[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Go Nagai the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The avant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 1046061.jpg (48KB, 490x507px) Image search: [Google]
1046061.jpg
48KB, 490x507px
Is Go Nagai the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The avant garde styling of Nagai's characters and machines seems to be something that the mechanical designers and character designers of today seem to avoid entirely.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a case of it being something of a pinnacle in both Japanese art and Japanese story telling. The themes of post-humanism as well as strength through vanity seem so common and reoccurrent that I can't help but see it as a, not only a classic piece of mecha history, but as a piece of art to the world.

Why is it that NOTHING has come close to matching the quality of Nagai's art and story telling? Is the mediocrity of today's Japanese artist because of their blatant lack of skill, or is Nagai just among the greatest storytellers of the world?
>>
I like this thread unironically
>>
>>14981185

Nagai's greatest contribution to the world is Devilman. Everything else he has done is more or less forgettable.
>>
>>14981219
Hi Anime Suki!
>>
>>14981219
True.
>>
>>14981219
>>14981246
You know what else is true? You're a spic.
>>
>>14981219
That's not Harenchi Gakuen.

No one cares about Devilman except dumb eva fanboys.

Harenchi Gakuen was truly revolutionary for its time.
>>
>>14981371
Harenchi Gakuen is not that good though (except if you count only the first part) while Devilman stands alone as one of the best comics ever created and I say that as someone that doesn't particularly care about Eva.
>>
>>14981371
>>14981406
That's a gross exaggeration in both cases. Devilman is ok, but Nagai made his fame by appealing to the least common denominator.
>>
>>14981339
>tfw I am and seeing you try and meme arouses me.
>>
>>14981423
He made his fame by challenging censorship and inventing most of the popular anime genres. You wouldn't have your fucking madokas without him
He was a hippie in a repressive culture doing the only thing he could do: influence the young to make his hippie ways influence the culture, since nobody else was doing it in manga
That fake out ending to Harenchi Gakuen was fuckin glorious, especially for its time. Nagai deserves 4chan respect for his trolling of the PTA at the very least
>>
File: nagai on sexism.jpg (65KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
nagai on sexism.jpg
65KB, 500x420px
>NOTHING has come close to matching the quality of Nagai's art and story telling
>go nagai
>art
>>
>>14981147
>>14979203
>>14982037

You stupid fucks, don't in this thread.

((((((Them/IT)))))) is copy/pasta'ing.
All these thread are the same, just replace Getter/Sidnona/Dancouga/Go Nagi and it's the same.
>>
>>14981190

The list gets bigger. That is 5 confirmed copy/pasta
>>
Where the hell are the mods?
>>
>>14982185
Mods? What are those?
>>
>>14981961
what manga is this? google image search doesn't work
>>
>>14981603
It's funny how some like to try and downplay his importance.
>>
>>14981603
>>14983512
>He made his fame by challenging censorship and inventing most of the popular anime genres.
>It's funny how some like to try and downplay his importance.

Guys, really, go study any source that's not tvtropes or some sort of shitty resource. Really, I have heard this shit thousands of times and it's complete bullshit. If you say he helped to popularize some old forgotten ideas, like Cutie Honey parodying old works like Tarao Banai, Nanairo-Kamen, or whatever, I would be with you. But pretending Nagai brought anything new to the table? This is just pure ignorance.

This sounds like teenage talk, "baby's first classic mangaka" or whatever. Nagai himself would be the first to deny what you're saying here (except when his ego speaks louder and spawns stuff like "Star Wars might have ripped off my obscure ass manga"). His influence on people like Anno and other creators from this generation is solely because he was the big new thing by the time those people were young and easily impressionable. None of Nagai's ideas were that original, everything derived from something that came before (which, mind you, is not a bad thing. Everything in fiction derived from something else. But as far as manga is concerned, Nagai was not the first to do anything he's being attributed of). And he never reached even close to the level of ambition of people like Tezuka, Ishinomori or even Yokoyama. Nagai just hit the jackpot and gave up right there. Most of his works are him rehashing the exact same ideas that made him famous. He never grew out of it, he's a parody of himself these days. He came to this point where he just think he's some hot shit due to his past deeds and feel so comfortable with his own crap that he still feel and sound like a middle schooler making lame sex jokes because it's "lol, so funny, stick it to the PTA!". Feels like you guys just accepted these "facts" as some sort of sacred rule and never tried to question the authenticity of such claims.
>>
>>14983725
Holy autismo
>>
>>14983738
Is this the best you could come up with? Seriously?
>>
>>14983231
Cutie honey
>>
File: mazinger.jpg (528KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mazinger.jpg
528KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>14981961
That manga was awesome though
He even made fun of his own tropes in it
>>
>>14983231
Its a 90s or late 80s remake of cutie honey. Couldn't remember the specific name for it
Glasses boy is actually Honey
>>
>>14986713
Is the one in the back God Mazinger? What about the one furthest to the right?
>>
>>14987053
The red one and the one to the far right next to grendizer are italian fan creations iirc.
>>
>>14987069
Oh, ok. I mistook the red one for Energer Z
>>
Go Nagai has ruined Gundam with his Iron Menstruation Ovaries
>>
File: 1473277991402.jpg (102KB, 500x689px) Image search: [Google]
1473277991402.jpg
102KB, 500x689px
Ok, everybody stfu and look at this picture of his

this, my /m/en, is an image of a true auteur
>>
>>14987235
Post the pics of his MILF wife
Imagine all the kinky shit theyve done
>>
File: CyvPz9OUsAEtw7-.jpg (246KB, 1080x1640px) Image search: [Google]
CyvPz9OUsAEtw7-.jpg
246KB, 1080x1640px
Drawn by Obari (19)
>>
File: Mazinger.png (328KB, 426x405px) Image search: [Google]
Mazinger.png
328KB, 426x405px
>>
>>
>>14988241
Nice Ishikawa drawing
>>
>>14981603
Cute Honey ending was quite something too. Black Panther killing everyone on the academy even the lesbo room mate that honey fucked. i was not expecting it when I read it some years ago. Original Honey would also be a villain in todays mahou shoujo or any show in general. she don't think twice to trick, cheat, manipulate people and/or kill
>>
>>14988425
Yeah, it's so lazy and half-assed, it's unbelievable.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.