[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how come we don't see anymore mecha styled like the Dendrobium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 20

how come we don't see anymore mecha styled like the Dendrobium for the good guys?
>>
File: HG x RG Meteor Unit (12).jpg (72KB, 470x320px) Image search: [Google]
HG x RG Meteor Unit (12).jpg
72KB, 470x320px
>>
Hmm... Didn't Seed have one, at least in SRW?
>>
File: IMG_10682.jpg (153KB, 840x560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_10682.jpg
153KB, 840x560px
>>
>>14970511
Look above assoholic bitch
>>
File: Gnr-001e.jpg (206KB, 677x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gnr-001e.jpg
206KB, 677x600px
GN Arms aren't good enough?
>>
>>14970526
is it bad that I am imagining this as skis
>>
>>14970461
Didn't unicorn get a big dumb booster pack thing?
>>
File: GN_Arms_Type-D_Front_View.png (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
GN_Arms_Type-D_Front_View.png
2MB, 1024x576px
>>14970535
not really, they kind of look that way.
>>
File: FA096u.png (502KB, 768x575px) Image search: [Google]
FA096u.png
502KB, 768x575px
>>14970548
Not the same concept. Here you strap a mobile suit into something. With full "armor" Unicorn, they strapped all the shit directly onto the mobile suit. Sinanju inside of Neo-Zeon is a much better example of this type of deal.
>>
>>14970461
will they ever put this big guy in other SRW
>>
File: meg81987_0_1444121205.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
meg81987_0_1444121205.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
kinda
>>
>>14970593
No, see >>14970558
>>
>>14970461
>mecha styled like the Dendrobium
I believe the word you're looking for is "spaceship".
>>
>>14970461
big bad inhuman scary monster full of overwhelming weaponry isn't a good guy thing

normal powerful robot with lots of guns that would certainly lose but for some reason ends up winning out of protagonism, on the other hand
>>
>>14970461
Harder to make and sell larger merch.

A HG kit is pretty cheap, but the HG version of that is like 300? bucks.

I'm also sure the stores would rather have 10 kits that will sell quickly, rather than one big kit sitting around for a while taking up a large amount of shelf space.
>>
>>14970826
more like "toy compartment with action features to put your action figure in"
>>
>>14970461
It was a terrible idea and terribly executed. There is no point to putting a mobile suit inside a large weapons platform when the weapons platform can be piloted by someone else and be used more tactically and effectively. The MA component to the dendrobium is more useful as a stand-alone unit than how it was used, with a Gundam inside.
>>
>>14970558
>strap explosives
>armor
>>
>>14970509
>>14970526
GN Arms and Meteors are glorified giant backpacks.

Dendrobium is a proper mount.
>>
>>14972142
You do not understand anything about Gundam storytelling or logic. I can see why so many people on /m/ dislike you.

The Dendrobium was a extension of the GP-03. Yo give it to the best Gundam pilot, which was Kou. It was like giving someone who could draw really well with graphite pencil a graphics tablet and photoshop. It only enhanced what Kou could do. Giving it to someone else was pointless because putting a GM Custom with a grunt pilot into the Dendrobium would have made it far less effective
>>
File: 1406219461962.png (304KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1406219461962.png
304KB, 680x680px
>>14972692
>Implying Gundam 0083 is classic Gundam storytelling.
>>
>>14972692
His point is that it's illogical for the MA to need a mobile suit of any type plugged into it. It should have just been a mobile armor.

Seems like he gets Gundam logic (or in this case, lack thereof) pretty well.
>>
>>14972692
Except the GP03's cockpit and controls were completely different from what Kou was used to, and that was partly because the controls had to accommodate the Dendrobium.
>>
>>14974771
>His point is that it's illogical for the MA to need a mobile suit of any type plugged into it. It should have just been a mobile armor.Seems like he gets Gundam logic (or in this case, lack thereof) pretty well.

I agree. The whole gattai thing is just for "merchanise" purposes.
I never understood the in-universelogic of having mobile suits plug into what are glorified weapons platforms. Just fucking create a mobile weapons platform that doesn't need a mobile suit as control unit. Of course a Gundams series need a mid season upgrade so what's why we got the dendrobium. It's just stupid.
>>
>>14974797
>>14972142

Fuck all you niggers, Dendrobrium was a great idea. It's about fucking time that a Gundam protaganist piloted a mobile armor for change of pace. And from an action perspective it was really cool seeing two state-of-the-art mobile armors facing off against each other as the final fight.

>>14974797
>I never understood the in-universelogic of having mobile suits plug into what are glorified weapons platforms.
Well you're just a fucking nigger then. A very good reason is that mobile armors just tend to be very big targets, and eventually all that crap is gonna be fucked up in the heat of combat (which happens). So now you're just flying around with a hunk of metal that used to have a bunch of weapons and armor on it. Why continue supporting the dead weight? With a Mobile Suit as a control unit, you can eject out of the platform and continue to fight. If you paid a little fucking attention to the part where Kou ejected in the Stamen, you would have seen that the Gundam itself was otherwise perfectly intact.
>>
>>14974880
>Fuck all you niggers, Dendrobrium was a great idea. It's about fucking time that a Gundam protaganist piloted a mobile armor for change of pace. And from an action perspective it was really cool seeing two state-of-the-art mobile armors facing off against each other as the final fight.
Except the Neue Ziel was superior in every way. The Dendrobium was a hot mess. External weaponry that's vulnerable to any sort of conventional weaponry? An I-field mounted like a fucking jet turbine on the side? Half the fucking thing is just explosives on the weapons rack, one bad move and the entire thing could go off.

The Neue Ziel was exactly the perfect weapon with internally mounted I-fields, rocket claws, and more beam cannons than a flagship battleship like the Pegasus classes. If they had made it out of Gundarium it would've won the final battle against the feddie fleet and Gato would still be alive.
>>
Gato is a hero!

Zeon forever!
>>
>>14974892
>internally mounted
What the fuck is it protecting then
>>
File: latest.jpg (743KB, 2122x1653px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
743KB, 2122x1653px
Can somebody tell me what the purpose of all those fins protruding out the backside of the Dendrobium are for?
>>
The Dendrobium is probably my favorite UC design alongside the Hi Nu
>>
Here's my beef with the Dendrobiums, Neo Zeongs, Meteors, whatever. By having a smaller mobile suit inside, you're limiting the unit's performance by relying on the mobile suit's inferior range, not to mention it can barely turn its head to spot targets.

The Big Zam was built with a control unit built in and a monoeye that can move freely. Its not a Zaku wearing boots.

Every Zeon mobile armor, including the Neue Ziel are built as standalone units that can function independently, and don't need mobile suits inside of it
>>
>>14974919
Wasn't the point of the MS inside the Dendrobium so the pilot could escape in case it was damaged?
>>
>>14974902
The entire machine. I-field generators never need to be externally mounted. The only reason why I would imagine the I-field generator needed to be externally mounted is for ease of access when servicing the machine, or maybe it's part of the cooling design.

>>14974904
If they're like the random fins that some other UC ships and MS have, they're for cooling (as a heatsink or radiator). That might explain why they're located near the engines, and why there are also fins on the the beam cannon and beam sabre claws which also produce heat.
>>
>>14974927
They could have done that without the MS. Even the GP01 had a core fighter, there's no reason why they couldn't just stick a corefighter in the middle of a MA and then have it eject like the Gundam's core fighter.
>>
>>14974927

Mobile armors were made to support mobile suits and the entire fleet as a whole as it could attack battleships and MS alike. They were also disposable just like every other piece of military hardware. Its not like the mobile suit inside can't get damaged as well.

The GP-03 is also kind of a dumb design since its sole purpose is to pilot the Orchis. Yes it has a beam rifle and a shield, but wasn't that what the GP-01 built for? Why have 2 prototype mobile suits to do the exact same thing?
>>
>>14974944
I'd imagine the GP-03's purpose was to test how a mobile suit-armor combination could work, you people seem to be forgetting its a prototype not a mass produced model
>>
>>14974919
The Neo Zeong ain't lacking in guns, that's for sure.
>>
>>14974956

But why have 2 prototype Gundams that do the same thing? Why not have the GP-01 fit inside of it as well? Or the GP-02 for that matter.
>>
>>14974965
Because they're not doing the same thing. The GP01 was designed to test a gundam that could operate under any conditions in any location. The GP03 was designed to test how a combination between a mobile suit and a mobile armor could work
>>
>>14974969

But the GP-03 without the Orchis is the same thing as the GP-01, its just a Gundam. All 3 prototypes were built at the same time, its not like they were planning on the Zephyrantes to get destroyed.
>>
Remember, the GP-04 was scrapped and turned into the Tetra because it did everything the GP-01 did, only the GP-01 did it much better.
>>
>>14974980
I'd imagine the designs between the GP01 and GP03 are DIFFERENT to accommodate the fact that they were designed for DIFFERENT purposes. If they made the GP01 able to combine with the Orchis, it'd probably have to give up parts of the design meant to accommodate working in certain conditions
>>
>>14974980
>>14974985
With this, it must be concluded that only the GP-02 is the non-standard prototype.

0083 rebellion revealed it's built by Zeonic staff anyway, which explains why.
>>
File: GP00.jpg (441KB, 1236x1650px) Image search: [Google]
GP00.jpg
441KB, 1236x1650px
>>14974969
The point is that those things aren't mutually exclusive, and that building two of a single design could have fulfilled both roles rather than two separate machines with different design. It'd have been more efficient and taken less development time, anyway.

However, people tend to forget that Anaheim's GP project was a "no expenses spared" program where AE was showing off and trying to impress the EFF as a potential customer by showing them that although MS are a relatively new technology and they are a "new" weapons contractor just entering the business, they have what it takes to make the biggest and best. Not all of the GP prototypes have to make sense or be practical - it's extremely unlikely that any of the machines would be adopted for actual deployment or mass production, and they're very literally just technology demonstrators. Maybe some of the technology would trickle down into future production machines, but it'd be a byproduct of the GP program rather than an intended outcome.
>>
File: page106-107.jpg (1MB, 2258x1600px) Image search: [Google]
page106-107.jpg
1MB, 2258x1600px
>>14974989
Wouldn't the fact that the GP01 being versatile and adaptable make it more suited for docking with the GP03D?

I mean, when it comes down to it, the only thing about the GP03S that makes it suitable is the docking-compatible binder backpack and the folding subarms, both of which could be retrofitted to the GP01.

>it'd probably have to give up parts of the design meant to accommodate working in certain conditions
What parts are those? If we're going by the recent 0083 Rebellion manga, then the GP01 already has to undergo a minor refit to be adapted to different conditions (like the underwater gear that requires swapping armor and addon thrusters). Why would that be any different than having to give up other parts of the design for working in different conditions?
>>
>>14974919
By the end of 0083 nearly all mobile suits had panoramic cockpits which meant they had cameras everywhere so you didn't need to turn the mobile suit's head to look for targets

So inferior range isn't an issue when they see everything anyways
>>
>>14975008
>Wouldn't the fact that the GP01 being versatile and adaptable make it more suited for docking with the GP03D?

No, the Physalis is meant to work under any condition environmentally, as in on Earth, in Space, etc, not throwing it into an MA

>>14974919
>Here's my beef with the Dendrobiums, Neo Zeongs, Meteors, whatever. By having a smaller mobile suit inside, you're limiting the unit's performance by relying on the mobile suit's inferior range, not to mention it can barely turn its head to spot targets.
Yes but what's stopping them from just putting supplemental sensors on the MA itself? Absolutely nothing; this is a moot point

>>14974927
This guy gets it

>>14974937
Alright listen up nigger; a core fighter will never have the combat prowess, let alone the survivability of a fucking Gundam. With the option of escaping in a Gundam, you have a much better chance of surviving, and can even continue to fight after ejection.
>>
>>14974892
I guess you're right, but remember, Dendrobrium was a test unit so the designs for it were roughly experimental at best, I don't think the Anaheim girl who was working on it intended for that to be the final design
>>
>>14975206
Physalis is the GP02A. If you're talking about the GP01, then I have to point out that it *doesn't* work in every environment. It needed an overhaul for space use and extra parts for water use.
>>
>>14975225
Oh shit, my bad, Zephyrantes.

Those parts were all designed specifically for the Zephyrantes though, part of the research goal. The designers of Dendrobrium and Zephyrantes are two different girls pursuing different ends in their designs.
>>
>>14975239
There's a lot of overlap in utility between the base GP01 and GP03S suits. If the GP01 had the docking binders, it'd fit inside the GP03D. Or the GP03S could just replace the GP01 since it can carry the same weapons and has higher specs. Just like how the GP04G was canceled in favor of the GP01Fb, since they did the same things, had similar specs, and had a lot of overlap in utility.

>The designers of Dendrobrium and Zephyrantes are two different girls pursuing different ends in their designs.
We already know they're different teams. We're saying they didn't have to be. Just like how the
>>
>>14975214
>Dendrobrium was a test unit so the designs for it were roughly experimental at best, I don't think the Anaheim girl who was working on it intended for that to be the final design
They're all experimental designs. Of course, it doesn't mean they can't be changed, but nothing indicated that the GP03D wasn't finished. In fact the girl in charge of the GP03 project says it's already complete, as in they've stopped construction on it, and it merely needs a pilot.
>>
>>14975268
And just for further proof, she really does consider its design finalized.
>>
Can y'all chill? The Dendrobium just looks fucking cool
>>
>>14974880

Take a breath man, and remember to screw some black chick. That's going to calm your "nigger hate" and then some.
>>
>>14975282
Oh rip. I guess I forgot about her saying that.
That is fucking retarded then lol, although I guess with Neue Ziel primarily using beam weapons the exposed I-Field generator wasn't really a problem (Gato's I-Field gets disabled too IIRC, as Ryu from MSG would demonstrate all it really takes is a hard knock to the approximate position of the emitter)
The thing about the external weapons I guess is that there's just SO MANY weapons on Dendrobrium that there's really no other place to put it. The intention is that you'll fire them off to begin with anyways which is precisely what Kou did. You could argue that it's a bad choice to have so many weapons to begin with but honestly, that all gets canceled out the moment Kou deploys that fucking Micro Missile canister.

MMMMMMHHHHH.
>>
>>14975306
Admit it. The Dendrobium is a shit idea and a shit design.
>>
>>14975306
>(Gato's I-Field gets disabled too IIRC, as Ryu from MSG would demonstrate all it really takes is a hard knock to the approximate position of the emitter)
You're thinking of the wrong person, Ryu died by plowing into Hamon's Magella top gun turret. You might have been thinking of Sleggar who rammed the Big Zam from underneath, but that didn't disable the I-field. The I-field was still active when Amuro stabbed the Big Zam, he just activated the beam sabre inside the I-field so it wouldn't be blocked if he tried to stab it from outside the I-field.

If I remember correctly, the Neue Ziel loses its I-field because it suffered widespread damage to the body after being caught in the Solar System's light ray.

>The thing about the external weapons I guess is that there's just SO MANY weapons on Dendrobrium that there's really no other place to put it. The intention is that you'll fire them off to begin with anyways which is precisely what Kou did. You could argue that it's a bad choice to have so many weapons to begin with but honestly, that all gets canceled out the moment Kou deploys that fucking Micro Missile canister.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with the weapons. I was a bit disappointed that the Gundam itself didn't get to shine much outside of the mobile armor, but I guess the main highlight was seeing some mobile armor action instead of just more MS action.
>>
>>14975312
But MICRO MISSILES
>shit design
okay mr my-gunplas-are-shitty

>>14975321
Yeah it is kinda weird how they even show Kou ejecting from the Dendrobrium in the Stamen 100% intact but then nothing happens and we dont even get footage of him moving around with the gundam by itself really.

>Sleggar
yeah, that's the guy lol. I didn't know he wasn't able to disable the I-Field though! That feeeeels baaad man. Here I thought his death WASNT in vain.
>>
File: 1263862050945.png (7KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
1263862050945.png
7KB, 210x210px
>>14975342
>okay mr my-gunplas-are-shitty

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>14975268
>>14975282
Why was early Anaheim full of hot sluts?
>>
>>14975351
They bought them cheap when Zeonic and Zimmad were liquidating their companies after the OYW.
>>
>>14970461
Got too big. Katoki'd up slim mechs that move like super sayins are much more popular now a days. On top of that (and the real reason) is cause they can't really make scale model kits of the Denbrodium cause it's too big. Way better to make something small so they can milk the model kit potential.
>>
>>14975351
Ain't nothing wrong with being dedicated to her husbando
>>
File: tmp_23276-PC011832-1945775918.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23276-PC011832-1945775918.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>14972142
It was a terrible idea and terribly executed. There is no point to putting a fighter jet inside a large weapons platform when the weapons platform can be piloted by someone else and be used more tactically and effectively. The Mobile Suit component to the Gundam is more useful as a stand-alone unit than how it was used, with a fighter inside.
>>
File: gudnam.jpg (56KB, 550x440px) Image search: [Google]
gudnam.jpg
56KB, 550x440px
>>14976395

Well, you aren't wrong. The core fighter was stupid.
>>
File: 1407792017265.jpg (51KB, 299x353px) Image search: [Google]
1407792017265.jpg
51KB, 299x353px
>>14976504
>core fighter was stupid

t. only seen the first three series
>>
>>14976520
>dumping parts of your giant robot out of a ship and then assembling them in the middle of a battlefield under enemy fire isn't stupid.
>>
>>14976395

thats a really fucking stupid comparison though.
the gundam had a core fighter because its flight data was more important than the MS itself
>>
File: If only tem ray didn't go nuts .jpg (38KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
If only tem ray didn't go nuts .jpg
38KB, 500x350px
>>14976582
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Gundam, is in fact, Core Fighter/Gundam, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Core Fighter plus Gundam. Gundam is not an mobile weapons system unto itself, but rather another attachable component of a fully functioning Core Fighter system made useful by the Core Fighter cockpit, controls, and vital system components comprising a full Mobile Weapon as defined by the EFSF.
>>
>>14976675
It's funny to me how well this meme works here.
>>
File: GP03 nose.jpg (210KB, 816x509px) Image search: [Google]
GP03 nose.jpg
210KB, 816x509px
The GP03D was designed with area penetration and denial in mind. It's meant to enter a conflict zone, penetrate deep in, establish a new frontline and hold it until reinforcements move up to occupy it.
It initially came with additional one off nose cone armor to shield and defend the core unit, the GP03S. The GP03S was meant for the pilot to be able to survive the final moments of the mission while still being able to attack/defend the area using weapons from the containers in the event the shuttle unit was damaged and unable to move.
>>
>>14972171
>explosives explode when you shoot them hurr hurr
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/fishing-with-grenades-and-cooking-with-c4-a-veterans-vietnam-food-memories-104572114/
>>
>>14974892
>Half the fucking thing is just explosives on the weapons rack, one bad move and the entire thing could go off.
THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU IGNORANT LITTLE SHITS.

FUCK.
>>
>>14977554
While this is true about regular sized guns shooting regular sized bullets, it doesn't work the same way for tank-sized guns and autocannons and giant rocket launchers and beam guns that melt through shit.

You'll notice how there isn't much concern over a soldier's ammunition or grenades getting hit, since it's quite unlikely to do anything other than pass through and hit the soldier, but tanks often have all kinds of effort put into preventing or mitigating ammunition rack hits, from wet storage to stowage behind blow-out panels.

Most Mobile Suit scale weapons ought to detonate even the stubbornest of high explosives just out of sheer fucking scale.
>>
>>14976675
is that the fucking Stargazer and Wing Gundam in the background?
>>
>>14978125
Yes, they are
>>
>>14978125
>>14978167

We just couldn't understand his genius.
>>
>>14974892
You realize when you word it like that, it just makes the Dendrobium more of an underdog, and thus cooler, right?
>>
>>14974892

A lot of the damage the Neue Ziel suffered was from beams or high speed impact. Constructing it out of Luna Titanium/Gundarium wouldn't have done much, if anything, because while it is physically tougher, it's not tough enough to survive any physical impact. And slamming in to the hull of a spaceship at high speed when already damaged from earlier battles isn't something Gundarium is likely to be capable of surviving.

>>14976395
>>14976582

The core fighter and escape pods in units like the Sazabi are only a thing because it's cost and resource effective to include them in the unit. The primary cost concern being that training and replacing pilots is a long and expensive business, so giving them an escape option so they can fight again is worth the money. Which is a good part of why escape pods have no weapons or defenses, because adding them would be more expensive again. The other part being that doing so makes it a target, where if it's just an escape pod, not only is it smaller and thus easier to miss, but enemies are more likely to leave it alone since they're aware both that it cannot hurt them and that it cannot fight back if they try to hurt it. Not all enemies will leave escape pods alone, but enough will that it's worth the cost.

The Core Fighter was included in the Gundam because the data was deemed so valuable that every measure was taken to ensure it wouldn't be lost, including adding a larger sub unit with weapons of it's own so that the data could be doubly protected. Also because the Core Fighter was meant to dock with multiple units and not just the Gundam, the Guncannon and Guntank. It had to have that internal mechanism to allow the pilot that versatility as well as to protect themselves between docking maneuvers.
>>
>>14978629

The Stamen comes down to cost and resources. If the people making it thought that the pilot or something within the unit was worth protecting, then it's good sense to ensure that protection. If not, then it isn't and the resources and money spent on making it separate units is better spent on another unit that can support it in battle. I don't recall anything about the Stamen or Dendrobium that makes it so invaluable it cannot afford to be destroyed personally, so it seems wasteful to me. Still cool though, and that's really all that count.
>>
>>14978077
but with tanks its the powder that goes, not the actual rounds. Its the future, and space they could have some highly stable explosives, or they could be using super compressed air for propellent. Anyways explosive ordnance attached directly to the unit only gets more dangerous the longer its not fired or if its hit.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.