[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is /m/ really that cool with all the stuff that goes down in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 7.bd-j.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7.bd-j.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Is /m/ really that cool with all the stuff that goes down in GitS? Some of it really some dark, grungy stuff, and for all the hooting and hollering we do as Americans, we seem to really get fucked (or to fuck ourselves) over. I love the Major as much as anyone, but as an exercise in examining the notions of patriotism and the supposed moral ambiguity of the application of military/martial power, it leaves me feeling uncomfortable. I don't like to think that that's the way the world is or can be. It's like someone turned Mattis into a Japanese cartoon.
>>
>>14957897
I'm not sure what your issue is honestly. The fact that GITS openly displays realpolitik to some degree ?
>>
One thing to remember is that Shirow really hates America. It's a theme in both GitS and Appleseed, America is the bad guy that does bad things if it furthers their own goals.

That being said, it's stupid to pretend that the US is really as heroic and noble as its citizens would want to believe. Look at all the shit that was committed in South America from Eisenhower (who we love to extoll as one of the greatest generals of WWII and who we pretend was equally great during his presidency) to Nixon (who's in an entire class by himself) and maybe even up to Reagan, the destruction of civil liberties and torturing of suspected terrorists at Guantanamo under George W. Bush, killing civilians in Pakistan with drone strikes and picking and choosing (and abandoning) allies of convenience in Syria under Obama, the list goes on. Ignoring the faults of your own country while exaggerating its greatnesses is something that happens everywhere, but a true patriot recognizes the flaws of their own country and loves it anyways.

It's impossible to have a perfect country, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't work towards that. If you've heard the quote "My country, right or wrong." it's usually a good idea to look up the rest of it:

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”
>>
>>14957897
Most of the political aspects of GITS:SAC were borrowed from the Appleseed manga. In any case, I wouldn't really consider Motoko to be a patriot because her loyalty isn't to the Japanese government: she believes in individualism and free will, and she fights against the misuse of technology to deprive people of individualism and free will.
>>
>>14957959
Shirow says very little about America in the original GITS. In Appleseed, he had a fairly interesting idea that the red states would form Imperial Americana and the blue states would become Communist.
>>
>>14957959
>One thing to remember is that Shirow really hates America.

I swear you guys make shit up about authors just to justify whatever obtuse political opinion you have.
>>
>>14957897
What are you even talking about you gigantic faggot.
>>
>>14958105
People who make posts like this should be permabanned tbhfam. It's the definition of a shitpost.
>>
File: 1479790490890.jpg (954KB, 500x3899px) Image search: [Google]
1479790490890.jpg
954KB, 500x3899px
>>14957897
That's implying that everyone on /m/ is American
>>
>>14957959Its also stupid for japan to pretend we're some evil empire just because we fucked them up once
Otherwise, the Koreans Hatred would be more justified
>>
>>14957959
>but a true patriot recognizes the flaws of their own country and loves it anyways.
That seems kind of dangerous. A country, like a corporation, is a non human entity that seeks only to expand its own power and success, and to which its members/employees/inhabitants are merely a means to an end. Only while most corporate employees have no special loyalty to their company, people will die and kill over the arbitrary notion of geographical proximity and feel proud about it to boot. A patriot loves a monstrous selfish inhuman entity that has no regard for them except as a tool, it just seems kind of wacked out and culty. And while I get that being wacked out and culty is kind of a thing in America given how it was formed largely by some of the loonier Christians ditching Europe, it always annoys me to see people in, say, my own country acting like that.
>>
>>14957897
There is nothing wrong being uncomfortable with it, you should be uncomfortable. It shows you don't want the world to be that way. It shows that you want things to improve.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.