270px
>>14998958
yeah, it's shown as basically in the same orbital altitude as Yavin 4, just presumably lower and catching up but still behind the gas giant

>>14998938
I dunno dude, I love the convoluted explanations of how things work. Inertial compensators, etc. Hell, some of the 'explanations' are just common sense. When I was in high school I had a physics professor that went on a rant about starwars and how they only 'jump to lightspeed' and how insufficient that was. But logically, it makes sense to say that in-universe as a colloquialism, because that's literally what you're doing. You're jumping to AND BEYOND lightspeed. Stuff like that.

Plus, in my book, sci-fi is just any story that relies on currently unachieved (often unachievable, unbeknownst to the author) science 'concepts' as part of the plot, which star wars does. As a result what is scifi changes with time, like how victorians thought space stations would be made of brick and shit, and how ancient civilizations made stories driven by magic, etc.

You COULD swap everything in star wars out with more mundane things, but frankly you could do that with anything. Even something as purely scifi as the Culture series, if you really tried. Solid stories with a nice genre wrapper. If you were to limit sci-fi to things that couldn't be swapped out, you'd have more or less an engineering dissertation, imo.

>>14996985
the X-wing's engines have thrust vectoring, but yeah, it's just sorta assumed that they have some sort of inertial maneuvering system. It looks like all ships have an "inertial compensator" so they don't regularly liquefy the crew with all the shit every ship in SW pulls, so it stands to reason that this or something like this can be used to create moments of inertia for the ship itself. Man, an IC failure would be pretty disgusting.

>>14997244
I mean technically it does. If we wanted to keep sperging out and explain it, a turbocharger just puts more (tibanna) gas into the cycle.
>>
>>15000487
Your physics professor sounds like a gibbering moron because the timer for the ANH Death Star battle was completely straight forward.
>>
>>15001338
It really isn't if you actually pay attention to it.
>>
>>14999079
I got the point of having thrusters hidden inside the chest coming out, but why the fuck do the thrusters in the shoulders come out? There's no need for it.
>>
>>15001372
It really isn't if you aren't a brain-dead chimp.
>>
>>15001399
>It really isn't if you unless you are a brain-dead chimp.
>>
>>15001403
>shrek text
>>
>>14998938
A thousand apologies Lord Edge, but some of us don't need the stupid stuff to be given 'reasonable' explainations in order to have fun.

If I too were an edgelord I could just as easily say you should kill yourself for craving stupid explainations and not being able to take shallow media at face value.
>>
>>15001399
>>15001403

It'd probably help if one of you explained your position, rather than just stating it. Especially the anon who thinks it has problems, since explaining why something has issues is more straightforward than explaining why something doesn't given that the latter may not have seen an issue the former could have seen.
>>
File: Imperial Missile Boat.jpg (320KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Missile Boat.jpg
320KB, 1920x1200px
Fuck lasers

Kinetics where it's at, dirty rebels
>>
>>15001846
That's the most generic ship I've ever seen.
>>
>>15001846
Looks like a discarded design for Captain Powers fighter.
>>
>>14996118
Same shit with gundam "beam" weapons.
Exploding projectiles are cooler than a single beam that slowly melt things.
>>
>>15001784
Literally (you) are retarded.
>>
File: bf353860.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bf353860.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>15001846
MOTTEKE
>>
File: XWA-Xg1-3d-new.jpg (125KB, 864x640px) Image search: [Google]
XWA-Xg1-3d-new.jpg
125KB, 864x640px
>>
>>14996130
Underated post.
>>
>>14996985
doesn't matter, that's the style of realistic.
>>
>>15007517

> Star Wars
> trying to be realistic
>>
>>15001384

They're shy
>>
File: Missile_Boat_Evolution.jpg (186KB, 512x1258px) Image search: [Google]
Missile_Boat_Evolution.jpg
186KB, 512x1258px
>>15001859
The design lineage became somewhat diluted when they tried to remodel it to be more like the Lambda shuttle.
>>
File: Proton_rifle.jpg (852KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Proton_rifle.jpg
852KB, 1280x1280px
>>
File: Malevolence_early_concept.jpg (148KB, 1280x883px) Image search: [Google]
Malevolence_early_concept.jpg
148KB, 1280x883px
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.