[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, where do I start with, like, super sentai and all that? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1480471597428.png (190KB, 500x769px) Image search: [Google]
1480471597428.png
190KB, 500x769px
So, where do I start with, like, super sentai and all that? I really want to watch this stuff, but I have no idea where to even begin.

That's probably not even the name of the entire genre but you get the idea.
>>
the genre is "tokusatsu"

Gokaiger is a big celebration of sentai and it spoils a few things but it's still a fun starting place and a good sentai 101, especially to someone uninitiated, because the case starts out unheroic and just wanting loot and has to learn what it means to be a super sentai

otherwise, just start with one you'd think you'd like because everyone will just post their favorites

for kamen rider i think starting with w, ooo, or fourze is good.
>>
File: Mebius.jpg (290KB, 600x796px) Image search: [Google]
Mebius.jpg
290KB, 600x796px
>>14977573
Well that's from the first episode of Ultraman Mebius

Maybe start there.
>>
you start by going to the general

>>14977595
gokaiger nearly spoils almost every series before it though, I would never recommend it to a beginner
>>
File: 1437285666225.jpg (2MB, 1200x4400px) Image search: [Google]
1437285666225.jpg
2MB, 1200x4400px
Are there guides like this for sentai and kamen rider?
>>
>>14977648
yes, ask in the general. they have everything there for you there.

MODS? Come close this!
>>
>>14977626
It spoils, in my opinion, two series. A lot of people say three but after 52 episodes you won't remember the intricacies of one line of dialogue from a guest character. Its a good show and you'd do well to watch it if you are willing to get excited to see a celebration of something you, yourself, have not seen.

Otherwise Zyuranger (the thing they made MMPR out of) is good if you are at all nostalgic for that, Zyuohger (the current series) is really fun and almost over so you can catch up in time to watch the last three or four episodes as they air and Shinkenger is a nice flashy series with fun gimmicks and interesting characters.

The Kamen Rider series to start with is W. If for some reason you really hate the two in one gimmick watch OOO (which was made the year after and repeats a lot of the same story beats, just a little bit worse in pacing) instead but really W is the way to go.

Other than those sentai/KR the big one I would recommend is the original GARO. Its only 24 episodes long so half the size of most of these but really good and aims at a teens to twenties audience instead of four to eights.
>>
>>14977573
Watch Garo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVb8674qho
>>
>>14977726
it spoils a lot, as a guy whose been watching sentai longer than most here. It spoils nearly all of them but some are minor and some are major

It spoils the plot twist of Shinkenger, A death of a character for Jetman, the Fate of a character in Gingaman, Ending of Gekiranger, Gai's character spoils the fate of 3 characters.

its alot and I dont remember most of it
>>
Dekaranger is a nice place to start.
still a lot of practical effects, a fun cast, and the gimmick of the cop show allows them to have a much deeper pile of cliche stories to pull from than usual

If you want "hahaha Japan is fucking crazy" then Zyuranger's not a bad place to start
>>
>>14977741
>I don't remember most of it

Neither will anyone who watches the show as their first sentai. The fact that you've been "watching sentai for longer than most here" actually makes you a bad judge of how much gets spoiled. As far as I am concerned the only things it gives away that will stick in people's minds for more than a day are from Jetman and Timeranger. The only other one I think is even debatable is the Shinkenger thing and I don't think you'll get the twist unless you know what the characters are talking about.
>>
Since this thread is here I might as well ask

Is that Ultraman with Miyano Mamoru in it any good? I like the guy. He is Gundam.

Never watched Ultraman before, though, is that an alright place to start?
>>
>>14977839

>>14939389
>>
>>14977573
Start with the movies. I personally recommend the Ultra Galaxy Battle movie. It's action packed. Sharivan's also a solid movie.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.