[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the fact that it's been 50 fucking years since tomino made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1479067157640.jpg (22KB, 458x456px) Image search: [Google]
1479067157640.jpg
22KB, 458x456px
the fact that it's been 50 fucking years since tomino made 0079 and we still know jackshit about the economy in UC really show makes me think about it's fanbase and franchise
>>
>>14989363
something something war economy, something something ID-tagged pilots in ID-tagged mobile suits
>>
It doesn't actually, for the simple reason there are very few pieces of fiction of any genre in any medium ever that we know anything about the economy of. Gundam just being one more doesn't make it exceptional at all. Not even as a long running series with multiple entries, since there are quite a few of those that's true of too.
>>
>>14989363
>the fact that it's been 50 fucking years
you're off by 13
>>
>>14989372
it's been 63 fucking years since 0079
>>
>>14989363

muh world building

muh lore
>>
>>14989363
>really show makes me think about it's fanbase and franchise
Kill yourself ESL.
>>
I'm sure the amazing Origin series will help with this. Did I mention that Origin is absolutely amazing? Amazing truly.
>>
>>14989443
пoшeл нa хyй
>>
>>14989451
Уж eбaть gorenje тo.
>>
Given it's fairly hard scifi, why would there be any reason to think its substationally different fomr the world economy today?

Or do you mean you want to know currency denominations and relative values? Like a if a baseline MS costs 400,000 woolongs or whatever?
>>
>>14989371
Gundam's just about on the same level as Star Wars and Trek. SW's economy is pretty extensively covered (or was until the canonocaust), and there are whole years-long flamewars devoted to the whole "no money" thing in Trek.

Maybe it's just none of it's gotten translated to English yet?
>>
>>14989469
>Gundam's just about on the same level as Star Wars and Trek.
In Japan.
A significantly smaller country than the USA, with very different cultural attitudes to media.

SW/ST are international phenomena, Gundam failed outside of Japan
>>
>>14989469

What part of Star Wars economy is actually covered, even in the old EU? I've not read all, or even close to all of the books, never mind the comics, games etc. but I don't recall the economy ever coming up in anything I've even read about. As to Star Trek, "no money/post scarcity" is as deep as I believe anything has ever gone on the actual economics of it. Beyond showing that Ferengi are greedy Jew stand ins and showing the actual business like Quarks.
>>
>>14989506
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_economy

You can go deeper, but keep in mind LF had a dedicated creative staff for the better part of two decades who did nothing but write article and short stories designed to do nothing more than world-build a millennia-old galactic-scale society. So I goes pretty deep.
>>
It's pretty clearly just free market capitalism as exists the western world over.
>>
They have the energy sold by Jupiter and mine rocks and shit for oil and minerals.

Foods are grown on Earth and colonies.

Not that hard to get.
>>
>>14989363
50 years? Common core strikes again.

Although logic would dictate that an all out global war killing a billion people doesn't help the stock market.
>>
>>14989469
Actually there are many Japanese scifi and fantasy book series with deep lore and world building. But they're all untranslated.

A famous example that was translated is LOTGH. But I also vividly recall 12 Kingdoms, a LN series that goes deeply into world building. And then there is Guin saga, a series that went on for decades.
>>
>>14989363
what's their currency? UC dollars?
>>
>>14989653
Either yen, USD, or """credits""".

They seem to be partial to gold bullion.
>>
>>14989657
>They seem to be partial to gold bullion.
Gold tends to be a good reserve currency.

>>14989363
Given how Gundam isn't radically different from us in a lot of ways, no replicators for example, do we really need a grand and in-depth economic perspective?
>>
>>14989747
Yeah until you get space metal refineries and oh hey look at all these heavy and precious metals.

I was always skeptical about 'space resources' until someone flatly pointed out to me the only reason O'Neil thought his cylinders were feasible was because even a single asteroid can contain more iron than has been utilized in mankind's entire history, making mass production of steel, therefore ships and stations, all but trivial.
>>
>>14989363
2016-1979=37
>>
>>14989609
>tfw it's been 50 years since common core

fucking commies
>>
>asking a neckautismo question without going to the neckautismo source

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7807

they use gira
>>
>>14989363

That they aren't lame asses who care about fictional economic systems ?
>>
>>14990583
see >>14990525

they use gira
>>
>>14989377

Goddamnit I laughed
>>
>>14989369
So, Metal Gear Solid 4? Wasn't this explained in Tomino's novel though? I think I read something about it.
>>
>>14989460

They have a substantial space presence. Their economy can't help be be drastically different from what we have today.

In a world were asteroid mining is a thing, a lot of materials we consider valuable are now greatly devalued. Gold, for example, is now worth less than PAPER. Not even paper money, just actual stacks of paper. Platinum is too.

Iron is about as common as sand, and just as easy to get in large quantities.
>>
>>14989637

World building isn't the same as economics. The two aren't interchangeable. Having world building doesn't automatically equate to having info on economics.
>>
>>14990254

A scarcity of raw materials is hardly the main reason that space colony construction is a daunting task. The actual construction and how long it would take, filling the completed colony with natural resources like soil and air, sculpting the landscape to mimic lakes, mountains etc is far more daunting. And it's not that any of them are impossible, just that it'd take a long, long time to do even one using anything like current technology.
>>
>>14989363
Who needs an economy when you have gold?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.