[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Giant Robo the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The avant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: gr.jpg (54KB, 733x599px) Image search: [Google]
gr.jpg
54KB, 733x599px
Is Giant Robo the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The avant garde styling of Yokoyama's characters and machines seems to be something that the mechanical designers and character designers of today seem to avoid entirely.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a case of it being something of a pinnacle in both Japanese art and Japanese story telling. The themes of post-humanism as well as strength through vanity seem so common and reoccurrent that I can't help but see it as a, not only a classic piece of mecha history, but as a piece of art to the world.

Why is it that NOTHING has come close to matching the quality of Giant Robo's art and story telling? Is the mediocrity of today's Japanese artist because of their blatant lack of skill, or is Imagawa just among the greatest storytellers of the world?
>>
>>14980999
Are we really going to make this a thing?
>>
Chinese people flying around is not art
>>
>>14980999
No one really denies that Giant Robo has some beautiful animation (on account of having a massive budget) and design work (although none of the characters were original). Most will say it has a downright incredible score as well.

Beyond that, it's just a kung fu movie with robots and a touch of retro science.

If you define "art" as something that defies convention, mecha in general has very little of that to offer and the only standout example I can think of is Five Star Stories. And I say this as someone who is very lukewarm on Five Star Stories.
>>
>>14981058
>If you define "art" as something that defies convention, mecha in general has very little of that to offer and the only standout example I can think of is Five Star Stories. And I say this as someone who is very lukewarm on Five Star Stories.

I like FSS a lot but I can hardly call it something that "defies convention", especially when it owes so much to Star Wars and Dune. It does have a very artistic vision to it but it's far from the only one to have artistic merit.
>>
>>14981106
I meant more in terms of structure than anything else, although I do think the setting is highly unique for an anime.

There are other works I'd consider to have artistic merit, but I wouldn't consider unconventional. Dougram, for example.
>>
>>14980999
>Is Giant Robo the closest mecha has to offer as an art?

In terms of animation quality, yes. GR is a fucking masterpiece in its animation.
>>
File: FIGURE-013901.jpg (166KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FIGURE-013901.jpg
166KB, 600x600px
Anyone know what's happening with this figure? Thought it was slated for an october release but it keeps getting pushed back.
>>
>>14981697
Just get the SRC baka.
>>
Art is shit, so anything that doesn't try to be art is good.
>>
>>14981003
It was a thing a few months ago.
>>
>>14981058
It's funny because this copypasta started as praise for FSS.
>>
>>14982316
No, it started from /tv/, for Ex Machina.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
Awesome only because of him, appearing for 5 seconds in the end.
Also because of the mix of characters from various Yokoyama's works. And perfect quality.
I'm sure the story would have rotated around Mars in the end. The perfect final and true menace.
>>
>>14982335
Nope. Take a look at the archives.
>>
>>14982363
Archives had been wiped from 2012 to mid 2015.

I'm not even sure if it started from ex Machina. But I know it came from /tv/.
>>
>>14982316
>>14982363
>>14982367
As long as it gives input for good discussions, I'm down for these copy-paste inputs
>>
>>14982367
Anon, it literally first came up back in April of this year.
>>
>>14982377
No, you idiot.

The threads and posts that were written from 2012 to mid 2015 were all deleted. Desuarchive couldn't save them.

That /tv/ copypasta was from that time and was permanently deleted.
>>
>>14982316
Just looked at it now, it was a pretty blatant shitpost. Using a picture of Nagano's ZZ when talking about FSS made it more than obvious. Someone even remarekd that it came from /tv/ too.

http://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14163453/
>>
>>14982412
Right, because it resurfaced spontaneously in late April and spammed on both /m/ and /tv/, right? Even /tv/ didn't recognize it when it came up with Mad Max.
And further discussions, such as one anon on /m/ referring to it as a great template (in response to the original FSS thread) and the original thread with the OP sperging out. All the evidence is available. It was conceived in the 26th of April and the only factor you have against that is your gut-feeling.
>>
>>14982437
Conveniently disregarding the fact that somebody said that they couldn't find any evidence supporting that, especially when the claim was both uncertain and claimed to have seen it within a few days prior, meaning that it would, in fact, be searchable if it indeed existed, which it didn't.
>>
>>14982443
>>14982439
There is no "gut feeling", I've seen this before on /tv/. Others like that anon have too, even if I'm not sure what he saw was around the same timeframe.

It may be possible that the recent string of copypastas from it were derived from that one particular FSS version of it, but the original version came straight from /tv/. It was more than obvious that OP was falseflagging (and certainly putting in more effort than those recent threads by pretending to reply once) and FSS shitposting is pretty common to begin with.

By the way, the old archives were still deleted by the time of that original post, so finding the original source was impossible even back then.
>>
>>14982455
Once more disregarding that /tv/ didn't recognize it either. You may be confusing it with another copypasta, at best, but you've got two accounts: one unreliable and contradicted by current capabilities and your own (either obtuse or misguided) anecdotal encounter.
Evidence is stacked against you.
>>
>>14982475
My account is no more reliable than yours. Unless either of us can find the old parts of the archives that were deleted, this argument isn't going to go anywhere.

Like I said before though, the current copypastas most likely originated from that FSS version of the copypasta, since it's in the existing archives, but that doesn't make the FSS version the original version.
>>
>>14982488
Take a look at 4plebs. It goes from April of 2013 to the current day, going by the current page-by-page results (stopped my search at page 89 which is around May of this year) from a search of "avant garde" with seemingly no lapses in time (if there are, they are oddly specific and never does anything close to losing an entire day of posts).

It's entirely possible for there to be confusion on what you saw (the buzzwords used aren't uncommon in /tv/), but as it stands, it would take an impossible string of coincidences, selective memory, and so-on to justify the argument for it originating on /tv/.
>>
>>14982512
>4plebs

Well I'll be, didn't know they restored the lost parts.

As it turns out the movie I was thinking of was Mad Max, but that came after the FSS version by a couple hours:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/68793033/

I guess it didn't originate from /tv/ after all.
>>
>>14982542
Sorry if I was being a dick in this conversation, anon.
>>
>>14982552
Nah, you presented a valid argument and supported it with solid facts. That makes it better than 90% of the shit that gets posted on /m/.
>>
>>
Honestly, Giant Robo has one of my least favorite art-styles for humans. Like Five Star Stories, however, the mecha designs are literally the best in the fucking industry, the only people who come close are redesigners like Obari or people who aren't normally INVOLVED in the mecha genre, like Amemiya.
>>
File: 3537232723_6afbf09ee6_b.jpg (354KB, 984x1024px) Image search: [Google]
3537232723_6afbf09ee6_b.jpg
354KB, 984x1024px
>>
>>14986514
Fuck off pleb
>>
File: Yokoyama-Front.jpg (2MB, 1407x1411px) Image search: [Google]
Yokoyama-Front.jpg
2MB, 1407x1411px
>>14986514
>i'd rather have modern generic boring designs over glorious yokoyama designs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgtNMdZtJUQ
>>
File: 5845.jpg (7KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
5845.jpg
7KB, 266x189px
>>
File: Bossmaner.png (54KB, 174x190px) Image search: [Google]
Bossmaner.png
54KB, 174x190px
>>14982475
>>14982488
>Arguing about the origin of copy pasta

Jesus Christ.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.